Supernatural Forums

Tuesday 9:00 PM on The CWIn Season

Official Discussion Thread; Party On, Garth (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]Mar 27, 2012
    • level: 101
    Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 3/30/12 episode "Party On, Garth" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

libra113

[2]Mar 27, 2012
    • level: 27

A monster you can only see when you're drunk and isinterestingbecauseit poses someinterestingchallenges. Just how drunk do you have to be? How much does that effect your reaction times, fighting skill, marksmanship, aim with a knife, etc... Should be fun. On another point do we have to be drunk to see the monster on our TVs as well? Would that be a good excuse to invite some people over and get really drunk before the show?

WickedNix

[3]Mar 29, 2012
    • level: 4

Good idea Libra, but it wouldn't work out well for me. Surprised

I can't hold my liquor. One drink and it's sleepville for me...LOL. Show should be interesting to say the least. I can imagine that Dean will have some nifty snark comments. Twenty-four hours to go! Smile

libra113

[4]Mar 30, 2012

WickedNix wrote:

Good idea Libra, but it wouldn't work out well for me. Surprised

I can't hold my liquor. One drink and it's sleepville for me...LOL. Show should be interesting to say the least. I can imagine that Dean will have some nifty snark comments. Twenty-four hours to go! Smile

It's a whole new kind of TV it'sbeer gogglesvision. The nextevolutionof 3D. That would be cool stuff you can only see in a TV show or movie if you're drunk.

libra113

[5]Mar 30, 2012
    The episode just ended fifty minutes ago and I loved it. I don't know who this guy playing Garth is (never heard of him before) but I like the character more now than I did last time around (although they need to stop knocking him out and having him wake up after everything is over to ask "what did I miss"). He's exactly what I've been talking about for years now about how they need to show us more hunters who aren't the standard plaid wearing classic rockers. It's getting to be a bad stereotype at this point and it's nice to see someone break the mold once in awhile. More of Garth.

It was also kind of nice to, once again, visit the idea of creatures and spirits from other places. If done sparingly it ads a bit of spice to the show but allows it to keep it's all American feel at the same time.

I also have to say I'm not sure about this ghost Bobby idea. When it first got floated around it sounded silly and predictable. Now that it's been confirmed (and apparently the next episode in several weeks from now) will opening reveal it as being so. I just hope there's a point to it more than just doing it for the fun of doing it. In other words I hope they either find a loophole to get him back (of course Cas would have to come back to do that since they burned his body and only an angel can full on resurrect people like that), and in his own body (in other words don't use this as an excuse to recast him by putting Bobby's spirit in another body or something. Either that or let him help them with vital intel and pass on for real. Either way there better be something really good in the offing to be doing this.

All and all a nice fun episode to lighten the mood before they lower the boom and you so know they're gonna being lowering some boob at some point (maybe at the end of the season as a cliffhanger).

Oh and on another note: They know that Meg is keeping an eye on Cas? Have they lost their minds? They're leaving a drooling, helpless angel alone with a demon who could be doing anything to him while he's helpless and totally at her 'mercies'. Wow! They are desperate for allies these days.

DeGeorgetown

[6]Mar 31, 2012
    • level: 9

I loved this episode it had the perfect amount of humor and suspense. They need to make Garth a real part of the team, I think he'd be perfect to balance out how depressing and miserable Sam and Dean have become. I actually loved seeing that Bobby is a ghost, it's been pretty obvious but it was nice to see it confirmed. Though his "I'm right here you idjit" comment made it seem like he doesn't fully realize he's a ghost. I hope he doesn't start going crazy or something.

I live about a half hour from Junction City... I don't remember them having such a conveniently placed Japanese restaurant.. or a brewery lol.

WickedNix

[7]Mar 31, 2012
    • level: 4

When Dean rushed back into the motel room and said, "There you are," {Bobby's ghost was standing there} I said "Yes, yes, yes!"

Then Dean picks up the flask...well who's the idjit now? EmbarassedI should have seen that one coming. I liked Garth, sometimes a bit of innocence is bliss in their line of work. Loved the "uncomfortable" hugs Garth gave the bro's when they parted company. Laughing

Sam to Dean, "Can you even get drunk anymore?" Laughing

Tsumiena

[8]Mar 31, 2012
    • level: 3

The feeling of this episode was good- I enjoy when the show actually expands their world by allowing other hunters in it. (Mackey from last week too!Would love him to show up again) Garth was tweaky and strange, but they tolerated him and worked together. Japanese restraunt guy was great. I will always love Dean with a sword. Bobby was not a surprise to anyone. IMO, they should have cut the Bobby scene about 20 seconds shorter. It had more pathos, him just standing there silently longing before he had to scream at Dean. Next week- more filler? Is anyone at all concerned about Leviathans anymore? At all, outside of wth curing cancer? This season 'arc' is so random and disjointed, I dont even know where to start. Please dont let this drag on into season 8....please!

Edited on 03/31/2012 3:38pm

LalaDrake

[9]Mar 31, 2012
    • level: 7

i was so happy to see Bobby again... and i hope they can bring him back in a physical form.... Cas or someone else... i've just watched next ep promo and i'm so excited that Dean and Sam will be able to see Bobby can't wait till next episode

it was sooo funny japanese stuff and the japanese, Dean is always funny making faces... was really hilarious with the sword

loved the episode, first Cas, now boby... i love to see another character but if not ... Bobby and Cas are enough for me

lachlan_j_g

[10]Mar 31, 2012
    • level: 11

good episode - Garth is hilarious! "You've been Garthed" - great line. I agree Libra, he should be a recurring character as he is the polar opposite to Dean and Sam. I hope they don't kill him off anytime soon. as for Bobby's return, we all knew it was going to happen sooner or later, and as a ghost he can probably help them more than he ever could as a human. 5 episodes left in the season, it should start heating up now!

libra113

[11]Mar 31, 2012

DeGeorgetown wrote:

I loved this episode it had the perfect amount of humor and suspense. They need to make Garth a real part of the team, I think he'd be perfect to balance out how depressing and miserable Sam and Dean have become. I actually loved seeing that Bobby is a ghost, it's been pretty obvious but it was nice to see it confirmed. Though his "I'm right here you idjit" comment made it seem like he doesn't fully realize he's a ghost. I hope he doesn't start going crazy or something.

I live about a half hour from Junction City... I don't remember them having such a conveniently placed Japanese restaurant.. or a brewery lol.

I think it's more a matter of he's been trying to contact them since he died and he thought he had finally sucseeded only to find out that Dean didn't even know he was there.

Yeah, I remember all the way in season one when they were in Richardson, Texas. I've been there the place they used is nothing like the real Richardson and given that Jensen is from there you think he could have given them some pointers.

libra113

[12]Mar 31, 2012

Tsumiena wrote:

The feeling of this episode was good- I enjoy when the show actually expands their world by allowing other hunters in it. (Mackey from last week too!Would love him to show up again) Garth was tweaky and strange, but they tolerated him and worked together. Japanese restraunt guy was great. I will always love Dean with a sword. Bobby was not a surprise to anyone. IMO, they should have cut the Bobby scene about 20 seconds shorter. It had more pathos, him just standing there silently longing before he had to scream at Dean. Next week- more filler? Is anyone at all concerned about Leviathans anymore? At all, outside of wth curing cancer? This season 'arc' is so random and disjointed, I dont even know where to start. Please dont let this drag on into season 8....please!

Well yeah I'm sure they're very concerned but when you don't have anything to work with and no where to go you just keep working until something happens. Also, I don't think the writers ever intended to wrap the Leviathans up in a single season. They're plans are twisted, complex and too long term to for a quick and easy fix in just one season.

Beecharm3r2

[13]Mar 31, 2012
    • level: 8
    I liked this episode. Well done. I like DJ Qualls' character. I liked him earlier in the year (but hated the rest of the Becky episode). I think this episode felt a little more like earlier seasons. It flowed better, decent plot. I liked the way they showed us Bobby gradually haunting the boys. I picked up on it then but I like that the not-so-subtle clues were for Dean. Something he could gradually use as clues to figure out what's going on. I thought it was funny when Sam and Dean are drunk, watching the video footage and the guy comes in... and how the Japanese chef was paid to do the ancient blessing on the sword. Those scenes amused me. I wasn't sure if I just didn't catch this or not but how come all the victims were drinking alcohol? I know they said that one could only SEE the creature when drunk but did they actually say that one had to be drinking to be a target? Or was it just a coincidence that everyone that died had been drinking too? The janitor didn't drink.... but the rest of them had been. I'm curious to see what's going to happen with Bobby. He looked sad then he yelled at Dean which is the first sign of anger we're seeing. Ghosts who get angry, start to lose themselves so it does have me wondering what's going to happen next.

lachlan_j_g

[14]Apr 1, 2012
    • level: 11

Beecharm3r2 wrote:
    I liked this episode. Well done. I like DJ Qualls' character. I liked him earlier in the year (but hated the rest of the Becky episode). I think this episode felt a little more like earlier seasons. It flowed better, decent plot. I liked the way they showed us Bobby gradually haunting the boys. I picked up on it then but I like that the not-so-subtle clues were for Dean. Something he could gradually use as clues to figure out what's going on. I thought it was funny when Sam and Dean are drunk, watching the video footage and the guy comes in... and how the Japanese chef was paid to do the ancient blessing on the sword. Those scenes amused me. I wasn't sure if I just didn't catch this or not but how come all the victims were drinking alcohol? I know they said that one could only SEE the creature when drunk but did they actually say that one had to be drinking to be a target? Or was it just a coincidence that everyone that died had been drinking too? The janitor didn't drink.... but the rest of them had been. I'm curious to see what's going to happen with Bobby. He looked sad then he yelled at Dean which is the first sign of anger we're seeing. Ghosts who get angry, start to lose themselves so it does have me wondering what's going to happen next.

no the victimsdidn't have to be drunk I don't think - and yeah ghosts who get angry do start to lose themselves, but this is Bobby we are talking about - he knows more about ghosts than probably anyone. similar to how Ash cracked the angels system up in heaven.

yutg25

[15]Apr 1, 2012
    • level: 5

Did I interpret that right the boys actually okayed Meg playing nurse maid to a crazy Castiel? WHY?

libra113

[16]Apr 1, 2012
    lachlan_j_g wrote:

Beecharm3r2 wrote:

no the victimsdidn't have to be drunk I don't think - and yeah ghosts who get angry do start to lose themselves, but this is Bobby we are talking about - he knows more about ghosts than probably anyone. similar to how Ash cracked the angels system up in heaven.

No the victims didn't have to be drinking, it's just when you're family business is micro brewery and your family has been decimated by tragedy like their's was I guess you tend to drink some. As for Bobby he was billed a demon expert more than a ghost expert and just because you know the consequences of something doesn't mean you can just avoid it. It's an emotional thing and he could become emotional and go bad but since they're dealing with in the very next episode I doubt that will happen.

libra113

[17]Apr 1, 2012

yutg25 wrote:

Did I interpret that right the boys actually okayed Meg playing nurse maid to a crazy Castiel? WHY?

Yes they did and I had the same reaction. I guess they would rather have someone keeping an eye on him and they don't have a lot of other options. It's not like they could drag him around with them and give him proper care and they certainly can't stop everything just to hang around there themselves. Guess it's the less bad option out of nothing but bad options.

gatoraderising

[18]Apr 1, 2012
    • level: 7
    libra113 wrote:

Tsumiena wrote:

Well yeah I'm sure they're very concerned but when you don't have anything to work with and no where to go you just keep working until something happens. Also, I don't think the writers ever intended to wrap the Leviathans up in a single season. They're plans are twisted, complex and too long term to for a quick and easy fix in just one season.

Well they could give the Leviathans only one season. I still don't like that they only give Lucifer one season.

SohiHien

[19]Apr 1, 2012
    • level: 8
    This episode was alright but why did they use a shojo? Of all the evil spirits and creatures out there they pick something that ISN'T EVIL! Shojo are nice friendly spirits that like to attend parties and they have long red hair. They don't look like the ring ghost!

Also I don't really like this "Bobby is a ghost" idea. It kinda seems like a cop out and doesn't anyone remember when Dean was dying at the start of season 2 and he was talking to Tessa and she said that if you chose to stay and not go to the afterlife you were trapped and couldn't move on and would become angry and evil and one of the things that hunters get rid of. So now the brothers have a "Scooby Doo" of sorts in the form of "Ghost Bobby!" it's kinda lame to me. Does this mean that we will have to loose Bobby all over again when he starts becoming a violent ghost? Or will he somehow be brought back to life?

I also don't like how they have just abandoned Cas to be babysat by Meg of all people!? I'm pretty sure that the levithans would figure out where he was pretty quick since didn't like tons of demons working for Crowley know he was there (he did wipe out a ton that were stationed there). It seems like they sort of want us to forget about that and pretend that nobody knows he is there.

I dunno I might be missing a few things, I only half watch the episodes these days (minus last weeks because Cas was back) I find the show is just not as interesting as seasons 1-5 were.

Finally, I want the Impala back! I'm tired of ugly car of the week/car that sorta looks like the impala but isn't. The car isn't any more conspicuous then their freakin' faces which have been posted all over the TV and in police stations moreso then the car ever has. Bring her back! It isn't Supernatural without her!

libra113

[20]Apr 1, 2012

gatoraderising wrote:
    libra113 wrote:

Tsumiena wrote:

Well they could give the Leviathans only one season. I still don't like that they only give Lucifer one season.
    I don't like that they did that either but that's in the past. The only thing they can do now is learn from that mistake and not do it again.

Any plan creatures like the Leviathan are likely to have would be something that can be undone or stopped that easily. At this point I would expect another season of them unless people complain and force them to compress it down with some lame quick fix and force them to try and come up with something else for next season instead (which would be the worst thing they could do).