Supernatural Forums

Tuesday 9:00 PM on The CWBetween Seasons

Official Discussion Thread: My Heart Will Go On (possible spoilers)

MajLorne

[61]Apr 20, 2011
    • level: 21
    BarryWeen3 wrote:

I liked that the episode began with the changed timeline. It was a funny if false reason to save the Titanic and I actually agree with it, I didn't dislike the movie that much, but considering how much it was hyped and the Celene Dion song being played over and over, I grew to hate Titanic and that song associated with it.

It also cemented in my mind that the academy awards are a farce when it won best picture that year in comparison to the other movies it was up against: L.A. Confidential, Good Will Hunting,As Good AsIt Gets, The Full Monty. Plus it didn't win a single acting award and wasn'teven nominated for best original screenplay.

That whole scene after Castiel reveals to the boys thatFate is after them was hilarious as they see all these things coming at them that could cause their death. "They're juggling knives and hatchets!!"

The boys in a western, yeah, bring on next week.

Eh, titanic wasn't that bad. Overhyped? Yes, but I think it was worthy to be best pic. It can be hard to pick a best out of a few good choices.

totally agreed about the awards being a farce though. 2009, Dark Knight was totally snubbed. I wasn't expecting it to win best pic [Iron Man was also awesome, but its director wasn't even nominated either]. Some foreign film won best pic [when they already had a seperate category for best foreign pic]. So 2009 was the final nail on the coffin for me about my thoughts on that show.

As for this episode: Loved it. Balthazar is my favorite character, that actor is just awesome [loved him on fringe, so sad they offed his character]. I.P. Freely, awesome fake name And then the freeze frame when he was holding his dagger near Fate's neck.

I'm just glad I'm able to record this show while watching Fringe. I hate how both are pitted against each other. I love them both. But at least I can always go back and rewatch segments of SPN that I really liked.

If they keep Balthazar through the end of the season [and hopefully if there's another season], I'll have an incentive to keep watching this show.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

supering

[62]Apr 21, 2011
    • level: 20
    I'm almost annoyed at how easily Sam and Dean accepted that their reality was a fake one. For them, then and there, it was real. The ep was sort of slow, and, I don't know.. it seemed a little off to me, I guess partly because they found it too easy to accept that everything they knew and remembered was wrong. Thinking of WIAWSNB Dean rememberred his actual life, but still believed the life he was currently living was real. Here they didn't remember any other life, but they had no problem believing their current lifes were fake. The only problem they had with altering it back was the thought of Ellen and Jo dead.
    The ep picked itself up several levels when Cas showed up and we got to know what was really going on. Cas was very sneaky, enjoyed seeing a new side of him.

libra113

[63]Apr 21, 2011
    • level: 27
    MajLorne wrote:
    BarryWeen3 wrote:

I liked that the episode began with the changed timeline. It was a funny if false reason to save the Titanic and I actually agree with it, I didn't dislike the movie that much, but considering how much it was hyped and the Celene Dion song being played over and over, I grew to hate Titanic and that song associated with it.

It also cemented in my mind that the academy awards are a farce when it won best picture that year in comparison to the other movies it was up against: L.A. Confidential, Good Will Hunting,As Good AsIt Gets, The Full Monty. Plus it didn't win a single acting award and wasn'teven nominated for best original screenplay.

That whole scene after Castiel reveals to the boys thatFate is after them was hilarious as they see all these things coming at them that could cause their death. "They're juggling knives and hatchets!!"

The boys in a western, yeah, bring on next week.

Eh, titanic wasn't that bad. Overhyped? Yes, but I think it was worthy to be best pic. It can be hard to pick a best out of a few good choices.

totally agreed about the awards being a farce though. 2009, Dark Knight was totally snubbed. I wasn't expecting it to win best pic [Iron Man was also awesome, but its director wasn't even nominated either]. Some foreign film won best pic [when they already had a seperate category for best foreign pic]. So 2009 was the final nail on the coffin for me about my thoughts on that show.

As for this episode: Loved it. Balthazar is my favorite character, that actor is just awesome [loved him on fringe, so sad they offed his character]. I.P. Freely, awesome fake name And then the freeze frame when he was holding his dagger near Fate's neck.

I'm just glad I'm able to record this show while watching Fringe. I hate how both are pitted against each other. I love them both. But at least I can always go back and rewatch segments of SPN that I really liked.

If they keep Balthazar through the end of the season [and hopefully if there's another season], I'll have an incentive to keep watching this show.
    Well, the Oscar judges are a bunch of old fogies who tend not to reward movies that have any element of sci-fi or fantasy to it whatsoever so movies like "Batman" or "Ironman" have zero shot.

They would rather give the reward to something 'classy' and 'prestigious' than something that might actually be better.

libra113

[64]Apr 21, 2011
    supering wrote:
    I'm almost annoyed at how easily Sam and Dean accepted that their reality was a fake one. For them, then and there, it was real. The ep was sort of slow, and, I don't know.. it seemed a little off to me, I guess partly because they found it too easy to accept that everything they knew and remembered was wrong. Thinking of WIAWSNB Dean rememberred his actual life, but still believed the life he was currently living was real. Here they didn't remember any other life, but they had no problem believing their current lifes were fake. The only problem they had with altering it back was the thought of Ellen and Jo dead.
    The ep picked itself up several levels when Cas showed up and we got to know what was really going on. Cas was very sneaky, enjoyed seeing a new side of him.
    You've traveled through time and seen fake realities and all that before you're a bit more open to the chances that you're memories MIGHT be playing tricks on you. Nice to see SOME sign that they're learning from their past for a change instead of doing the same boneheaded stuff over and over again no matter how bad it turns out.

Edward_Nigma

[65]Apr 21, 2011
    • level: 54
    Ugh...Atropos is by far the strongest of the three fates -- she cuts the thread of life! Way to mess that up Supernatural.

libra113

[66]Apr 21, 2011
    Riddle me this (pun intended): How exactly did they mess it up?

MajLorne

[67]Apr 21, 2011
    • level: 21

libra113 wrote:
    Well, the Oscar judges are a bunch of old fogies who tend not to reward movies that have any element of sci-fi or fantasy to it whatsoever so movies like "Batman" or "Ironman" have zero shot. They would rather give the reward to something 'classy' and 'prestigious' than something that might actually be better.
    Yeah that's true. But a fantasy film: Lord of the Rings 3:RotK won best picture [granted probably to make up for the snubbing of the first 2 movies]. But yeah snubbing both Batman and Ironman, while in the next year they had Avatar nominated [which was nice], but it lost to some movie that had a tiny fraction of what Avatar made at the box office.

It just shows they don't know what the hell they are voting for.

Edited on 04/21/2011 8:59pm

libra113

[68]Apr 22, 2011
    Well, yeah it was pretty much common knowledge that "Lord of the Rings: Return of the King" won all thoes rewards based on the merits of the story as a whole. I should also point out that "Lord of the Rings" are based on books that have reached the point of classic liturate so, yeah, while it has fantasy elements it's considered such a classic as to negate that (also I suspect the recurring rumor, which Tolkein always denied, that it was a metaphor for WWII and the current climent probably helpped it a lot).

As for "Avatar" that's another game they play, they nominate popular stuff to keep people happy knowing it hasn't got a chance outside of technical and effects awards.

Seems to me the whole thing is major league rigged, I recall one year people were complaining that there were no idie films being nominated then next year it was all indie films. The whole thing is so bogus.

BarryWeen3

[69]Apr 22, 2011
    • level: 14

Just a reminder to me how much I must have blocked out the movie Titanic, I just realized what the hell the title of this episode was referring to.

libra113

[70]Apr 22, 2011
    BarryWeen3 wrote:

Just a reminder to me how much I must have blocked out the movie Titanic, I just realized what the hell the title of this episode was referring to.

Wow, wish I could reach that level of denial.

What REALLY bugged me is essentially it's no diffrent than the million of other Titanic movies made before it but somehow it got all that attention.

What's the big deal? Better effects? Hardly a reason to like a movie like that. Leonardo whatshisface? Hardly that big a deal really?

Still, it seems most of the fans of the movie were 13 year old girls who, stupidly, thought it was a totally true account of the event.

I seem to recall there happened to be a ship's stoker (the guy who stokes the coal for the engines)with the same name as Leo's character and a lot of stupid people (young girl fans) were going to this grave and leaving him flowers thinking he was like in the movie. Talk about not being able to seperate fiction from reality, almost as bad as people who thought "The Blair Witch Project" was real.

BarryWeen3

[71]Apr 22, 2011

libra113 wrote:
    BarryWeen3 wrote:

Wow, wish I could reach that level of denial. What REALLY bugged me is essentially it's no diffrent than the million of other Titanic movies made before it but somehow it got all that attention. What's the big deal? Better effects? Hardly a reason to like a movie like that. Leonardo whatshisface? Hardly that big a deal really? Still, it seems most of the fans of the movie were 13 year old girls who, stupidly, thought it was a totally true account of the event. I seem to recall there happened to be a ship's stoker (the guy who stokes the coal for the engines)with the same name as Leo's character and a lot of stupid people (young girl fans) were going to this grave and leaving him flowers thinking he was like in the movie. Talk about not being able to seperate fiction from reality, almost as bad as people who thought "The Blair Witch Project" was real.

Blair Witch was another weird experience. First time I saw it by myself, I thought it was somewhat interesting and different. Wouldn't see it again though. Got talked into going again with a bunch of friends, spent most of the second half of the movie dealing with motion sickness due to the shaking camera work they used to give it that realistic feeling. Not that the motion sickness was fun, but it was funny that it didn't happen the first time but did the second time. Maybe my body was telling me that it really didn't want to watch the movie again.

In regards to Titanic, yes it was a well made movie. Was it an epic movie? No, it was more of a love story set in the backdrop of the sinking of the Titanic. Watched it once, enjoyed it for what it was. I understood that some people would probably watchTitanic more than once. Just like I did for Inception, which I thought was a really great movie. It was the patrons that watched Titanic more than 5 times which I question, because by the point that you've watched a movie 5 times, I think that is the point where you've drained every nuance out of it, comedies and animated moviesbeing exceptions as those you watch just to enjoy yourself and laugh. I knew people that watched Titanic 10 times or more, at that point I'm thinking "are you watching just to see if the ship won't sink this time?"

Ehh, whatever, to each his own as the saying goes.

libra113

[72]Apr 22, 2011
    Yeah, I watched "Inception" twice but that was only because of it's nature and becasue I was drunk on rum and coke the first time (which doesn't help with keeping up with a movie like that ).

The ones who get me are the "Titanic" fans who seem to think the mainstory (the love story) was just as real as the back story (the sinking of the Titanic itself). People need to get a grip. I heard a lot of people had issues with motion sickness with "The Blair Witch". Despite all the bashing it took (from established Hollywood who was threatened by it's success) I think it's a great movie and I have watched it a few times over the years.

Sadly, it loses something watching it at home all nice and safe becasue the first time I saw it in theaters and no one in the theater said a word the whole time it was on and at the end were obiviously freaked out and this was at a day time showing.

BarryWeen3

[73]Apr 23, 2011

libra113 wrote:
    Yeah, I watched "Inception" twice but that was only because of it's nature and becasue I was drunk on rum and coke the first time (which doesn't help with keeping up with a movie like that ). The ones who get me are the "Titanic" fans who seem to think the mainstory (the love story) was just as real as the back story (the sinking of the Titanic itself). People need to get a grip. I heard a lot of people had issues with motion sickness with "The Blair Witch". Despite all the bashing it took (from established Hollywood who was threatened by it's success) I think it's a great movie and I have watched it a few times over the years. Sadly, it loses something watching it at home all nice and safe becasue the first time I saw it in theaters and no one in the theater said a word the whole time it was on and at the end were obiviously freaked out and this was at a day time showing.

Inception to me was so layered, that I got different things out of it every time I saw it and that movie led to some great debates between me and my friends over what was happening, what did the ending mean, did he get home, etc. Another good movie that came out around the same time was Despicable Me "IT'S SO FLUFFY!!".

I don't mind the docu way they shot Blair Witch, but the bouncing motion of the camera for some reason made me sick the second time. Didn't bother me as much with Cloverfield which was shot simlarly. And they sort ofmade Battle: Los Angeles that way, which I liked, good movie, didn't expect to be, but actually turned out good.

Anyway, after watching Frontierland, looks like there might be other reasons for saving theTitanic besides Balthazar's hatred of the Titanic movie and the popularity that gave to theC.D. song, which are very valid reasons in their own right.

Edited on 04/23/2011 12:49am

libra113

[74]Apr 23, 2011
    Yeah, there were reports that a cetain number of people had the same reaction to the bouncing camera effect. I guess it's like how some people can't get the full effect of 3d (for some weird reason some people just can't see it properly, some are due to color blindness but SOME it's just some gentic quirk I guess).

I liked "Blair Witch" for the same reason that mainstream Hollywood was threatened by it and tried to bad mouth so much: it proved that you don't need overpaid, brand name actors, a giant budget and flashy effects to scare people and have a sucessful movie. Hollywood hates that message becasue it can't function like that but movie fans and independent filmmakers (espcailly the independant filmmakers) ten to love the idea becasue it CAN lead to a lot of good stuff that Hollywood wouldn't touch and give the indie film world hope of some kind of success.

Of course the downside is that it also lead to a lot of mainstream and not so mainstream knockoffs but that's the way Hollywood DOES function. If something is sucessful knock it off as quickly and as often as possible.

Right this second I'm watching an indie film by the director of "Blair Witch" called "The Objective" that is really very good and woth checking out.

danharr

[75]Apr 23, 2011
    • level: 45

libra113 wrote:
    Seems to be the case. Great episode. Shades of "Final Destination" and loved the bits of Greek mythology (I'm big on Greek Mythology). Anyone who complains about this one is just looking for stuff to complain about. Loved the whole bit with the song and Sam and Dean worrying about when or if they were gonna get killed. You would think they would be used to it by now.

Whoopsi daisy here comes a complainer lol! Not really the episode was decent fun to watch always nice to meet a new monster and see what's up with the war in heaven. I have to question Cuba and no cold war or Soviet Union due to the titanic not sinking hmm and even though we had one episode in between for me it was too soon to go back to other universe land.

libra113

[76]Apr 23, 2011
    danharr wrote:

libra113 wrote:
    Seems to be the case. Great episode. Shades of "Final Destination" and loved the bits of Greek mythology (I'm big on Greek Mythology). Anyone who complains about this one is just looking for stuff to complain about. Loved the whole bit with the song and Sam and Dean worrying about when or if they were gonna get killed. You would think they would be used to it by now.

Whoopsi daisy here comes a complainer lol! Not really the episode was decent fun to watch always nice to meet a new monster and see what's up with the war in heaven. I have to question Cuba and no cold war or Soviet Union due to the titanic not sinking hmm and even though we had one episode in between for me it was too soon to go back to other universe land.

Well, it's all a chain reaction kind of thing (or butterfly effect, Ashton or no Ashton ).

Change one thing and it changes other things, which change other things. Perhaps a decendant of one of the Titanic surviors played a role in keeping Castro out of power and thus keep Cuba non-Communist or maybe one of our black ops assassination attempts against him worked or who knows...

I LOVE other universes (big "Sliders" fan, at least until SyFy got ahold of it) so I welcome any chance to explore what might have been.

basenji529

[77]Apr 25, 2011
    • level: 15

In other news, Al Gore killed Osama bin Laden with his bare hands.

CaptainHarkness

[78]Apr 25, 2011
    • level: 23

I love alternate universe type episodes. I wonder if Bobby and Ellen had been married for quite some time and their daughter Jo wasn't the Jo that we all know and love? I love thinking about these episodes.

Edited on 04/25/2011 9:40pm

libra113

[79]Apr 25, 2011
    basenji529 wrote:

In other news, Al Gore killed Osama bin Laden with his bare hands.

That's from "Family Guy" right?

libra113

[80]Apr 25, 2011
    CaptainHarkness wrote:

I love alternate universe type episodes. I wonder if Bobby and Ellen had been married for quite some time and their daughter Jo was the Jo that we all know and love? I love thinking about these episodes.

I kinda assumed it was the second marriage for each of them and Jo was Bobby's step daughter.