TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

Official Discussion Thread: The Girl With the Dungeons and...(possible spoilers)

libra113

[21]Apr 28, 2012
    • level: 27

WickedNix wrote:

Every point worthwhile has been posted about this eppy except for my favorite part.

A female, guest leadcharacter wasn't killed off by the end of the episode. Women usually don't fare that well in SN. Laughing

True, but then again hardly any guest stars fair that well, just depends on how the whim of the writers. Guess they got tired of killing a character off then finding out, too late, that the fans like them.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dpebbleson

[22]Apr 29, 2012
    • level: 24
    WickedNix wrote:

Every point worthwhile has been posted about this eppy except for my favorite part.

A female, guest leadcharacter wasn't killed off by the end of the episode. Women usually don't fare that well in SN. Laughing

Exactly I was waiting for that to happen, when I first saw her I thought "So she's gone by the end of the episode", and was positively surprised when she wasn't

dpebbleson

[23]Apr 29, 2012
    libra113 wrote:

WickedNix wrote:

True, but then again hardly any guest stars fair that well, just depends on how the whim of the writers. Guess they got tired of killing a character off then finding out, too late, that the fans like them.

Lmao, Libs, I very much like when you interpret the show, and then you shift from "inside the show interpretation" to "outside the show interpretation"

dpebbleson

[24]Apr 29, 2012
    mynameisjohnas wrote:

dpebbleson wrote:
    mynameisjohnas wrote:
    Mary was a ghost for 20 something years and was still able to keep enough of her sanity to save her sons when the time came. I cant see Bobby losing it within the span of a couple months.
    I've just finished watching this episode a couple of minutes ago, and this was exactly my thought! I think it's the inescapable emo-drama tendency of the CW shows to invent emotional crises out of thin air, so as to afford characters with moral dilemmas.. Anyways, I like the episode. We actually guessed it right that the Leviathan are dumbing people to turn them into perfect cattle, and of course they would want their cattle perfectly healthy There's still degree of mystery about the whole clay thing, I can't figure it out, but it reminds me of the story of how the first man was made of clay, so maybe they do some variation of a theme... I also think there'll be some really surprising twist at the season's end, because everything seems so clear, it must not be that clear and explainable. The Leviathan are still really strong shapeshifters, but not more than that, interestingly there are monsters capable of more.

DP! Long time no talk. Good to see you're still hanging around these parts.

Yeah, I don't know. It certainly could be that the writers are simply trying to ramp up the angst in order to try and satisfy a certain crowd, but then again it could simply be Sam and Dean's legit personality flaws. Actually, if anything, given Dean's reactions towards Sam in season 5 I would have expected this more from him than I did from Sam so who knows.

And I'd have to agree that I liked the episode too. Haven't liked too many from this season save for a few such as the intro, Born Again and Death's Door (it's kind of been for me what season 5 was to you I think) but I enjoyed Felicia Day and her character and the episode layout was a little off the beaten path from what I'm used to for SPN (E.G- different camera angels, using flash backs to reveal previously missed parts of the episodes, etc) which I appreciate. They clay thing was pretty interesting too, so we'll have to see what the last couple episodes bring.

I'm sorry the season hasn't been inspiring for you. This season has been better for me than both S5 and S6, but the show kinda looks tired. I read fans wanting twelve seasons or more, and I can only wonder how it would look like in the twelfth season..

While they could be personality flaws, I just think that sometimes they are 'drama for drama's sake' moments. For example it was always Sam who was weird, even though Dean spent time in Hell as well, they both died, both went to who knows what, but the show always had Sam go through weird transformations, the pinnacle being 'soulless Sam'.

libra113

[25]Apr 29, 2012

dpebbleson wrote:
    libra113 wrote:

WickedNix wrote:

Lmao, Libs, I very much like when you interpret the show, and then you shift from "inside the show interpretation" to "outside the show interpretation"
    Sometimes you have to consider both. I mean we all know they've killed characters off then regretted it because they found out, too late, that the fans liked them. We also know they've killed, or otherwise eighty-sixed characters, because fans didn't like them. It's very much a consideration.

libra113

[26]Apr 29, 2012

dpebbleson wrote:
    mynameisjohnas wrote:

dpebbleson wrote:
    mynameisjohnas wrote:
    Mary was a ghost for 20 something years and was still able to keep enough of her sanity to save her sons when the time came. I cant see Bobby losing it within the span of a couple months.
    I've just finished watching this episode a couple of minutes ago, and this was exactly my thought! I think it's the inescapable emo-drama tendency of the CW shows to invent emotional crises out of thin air, so as to afford characters with moral dilemmas.. Anyways, I like the episode. We actually guessed it right that the Leviathan are dumbing people to turn them into perfect cattle, and of course they would want their cattle perfectly healthy There's still degree of mystery about the whole clay thing, I can't figure it out, but it reminds me of the story of how the first man was made of clay, so maybe they do some variation of a theme... I also think there'll be some really surprising twist at the season's end, because everything seems so clear, it must not be that clear and explainable. The Leviathan are still really strong shapeshifters, but not more than that, interestingly there are monsters capable of more.

DP! Long time no talk. Good to see you're still hanging around these parts.

Yeah, I don't know. It certainly could be that the writers are simply trying to ramp up the angst in order to try and satisfy a certain crowd, but then again it could simply be Sam and Dean's legit personality flaws. Actually, if anything, given Dean's reactions towards Sam in season 5 I would have expected this more from him than I did from Sam so who knows.

And I'd have to agree that I liked the episode too. Haven't liked too many from this season save for a few such as the intro, Born Again and Death's Door (it's kind of been for me what season 5 was to you I think) but I enjoyed Felicia Day and her character and the episode layout was a little off the beaten path from what I'm used to for SPN (E.G- different camera angels, using flash backs to reveal previously missed parts of the episodes, etc) which I appreciate. They clay thing was pretty interesting too, so we'll have to see what the last couple episodes bring.

I'm sorry the season hasn't been inspiring for you. This season has been better for me than both S5 and S6, but the show kinda looks tired. I read fans wanting twelve seasons or more, and I can only wonder how it would look like in the twelfth season.. While they could be personality flaws, I just think that sometimes they are 'drama for drama's sake' moments. For example it was always Sam who was weird, even though Dean spent time in Hell as well, they both died, both went to who knows what, but the show always had Sam go through weird transformations, the pinnacle being 'soulless Sam'.
    Yes, but they both had very different experiences while in Hell. As much as Dean suffered and as long as he suffered he wasn't the personal plaything of two pissed off archangels in a cage and the methods and circumstances of their returns were different (even though they were both brought back by Cas) and thus the consequences were very different.

It's very hard to take two similar (but not identical) situations and compare them and expect the same results. Also people are different and have different reactions even under the same situation and the best situations.

Edited on 04/29/2012 8:41am

dpebbleson

[27]Apr 29, 2012
    libra113 wrote:

dpebbleson wrote:
    libra113 wrote:

WickedNix wrote:

Sometimes you have to consider both. I mean we all know they've killed characters off then regretted it because they found out, too late, that the fans liked them. We also know they've killed, or otherwise eighty-sixed characters, because fans didn't like them. It's very much a consideration.

Exactly my point. Sometimes it's impossible to "defend" or "attack" show just from inside it, as many things happen that are pure production, reaction to the reception with the fans, etc.

Which is why:

Libra wrote:
    Yes, but they both had very different experiences while in Hell. As much as Dean suffered and as long as he suffered he wasn't the personal plaything of two pissed off archangels in a cage and the methods and circumstances of their returns were different (even though they were both brought back by Cas) and thus the consequences were very different.

It's very hard to take two similar (but not identical) situations and compare them and expect the same results. Also people are different and have different reactions even under the same situation and the best situations.

I don't actually disagree with, but I'd like to point out, that the fact Dean had the different experience wasn't purely because of Dean being radically different. I think at several points they tried to make Dean darker, they even had foreshadowing of him as a possible demon; they had him wrecked after John's death, more than Sam did at the time. But I think they never had the guts to make him totally bad or negative or dark-side.

Such outside interferences can be evident in two, in my opinion weak points of post-S5 episodes: Ben and Lisa storyline which was presented to us, even though not very logical and arriving from Dean's character; the other being famous "Chuck forgotten" moment. Nobody seems to remember Chuck existed; he's never mentioned after S5 (or almost never); he's never called for help; Sam and Dean never wonder where he disappeared, neither does Castiel. Nobody seems to remember there ever was Chuck. I think that's because S5 was Kripke's ending, and that ending had Chuck write down his story and poof. But forgetting about it is another thing.

These are two cases, I think, when external mixes with internal.

Back to the episode: I wonder if Leviathans ever manifest some other power besides super-strength...? There are monsters who had more imaginative powers, and they also came from Purgatory. Hmm...

gatoraderising

[28]Apr 29, 2012
    • level: 7
    dpebbleson wrote:
    libra113 wrote:

dpebbleson wrote:
    libra113 wrote:

WickedNix wrote:

Exactly my point. Sometimes it's impossible to "defend" or "attack" show just from inside it, as many things happen that are pure production, reaction to the reception with the fans, etc.

Which is why:

Libra wrote:

I don't actually disagree with, but I'd like to point out, that the fact Dean had the different experience wasn't purely because of Dean being radically different. I think at several points they tried to make Dean darker, they even had foreshadowing of him as a possible demon; they had him wrecked after John's death, more than Sam did at the time. But I think they never had the guts to make him totally bad or negative or dark-side.

Such outside interferences can be evident in two, in my opinion weak points of post-S5 episodes: Ben and Lisa storyline which was presented to us, even though not very logical and arriving from Dean's character; the other being famous "Chuck forgotten" moment. Nobody seems to remember Chuck existed; he's never mentioned after S5 (or almost never); he's never called for help; Sam and Dean never wonder where he disappeared, neither does Castiel. Nobody seems to remember there ever was Chuck. I think that's because S5 was Kripke's ending, and that ending had Chuck write down his story and poof. But forgetting about it is another thing.

These are two cases, I think, when external mixes with internal.

Back to the episode: I wonder if Leviathans ever manifest some other power besides super-strength...? There are monsters who had more imaginative powers, and they also came from Purgatory. Hmm...

The Leviathans kinda remind me of the alpha shapeshifter.

dpebbleson

[29]Apr 29, 2012
    gatoraderising wrote:

Yeah, indeed.

But they seem to have no defense strategy against ghosts, for example. I'm not saying they're lame or something, I've just been expecting some additional powers or skills to emerge.

libra113

[30]Apr 29, 2012

dpebbleson wrote:
    libra113 wrote:

dpebbleson wrote:
    libra113 wrote:

WickedNix wrote:

Exactly my point. Sometimes it's impossible to "defend" or "attack" show just from inside it, as many things happen that are pure production, reaction to the reception with the fans, etc. Which is why:
    Libra wrote:
    Yes, but they both had very different experiences while in Hell. As much as Dean suffered and as long as he suffered he wasn't the personal plaything of two pissed off archangels in a cage and the methods and circumstances of their returns were different (even though they were both brought back by Cas) and thus the consequences were very different. It's very hard to take two similar (but not identical) situations and compare them and expect the same results. Also people are different and have different reactions even under the same situation and the best situations.
    I don't actually disagree with, but I'd like to point out, that the fact Dean had the different experience wasn't purely because of Dean being radically different. I think at several points they tried to make Dean darker, they even had foreshadowing of him as a possible demon; they had him wrecked after John's death, more than Sam did at the time. But I think they never had the guts to make him totally bad or negative or dark-side. Such outside interferences can be evident in two, in my opinion weak points of post-S5 episodes: Ben and Lisa storyline which was presented to us, even though not very logical and arriving from Dean's character; the other being famous "Chuck forgotten" moment. Nobody seems to remember Chuck existed; he's never mentioned after S5 (or almost never); he's never called for help; Sam and Dean never wonder where he disappeared, neither does Castiel. Nobody seems to remember there ever was Chuck. I think that's because S5 was Kripke's ending, and that ending had Chuck write down his story and poof. But forgetting about it is another thing. These are two cases, I think, when external mixes with internal. Back to the episode: I wonder if Leviathans ever manifest some other power besides super-strength...? There are monsters who had more imaginative powers, and they also came from Purgatory. Hmm...
    Well, I didn't mean to imply that Dean'sexperiencesweredifferentbecausehe'sdifferent. Mainly, they weredifferentbecausehe and Sam were in two verydifferentsituations and were there for totallydifferentreasons (and lets not forget that Dead died and went to Hell through normal means while Sam was there in the flesh, something that is far from normal). Sam hadMichealand Lucifer working his flesh and blood, mortal, body over for who knows how long while Dean had his spiritual body there being worked over byAlistair. Micheal/Lucifer were out for payback and punishment whileAlistairwas trying to break Dean so he could break the first the seal and start the end of the world.

Undoubtedly, they both suffered greatly but their actualexperienceswere much diffrent and I'm not the least bitsurprisedthat their reactions to them would be radically diffrent as well.

As for making Dean dark or out and out evil. We've had touches of that but short of out and out possession or mind control or whatever I don't see him going dark on his own.

gatoraderising

[31]Apr 29, 2012
    dpebbleson wrote:
    gatoraderising wrote:

Yeah, indeed.

But they seem to have no defense strategy against ghosts, for example. I'm not saying they're lame or something, I've just been expecting some additional powers or skills to emerge.

Well they really don't need a defense strategy they cant be killed.

lachlan_j_g

[32]Apr 29, 2012
    • level: 11

loved the episode - especially the whole 'walking on sunshine' dance routine in the elevator, that made me laugh. it's gearing up for a big finale! gonna see some old faces return, including one potential surprise as I thought this particularsupernatural character had been killed(apparently) - I won't say who but if you look on Wikipedia/IMDB you will find out

dpebbleson wrote:
    gatoraderising wrote:
    Yeah, indeed. But they seem to have no defense strategy against ghosts, for example. I'm not saying they're lame or something, I've just been expecting some additional powers or skills to emerge.

this is why I don't understand why Crowley doesn't take them out. I mean, sure the Leviathans are super strong and can shapeshift, but demons can teleport, use telekinesis/pyrokenesis etc - how hard would it be for a group of say 20 demons to rush the Leviathans, dump them in Borax, chop their heads off and keep the parts seperated?

gatoraderising

[33]Apr 29, 2012
    lachlan_j_g wrote:

loved the episode - especially the whole 'walking on sunshine' dance routine in the elevator, that made me laugh. it's gearing up for a big finale! gonna see some old faces return, including one potential surprise as I thought this particularsupernatural character had been killed(apparently) - I won't say who but if you look on Wikipedia/IMDB you will find out

dpebbleson wrote:
    gatoraderising wrote:
    Yeah, indeed. But they seem to have no defense strategy against ghosts, for example. I'm not saying they're lame or something, I've just been expecting some additional powers or skills to emerge.

this is why I don't understand why Crowley doesn't take them out. I mean, sure the Leviathans are super strong and can shapeshift, but demons can teleport, use telekinesis/pyrokenesis etc - how hard would it be for a group of say 20 demons to rush the Leviathans, dump them in Borax, chop their heads off and keep the parts seperated?

Who knows maybe the Leviathans know how to stop demon powers like Eve knew how to make Cas powerless.

libra113

[34]Apr 29, 2012
    I'm not sure if it's so much a matter of having no defense against ghosts so much (as another poster said) not needing one. All of Bobby's bluster aside what did he really do to Dick? He's still alive, he will be all healed up by the time we see him again. All he really did was slow him down and allow Charley to get away.

As with demons I suspect that a group of them attacking a single Leviathan MIGHT work but given how many there seem to be killing one wouldn't do much and if came down to an all out war I doubt the demons would win. Remember Crowley meeting with Dick in the limo? Crowley certainly didn't act like someone who would have a chance of winning in the long run.

On another note Dick kept trying to encourage Bobby to show himself. Maybe they have to be able to see their enemy to fight them effectively? Maybe they have to know who and what they're dealing with to effectively deal with it.

kepa55

[35]Apr 30, 2012
    • level: 8

Am I the only one who didn't like Felicia Day that much? It seems like she's just doing the same nerdy girl thing in every show she's in. Sure, it works in small doses (ala The Guild), but whole 42 minutes of it? Too much for me. Also, how many episodes is this now this season that relies purely on the guest star(s)?

libra113

[36]Apr 30, 2012

kepa55 wrote:

Am I the only one who didn't like Felicia Day that much? It seems like she's just doing the same nerdy girl thing in every show she's in. Sure, it works in small doses (ala The Guild), but whole 42 minutes of it? Too much for me. Also, how many episodes is this now this season that relies purely on the guest star(s)?

I've only ever seen her on "Eureka" but judging by that and this it works for her so I see no reason to change now. It's her thing.

WickedNix

[37]Apr 30, 2012
    • level: 4

I've always liked the simplest solution to a problem, so I say it's time for God (to finally make an appearance) team up with Lucifer and double team slam the L.'s out of existence.

After God is finished with that he could restore Castiel to his former magnificence Smile{a woman can dream}. At the very least I hope the writers have enough sense to keep Bobby around to help the boys. Sure, it will prolly end badly for him but there could be a lot of good eppys until he reaches that fork in the road.

Other baddies have been entertaining. I find the L.'s arc just plain annoying.

Edited on 04/30/2012 11:20am

libra113

[38]Apr 30, 2012

WickedNix wrote:

I've always liked the simplest solution to a problem, so I say it's time for God (to finally make an appearance) team up with Lucifer and double team slam the L.'s out of existence.

After God is finished with that he could restore Castiel to his former magnificence Smile{a woman can dream}. At the very least I hope the writers have enough sense to keep Bobby around to help the boys. Sure, it will prolly end badly for him but there could be a lot of good eppys until he reaches that fork in the road.

Well, this show don't do easy and clean fixes (not without a massive price) and we talked for years how much of a cop out it would be to have God swoop in and fix everything with a wave of his hand so I don't really see those things happening anytime soon unless they just want to go into the next season with a totally clean slate and go from there (but given how each new big bad has flowed organically from the previous I wouldn't see that happening either).

Cas appeared in the ad for next week (at least his voice) that's the good news. The bad news is that he's apologizing to Dean for something. Assuming it's not a misdirect using audio from his previous appearance then I would say there's a good chance he will be on his feet before the end of the season but it's not such good news for him saving Bobby some how.

Ideally, I would like to see Cas come in and stop the Leviathans (with Sam and Dean's major help since they're the heroes and should be the ones saving the world) but have that lead to something even worse to deal with for next season.

I'm pretty such Bobby will either return through some sort ofdivineresurrection(maybe not Cas but maybe someone else will for whatever reason) or he will turn and they will have to destroy him. Also pretty sure we will know which soon.

gatoraderising

[39]Apr 30, 2012
    WickedNix wrote:

Why would God have to team up with Lucifer to destroy the Leviathans?

libra113

[40]Apr 30, 2012

gatoraderising wrote:
    WickedNix wrote:

Why would God have to team up with Lucifer to destroy the Leviathans?
    I have no idea except that some people seem to think thatbecauseGod didn't kill them right out that he can't which is just silly. Can't and won't aren't the same the thing and just becasue he didn't before doesn't mean he can't or won't now.

In any case I doubt he will because Sam and Dean are the heroes of the story so they have to stop them.