TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

Official Discussion Thread: The Born-Again Identity (possible spoilers)

dh4645

[61]Mar 30, 2012
    • level: 15
    libra113 wrote:

dh4645 wrote:
    Meg looked big. I thought she had her wisdom teeth pulled or something because her face/cheeks were huge, but then there was a full body shot of her walking/waddling. What happened to hot meg? Great episode though
    It's an allergic reaction to having to be so helpful to Dean.

ha funny
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

libra113

[62]Mar 30, 2012
    • level: 27

dh4645 wrote:
    libra113 wrote:

dh4645 wrote:
    Meg looked big. I thought she had her wisdom teeth pulled or something because her face/cheeks were huge, but then there was a full body shot of her walking/waddling. What happened to hot meg? Great episode though
    It's an allergic reaction to having to be so helpful to Dean.

ha funny
    I kinda thought so.

Beecharm3r2

[63]Mar 31, 2012
    • level: 8
    Overall I liked this episode. I liked how they found Emmanuel/Castiel and that he's been healing people for months. It helps redeem his character slightly. I still think they need him to do much more (even after this episode) to redeem him because of the whole God thing and killing people & angels, and bringing forth the Leviathans. Meg - I know I'm in the minority but I'm so over her. The last episode she was in I found her annoying. I think it's enough already and if they kill anyone off it's her. This episode she was pretty useless. All she did was talk and it wasn't exactly useful information either. It's like a filler. They needed someone Dean could talk to for a scene or two and since Bobby's dead, Sam was locked up, and Castiel was oblivious...and everyone else is dead the only one Dean could talk to was Meg. And it seems like the writers and the characters keep forgetting that she's the reason Ellen & Jo are dead. I want Meg gone.

I liked all the scenes with Sam in the hospital, the girl who was haunted, Lucifer...Castiel and Dean. All pretty good.

Aside from my issue with the use of Meg, I really didn't expect Castiel to be married. As soon as they said he had a wife, I laughed. I really don't think I was supposed to but seriously he's been awol for what, 8 months and in that time, he meets a woman while he's an amnesiac? A friend and I were talking about this and we thought it was funny because no one in their right mind would just throw themselves at an Amnesiac. There would be time while they seek help at the hospital and get treatment for brain damage, then there'd be the whole get-to-know-you stage, then maybe they'd date but getting married? Too funny, especially with how clueless Castiel was about women.

It just reminded us of the whole Lisa thing. Just throw a woman at him, it doesn't matter about how quickly they got together and how fast they were thrown into a serious relationship. It was a disappointment. I had hoped the writers learned but clearly they didn't. I know it's just a make-belief world but come on, the writers could have thought that through a little more. Even just saying that Cas had a girlfriend (instead of a 'wife') would have been better and a lot more realistic.

lachlan_j_g

[64]Apr 1, 2012
    • level: 11

Beecharm3r2 wrote:
    I really didn't expect Castiel to be married. As soon as they said he had a wife, I laughed. I really don't think I was supposed to but seriously he's been awol for what, 8 months and in that time, he meets a woman while he's an amnesiac? A friend and I were talking about this and we thought it was funny because no one in their right mind would just throw themselves at an Amnesiac. There would be time while they seek help at the hospital and get treatment for brain damage, then there'd be the whole get-to-know-you stage, then maybe they'd date but getting married? Too funny, especially with how clueless Castiel was about women.

maybe the woman was lonely, and wanted a soulmate - as Castiel said 'she said that God handed me to her'. woman are crazy

libra113

[65]Apr 1, 2012

Beecharm3r2 wrote:
    Overall I liked this episode. I liked how they found Emmanuel/Castiel and that he's been healing people for months. It helps redeem his character slightly. I still think they need him to do much more (even after this episode) to redeem him because of the whole God thing and killing people & angels, and bringing forth the Leviathans. Meg - I know I'm in the minority but I'm so over her. The last episode she was in I found her annoying. I think it's enough already and if they kill anyone off it's her. This episode she was pretty useless. All she did was talk and it wasn't exactly useful information either. It's like a filler. They needed someone Dean could talk to for a scene or two and since Bobby's dead, Sam was locked up, and Castiel was oblivious...and everyone else is dead the only one Dean could talk to was Meg. And it seems like the writers and the characters keep forgetting that she's the reason Ellen & Jo are dead. I want Meg gone. I liked all the scenes with Sam in the hospital, the girl who was haunted, Lucifer...Castiel and Dean. All pretty good. Aside from my issue with the use of Meg, I really didn't expect Castiel to be married. As soon as they said he had a wife, I laughed. I really don't think I was supposed to but seriously he's been awol for what, 8 months and in that time, he meets a woman while he's an amnesiac? A friend and I were talking about this and we thought it was funny because no one in their right mind would just throw themselves at an Amnesiac. There would be time while they seek help at the hospital and get treatment for brain damage, then there'd be the whole get-to-know-you stage, then maybe they'd date but getting married? Too funny, especially with how clueless Castiel was about women. It just reminded us of the whole Lisa thing. Just throw a woman at him, it doesn't matter about how quickly they got together and how fast they were thrown into a serious relationship. It was a disappointment. I had hoped the writers learned but clearly they didn't. I know it's just a make-belief world but come on, the writers could have thought that through a little more. Even just saying that Cas had a girlfriend (instead of a 'wife') would have been better and a lot more realistic.
    Out on a limb here. You were an Ellen and Jo fan? I'm guessing that's why you hate Meg so much (she caused their deaths and wasn't punished). Personally, I was always much more a fan of her than them. I DO wish they had kept the original Meg but this one has grown on me.

As for Cas' alter ego and the wife. I haven't had time to watch the episode again but my impression the first time was that she's very religious andbelievedthat Cas showing up out of the blue and being a healer and all was a sign from God and that (I guess) she was supposed to be his helper and all that and it was natural to her to marry him as well. It's not really out of the realm. The issue was Lisa wasn't how fast she fell for Dean (it was a bit) but to me it was that she kept taking him back and putting her child at risk just to have him around. I've known several single mothers and not a one of them would do that even with a guy who doesn't fight monsters, hell most of them won't even introduce their child(ren) to a man unless it got serious. If it was going to go anywhere they didn't botherbecauseit wouldunderminedmuch neededstabilityin their lives. It was almost like she didn't care about Ben and only cared about what made her happy and that made her anunlikablecharacter in my eyes (that and being so needed to keep Dean around she would just go along with anything and everything). Sorry didn't mean to go on.

Beecharm3r2

[66]Apr 1, 2012
    Yeah I had so many reasons to hate Lisa but with Season 6, she and Dean hooked up pretty fast and that was just weird...plus since I didn't like her it was really awkward.

I was an Ellen fan, but not a Jo fan. That's not why I don't like Meg anymore. I think they basically turned her from a evil demon to a pest. Taunting the boys but not doing anything evil, she's just all talk. Then she's the reason Ellen and Jo are dead... you'd think that'd anger the boys but instead they just stood by while her and Cas smooched and now they're letting Meg hang around them and even watching over Castiel? I think she's annoying but I really hate how Sam and Dean don't seem to want her dead anymore. To me, it's just weird.

libra113

[67]Apr 2, 2012

Beecharm3r2 wrote:
    Yeah I had so many reasons to hate Lisa but with Season 6, she and Dean hooked up pretty fast and that was just weird...plus since I didn't like her it was really awkward. I was an Ellen fan, but not a Jo fan. That's not why I don't like Meg anymore. I think they basically turned her from a evil demon to a pest. Taunting the boys but not doing anything evil, she's just all talk. Then she's the reason Ellen and Jo are dead... you'd think that'd anger the boys but instead they just stood by while her and Cas smooched and now they're letting Meg hang around them and even watching over Castiel? I think she's annoying but I really hate how Sam and Dean don't seem to want her dead anymore. To me, it's just weird.
    Well, I'm sure Dean espeically still wants her dead but they're up against a powerful new enemy, places to turn are running thin and they have to take help wherever they can find it, even if it's from someone they hate and can't trust.

Cas needs someone around to keep an eye on him and they can't do it. Bobby is dead. They don't really have anyone else to do the job. Anyway, right now it's in her own bestinterestto play nice. Revenge can come later.

kanniballl

[68]Apr 2, 2012
    • level: 18

libra113 wrote:

... The issue was Lisa wasn't how fast she fell for Dean (it was a bit) but to me it was that she kept taking him back and putting her child at risk just to have him around. I've known several single mothers and not a one of them would do that even with a guy who doesn't fight monsters, hell most of them won't even introduce their child(ren) to a man unless it got serious.

Meanwhile, other single mothers will happily date and sometimes wed a jerk that beats/abuses them AND their kid.

But those women usually have other issues going on, Lisa didn't strike me as that kind of person. She seemed strong-willed, emotionally stable, and financially stable.

Letting a guy move into their lives, who probably has a million hitmen looking for him due to his time as a Hunter... that's a bit risky. Definitely not mother-of-the-year material in my book.

Edited on 04/02/2012 7:47am

libra113

[69]Apr 2, 2012

kanniballl wrote:

libra113 wrote:

... The issue was Lisa wasn't how fast she fell for Dean (it was a bit) but to me it was that she kept taking him back and putting her child at risk just to have him around. I've known several single mothers and not a one of them would do that even with a guy who doesn't fight monsters, hell most of them won't even introduce their child(ren) to a man unless it got serious.

Meanwhile, other single mothers will happily date and sometimes wed a jerk that beats/abuses them AND their kid.

But those women usually have other issues going on, Lisa didn't strike me as that kind of person. She seemed strong-willed, emotionally stable, and financially stable.

Letting a guy move into their lives, who probably has a million hitmen looking for him due to his time as a Hunter... that's a bit risky. Definitely not mother-of-the-year material in my book.

I'm about to put myself at risk and make a blanket statement (ready for the onslaught). The mothers who are like that seem, to me, to care more about themselves and their own happiness than the well being and welfare of their own kids.

I've seen the story on the news too many times. The woman moves some man into her home. She works, he doesn't. He ends up taking care of her kids and one day the kid ticks him off and ends up dead. Sad but it happens.

Seems that women like that fall into twocategories: (1) Feels like they have to have a man in their lives to be compleate and will take any man they can get or (2) Just doesn't care as long as they're getting what they want. Probably, didn't want a kid (or kids) in the first place and just goes and does whatever she wants like the kid (or kids) don't exsist.

They tried to play Lisa as strong and independant but, to me, she came off a lot more like number 2 than anything else. As long as she had a man she didn't care what happened to Ben.

The best thing they did with her was have get angry about Dean shoving Ben and that should have been the end of it right there. He goes back to her place, finds it empty with a note telling him to never contact or visit them again and end it there.

Oh well. The past is the past.

WickedNix

[70]Apr 3, 2012
    • level: 4

I never understood the Dean/Lisa relationship. She's a good actress but I just couldn't see the two of them together, nevermind her having a hero worshipping son. Dean & Lisa had to know from the beginning that it would end badly in the long run. I suppose it served the purpose of making Dean realize he would never have a "normal" life.

I felt the worst for Ben. In a situation like that I wouldn't have begun a relationship with a hunter. While a child is very young you have to put your own needs on a back burner and do what's best for you child. It's a primary responsiblity that can't be messed with.

*steps off soapbox* Smile

libra113

[71]Apr 3, 2012

WickedNix wrote:

I never understood the Dean/Lisa relationship. She's a good actress but I just couldn't see the two of them together, nevermind her having a hero worshipping son. Dean & Lisa had to know from the beginning that it would end badly in the long run. I suppose it served the purpose of making Dean realize he would never have a "normal" life.

I felt the worst for Ben. In a situation like that I wouldn't have begun a relationship with a hunter. While a child is very young you have to put your own needs on a back burner and do what's best for you child. It's a primary responsiblity that can't be messed with.

*steps off soapbox* Smile

More than anything I think the character of Lisa suffered from writers who had no idea what to do with her. As a one shot character, playing a passing role in a single episode she was okay at best (I still have to call BS on the odds that someone Dean had met casually in the past would just happen to be in the middle of monster situation just when he decides to look her up again) but if you take that then try and revisit the character you have to give them more to do than whatever the story requires.

She rarely (if ever) seemed to reach the point of actual character over being a plot device and that's a shame. I guess they needed something for Dean to do for that year he thought Sam was dead but the whole thing seemed so forced andinterestinglyenough when Sam was telling him to do (despitethe both knowing thatevery timethey try and have a normal life it fails and people die) there was never a single though given to her maybe not wanting him or turning him away.

Beecharm3r2

[72]Apr 26, 2012
    Just watched part of this episode again. I'd like to point out that Cas said he and his 'wife' met and I quote..."A few months ago" Which I find even more amusing that they met, fell in love, got married and she apparently was okay with his amnesiac state in 3 months...

Also I'd like to jump in on the Lisa/Ben story line. I agree, it's all about poor writing and the actress didn't have good chemistry with Jensen. It's a case of the show putting two pretty faces together and hoping we'd all love it despite the plot and everything non-sensical about it. Despite how much I love this show, it has it's flawed moments.

libra113

[73]Apr 27, 2012

Beecharm3r2 wrote:
    Just watched part of this episode again. I'd like to point out that Cas said he and his 'wife' met and I quote..."A few months ago" Which I find even more amusing that they met, fell in love, got married and she apparently was okay with his amnesiac state in 3 months... Also I'd like to jump in on the Lisa/Ben story line. I agree, it's all about poor writing and the actress didn't have good chemistry with Jensen. It's a case of the show putting two pretty faces together and hoping we'd all love it despite the plot and everything non-sensical about it. Despite how much I love this show, it has it's flawed moments.
    Well, I haven't seen it in a bit but as I recall she was a devout woman of God andbelievedthat Cas had been sent to her to take care of a help and yeah I have known people fall in love and marry that quickly. It doesn't always work out but since it appears God DID send him to her then I guess, barring outside influence, they would have grown old together (assuming Cas COULD grow old that is).

As for Dean and Lisa, it was a case of taking a barely workable one shot character and trying to make them into more. As a one shot character her story and the episode she was in was pretty lame (someone Dean had once had some fun with just happens to be in the middle of a hunt, just happens to have a kid around the age of the victim profile who happens to act like Dean). The whole thing was anexercise in coincidence run wild and didn't really work, then they tried to make her even more significant which made no sense.

To me they should have brought in someone new if they wanted Dean to live a normal life for a year. Either that or, imagine this, he actually takes time for himself and lives a life all on his own for a year. What a shock.