Supernatural Forums

Tuesday 9:00 PM on The CWIn Season

Official Discussion Thread: We Need to Talk About Kevin (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]Oct 3, 2012
    • level: 101

Since staff is letting spambots overrun the Episode Discussion Stream, making it impossible for discussion there, for this week this will be the Official Discussion Thread for the 10/3/12 episode, "We Need to Talk About Kevin".

Location of future episode discussion will be considered as time goes on. Regardless, please don't create episode discussion threads per the forum guidelines.

Enjoy!
    Edited on 10/03/2012 7:43pm
    Edited 3 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

wolfwing

[2]Oct 3, 2012
    • level: 6

So who was it that dean brought back with him? Someone we already know about or someone unknown?

lachlan_j_g

[3]Oct 4, 2012
    • level: 11

wolfwing wrote:

So who was it that dean brought back with him? Someone we already know about or someone unknown?

I believe it was a Ghoul, don't remember seeing that particular one before - Dean's anti-monster stance has clearly softened a little, he did let the ghoul go after all

wolfwing

[4]Oct 4, 2012
    Well there was one line that said something like, "Stuck there for 50 years."

CrazyAsian1080

[5]Oct 4, 2012
    • level: 7

lachlan_j_g wrote:

wolfwing wrote:

I believe it was a Ghoul, don't remember seeing that particular one before - Dean's anti-monster stance has clearly softened a little, he did let the ghoul go after all

Pretty sure it was a vampire, you with the fangs and all.

wolfwing

[6]Oct 4, 2012
    If vampire, wonder if it's the one from the anime.

danharr

[7]Oct 4, 2012
    • level: 45

It's a new character and the significance is that he helped Dean get out of purgatory not who or what he is. Also of equal importance is Dean breaking his principles working with a monster and what in the world happened to Castiel. I like the way they handled things not drawing out Dean coming back and Sam walking away this time ala Dean two seasons ago. I hope Kevin utilizes his knowledge better we need some high level demon dispelling I don't expect the group to get captured again.

Edited on 10/04/2012 11:21am

Don_Shadio

[8]Oct 4, 2012
    • level: 3
    Didn't really enjoy the ep coz wasn't really what I had in mind, I expected watching more of what purgatory was all like and Dean's life there ... and then he would get back rather than showing small flashbacks of his purgatory life... and it just so happens that he aint meant to be there..
    any way... I guess these flashbacks of purgatory will last quite a while coz there's still the issue of Cas..

Other than that, nice to see that the brothers have a chance to kick all the demons to hell and close the lid once and for all, it would make a simple but a great ending to the series :-)

dpebbleson

[9]Oct 5, 2012
    • level: 23
    I quite liked this episode, it was interesting, suspenseful, and mysterious. It felt like a new beginning what with Kevin sharing the destiny of the brothers - his girlfriend being killed by a demon.

I wonder what Benny's role will be further on, it must be remembered that he said to Dean that nobody can be trusted, so I figure at one point he might sell them to Crowley or something. He seemed to have already been on Earth, as he remarked something about 50 years passing and the world had changed.

I expect Crowley will be hunting for them. He still doesn't know they can close the gates of Hell, so prolly some of the story will revolve around him finding out and trying to stop it.

It wasn't explicitly said that Castiel died, so who knows what happened to him. He might have turned into a monster himself.

PenguinSuzie

[10]Oct 5, 2012
    • level: 10
    I thought it was good, not what I was expecting but it's good. I'm really curious to see what happened to Castiel and why Dean eventually left without him. I wonder if Benny had anything to do with leaving Cas behind. I'm so curious what his relationship is with Dean, it seems like Dean trusts him and they appear to be friends but they haven't shown us everything and I don't think their friendship will end well.

I'm not sure how much I like Kevin yet, I don't dislike him but time will tell how interesting I find him. It was sad that his girlfriend died. I liked that her line about ditching him because he wasn't going to the right college was all lies as in her first appearance she seemed pretty nice.

kepa55

[11]Oct 5, 2012
    • level: 8

Okay start to the season (well, anything is better than Leviathans), but it lacked something. And I do hope they get rid of Kevin as soon as possible, he's probably the dullest character on television.

Tyrathius

[12]Oct 5, 2012
    • level: 4

Well, the "Sam quit" story was exactly as stupid as I feared it would be. I don't see why they couldn't just have had him hunting on his own, searching for a way to find Dean or rescue Kevin or even just killing monsters of the week while Dean was locked in Purgatory. All it was there for was to cause angst between the brothers and honestly I think that's something we've had enough of.

I'm also not too fond of Kevin. That scene with his girlfriend being killed was entirely overdone, and I don't like that he can outsmart Crowley when the Winchesters, who have years of fighting demons, could not. And being King of Hell shouldn't Crowley be strong enough to resist Holy Water? Wouldn't the earthquake he used to shatter the Devil's Trap have spilled Kevin's water bucket?

They also wrote off Castiel again, which I don't like, but I'll wait until we learn more about what happened to pass judgment on that. It could still potentially be a good story even if I don't like where it's going.

What I did like about this episode was Dean. The scenes in Purgatory were great. I'm intrigued by his new vampire friend and I can't help but feel he was entirely justified yelling at Sam when he got back. Wish he'd be a bit more open about what happened, particularly involving Cas and how he escaped, but I guess we just can't have anything in the first episode. That's probably my biggest complaint about this episode (well, second biggest after Sam quitting) there weren't any surprises. We pretty much knew everything that would happen from interviews and previews months before the episode aired.

Overall not the start I was hoping for for season 8, but I'm not going to let one mediocre episode condemn the entire season. I just hope they don't drag out the Sam plot like they did Kaylee Amy in season 7.

danharr

[13]Oct 6, 2012
    • level: 45

Tyrathius wrote:

Well, the "Sam quit" story was exactly as stupid as I feared it would be. I don't see why they couldn't just have had him hunting on his own, searching for a way to find Dean or rescue Kevin or even just killing monsters of the week while Dean was locked in Purgatory. All it was there for was to cause angst between the brothers and honestly I think that's something we've had enough of.

To each his own but I think not wanting to repeat exactly what happened when Dean went to hell was the reasoning and I appreciate them for changing things up a bit.

Tyrathius wrote:
    I'm also not too fond of Kevin. That scene with his girlfriend being killed was entirely overdone, and I don't like that he can outsmart Crowley when the Winchesters, who have years of fighting demons, could not. And being King of Hell shouldn't Crowley be strong enough to resist Holy Water? Wouldn't the earthquake he used to shatter the Devil's Trap have spilled Kevin's water bucket?

Assuming a small quake that broke the devils trap would spill a container of water is a bit much, and as the show has demonstrated in the past. Being the top guy doesn't make you indestructible so yeah holy water still hurts a demon even one that has been greatly promoted.

WickedNix

[14]Oct 6, 2012

I'm pretty sure the new character is a vampire. He flashed his fangs then retracted them.

I suppose we will see more of what Dean and company experienced in purgatoryvia more flashbacks. I'm not too hopeful of Castiel making any guest appearances, but a couple of scenes would be nice, since they have killed off every other character I liked. I was surprised that Sam gave up so easily searching for Dean. It was as if he didn't even want to try. There are other hunters that he could have hooked up with for help.

I've been wondering what Libra thought of this eppy.

lachlan_j_g

[15]Oct 6, 2012

WickedNix wrote:

I'm pretty sure the new character is a vampire. He flashed his fangs then retracted them.

I suppose we will see more of what Dean and company experienced in purgatoryvia more flashbacks. I'm not too hopeful of Castiel making any guest appearances, but a couple of scenes would be nice, since they have killed off every other character I liked. I was surprised that Sam gave up so easily searching for Dean. It was as if he didn't even want to try. There are other hunters that he could have hooked up with for help.

I've been wondering what Libra thought of this eppy.

yeah it is a vampire - don't know what made me think of ghoul. maybe Dean felt he owed the vampire race seeing as how one helped him kill Dick?

as for the scene of Crowley killing Kevin's girlfriend - I don't see an issue, shows how ruthless Crowley is and what he does to people who cross him. as for Castiel, I wonder how he will get back - I mean, if humans had a get out of jail free card, do angels have one too?

lachlan_j_g

[16]Oct 7, 2012

danharr wrote:

Tyrathius wrote:

Assuming a small quake that broke the devils trap would spill a container of water is a bit much, and as the show has demonstrated in the past. Being the top guy doesn't make you indestructible so yeah holy water still hurts a demon even one that has been greatly promoted.

Crowley is still a normal demon, the only difference is that he controls the others. with the deaths of Azazel, Alistair and Lillith, I don't think there'd be anyone strong enough to take him. as for Kevin, I don't think he is going anywhere - he is essential to the boys' plan

smegmag

[17]Oct 7, 2012

The Sam quit storyline for me was not as stupid as I expected, it was infinitely more stupid than I had expected. The newly minted "mutual promise" not to look for one another and to just go on an live their lives is beyond lame. It apparently applies not justto death, or being dragged off to hell to fulfill your part of an ill conceived bargain, or even leaping into the pit to redeem your quickstart of the Apocalypse, but to mere disappearing--like they haven't disappeared before. When Dean was abducted by 'aliens "even Soulless Sam made a half hearted effort to save him. When Dean got pulled into Kronos's time warp, Sam pulled out all the stops to get him back, but not this time. This time with no blood, no body Sam just assumes Dean's dead Why? Because Crowley says this time you're truley on your own? His mouth is a prophecy, right? As for them going with a different tack to his response to Dean's going to Hell in season 3---there are a lot of different more credible ways to go than just the choices of psychotically obsessed demoness dupeor walking -er correction riding off in Dean's car and not looking for him at ALL.

And what about Kevin? Sam's last assignment was to rescue Kevin, Crowley kidnaps Kevin and he's done? Er maybe he interpretedhis assignement as to rescue Kevin from Dick, then yeah sure Icould see how he might consider his work as done. Not really. And even if as some one has said he assumed since Kevin was valuable Crowley wouldn't harm him? Seriously,how would that follow? And if Kevin was valuable to Crowley, that certainlywould be the best reason possible to get him back (or even kill him)--somrthing I would consider but I wouldn't expect Sam to do at all costs, but no not this time. As for Kevin, I actually kind of like his character--its somewhat evolving from that frightfullstereotype theyportrayed initially.He's actually standing up and fending --somewhat awkwardly--but still fending for himself. I guess this was foreshadowed in the finale when even though he was in tremendous danger he still insistedthat he and Sam had to destroy the "creamer"designed to kill the skinny people (also btw, shortpeople, smart people and hemophiliacs).I'm just glad they're letting him evolve as a heroic figure without turning into a cartoon Jet Li. Actually at this point I like him more than Sam--but as always Sam is redeemable--maybe that dark figure lurking outside his little Texas lovenest (one of Crowley's demon minions perhaps) could give Amy, Abigail, AMELIA the Jessica treatment or even a simple Channing necktie--and bring him back to focus. Mean, yeah I know, I'm feeling mean.

lachlan_j_g

[18]Oct 7, 2012

given that we know pretty much nothing about Amelia, she might have some hidden secrets of her own. also, is anybody else glad the Impala is back?

Hildetorr

[19]Oct 8, 2012
    • level: 3

Damn only the first episode of season 8 has aired and I already think its better than the entirety of season 6 and especially season 7 was. This season has alot of promise Sera Gamble stepping down from her post was perhaps the best thing that has happened to this show (I dont mean this in a negative way but I havent felt this much hype over the show since season 5)

Jeremy Carver is definitely going to do this show alot of good I can see the potential from this first episode alone.

Edited on 10/08/2012 12:50am

gatoraderising

[20]Oct 8, 2012
    • level: 7
    lachlan_j_g wrote:

given that we know pretty much nothing about Amelia, she might have some hidden secrets of her own. also, is anybody else glad the Impala is back?

Yes i'm glad that the Impala is back.