Supernatural Forums

Wednesday 9:00 PM on The CWBetween Seasons

Should this be the last season?

tvtome_xena321

[21]Dec 23, 2011
    • level: 27
    If this is the last season, the writers would of been told way in advance, Smallville confirmed its final season before it even started airing, because I'd hate for them to be told at the last hurdle of episodes, e.g Angel, and rush to wrap things, although granted Angel did go out with a bang.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

basenji529

[22]Dec 27, 2011
    • level: 15

I think Lost said it best: "After this season, there's just two more, and we're out."

Funny story, the Final Fantasy series began as Squaresoft's farewell to, well, business in general. We saw how that worked; it's now their flagship franchise.

tvtome_xena321

[23]Dec 28, 2011
    • level: 27
    basenji529 wrote:

I think Lost said it best: "After this season, there's just two more, and we're out."

Funny story, the Final Fantasy series began as Squaresoft's farewell to, well, business in general. We saw how that worked; it's now their flagship franchise.

I admire Lost, it had the guts, to stick to an end-date, and allow the show to end when it planned. Supernatural should confirm for instance season 8 is the last one at the beginning of the season, like smallville and desperate housewives did.

micronihat

[24]Dec 28, 2011
    • level: 3
    crazylegs99 wrote:

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if the show went on forever. I would still watch it! But ideally I think the show should have one more season. Season 7 shouldn't be the last. This season is too low key for it to be the final chapter. Season 8 needs to be epic!

My ideal season 8 :

- Bring back Castiel. Either in the season 7 finale or season 8 premiere.

- Lucifer and Michael break free! A showdown between Lucifer, Michael & Crowley would be freakin' gold!!

- Any storyline involving Death. That guy is awesome.

- Wasn't Castiel searching for God a few seasons ago? Season 8 should be when God finally makes an appearance!

I agree.

yamifan

[25]Dec 30, 2011
    • level: 4

oh wow people are still watching this show?

Dropped it semi-ly in season 6. A few episodes in I thought: 'what the hell has happened to this series?" Then had to pick up a couple episodes here and there due to the arrival of Sebastian Roche (damn him anyway, as he's the perfect bad guy). The dialogue scripting has been horrible. But this is what you can expect when the reins are released by the creator or so it would seem for this series. Let down.

However this is The CW, they will most likely continue this series until nothing is left of the original. And everything is comeplete and utter gibberish. Mind you I have heard that the current season has recovered slightly, but it's far too late now.

tvaddict_14

[26]Jan 6, 2012
    • level: 10
    This should definitely not be the last season. This season isn't on the same level that the show is known for and I want them to go out on top. I agree with others that Season 8 should be the last because going any further the show would just become irrelevant and totally jump the shark.

Mike_Schmidt

[27]Jan 7, 2012
    • level: 7

On a more technical note... it is difficult for the writers to maintain the impetus of the program...once you get to the level of the Leviathans then its difficult (assuming they will be defeated) to present a scenario/challenge that can resonate; you can't keep upping the ante before people get a bit turned-off.

However there is still the issue of God being AWOL... and if the boys were to have some effective communication with him then a lot of plot points could be resolved quite nicely.

So, in summary, it would be nice to have a "final season" where the plots and character issues can be ironed out and in some way Dean and Sam get justice/relief from the prospect of being hunters/hunted forever...

Katiki

[28]Jan 7, 2012

I love the show, and I would love to see more of it. Its ratings are good by CW standards, so it will likely be renewed for at least one more season. I personally didn't like seasons 4 and 5 all that much, and am happier with the more human-scaled, less cosmic mytharcs we have now and in seasons 1-3. I am very amused and entertained by the Leviathans, and I really like the Butch and Sundance theme.

It's funny, I remember how much people used to complain about Kripke and his choices, and now that Sera is in charge everyone acts like Kripke was perfect. And btw, Kripke didn't have a 5-year plan, he only said that to the network to coax them into renewing the show for a couple more seasons when they were on the bubble back in season 3. (Jared let the cat out of the bag at comic con last year.) Then Kripke wrapped up the angel-demon war in 5 years because he didn't think he was going to get more, but he explicitly said was happy to keep the show going and the season 5 finale he wrote was really not the way he has always intended to end the series. But it did create this idea the show shouldn't have gone on past 5 seasons to respect Kripke's "artistic vision" (even though it turns out that wasn't the case) and it did write them into a corner to some extent. Some people will always say "you can't top the apocalypse." But I never wanted or expected them to. I'm quite happy with the post-apocalyptic state of things.

Edited on 01/07/2012 9:54am
    Edited 2 total times.

clockswork

[29]Feb 1, 2012
    • level: 1

Mike_Schmidt wrote:

On a more technical note... it is difficult for the writers to maintain the impetus of the program...once you get to the level of the Leviathans then its difficult (assuming they will be defeated) to present a scenario/challenge that can resonate; you can't keep upping the ante before people get a bit turned-off.

However there is still the issue of God being AWOL... and if the boys were to have some effective communication with him then a lot of plot points could be resolved quite nicely.

So, in summary, it would be nice to have a "final season" where the plots and character issues can be ironed out and in some way Dean and Sam get justice/relief from the prospect of being hunters/hunted forever...

I believe you are right. They have the Dragonball Z problem. You can't just keep getting bigger and bigger indefinately. After a while it just starts to get rediculous.

I would love for their to be an eights season that scales it back to a more settled and reasonable, human, story where the characters are, once again, key. Cas could be included. Let him fall. He has earned his rest. Let him explore something new, humanity. Let Sam and Dean find a life free of world-dominating ink. Maybe a weird little life but something better than the souless hodgepodge we've been getting.

gatoraderising

[30]Feb 1, 2012
    crazylegs99 wrote:

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if the show went on forever. I would still watch it! But ideally I think the show should have one more season. Season 7 shouldn't be the last. This season is too low key for it to be the final chapter. Season 8 needs to be epic!

My ideal season 8 :

- Lucifer and Michael break free! A showdown between Lucifer, Michael & Crowley would be freakin' gold!!

- Wasn't Castiel searching for God a few seasons ago? Season 8 should be when God finally makes an appearance!

I agree with all your points but one. A showdown between Lucifer and Michael would be sweet but either one of the Archangel's could easily kill Crowley.

JNM911

[31]Feb 1, 2012
    • level: 4

Since Season 1 the entire show built up to the finale of Season 5. Everything from the first episode onward kept building up to that epic conclusion of Sam being possessed by the Devil and sacrificing himself. I can watch Seasons 4 and 5 over and over again...the writers, producers, cast -- everyone were at the top of their game. Then all of a sudden season 6 starts and from the get go I was optimistic, but then the plot line floundered between Sam not having a soul to Originals to the Mother of All. That the thing I loved most about the show--that there was a reason for everything--was gone. The show has lost its way and I honestly believe it should have ended on a high note instead of squeezing in as many seasons as possible to please the fans. The show has definitely lost quality in its plot, which saddens me greatly as Supernatural is (or at least was) one of my favorite shows on television.

Bionetic

[32]Feb 3, 2012
    • level: 8
    I actually liked season 5. Season 6 was ok, but season 7 is just butchering the show. I almost get the impression they are doing it on purpose just to mess with the fans. They got rid of Dean's awesome ride, they kill off Bobby, they destroyed the Bobby's junkyard home, the phased out Castiel and the angels. Basically to me they are systematically eliminating everything that makes the show work. They show could have a season or two left if someone who knew what they were doing was in charge, but the last couple of episodes makes it clear that's not the case. If they knew what they were doing they could explore the Apocalyptic future that Dean traveled to where Sam is the anti-Christ. Basically they could tell us what happened to the Horseman Plague and his plot to spread disease and show how the world goes into the crapper and also they could explore the deterioration of Sam into the Antichrist. This Leviathan storyline was interesting for a minute, but is getting old fast.

gatoraderising

[33]Feb 4, 2012
    Bionetic wrote:
    I actually liked season 5. Season 6 was ok, but season 7 is just butchering the show. I almost get the impression they are doing it on purpose just to mess with the fans. They got rid of Dean's awesome ride, they kill off Bobby, they destroyed the Bobby's junkyard home, the phased out Castiel and the angels. Basically to me they are systematically eliminating everything that makes the show work. They show could have a season or two left if someone who knew what they were doing was in charge, but the last couple of episodes makes it clear that's not the case. If they knew what they were doing they could explore the Apocalyptic future that Dean traveled to where Sam is the anti-Christ. Basically they could tell us what happened to the Horseman Plague and his plot to spread disease and show how the world goes into the crapper and also they could explore the deterioration of Sam into the Antichrist. This Leviathan storyline was interesting for a minute, but is getting old fast.

Well Sam's not the Antichrist. When Dean traveled to the furture that was Lucifer in Sam not Sam as the Antichrist.

Bionetic

[34]Mar 18, 2012
    • level: 8
    Yeah, now I remember, your right. The Antichrist was that "innocent" kid. Some alternative interpretation of the anti-Christ.

puppybunny1

[35]Mar 21, 2012
    • level: 13

After killing off Castiel and Bobby, I gave up on the show. I may just watch on Friday just to see how they bring Castiel back. This season is so bad, I want to cry.

supering

[36]Mar 26, 2012
    • level: 20
    crazylegs99 wrote:

My ideal season 8 :

And wasn't Chuck revealed to be god a few seasons ago? Having Rob Benedict back on the show would be good! I've been waiting for that, but it appears to have been forgotten..
    I like your ideas. SN has come to a point where they need Castiel (well, the fans need Cas/Misha, have since the first moment he appeared on our screen I suppose! ) Death always makes the episodes. Fabulous actor. They should not use him too much, ruins the mysic, otherwordly dynamic to him. But one or two eps per season (with a good ep & storyline build up) could totally work. Would love to see him again. As for future seasons.. I dread the day it is over, while at the same time I am terrified of too many seasons. I'm not entirely feeling the show lately, but IMO season 7 is better than s6. Keeps this up, decide S8 is final. As long as they don't go over the top, fell like "It's the end, we can do whatever we want", but rather still keep it down to earth (or, sort of. It's SN and they've shown us heaven, so can't keep it litteraly too down to earth ) and are able to balance the epic finale with the toned down awesomenass that is (or was) SN. (This is getting messy, and I have to go. But yes) I don't want it to last forever, but I'm not ready to let it go yet. Altho I'll problably sit here nest year aswell feeling the same and say they should do yet another year, I'm gonna say now, Season 8 should be final.