Supernatural Forums

Tuesday 9:00 PM on The CWBetween Seasons

Official Discussion Thread: Weekend at Bobby's (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]Oct 11, 2010
    • level: 101
    Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 10/15/10 episode "Weekend at Bobby's" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

buffyangel4evr_

[2]Oct 11, 2010
    • level: 20

First! Whoo-hoo!.. I can't wait! Jensen directed this eppie. Crowley, Yipee! *happy dance*

KDHMHE

[3]Oct 11, 2010
    • level: 16
    Darn missed by 1. well this should be a fun episode. With Crowley and Rufus coming back and more Bobby. Till Friday.

VConn

[4]Oct 11, 2010
    • level: 17

Haven't seen the trailer yet but if Crowley is in it, It has to be good.

puppybunny1

[6]Oct 14, 2010
    • level: 13

This is the video of behind the scene with Jensen Ackles as a director.

http://justjared.buzznet.com/2010/10/14/jensen-ackles-directorial-debut/

LordSothe

[7]Oct 14, 2010
    • level: 5

Honestly, I'm a bit disappointed they're having Crowley try to weasel out of his deal with Bobby. The entire reason he took Bobby's soul to begin with was so that the Winchesters wouldn't turn on him as soon as Lucifer was dealt with; refusing to return it negates that and downgrades him to the "Haha, I fooled you!" trick we've seen with every demon ever. Does he really value Bobby's soul more than his own life, or does he actually think he can get away with double crossing the people who stopped Lucifer?

I suppose it was inevitable, since they'd naturally want to tie up one of the loose ends from season 5, and I'll wait until I've seen the episode to call it a bad decision. Still a bit uneasy about it, though.

puppybunny1

[8]Oct 15, 2010

I want more Bobby centric episodes. Jim Beaver/Bobby is an amazing actor. The only thing missing is Castiel. Supernatural is back on track. The first 2 episodes of the season were weak. This was AWESOME!

soccer23123

[9]Oct 15, 2010
    • level: 12

This was an awesome episode! Loved seeingthe demon'shometown, and what Dean says there! (:

KingofIPirates

[10]Oct 15, 2010
    • level: 32
    Fairly good episode overall, got to see a little bit of what Bobby does during the day and the storyline remained relatively entertaining throughout.

jake-sf

[11]Oct 15, 2010
    • level: 6

CROWLEY! OH GOD!

I mean, you just barely start watching and in the "Then" part, what do you see? CROWLEY!

Since last week, I thought about him. What the hell happened and all that, and here they take care of that. The simple fact that he was in this episode made it golden to me.

But to top it off, this was a unique Bobby centered episode. I don't think there is a single episode of Supernatural that ever centered itself so much around a character thats not Dean or Sam. And thats a great thing, love him, love his lines.

At first I was "slightly" disapointed by the "I won't give you back your soul" thing. I was very disapointed by Crowley, I know he's a demon, but come on!

The "burn the bones kill demons" is an interesting addition. Demons are similar to spirits, perhaps, but by their nature, the fact that they are older, and they have free "wills" (instead of being stuck around their remains or something), so its plausible that burning his ancient bones work, because its rarely a possibilty. Nicely done, and also a reminder that demons were once Humans.

Also, another very important factor: They did not kill Crowley. I was almost screaming in my head, DON'T KILL HIM! Luckily, he took the deal, and nobody backstabbed him. I'm very happy about that.

Also, this pretty much confirms to me that Crowley is in no way Death. This was just one of many theory thrown around, but its worth noting.

All in all, great episode. Last week wasn't perfect Supernatural. This week, it was.

mr_snakeabee

[12]Oct 15, 2010
    • level: 7

Was the audio for the episode out of sync for anyone else? Really annoying.

sltoye

[13]Oct 15, 2010
    • level: 1

I'm just watching it now and the audio seems to be way off. Did it do it for you the whole episode?

Nagowteena

[14]Oct 15, 2010
    The audio was in sync for me.

a pretty good episode.

Shortpenguin

[15]Oct 15, 2010
    • level: 18
    THat's weird. The audios been fine for me. Great episode so far!

sltoye

[16]Oct 15, 2010
    • level: 1

Seems to be in sync now. It was really off for the first 10 minutes for me.

AnimeMadness

[17]Oct 15, 2010
    • level: 22
    I LOVED this episode! I loved seeing Rufus and Bobby work together, and the lady sheriff too. I really felt bad for Bobby throughout the episode when he was being taken for granted, for Dean chewing him out, for his neighbor not liking him anymore, and for the fact that Bobby never got to eat his peach cobbler!! ;__;

But I'm glad Dean and Sam finally realized this in the end. They went to Scotland for him! Dean ignored his fear for Bobby. (While they're in Scotland they should look for Hogwarts...)

It was very interesting to see Crowley's past, his son, and the okami. I'm glad they're finally branching off to do other monsters from different countries. Supernatural is finally getting its mojo back. :3

mynameisjohnas

[18]Oct 16, 2010

Great episode; loved it. Personally I think this was one of the most ballsy episodes of SPN I've ever seen. Kudos to the writers for centering that much of the show around Bobby and for not following the traditional story arch most of the episodes go through. I was whining last week that I found the show to be, at times anyways, a little predictable but this episode was perfect. The script was strong which allowed for great interaction between the characters (loved when Bobby gave it to the brothers over the phone), I didn't know who was going to be in each scene or where it was going to be, the acting by Jim Beaver was top notch and what's more- they went to Scotland! I was just thinking to myself the other day that SPN never leaves the states and then boom- they're in Scotland. Wonderful.

Then there was Rufus. In the past, while I haven't minded his character, I never really felt one way or another about him. I mean, I was glad he was around because it made the SPN world more real because it expanded the hunting world, but beyond that I never really felt his character added much to the show. In this episode however, Rufus was awesome. Pretty much every scene he was in I was laughing.

Bobby: Did you stab it 7 times?

Rufus: ...I stabbed it 5 times.

Bobby: You have to stab it 7 times!

Rufus: ...pretty sure it's 5...

My only gripe was that the writers seem to have completely ditched the concern the main characters once had with killing possessed humans. The idea that Bobby would have torched a possessed body just to get to a demon, especially after he had the info he wanted, seems contrary to the Bobby in earlier seasons who was one of the first to bring up the issue of killing demons in human bodies as a moral dilemma.

jake-sf wrote:

Also, this pretty much confirms to me that Crowley is in no way Death. This was just one of many theory thrown around, but its worth noting.

As someone who was helping ship that idea around I'll admit it certainly looks that way and if he is it definitely seems strange that they wouldn't have revealed it in this episode. However, I would like to add that there wasn't actually anything in this episode that proves he isn't Death. Had the boys actually burned Crowley's bones and Crowley died, then yes, it would be confirmed that Crowley wasn't Death. But they didn't. All that happened was Bobby summoned the ghost of a man that a "demon" that told him (Bobby) was Crowley's son and Crowley acted like he cared. Now if Crowley was indeed Death, and had gone through all if this deception, I find it hard to believe that he would have let it slip simply because Bobby summoned the ghost of the man he is possibly impersonating.

Also keep in mind the demon Bobby was torturing called Crowley the king of the under world. Bobby, and the rest of us, assumed this meant Crowley is ruling in Lucifer's absence, but I would argue this could have also meant that he is simply Death.

That's not to mention Crowley's little tirade about demons near the end of the show when he was summoned by Bobby for the second time. If he isn't Death, I would at least surmise that he isn't a demon. After all, when summoned, Crowley seemed quite shaken (as if he had been fighting something) and I think because of whatever it was that put him in that state, he let slip more than he meant to. I say this simply because the way he talked/talks about demons is somewhat akin to the way angels talk about humans. It's like he looks down on them; like he's better than them. It's possible that could just be his pride, but just the way he voices his thoughts about them makes me think otherwise. (That or there is now a civil war going on in Hell, as well as in Heaven, and Crowley is, like Castiel, angry that more of his kind aren't seeing things his way).

Either way, like I said, given the events in this episode, I'll concede that the Crowley doesn't seem to be Death. However, there is still nothing concrete yet that proves beyond the shadow of a doubt that he isn't and if he's not, I still say he isn't what we think he is.

Oh, and for whoever was asking, the audio was out of sync on the channel I was watching it on a few different times during the show as well.

Edited on 10/15/2010 11:47pm
    Edited 2 total times.

CJJohanson

[19]Oct 16, 2010

I already believe that this episode will go down as one of the better episodes of the season. Very funny, and expanded on Bobby a lot more, which was amazing, I'm glad there wasn't much Winchester to detract from Bobby's story.

"We've gone international." That line made me laugh so hard, I don't know why. The neighbor wanting herself a little Bobby was funny, especially the part with the woodchipper. "Dinner this weekend?"

It's nice to see its other hunters he does the FBI thing with, unless all the calls were for the Winchesters. Rufus, I'm glad his character isn't evil, which would have been an easy road to go down. I hope we see more of him, he would be a great addition to the cast. I can see Crowley coming back, which, I hope he does. He'd be a great adversary for the boys.

PutSthCoolHere

[20]Oct 16, 2010
    • level: 7
    It was great. Every character in this show has a huge background and easily capable of doing spin-off's. I love Crowley and the father son reunion moment was ballistic.