Supernatural Forums

Tuesday 9:00 PM on The CWBetween Seasons

Season 7+ News Speculation etc. Thread (including Season 8 renewal!)

Tyrathius

[181]May 17, 2012
    • level: 4

I don't know about that. Seasons 6 and 7's story arcs both had their share of problems, but there's another issue that's been festering lately: they're running out of things to do.

By this point they've done episodes about on just about every major myth or urban legend. They've been having to scrape the bottom of the barrel for monster-of-the-week episodes, and the leviathans were pretty much just made from scratch (you could say Lovecraft's work inspired them, but they neither look nor act like the cosmic horrors he's famous for). People like for the monsters to be creatures they've heard of, but at the same time, there's only so many vampire episodes you can make before viewers get sick of them. Worse, the characters themselves are getting tired -they need to grow and change in order to remain interesting, but by this point Sam and Dean have been through so much there's not much that can be done to shake them anymore. Just look at Dean's arc (or lack thereof) this season.

Even if they can come up with a compelling plot for season 8 and beyond, I'm not sure they'll be able to keep people interested in the filler episodes that make up 60-70% of the season. I love this show, and I plan to keep watching it for as long as I enjoy it, but even the best series can only go on for so long before they start to get stale.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

CharmedOneP391

[182]May 17, 2012
    • level: 19

I see your point, but then again..we're getting 2 (new/old) showrunners/headwriters with Sera Gamble leaving. I'm sure Robert Singer and Jeremy Carver can come up with some very, very interesting plots to shape up.

Maybe it'll be like Smallville..with the best seasons being the final two. Season 9 was the best Smallville season (as a whole) I thought.

RichardCarlso

[183]May 18, 2012
    • level: 2
    CharmedOneP391 wrote:

I see your point, but then again..we're getting 2 (new/old) showrunners/headwriters with Sera Gamble leaving. I'm sure Robert Singer and Jeremy Carver can come up with some very, very interesting plots to shape up.

Maybe it'll be like Smallville..with the best seasons being the final two. Season 9 was the best Smallville season (as a whole) I thought.

CW president Mark Pedowitz -"I'm not looking at Season 8 as the final year in any way, shape or form."

smegmag

[184]May 18, 2012
    • level: 4
    RichardCarlso wrote:
    CharmedOneP391 wrote:

CW president Mark Pedowitz -"I'm not looking at Season 8 as the final year in any way, shape or form."

That's just a non-committal committment. You can't believe anything a guy in his position says and what did he say really? Vapor.

NathanRoth

[185]May 18, 2012
    • level: 16
    Maybe something like Dean and Sam next must fight Japanese demons like Tengu or Oni

WCSU1987

[186]May 18, 2012
    • level: 3

I could see it ending by eight. However, I can see it being stretched one more season after that. They have brought the story to a climax at season five. Now events are spiraling out of control. World is a mess. Something is going to go array. The storylines as they have for the past seven will end. I agree they will run out of filler ideas. However, the interest in seeing where the past seven seasons have built upon and how it ends is the draw; finishing the story.