TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Sam reset

taxcat11

[1]Nov 24, 2011
    • level: 5

Is it my imagination or do you think Sam has returned to season one Sam personality-wise?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

smegmag

[2]Nov 24, 2011
    • level: 5
    taxcat11 wrote:

Is it my imagination or do you think Sam has returned to season one Sam personality-wise?

Maybe, a little. However, I think S1 Sam was more wracked by guilt over Jessica's death and obsessed with the desire for vengeance against the YED. If anything--and if we can believe appearances Sam seems more like S1 Dean--a guy who accepts his identity as a hunter, accepts that things like Stanford, Jessica, a "normal" life are simply no longer for him.

libra113

[3]Nov 25, 2011
    • level: 27
    smegmag wrote:
    taxcat11 wrote:

Maybe, a little. However, I think S1 Sam was more wracked by guilt over Jessica's death and obsessed with the desire for vengeance against the YED. If anything--and if we can believe appearances Sam seems more like S1 Dean--a guy who accepts his identity as a hunter, accepts that things like Stanford, Jessica, a "normal" life are simply no longer for him.
    Yeah I would agree with that assement but I'm not sure it's a recent turn of events. As far back as season two he has said that a normal life is out of the question and has (as Dean in the past has done) said he didn't really want one (but we know they're both just saying that because they know they can't have it and it's better to just accept it and deal than to continue to try and make it happen and put others at risk).

If anything I would say that Sam has let go of his guilt and no longer feels like he has to save everyone and that he is to blame if someone dies around him. Not sure if that's a positive break through or something to worry about.

basenji529

[4]Dec 1, 2011
    • level: 15

Perhaps, but he's also gone through, um, losing his brother, being recruited by the legions of hell to resurrect their master, choosing an eternity in hell to lock said master back up? Take your pick for a reason he won't be like he was originally.

libra113

[5]Dec 1, 2011
    • level: 27
    basenji529 wrote:

Perhaps, but he's also gone through, um, losing his brother, being recruited by the legions of hell to resurrect their master, choosing an eternity in hell to lock said master back up? Take your pick for a reason he won't be like he was originally.

Well, you wouldn't want him to go through all that only go back to the way he was would you? It would be kinda of odd.

basenji529

[7]Dec 4, 2011
    • level: 15

True. In those days, he was a bit whiny. Hard to believe it's the same Sam we see in season 4.