Supernatural Forums

Tuesday 9:00 PM on The CWBetween Seasons

Official Discusson Thread: The French Mistake (possible spoilers)

libra113

[61]Mar 1, 2011
    • level: 27
    dpebbleson wrote:
    libra113 wrote:
    Well yeah but to say that they were implying a deep spritiual connection between Sam and Ruby by showing that the actors who played the characters married each other in real life (or in this case a close aproximation of real life).

It doesn't mean anything more than they were married in real life, the setting was a fictional one based on real life so they had her come in and play herself.

If he had married the chick he was with before he would have been married to the crossroads demon he killed and that wouldn't have meant anything more than he married that actress.

There's no deeper meaning her or whatever... sometimes a cigar is just a cigar and that's all it was.

Quoting Freud

I'm not implying a deep spiritual connection, I'm just interpreting what I have at hand. What I'm saying is that there's something there. An analogy.

And I can't fight your bringing up outside or real-world facts, which aren't really relevant to understand the show. Especially who's married to whom and alike. I agree it gives you extra laughs, but in the end, in a hundred years, in two hundred years if this show still has at least one viewer, that viewer will care about the episodes, and will interpret the episodes by their intrinsic value, not whether they were inspired by this or that.

I don't know whether he would have married a crossroads chick. That's a speculation, and since it's all aired, you may never know. I know I saw a woman in S4 and the same woman in S6. If it were a book, I'd make a parallel. It has a meaning in the overall plot of the show, it builds up on their relationship from S4, so why not? I hope I'm not overthinking it, but I think you're "underthinking" it, belittling its symbolism, so to say, to prove your point.
    Well, yeah but shows reuse actors all the time without it meaning anything. Hell, the guy played who Elkins in "Dead Man's Blood" showed up later as a random corener in another episode. There was nothing there than just hiring the same actor.

It's kinda like during season two I noticed a vintage red and white truck parked outside the roadhouse a lot and then outside the place where Sam was kidnapped by the demons.

I thought it MIGHT be something as of yet it was just they had a limited number of trucks and cars to put out for filming and they reused the same one on two locations by chance.

Not everything means something (espcially in tv with budget limitations and so forth), sometimes it's just a matter of saving money, convience, or whatever.

In this case they were wanting to reflect the real world (or something close to it) and it just so happened that JP was married to the chick who played Ruby so they played up on that for laughs. That's all it really was.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dpebbleson

[62]Mar 2, 2011
    • level: 23
    libra113 wrote:
    dpebbleson wrote:
    libra113 wrote:
    Well yeah but to say that they were implying a deep spritiual connection between Sam and Ruby by showing that the actors who played the characters married each other in real life (or in this case a close aproximation of real life).

It doesn't mean anything more than they were married in real life, the setting was a fictional one based on real life so they had her come in and play herself.

If he had married the chick he was with before he would have been married to the crossroads demon he killed and that wouldn't have meant anything more than he married that actress.

There's no deeper meaning her or whatever... sometimes a cigar is just a cigar and that's all it was.

Quoting Freud

I'm not implying a deep spiritual connection, I'm just interpreting what I have at hand. What I'm saying is that there's something there. An analogy.

And I can't fight your bringing up outside or real-world facts, which aren't really relevant to understand the show. Especially who's married to whom and alike. I agree it gives you extra laughs, but in the end, in a hundred years, in two hundred years if this show still has at least one viewer, that viewer will care about the episodes, and will interpret the episodes by their intrinsic value, not whether they were inspired by this or that.

I don't know whether he would have married a crossroads chick. That's a speculation, and since it's all aired, you may never know. I know I saw a woman in S4 and the same woman in S6. If it were a book, I'd make a parallel. It has a meaning in the overall plot of the show, it builds up on their relationship from S4, so why not? I hope I'm not overthinking it, but I think you're "underthinking" it, belittling its symbolism, so to say, to prove your point.
    Well, yeah but shows reuse actors all the time without it meaning anything. Hell, the guy played who Elkins in "Dead Man's Blood" showed up later as a random corener in another episode. There was nothing there than just hiring the same actor.

It's kinda like during season two I noticed a vintage red and white truck parked outside the roadhouse a lot and then outside the place where Sam was kidnapped by the demons.

I thought it MIGHT be something as of yet it was just they had a limited number of trucks and cars to put out for filming and they reused the same one on two locations by chance.

Not everything means something (espcially in tv with budget limitations and so forth), sometimes it's just a matter of saving money, convience, or whatever.

In this case they were wanting to reflect the real world (or something close to it) and it just so happened that JP was married to the chick who played Ruby so they played up on that for laughs. That's all it really was.

Yeah, they reuse actors, but they didn't say, hey, here's Elkins again! They were very clear that in another world Sam is married to Ruby.

But okay. As much as I like debating with you, I don't think this is going anywhere. I can't say I agree with you, but I respect your opinion, and we'll have just to agree to disagree

Cheers!

basenji529

[64]Mar 2, 2011
    • level: 15

Actually, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." seems to be a Beam Me Up Scotty. I've also heard it attributed to Jung in a refutation of Freud.

dpebbleson

[65]Mar 2, 2011
    basenji529 wrote:

Actually, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." seems to be a Beam Me Up Scotty. I've also heard it attributed to Jung in a refutation of Freud.

I've heard it was when someone asked Freud about him oversymbolizing just about anything, so he replied that. But then again, it could just as well be what you said, or someone totally unrelated These quotes circle around in strange ways

libra113

[66]Mar 2, 2011
    dpebbleson wrote:
    libra113 wrote:
    dpebbleson wrote:
    libra113 wrote:

Quoting Freud

Yeah, they reuse actors, but they didn't say, hey, here's Elkins again! They were very clear that in another world Sam is married to Ruby.

But okay. As much as I like debating with you, I don't think this is going anywhere. I can't say I agree with you, but I respect your opinion, and we'll have just to agree to disagree

Cheers!
    But that's just it. She's NOT Ruby anymore than JP is ACTUALLY Sam or visa vera. They're actors and the ONLY reason she was there was becasue they were married in real life.

Sure, in a hundred years (if humanity and the entertainment biz are still around) people won't know that and they MIGHT jump to the same conclusion you do (unless one or both of them become super famous mega stars), but they won't be any more correct.

They were simulating reality and that was the point a simulatated reality. I might agree with your point if he was actually married to someone else and they brought her in to play that someone else but he's the real one so it's just the reality of the situation.

But, as you said, not going anywhere so best to just drop it.

libra113

[67]Mar 2, 2011
    basenji529 wrote:

Yeah, that's how a heard it to. It's the anti-Frued point of view actually.

dpebbleson

[68]Mar 3, 2011
    libra113 wrote:
    dpebbleson wrote:
    libra113 wrote:
    dpebbleson wrote:
    libra113 wrote:

Quoting Freud

Cheers!
    But that's just it. She's NOT Ruby anymore than JP is ACTUALLY Sam or visa vera. They're actors and the ONLY reason she was there was becasue they were married in real life.

Sure, in a hundred years (if humanity and the entertainment biz are still around) people won't know that and they MIGHT jump to the same conclusion you do (unless one or both of them become super famous mega stars), but they won't be any more correct.

They were simulating reality and that was the point a simulatated reality. I might agree with your point if he was actually married to someone else and they brought her in to play that someone else but he's the real one so it's just the reality of the situation.

But, as you said, not going anywhere so best to just drop it.

I believe I'm correct for mine is the future as you pointed out

But yeah, best drop it.

libra113

[69]Mar 3, 2011
    Consider it dropped.

dpebbleson

[70]Mar 3, 2011
    libra113 wrote:
    Consider it dropped.

Peace!

I posted some questions, in Supernatural Fans United thread, would you like to discuss?

libra113

[71]Mar 3, 2011
    dpebbleson wrote:
    libra113 wrote:
    Consider it dropped.

Peace!

I posted some questions, in Supernatural Fans United thread, would you like to discuss?
    I'll take a look. Right now I'm having a issue with the onboard mouse of my new laptop. The pointer keeps jumping around the screen while I'm trying to type and messing up what I'm typing. But I will check it out for sure.

dpebbleson

[72]Mar 3, 2011
    libra113 wrote:
    dpebbleson wrote:
    libra113 wrote:
    Consider it dropped.

Peace!

I'll take a look. Right now I'm having a issue with the onboard mouse of my new laptop. The pointer keeps jumping around the screen while I'm trying to type and messing up what I'm typing. But I will check it out for sure.

Hehe, my touchpad does the same thing. I accidentally touch it while typing and it often closes the window, even deletes something. And there's no way of turning it off, I think!!

We are slaves to modern technology!

libra113

[73]Mar 3, 2011
    dpebbleson wrote:
    libra113 wrote:
    dpebbleson wrote:
    libra113 wrote:
    Consider it dropped.

Peace!

Hehe, my touchpad does the same thing. I accidentally touch it while typing and it often closes the window, even deletes something. And there's no way of turning it off, I think!!

See that's what the sites I went to said was the issue and I even unloaded and reloaded two diffrent drivers HP had up for it and neither of them solved the issue.

I dunno know if I'm doing it by mistake or not but when I'm typing the cursor jumps back and I end up typing a word in the middle of another word and having to fix it. Getting old fast.

dpebbleson

[74]Mar 3, 2011
    libra113 wrote:
    dpebbleson wrote:
    libra113 wrote:
    dpebbleson wrote:
    libra113 wrote:
    Consider it dropped.

Peace!

See that's what the sites I went to said was the issue and I even unloaded and reloaded two diffrent drivers HP had up for it and neither of them solved the issue.

I dunno know if I'm doing it by mistake or not but when I'm typing the cursor jumps back and I end up typing a word in the middle of another word and having to fix it. Getting old fast.

I have the similar problem, but I think my hands have evolved so they avoid touch-pad at all costs

mynameisjohnas

[75]Mar 3, 2011
    • level: 6

*re-editiing

Edited on 03/03/2011 2:37pm

dpebbleson

[76]Mar 3, 2011
    mynameisjohnas wrote:

Not to bring up something you two just put to rest but I thought I'd weigh in just for the sake of it since it is an interesting topic. You two argued for a bit so if I misinterpreted or misunderstood something one of you said feel free to correct me.

libra113 wrote:
    dpebbleson wrote:
    libra113 wrote:
    dpebbleson wrote:
    I liked this episode. It had good humour, especially with killing Kripke And Jared and Jensen not talking, which is not true, but is true for some shows I heard of, where the relations between actors are v. bad. The episode was very very meta! I liked how they noticed they have those angsty scenes at the end of each episodes - so they're aware of it!! And Libs, this is the episode I mentioned about Ruby. It seems in a different world without demons, Sam and Ruby are meant to be together. That adds credibility to RachelleMcAddams' theory about Ruby and Sam being in (albeit very twisted) love. I agree with MyNameIsJohnas about Raphael. All he seems to get is last three minutes when someone chases him away. For me he's very ineffective villain, just like Lucifer in the last season. I also agree about the communicating: if there's no magic, how did Virgil use that thing to communicate with Raphael. That's an obvious plot hole. I'm okay with Misha Collins dying, it was interesting to watch! Morbid humour! And yeah, once again: it's not PADALESKI, not even PADALEKKI, it's PADALETSKI, so whatever Jared/Sam is sure of, he's badly informed. I quote:
    GUIDE TO POLISH PRONUNCIATION wrote:
    c Completely unlike English. The "c" in Polish has two sounds. Most commonly, it has the "ts" sound in "tse tse fly." The English spelling of the Russian "tsar" is spelled "car" in Polish. When followed by the letter "i" the "c" has much the same sound as the English "ch" sound (as in "Ciao"), but softer
    I'm referring to the Polish pronunciation not the one affected by Americanitis. Americans don't have to know Polish pronunciation, but Jared should I suppose.
    To that I say this: If the actors weren't together in real life would they have been on this episode? Let's not forget there was a time when he was REALLY with the actress who played the Crossroads Demon he shot. IF they had stayed together she would have been in the episode. Does that mean anything for the characters in the fictional world? As for the supposed plothole, it had to work otherwise they would be trapped. There has to be a way to return otherwise making the trip would have been foolish, you don't go somewhere when you can't get back and if you're using someone as a decoy and want them back you don't send them on a one way trip.
    Well yeah if they stayed together, then it would shift from Ruby to her, and she could end up as his wife. My point was that in a normal world, unaffected by magic, demons, Apocalypse, machinations from above and under, Sam and Ruby are soul-mates. It's sort-of an analogy between the two worlds - in both they end up together, so there's definitely something there. Besides a joke, that is About the plothole: yeah, I agree there has to be way out, but they could have had entrance working. There wasn't point in communicating through goblet, Virgil could have agreed beforehand on when to open the gate himself so Raphael could bring him back. But it is a plothole since he obviously mentions there is no magic in that universe and his angelic powers are not working. What could have been a better way out is limited time there. Sam and Dean are transported with a time limit of one day, after that, they are drawn back by the primary world they came from. I pretty much liked the acting scene, both actors did an awful job I especially liked how Dean looked stiff and unable to move, with his head focused strangely on something that isn't camera
    Well, I think you're reading too much into it. The real world girl isn't Ruby she's an actress who played Ruby playing a version of herself on the same show. Like I said if he stayed with the other woman he was with before it would have been her and if he had hooked up with another actress it would have been her or if he hooked up with a non-actress then they would have brought in an actress to play a fictional version of his non-actress wife. There's no higher power at work just actor's tendency to get invovled with people they work closely with (especially if they work as closely as they did ). As for the plothole, again they had to have a way out. I doubt they could have put a time limit because I doubt Balthazar nor Cas had any idea how long things would last on their side and needed it open ended. As for just opening the portal on the "Supernatural" side it appears that no one anticipated a magic free world so they did't take that precuation. It's also possible that the scrying bowl thing is just so basic that it barely qualifies as magic and would work regardless of what reality the user is in. Also, let's not forget that Balthazar tossed them into a random reality (at least that how I remember it) and as such had no idea what was waiting on the other side and if it would be magic free or magic friendly or what. Short of Quinn Mallory and company showing up and giving Sam and Dean a ride back to Earth Supernatural that was about the only out.

I would suggest that the answer to which one of you is right depends on whether or not the universe Sam and Dean were sent to was actually "our world" (AKA- the real world) or simply an alternate universe. If it really was our world then I would say Libra seems have point when he notes that if Jared had married someone else other than Gen his wife would have been whoever he had married, rather than Gen. However, if it was simply an "alternate reality" then there is no reason DP can't be right about the writers wanting to note that there really was some kind of a connection between Sam and Ruby/whoever Ruby possessed in the 4th season (whatever it might have been-physical, mental, chemical, etc) which was so strong that it actually exists in different universes.

Laughably, in true SPN fashion, there is evidence to support both theories. One on hand the similarities between the real world and the universe Sam and Dean were in are self explanatory. The biggest thing for me is that the timing of when Sam and Dean were transported to the alternate universe we saw seemed to coincide directly with what was going on in their own universe (hence their flying through the window onto the stage mats just as they were being thrown threw the window by Balthezar). That's on top of the fact that the TV show seemed to be following the character developments directly given that when Sam and Dean were having to act like Jared and Jensen acting like them Misha/Cas explained why Balthezar decided to help him and the brothers out. On the other, as I stated earlier, if it was really was our world then when Virgil killed Misha it should have resulted in the death of Jimmy (sort of in a "Last Action Hero" logic way) which also seems to contradict your idea Libra that Sam would have been with whoever Jared married in real life and therefore that Bal and Cas had no idea where they were sending Sam and Dean.

I say this because, even though I'll have to watch the episode again, it seems like one hell of a dangerous move for Cas and Balthezar to just throw Sam and Dean into some "random reality" given that such a random place could have, in theory at least, been even more dangerous than their own reality. After all if it was the real world Cas and Balthezar would have been risking their own vessels on the off chance that Virgil killed one of the actors playing themselves. Also, and more simply, I highly doubt that our favorite angel would have been willing to send two of his closest allies/friends to some place that could have harmed them. Heck, Cas even seemed to think the idea was a smart one which adds credence to the idea that it simply was an alternate universe rather than "our universe".

On a different subject, I agree with you Libra that it would have great to see Jared and Jensen's reactions after they were transported into the SPN universe (provided they actually were). I was actually thinking about that while watching the episode last week wondering what happened to them or if it was just some thing the writers forgot or didn't have time to explain (whether or not when someone comes in their counterpart must go out).

Haha, here comes the diplomatic solution! I'm glad my side has a chance, and as I said, I respect Libra's side of the argument.

Maybe the solution is in the undecidedness (my browser informs me there's no such word, but what the heck). Is it or is it not?

But I'd say this: that wasn't Kripke. It was some actor Anyways, I'm always looking forward to your posts, they're so elaborate and very calm. Usually when I write a long post, it seems like I'm firing from all weapons, including the nuclear ones

You should seriously write tv shows, or at least be a consultant at the writers' team. You have a knack for making connections.

mynameisjohnas

[77]Mar 3, 2011

Damn! Haha. How did you reply so fast? I read something Libra posted earlier that I missed and figured I should rephrase what I wrote since it had to do with Libra's argument and my reply to it.

I'll repost that in a few.

mynameisjohnas

[78]Mar 3, 2011

Basically I just noticed that Libra stated he didn't think the universe Sam and Dean were transported to was "our world"/"the real world", but simply one very close to it and I figured I shouldn't misrepresent what he was trying to say.

That being noted, I still don't think it changes the nature of the argument about why Sam and Ruby/Ruby's host might have had a connection in the SPN universe and the universe the brothers were transported to given the arguments I originally stated. More to the point, I don't know if there was is a way to prove it was or wasn't our universe unless the writers decide to revisit the subject next episode or somewhere down the line (which I somehow doubt they will) which may have been what you were suggesting DP with your talk about the answer being in the undecidedness, haha.

Edited on 03/03/2011 2:58pm

mynameisjohnas

[79]Mar 3, 2011

I hate this board. DP just leave your original reply to my original post. I was going to just re-post it after I made my other post below yours but the board doesn't want to allow me to cut and past so whatever, lol.

dpebbleson

[80]Mar 3, 2011

mynameisjohnas wrote:

Basically I just noticed that Libra stated he didn't think the universe Sam and Dean were transported to was "our world"/"the real world", but simply one very close to it and I figured I shouldn't misrepresent what he was trying to say.

That being noted, I still don't think it changes the nature of the argument about why Sam and Ruby/Ruby's host might have had a connection in the SPN universe and the universe the brothers were transported to given the arguments I originally stated. More to the point, I don't know if there was is a way to prove it was or wasn't our universe unless the writers decide to revisit the subject next episode or somewhere down the line (which I somehow doubt they will).

I don't think it was really our world, since that goblet worked. I could agree with Libra if this was just a spoof episode. But on the other hand it was tied to the myth-arc. Also, I tend to believe that shows and episodes are made to last and overcome the current contexts, be it years of 2005 or 2011. Good art is always current, I guess

Edit: Don't worry, I'll leave the reply as it is Tv.com is a messy site, it often makes me problems, especially with editing.

Edited on 03/03/2011 2:57pm