Supernatural Forums

Tuesday 9:00 PM on The CWBetween Seasons

Official Discusson Thread: The French Mistake (possible spoilers)

  • Avatar of Gislef

    Gislef

    [1]Feb 21, 2011
    • member since: 04/22/05
    • level: 100
    • rank: Master of the Universe
    • posts: 23,872
    Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 2/25/11 episode "The French Mistake" to this thread.

    Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of zebrastar

    zebrastar

    [2]Feb 21, 2011
    • member since: 10/16/07
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 1

    Is anyone else afraid that this episode might be really bad? These kinds of "special episodes" have been hit or miss.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of CaptainHarkness

    CaptainHarkness

    [3]Feb 21, 2011
    • member since: 06/25/08
    • level: 23
    • rank: Close Talker
    • posts: 1,946

    zebrastar wrote:


    Is anyone else afraid that this episode might be really bad? These kinds of "special episodes" have been hit or miss.


    When i first heard of the ideaI wasn't to fond of it, but as the months went on I actually started to like this premise. I think they'll do a fantastic job. Supernatural is good at doing these out of the box episodes.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of gatoraderising

    gatoraderising

    [4]Feb 23, 2011
    • member since: 02/23/11
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 431

    I'm looking forwardto this ep. It should be funny. If any show can pull it off its this show. I wonder if this is the ep when Ellen and Chuck's actors return. I hope not lol... I would like it if each of them got their on ep or shared one.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of dman_dustin

    dman_dustin

    [5]Feb 23, 2011
    • member since: 03/26/07
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 2,287

    This episode looks really hilarious, so I'm probably going to enjoy it.


    I've only seen one other show do something exactly like this (with the whole, characters playing their actors/actresses thing), and that's "Growing Pains" assuming I didn't misremember anything (since its been a long time). Let's see the youngest was called "Ben" I think, and Ben was getting in trouble with his parents and said "If this was a TV show, I wouldn't be in so much trouble" naturally of course the father said "Well this isn't a TV show, this is real life, so get used to it" (or something to that effec) and then later he somehow gets "sent" into what mirrors the "French Mistake" where "Growing Pains" is a TV show and he's just an actor. He sees his "mom" kissing some dude and gets upset (even though his mom was just the actress and was kissing her boyfriend/husband). Blah, Blah (he misses his mom and dad, older brother (which strangely is the only one who believes him, as it is his older brother, rather than the actor), and sister). As it turns out it was pretty much a realistic dream, though the episode ends with his older brother stuck in a TV, and wanting to get out. It was primarily played out for humor though. Though I honestly don't remember how that episode was received by the viewers.


    While the French Mistake, is playing it for humor, it at least has a "supernatural" explanation instead of it's just a dream, or you were "somehow" sucked into a TV. So anyway it should be fun, seeing the characters (Sam and Dean) react to their actors "real life." I'm pretty sure I'll like it at least.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of taxcat11

    taxcat11

    [6]Feb 23, 2011
    • member since: 11/14/08
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 216

    Does anyone know where the title is from? This is the first one that has me completely stumped.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of TimSpot

    TimSpot

    [7]Feb 24, 2011
    • member since: 09/05/03
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 520


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMK6lzmSk2o



    TV Guide Magazine: What does the title mean?
    Gamble:It's a reference to a song at the end ofBlazing Saddles, that's a reference to breaking the Fourth Wall. We chose the title as a winking nod to that concept.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of KingofIPirates

    KingofIPirates

    [8]Feb 25, 2011
    • member since: 08/11/06
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 45,832
    Not nearly as funny as it could've been but still pretty amusing nonetheless, though it took quite a while to get going.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of taxcat11

    taxcat11

    [9]Feb 25, 2011
    • member since: 11/14/08
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 216
    Poor Misha, I felt sick when he "died". Of course I enjoyed watching Kripke getting shot repeatedly. Over all I enjoyed this episode. But I wished Castiel explained what was going on. (Loved the glimpse of his wings, I glad they haven't changed.) I am glad he seems to have gotten the upper hand. I liked the new Raphael, I hope we get to see more of her.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of presario111

    presario111

    [10]Feb 25, 2011
    • member since: 12/25/06
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 138

    if any other show had attempted this it woudve been a trainwreck but supernatural did a great job. my only beef waz how abrubtly it ended. as for raphs new meat suit. idk it was kinda creepy but then again hes the type who prob doesnt care about his vessels gender. also am i the only one who wants to see that new show of kripkes lol(i forgot the name

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of jake-sf

    jake-sf

    [11]Feb 25, 2011
    • member since: 05/03/06
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 153

    Sometimes I wonder why I consider myself a fan of Supernatural. This episode certainly isn't telling me why. I posted a 5.5 review. Yet another episode that had no hope even when just on the drawing board.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of libra113

    libra113

    [12]Feb 25, 2011
    • member since: 10/04/05
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 24,385
    TimSpot wrote:


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMK6lzmSk2o



    TV Guide Magazine: What does the title mean?
    Gamble:It's a reference to a song at the end ofBlazing Saddles, that's a reference to breaking the Fourth Wall. We chose the title as a winking nod to that concept.

    Yeah becasue the part in "Blazing Saddles" where they actually break the fourth wall is the part where they come upon a bunch of singers/dancers doing that song. Love that movie.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of libra113

    libra113

    [13]Feb 25, 2011
    • member since: 10/04/05
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 24,385
    Really liked this episode, it was fun watching everyone make fun of themselves and have a good time doing it.

    The only thing I felt it was lacking was perhaps cutting to the actors in the "Supernatural" world. Now that would have been a funny little element as well.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mynameisjohnas

    mynameisjohnas

    [14]Feb 25, 2011
    • member since: 05/02/08
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 121

    (spoiler ahead)


    Not quite as good as I had expected but in all fairness I have a bad habit of getting my hopes too high and then being let down (did the same thing with Inception) so that's perhaps more my fault than the writers. Over all I think (at least right now, although I'll have to watch it once or twice more) it was a pretty decent episode. Not the greatest thing I've ever seen (which I honestly though it might have the potential for) but it for sure took a large pair of mellons and a heavy pair of marbles to try something like this out.


    The Good:


    -Getting the angel story line back in was a deep breath of fresh air, espeically given the last 3 episodes.


    -Actually really liked the opening too. It was fast and heavy (kind of reminded me of the opening to 99 Problems) and I wish they'd do that kind of thing more often andkeep that kind ofpace throughout an entire episode every once in a while.


    -The humor was at least on par with what I'd expect from Ben Edlund. There weren't any four on the four laugh out loud moments but I was definately pretty close to it many many times throughout the episode. Dean poking Sam with fakeRuby's knife and complaining about it not being real; Sam sitting under Jared's picture of himself on horseback; Misha over acting, Sam not knowing what to do with himself on camera (I honestly could't tell if he was half starting to dance or not), Jensen's extra deep voice; the brothers jumping through the real window onto the cold hard real floor; the director's assuming the brothers were on acid; the second director guy dodging the bullets in such a calm manner; all of it was great.


    -Getting to see the brothers double teamthe crap out of an angel for once was just beautiful.


    The Bad:


    -I have to admit that I'm still a little confused as to the nature of universe Balthezar sent the brothers to. At first I assumed it was supposed to be "our world" (as in the real world) but from a story line perspective I'm wondering if they're going to play it off as just another "alternate universe". I ask because when Virgil killed Misha I was really a little shocked. I assumed that a couple scenes later someone would say that Misha had been hospitalized and that when the brothers eventually returned to their reality Cas would have a scar across his thoat as a casualty of battle because he's becoming more human again. Yet when they actually did kill his fictional "real" self off I was really surprised because that should have meant that Cas in the SPN universe (at least his vessel) would be gone.


    -On that subject I definately agree with the other user who said they found Misha getting his throat cut pretty disturbing. That just felt...a little too real. I know Misha and the director were probably going for humor by having Misha cry like a little girl (and when he was abducted in the car it was comical) but given that such things (with very similar reactions) happen every day I have to admit I did not enjoy watching or hearing that at all (although I guess kudos are owed to Misha for the fine acting job on that one if nothing else).


    -I also agree with who ever said they thought the ending was a little abrupt. Was hoping for more a bit more of an explanation or reaction from the brothers instead of just having everything packed into a couple minutes so the next show could start on time.


    -Really wish they hadn't gotten rid of Demore Barnes and really wish they hadn't turned Raphael into a 1 dimensional character this season. Despite the utterly short amount of time he had on screen in season 5 the amount of depth and character he brought to his role was incredible.


    -Not sure if this was a goof or a hint to something else but how on earth would Virgil be able to talk to Raphael with Misha's blood (which was only cupped in his hand none the less) if there was no magic or God in the universe they were in?


    Random Thoughts:


    -Given the flashback in the "then" section at the beggining of the show where Meg was conversing with another character through a cup of human blood, were the writers trying to hint Raphael was involved with Meg in season 1 or are they just saying theat human blood is a way for supernatural beings to communicate with each other when no other means are available (or maybe just a method demons use more often given Virgil's "this is what I've been reduced to" comment).


    -Did anyone else notice Balthezar cough a little bit at the very beggining when he's drawing the markings on the window? I know a few people mentioned they thought Cas was becoming a little more human again back in Caged Heat when he kissed Meg (which again some people speculated might have had something to do with him havinga lack of souls if the whole "Matrix/Peagan theory" is correct) and I'm wondering if that might be a subtle hint the same thing might be happening to Balthezar.


    -Wondering if Cas's refusal to kill his brothers unless absolutley necessary is going to be a plus or a minus for his character's well being in the long run (sort of in the way that Frodo not killing Golum, despite it seeming like a good idea at the time, saved everyone in the end). I ask because (even though I could be wrong) it seemed like Cas was implying he could have killed Raphael at the end of the ep after aquiring the amoury weapons and yet for some reason decided to let him go.

    Edited on 02/25/2011 11:39pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of dpebbleson

    dpebbleson

    [15]Feb 26, 2011
    • member since: 11/06/09
    • level: 23
    • rank: Close Talker
    • posts: 5,644
    I liked this episode. It had good humour, especially with killing Kripke And Jared and Jensen not talking, which is not true, but is true for some shows I heard of, where the relations between actors are v. bad.

    The episode was very very meta! I liked how they noticed they have those angsty scenes at the end of each episodes - so they're aware of it!!

    And Libs, this is the episode I mentioned about Ruby. It seems in a different world without demons, Sam and Ruby are meant to be together. That adds credibility to RachelleMcAddams' theory about Ruby and Sam being in (albeit very twisted) love.

    I agree with MyNameIsJohnas about Raphael. All he seems to get is last three minutes when someone chases him away. For me he's very ineffective villain, just like Lucifer in the last season. I also agree about the communicating: if there's no magic, how did Virgil use that thing to communicate with Raphael. That's an obvious plot hole.

    I'm okay with Misha Collins dying, it was interesting to watch! Morbid humour!

    And yeah, once again: it's not PADALESKI, not even PADALEKKI, it's PADALETSKI, so whatever Jared/Sam is sure of, he's badly informed. I quote:

    GUIDE TO POLISH PRONUNCIATION wrote:

    c Completely unlike English. The "c" in Polish has two sounds. Most commonly, it has the "ts" sound in "tse tse fly." The English spelling of the Russian "tsar" is spelled "car" in Polish. When followed by the letter "i" the "c" has much the same sound as the English "ch" sound (as in "Ciao"), but softer


    I'm referring to the Polish pronunciation not the one affected by Americanitis. Americans don't have to know Polish pronunciation, but Jared should I suppose.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of dman_dustin

    dman_dustin

    [16]Feb 26, 2011
    • member since: 03/26/07
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 2,287

    dpebbleson wrote:
    And yeah, once again: it's not PADALESKI, not even PADALEKKI, it's PADALETSKI, so whatever Jared/Sam is sure of, he's badly informed. I quote:
    GUIDE TO POLISH PRONUNCIATION wrote:
    c Completely unlike English. The "c" in Polish has two sounds. Most commonly, it has the "ts" sound in "tse tse fly." The English spelling of the Russian "tsar" is spelled "car" in Polish. When followed by the letter "i" the "c" has much the same sound as the English "ch" sound (as in "Ciao"), but softer
    I'm referring to the Polish pronunciation not the one affected by Americanitis. Americans don't have to know Polish pronunciation, but Jared should I suppose.


    Except do you have any right to question the pronunciation?


    It's his name, he's lived with the name all his life, don't you think he knows how its pronounced even more than you (even ignoring its origins, and what the Polish pronounce it as)?

    Honestly I think most of this can easily come from the fact that foreign languages have their own rules on pronunciation (as well as their pronunciation mindset). My French Teacher, who was born and raised in France, said that French (or at least an older generation), could not pronounce "Heather" instead they would say "Hezzer" or something to that effect. And no matter how much they seem to be corrected they still cannot seem to properly say it correctly (although, sure maybe after a while they might be able to pronounce it correctly).


    And look at the Japanese language for a moment, sometimes their pronunciations don't even match the "romanized" names. For example apparently something like "Dent" would be pronounced as "Dento" when in fact the name is actually just "Dent" So they seem to be adding a apparently non existent "phonetic" syllable to the word.


    So I think the same can be applied here in that even if it's pronounced "Padaletski" doesn't mean that's the absolute correct way (all languages should pronounce it as). That's how someone who is Polish, that's how they pronounce it because they were what born in Poland? Grew up with Polish phonetic? But for someone who was born in Texas, and was most likely raised with American phonetics as well as hearing his "parents" say their last name it's actually "Padalekki."


    Disagree with me but one thing I know is it's pretty much impossible for a person to not know how to pronounced their name. Take a high school classmate of mine. Her last name was Galeai. Trust me, unless you know its Hawaiian/Samoan then chances are you going to pronounce it correctly. I distinctively remember her correcting one of her friends on it's pronunciation.


    So yeah, I'm going with Jared on this, since its name over what it should "technically" be pronounced as.


    Besides why is there even an argument about this.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of d_mandal_0

    d_mandal_0

    [17]Feb 26, 2011
    • member since: 06/23/08
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 41

    dman_dustin wrote:


    Besides why is there even an argument about this.



    There wasn't one. You just made it one.


    In the words of Misha, rotflmao.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Kitanishi

    Kitanishi

    [18]Feb 26, 2011
    • member since: 01/20/08
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 766
    Wow this was....i don't even know.

    You know, when you watch some old campy tv show(Hercules:The Legendary Journeys, for example) and an ancient god takes out a cellphone...you laugh....at the same time realizing that shark has jumped really high.

    This episode was VERY mixed bag of things. Like Uwe Boll and Woody Allen created a movie by each filming separate segments and someone else connecting them all.

    The good:
    - Kripke's death scene.
    - "You are Polish now?"
    - That was actual marriage photo from REAL LIFE marriage of Jared and Genevieve(the one back in 2010)? Right? And all "photos" used in the episode are from real life. Because that would make this both so much more funny and so much more ridiculous.

    The Bad:
    - Entire setting - yeah since we have a writers block lets copyy-pasta real life actor setting from real life and yet again hammer fan heads about how Winchester's life sucks so hard and how there was a better one.
    - This was basically season1(or was it two) episode with Genie, recaped on drugs. it did not explain anything, it did not progress anything and while sometimes it was funny, most of times it was a very "what" inducing.
    - Lack of creativity. It was basically 1 on 1 our world, without any creativity, self parodying(baring Kripke's death and "season 6"comments) or ...creativity. They basically copy-pasta'd real life and extended it into a hour of tv.
    - Too stretched out- THis was bassically ONE gag, extended into entire episode, would have liked to have some actual creative takes and some...diversity.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of dpebbleson

    dpebbleson

    [19]Feb 26, 2011
    • member since: 11/06/09
    • level: 23
    • rank: Close Talker
    • posts: 5,644

    dman_dustin wrote:


    dpebbleson wrote:
    And yeah, once again: it's not PADALESKI, not even PADALEKKI, it's PADALETSKI, so whatever Jared/Sam is sure of, he's badly informed. I quote:
    GUIDE TO POLISH PRONUNCIATION wrote:
    c Completely unlike English. The "c" in Polish has two sounds. Most commonly, it has the "ts" sound in "tse tse fly." The English spelling of the Russian "tsar" is spelled "car" in Polish. When followed by the letter "i" the "c" has much the same sound as the English "ch" sound (as in "Ciao"), but softer
    I'm referring to the Polish pronunciation not the one affected by Americanitis. Americans don't have to know Polish pronunciation, but Jared should I suppose.


    Except do you have any right to question the pronunciation?


    It's his name, he's lived with the name all his life, don't you think he knows how its pronounced even more than you (even ignoring its origins, and what the Polish pronounce it as)?

    Honestly I think most of this can easily come from the fact that foreign languages have their own rules on pronunciation (as well as their pronunciation mindset). My French Teacher, who was born and raised in France, said that French (or at least an older generation), could not pronounce "Heather" instead they would say "Hezzer" or something to that effect. And no matter how much they seem to be corrected they still cannot seem to properly say it correctly (although, sure maybe after a while they might be able to pronounce it correctly).


    And look at the Japanese language for a moment, sometimes their pronunciations don't even match the "romanized" names. For example apparently something like "Dent" would be pronounced as "Dento" when in fact the name is actually just "Dent" So they seem to be adding a apparently non existent "phonetic" syllable to the word.


    So I think the same can be applied here in that even if it's pronounced "Padaletski" doesn't mean that's the absolute correct way (all languages should pronounce it as). That's how someone who is Polish, that's how they pronounce it because they were what born in Poland? Grew up with Polish phonetic? But for someone who was born in Texas, and was most likely raised with American phonetics as well as hearing his "parents" say their last name it's actually "Padalekki."


    Disagree with me but one thing I know is it's pretty much impossible for a person to not know how to pronounced their name. Take a high school classmate of mine. Her last name was Galeai. Trust me, unless you know its Hawaiian/Samoan then chances are you going to pronounce it correctly. I distinctively remember her correcting one of her friends on it's pronunciation.


    So yeah, I'm going with Jared on this, since its name over what it should "technically" be pronounced as.


    Besides why is there even an argument about this.


    Listen, your arguments are rather amateurish. And don't be offended, but you're attacking something I didn't even say. I didn't say he shouldn't say Padaleki because that's how he says it in American, and that's okay.


    I'm a philologist by profession and I know quite a lot about how this stuff works. I've translated stuff professionally, and one thing I know about names is that when you translate them to another language, you try to keep all the sounds if possible. There are complete dictionaries available that are dedicated solely to transcriptions of foreign names when translating. So yeah I have right to question it.


    Since English speakers can pronounce 'ts' I don't see why it wasn't kept in American pronunciation. So your argument about French not being able to pronounce isn't valid. Americans CAN pronounce even the Polish variant. And have you thought about the fact that French maybe have their own variant of Heather that they can pronounce? So that is a plain mistake, nothing more and nothing less. It's nothing to be condemned, though, if he says Padaleki, that's his right. But the true pronunciation of a Polish surname Padalecki is Padaletski, and there's no argument about it.


    There's a whole study of language history and pronunciation taught in the universities and I'm just expressing the SCIENTIFIC attitude. Why is it impossible for a person not to know how their name is pronounced? Because of your experience of it? That's plain nonsense. He obviously doesn't know how it's pronounced in Polish, and there's no argument about that. There is no combination 'ck' in Polish that is read 'k'. In fact he has a typical Slavonic surname suffix: cki - others are - ski, čki, ški, ov, ev, ić, ič. It's not a sound combination to form another sound, as is the case with 'ch' in chair. It's cki transliterated as 'tski'. This is pure linguistics. That means he doesn't know it. He probably doesn't know it because he hadn't heard it in childhood, or whatever, it's perfectly okay.


    And again, I'm not arguing against 'americanization' of a surname. In America it is pronounced Padalekki, that's accepted and that's it. But that's not, I repeat, the correct thing to do, and linguists from America should be made aware of it, so they could write the mistake into dictionaries in order to avoid the bad translation.


    Why are we arguing this? Well, I don't know, I just noticed he pronounces it that way, and I was curious why he didn't look into it. I don't think it's a sin, just a curious thing. If I had that kind of surname, I'd look into it how it's pronounced that's all. And yeah, I mentioned it because he said in the episode he was sure how it's pronounced. Well, he's assured in the wrong thing, and so are the producers. Dean calls him Polish, and even tries to pronounce it more correctly Padaleski. He makes an effort to pronounce it the way Poles do, but Padalecki assures him it's Padalekki, 'believe me, I'm sure'. It's really not anything big, and for me it's interesting because a week ago I posted at this forum about it, and it appeared in the episode, so it was strange coincidence.


    But not a big mistake, anyways, nothing to fuss about.


    Though I noticed you always attack my posts for unknown reasons.


    But please would you not correct me about stuff that I'm very well informed about. However, if you find proof that it is indeed pronounced Padaleki, I will accept it and apologize. Until then, no.

    Edited on 02/26/2011 8:59am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of yutg25

    yutg25

    [20]Feb 26, 2011
    • member since: 01/18/11
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 205

    great episode...


    Good:


    1. Great start! In medias res beginning.


    2. Great humor Mischa telling them what happen and it turned out he wasn't Cas!


    3. Raph a woman now haha...


    4. An angel going terminator on them


    5. Cas flexing his muscle awesome!


    Why are they so pissed off at Cas? The boys were safe from Raph in earth 2 if they weren't sent to earth 2 Raph would have hunted them down they wouldn't last 10 seconds.


    Why are Dean's cards all maxed out. Where is his wife and kid?


    Who was that guy? When Virgil went terminator on them there was this guy who didn't look scared he just duck easy just before Sam jumped in. I thought could he be an angel?


    Bad


    1. Didn't like the ending. Why didn't Cas end Raph right there? He has the muscle. Raph was alone. There were four of them end the civil right there.


    2. Wish Ruby would be back.


    I would like to post trivia and allusions don't know how to do it properly:


    There is an allusion for:


    1. Terminator scene in the gun shop was similar to the scene in Terminator 1 or two when Arnold was collecting guns.


    2. God Father


    2. (Earth 2) DC reference for alternate realities

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.