Supernatural Anime

  • Avatar of SuperFan5

    SuperFan5

    [1]Jan 11, 2011
    • member since: 01/11/11
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 1

    Is it in Canada?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of basenji529

    basenji529

    [2]Jan 13, 2011
    • member since: 03/12/09
    • level: 15
    • rank: Ginsu Knife
    • posts: 1,935

    Hasn't even debuted in America yet.


    I just hope it won't be turned into some macekre wherein all theadult content is removed.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of libra113

    libra113

    [3]Jan 13, 2011
    • member since: 10/04/05
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 24,388
    I don't understand why they're doing it at all. Why can't the people in Japan just watch the same we did and be happy? Have they reached a point where if it isn't animated they won't watch it or something? Seems like a silly waste of time to me.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of dpebbleson

    dpebbleson

    [4]Jan 13, 2011
    • member since: 11/06/09
    • level: 24
    • rank: Golden Girl
    • posts: 5,664
    libra113 wrote:
    I don't understand why they're doing it at all. Why can't the people in Japan just watch the same we did and be happy? Have they reached a point where if it isn't animated they won't watch it or something? Seems like a silly waste of time to me.


    I'm actually looking forward to these adaptations. It changes medium from live action to animated series, and change will be interesting to watch. Why adapt at all? I don't know, if someone didn't do it, we wouldn't get so many good books made into films and shows, so many shows and films made even better in cartoons, and even SPN adapts (urban) legends into episodes.

    It's a constant flow : )
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of libra113

    libra113

    [5]Jan 13, 2011
    • member since: 10/04/05
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 24,388
    Well, if they're going to do it why not do something original, like maybe John's early years or something like that? Why redo the series with just the arc episodes?

    Also, I'm not a fan of the way Japanimation is drawn with the big eyes and weird looking angles and all. If they were going to do it I wish they would do it strait so the characters would look like real people and do original stories so it would be something new.

    Oh well. Have to say I would still try it to see what it was like but sights aren't set high.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of saicr

    saicr

    [6]Jan 13, 2011
    • member since: 01/24/06
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 97

    I agree, I'm not looking forward to an anime version of supernatural. The characters don't even really look like sam and dean, the whole time I was watching the preview clip I was trying not to laugh at how strange and over the top it was.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of libra113

    libra113

    [7]Jan 13, 2011
    • member since: 10/04/05
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 24,388
    Yeah, I've never been a fan of anime and how the animation looks. It's fine if you doing something that supposed to be kinda funny or over the top but when you're doing something that's supposed to be dramatic or serious the big eyes stuff just looks weird.

    That said I have seen some of the more adult anime where the characters look more real and whole thing seems WAY more down to Earth but still IF they were going to do this I would rather it be American made and have animate along the lines of the classic action cartoons where everything was drawn to look real, or at least maybe like the DC Animated Universe where things are kinda cartoon-like but not to the point where the whole thing can't be taken seriously.

    I also wish they would have chosen to do an original story and not just take the first season and cut out all the stand alone stories to make it one long retelling of the arc stories from that season. I mean come on, we know so little about John's early days (aside from the comics), or when Dean first started hunting with John or the days when it was young Sam and Dean working with John or just young Sam and Dean seeing things from a distance or something.

    There are so many untapped story possiblities that the show can't do becasue it's focused on just today's Sam and Dean and it would be nice to see that stuff told in animation but not this.

    Again, I will likely try it, given the chance, but I'm not looking for much out of it.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of dpebbleson

    dpebbleson

    [8]Jan 14, 2011
    • member since: 11/06/09
    • level: 24
    • rank: Golden Girl
    • posts: 5,664
    libra113 wrote:
    Well, if they're going to do it why not do something original, like maybe John's early years or something like that? Why redo the series with just the arc episodes?


    That's a fine idea actually. But maybe they figured fans would tune in to see the main arc they were attracted to in the first place.

    libra113 wrote:
    Also, I'm not a fan of the way Japanimation is drawn with the big eyes and weird looking angles and all. If they were going to do it I wish they would do it strait so the characters would look like real people and do original stories so it would be something new.


    But then it wouldn't be Japanimation? And we'll have to see, as far as I can guess, they will do some extra stories, not covered in the show.

    libra113 wrote:
    Oh well. Have to say I would still try it to see what it was like but sights aren't set high.


    I'm looking forward to it because the creators of 'Death Note' are doing it, and 'Death Note' is so very awesome, like one of the best anime ever.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of tvtome_xena321

    tvtome_xena321

    [9]Jan 14, 2011
    • member since: 04/24/05
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 2,526
    I'm looking forward to it, as I'm actually looking forward to the backstories of supporting characters bobby, john, ellen etc. and the boys childhood, Sam and Jess. However one thing I felt was wrong why is the first episode Skin, why the heck didn't they just start with the pilot. I like the episode, but it seems odd to not start with the pilot.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of libra113

    libra113

    [10]Jan 14, 2011
    • member since: 10/04/05
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 24,388
    I have seen some intresting and well drawn anime (mostly the stuff that's aimed at adult veiwers which tends to be more realistic and better animated), but I'm kinda worried about what this will be.

    Anyone know of any sites to see still since my internet isn't fast enough for clips?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of basenji529

    basenji529

    [11]Jan 15, 2011
    • member since: 03/12/09
    • level: 15
    • rank: Ginsu Knife
    • posts: 1,935

    libra113 wrote:
    I don't understand why they're doing it at all. Why can't the people in Japan just watch the same we did and be happy? Have they reached a point where if it isn't animated they won't watch it or something? Seems like a silly waste of time to me.


    Usually, it's executive meddling. Let's just assume that it's macekre in reverse.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of tvtome_xena321

    tvtome_xena321

    [12]Jan 16, 2011
    • member since: 04/24/05
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 2,526
    Now I do wonder if the Anime is going to stick to the series storylines, to be honest I hope it will branch out and become its own if you know what I mean, and not just stick to Supernatural canon and storytelling.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of libra113

    libra113

    [13]Jan 16, 2011
    • member since: 10/04/05
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 24,388
    That's the part I understand the least. From what I've heard it's going to basically be season one with the stand alone episodes removed and only the mytharc stuff left. Still, some standalone episodes inform on aspects of the mytharc so I don't know what they're going to do there and I also don't know if it's going to be word for word or what. Seems to me the people of Japan (and where ever else this is going to be made for) could do MUCH better just watching the same season one the rest of us did and leave it at that.

    Again, IF they were going to do something new and original to exapand the story (maybe focus on what John was doing during season one or something) then I would be all for it but to rehash it in animation for no apprent reason seems silly.

    Just what is the stated point of this project (if any) anyway?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of basenji529

    basenji529

    [14]Jan 16, 2011
    • member since: 03/12/09
    • level: 15
    • rank: Ginsu Knife
    • posts: 1,935

    libra113 wrote:
    Just what is the stated point of this project (if any) anyway?


    Well, a lot of shows tend to remake like that. Rebuild of Evangelion is basically a lighter and softer remake of Evangelion. This is standard for Japan.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of libra113

    libra113

    [15]Jan 16, 2011
    • member since: 10/04/05
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 24,388
    Well, I don't know what thoes shows are but "Supernatural" isn't Japanese and if their audience can't just watch the same the show the rest of us did I don't see the point in repackaging it in animated form just to suit them.

    I mean really, has Japan gotten to a place where all they watch are ghost movies (like "Ringu") or animation stuff? Can't they just watch a normal TV show with flesh and blood actors? I guess it's cheaper than doing a Japanese remake with actual actors.

    Of course the deeper issue is: will a lot of "Supernatural" even translate? Will they understand the subtext and Americana or are they just going 86 that too?

    Just don't understand the whole concept I guess.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of dpebbleson

    dpebbleson

    [16]Jan 16, 2011
    • member since: 11/06/09
    • level: 24
    • rank: Golden Girl
    • posts: 5,664

    libra113 wrote:
    Of course the deeper issue is: will a lot of "Supernatural" even translate? Will they understand the subtext and Americana or are they just going 86 that too?


    I dunno, Supernatural has international audience, which mostly gets it. A lot of stuff which isn't really Americana was incorporated into SPN. Americans, having the wealthiest show industry, have so far used everyone's myths and legends to make commercial shows, from Greek/Roman mythology, to Celtic stuff (like King Arthur), to Norse/Old Germanic things (Beowulf), not to mention all the Buddhism, Taoism (yin and yang) etc.


    Has that translated well to the screen? I wouldn't say so, in most of the cases. In fact, so much has been taken for being exotic, and without even basic respect for the thing itself, it was just butchered into the same story. Take 'Clash of the Titans' - an exciting film, but really a butchery of Greek legends, or upcoming 'Thor', the trailer of which made me nauseous.


    So yeah, they will probably butcher Americana as well, but for once I'm interested in results. Not because I enjoy butchering, which I obviously don't, but because we've all seen how other traditions translate into American films, due to the huge output. This is one of those chances where you get to see how American 'mythology' is seen through the eyes of a foreign culture. And if you feel uncomfortable, then you might just be experiencing what all those Chinese or Indian viewers felt when their sacred gods were degraded to petty beings not being able to fight the almighty Lucifer from Christian tradition. Or what I may have felt (if I didn't take it as a joke) when one of my people's ancient spirits was turned into Paris Hilton.


    But that's the nature of the beast, SPN is about restructuring old things and making them fit the show's mythology. It's legitimate, even if it isn't well-researched at some points. But what's legitimate for SPN is legitimate for Japanese: If Supernatural can take a Greek goddess of truth and turn her into a reporter, than I guess Japanese can take American heroes and twist them into their own story.

    Edited on 01/16/2011 4:47pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of libra113

    libra113

    [17]Jan 16, 2011
    • member since: 10/04/05
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 24,388
    Well, to be clear when "Supernatural" does it it's not poor research (in fact I remember one of the writers saying they spend whole days in their week online looking into everything they do), it's them presenting something in the way it is in their universe.

    Of course, in "Supernatural" the 'lesser' deitites couldn't take out Lucifer. (1) they're 'lesser' gods because Christianity came along and religated them to myths and legends and their power bases where destroyed and they were demonized (in some cases litterally, as it WAS an early Christian practice to lable the old gods as demons trying to trick humans into worshipping false gods) and (2) becasue having them win would be too easy and would steal Sam and Dean's thunder (in the same way that having God himself show up and fix it all himself).

    My thing was would they even understand things like the refrences to classic rock? Would they understand the underlying backstory of "Bugs" (assuming that even gets included)? Things like that.

    Also, I again don't see the point to retreating the story when they've done it already.

    I've just recently looked on the internet and apprently they HAVE already done a Japanise dub the show (in fact the same voice actors who did the show are doing the animated thing), so I REALLY don't see the point. Who is this aimed to? Surely anyone intrested has already seen the series in live action so why bother?

    The sample artwork I saw on the sight was okay. Sam and Dean don't look like Sam and Dean much (about as much as in the comics and stuff) but they're also not TOO Japanimation-like. The eyes are a little big but not insainly big, I can deal.

    I dunno, I also read there is going to be SOME new material but it seems to me that you either do ALL new material or not bother.

    I mean the books and comics (despite their own issues) are cool becasue they tell something new and not just rehash or repackage the same thing we've seen already. I don't think most people would want to buy books that just adaptions of the episodes (even if it has some new material to pad up the book) or the comics if they were the same deal.

    Oh well. Maybe this will be succsessful and they will decide to do some that are totally new later or something.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of dpebbleson

    dpebbleson

    [18]Jan 17, 2011
    • member since: 11/06/09
    • level: 24
    • rank: Golden Girl
    • posts: 5,664

    libra113 wrote:
    Well, to be clear when "Supernatural" does it it's not poor research (in fact I remember one of the writers saying they spend whole days in their week online looking into everything they do), it's them presenting something in the way it is in their universe.


    Okay, I was more thinking of American shows in general, I agree SPN usually has good research, but not in every occasion. Not a big sin, though, they'd have to have brains like skyscrapers to get allthose myths and legends right. And as I said, it's okay, it's their show, one doesn't have to watch it if he/she finds it uncomfortable or badly informed. But that also means Japanese shows have the same right to do other people's stuff and integrate as they like into their own vision.


    libra113 wrote:
    Of course, in "Supernatural" the 'lesser' deitites couldn't take out Lucifer. (1) they're 'lesser' gods because Christianity came along and religated them to myths and legends and their power bases where destroyed and they were demonized (in some cases litterally, as it WAS an early Christian practice to lable the old gods as demons trying to trick humans into worshipping false gods)


    and (2) becasue having them win would be too easy and would steal Sam and Dean's thunder (in the same way that having God himself show up and fix it all himself).


    I understand your points. From narrative point of you, I agree. However, Christianity, even though the largest religion is not the only one: there are over one billion people in India, and over one billion and three hundred million in China. So Christianity is large, but it's not that dominant. Just consider the message that episode sent to the fans from China or India: you believe in petty demons who don't believe in their own religions (Odin: "I'm supposed to be eaten by a large wolf"). Only Christianity is true, even though, according to the same episode, pagan gods "were there first".


    But we had this discussion earlier, so no point sparking it again. I get that Sam and Dean were the ones to win against Lucifer, but it could've been done with more respect for the other religions in this wide world.


    libra113 wrote:
    My thing was would they even understand things like the refrences to classic rock? Would they understand the underlying backstory of "Bugs" (assuming that even gets included)? Things like that.


    Well, did the Americans understand the backstory of Vanir in that 'Scarecrow' episode. It's a Norse god. If they could get William B. Davis on SPN to explain, I'm sure they will draw some character into animated version to do his job I mean, it's not that majority of Americans (or viewers generally) have heard of all those different types of ghosts, monsters, gods, or even Christian lore. That's why we have Sam the Geek and Bobby the Loremaster.


    As for classic rock, I dunno. Classic rock is listened world-wide. I think it's about the public. For example, I haven't listened to much classic rock but still enjoy the show. You maybe have and you can get the references and enjoy it more or differently. There will be Japanese viewers who will catch the references and those who won't. No big deal for me. I'm sure if they throw in classic rock, the fans will at least notice the pleasant lack of pop


    libra113 wrote:
    Also, I again don't see the point to retreating the story when they've done it already. I've just recently looked on the internet and apprently they HAVE already done a Japanise dub the show (in fact the same voice actors who did the show are doing the animated thing), so I REALLY don't see the point. Who is this aimed to? Surely anyone intrested has already seen the series in live action so why bother?


    They surely have audience, otherwise they wouldn't do it.


    libra113 wrote:
    The sample artwork I saw on the sight was okay. Sam and Dean don't look like Sam and Dean much (about as much as in the comics and stuff) but they're also not TOO Japanimation-like. The eyes are a little big but not insainly big, I can deal. I dunno, I also read there is going to be SOME new material but it seems to me that you either do ALL new material or not bother. I mean the books and comics (despite their own issues) are cool becasue they tell something new and not just rehash or repackage the same thing we've seen already. I don't think most people would want to buy books that just adaptions of the episodes (even if it has some new material to pad up the book) or the comics if they were the same deal. Oh well. Maybe this will be succsessful and they will decide to do some that are totally new later or something.


    But who says they will do the exact same things? As far as I know the first animated season will cover first two season of live version. They promise to focus more on their relationship with John, their past, and some side-missions they were on to off-screen. I think they will incorporate some iconic episodes, while adding some episodes which fit Japanimation: with tentacled monsters and all that. And they'll definitely have no problems with special effects.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of SohiHien

    SohiHien

    [19]Jan 17, 2011
    • member since: 02/14/07
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 599
    Wow you really need to relax. Supernatural is really popular in Japan, they dub the actual show over there and there are manga stories and everything about them. It's only natural that the show's popularity would lead to an anime being made. Just like if shows are popular here they get a cartoon or a spin-off show (private practice anyone?) I consider this is good thing, it really shows that supernatural has a worldwide appeal and will help increase the popularity of the show. I hope I will be able to watch it either subbed online or dubbed over here. Revisiting the first two seasons (which were like 4 years ago now) in a new way will be interesting. I don't see why you are so against this. You really should be open to other countries/cultures.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of libra113

    libra113

    [20]Jan 17, 2011
    • member since: 10/04/05
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 24,388
    Well, yeah I guess just seems it would be better to do something totally diffrent and fresh and not just rehash or re-explore what's been done already.

    I would rather see season one from John's point of view for example. We know he was trailing the demon and tacking it and all that but what EXACTLY was he doing? I would also love something about why Elkins had the Colt all the way back as the 70's even? What was the reason for John's falling out with Elkins? Was it becasue John wanted to find the Colt and Elkins was thwarting his attempts while hiding that he knew anything about it? Did John perhaps find out that Elkins had contact with Mary and that's how he got the Colt back? Why did he fall out with Bobby? What was the deal with Bobby threatening to shoot John? There's a lot of room in the timeline of the show and it would be nice if they found a way to address that rather than just rehashing "Skin" or something.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.