TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Supernatural Anime

tvtome_xena321

[101]Apr 16, 2011
    • level: 27
    libra113 wrote:
    I will say, one good thing about movie remakes is a lot of the time the remakes get the originals out on DVD.

I remember when they did that remake of "Dawn of the Dead", the original had been out of print for years but when the remake hit the theaters the original hit the store shelves and that was great.

Yeah that is a plus, haha I totally remember that one 2, I have the dvd of the original myself.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

libra113

[102]Apr 16, 2011
    tvtome_xena321 wrote:
    libra113 wrote:
    I will say, one good thing about movie remakes is a lot of the time the remakes get the originals out on DVD.

I remember when they did that remake of "Dawn of the Dead", the original had been out of print for years but when the remake hit the theaters the original hit the store shelves and that was great.

Yeah that is a plus, haha I totally remember that one 2, I have the dvd of the original myself.
    I have them both plus a Japanse import of the remake I got by mistake on ebay (thanks to a dishonest seller).

basenji529

[103]Apr 17, 2011
    • level: 15

Gotta love George Takei's tweets about the new Akira movie:

"WB's live action film AKIRA based on JAPANESE comic casting only WHITE leads. Hey, I ride a mean motorbike! #WhyNotJohnCho"

"A blog re AKIRA live action film whitewashing–white lead actors, renaming Tetsuo to Travis?! http://ow.ly/4qw7i #ShameOnWB"

"Live action of anime classic Akira will use white actors. In related news, remake of Roots to star Mel Gibson. #ShameOnWB"

"When they made this parody they thought they were being satirical, not prophetic. http://ow.ly/1sjjPw #WhitewashedAkira"

"Young Asian actors get few oppys in Hwood. WB could've helped change this w/ Akira but is casting only whites. #WhyItMatters"

Summarized it in less than 150 characters. Though the apostrophe wasn't necessary. I can tell you, it's even worse for Indians. There was actually a "Comanche" from Norway in Hollywood in the 90s.

libra113

[104]Apr 17, 2011
    Yeah and little people were angry they didn't get cast as Hobbits in "Lord of the Rings"... Look how that worked out?

basenji529

[105]Apr 18, 2011

Well, it's a little worse than that. The new Akira is apparently about 9/11. LOL Also, Kay and Kaneda have sex (as opposed to not even getting to a relationship before the weird ending). And now Akira is a villain with a creepy children's song. Which one? "Frere Jacques". Yes, every moral decision, philosophical discussion, and "ethnic gesture" (to use Macek's term) is now the American trinity of fightin', **** and fervor.

dpebbleson

[106]Apr 19, 2011
    • level: 24
    basenji529 wrote:

Well, it's a little worse than that. The new Akira is apparently about 9/11. LOL Also, Kay and Kaneda have sex (as opposed to not even getting to a relationship before the weird ending). And now Akira is a villain with a creepy children's song. Which one? "Frere Jacques". Yes, every moral decision, philosophical discussion, and "ethnic gesture" (to use Macek's term) is now the American trinity of fightin', **** and fervor.

Ahaha, sounds like standard juvenile treatment that sort of stuff goes through when adapted to North American "vision".

basenji529

[107]Apr 21, 2011

dpebbleson wrote:
    basenji529 wrote:

Ahaha, sounds like standard juvenile treatment that sort of stuff goes through when adapted to North American "vision".

Basically. I just can't believe they chose "Frere Jacques" as the creepy children's song. Especially when there are many creepier ones.

libra113

[108]Apr 21, 2011
    basenji529 wrote:

dpebbleson wrote:
    basenji529 wrote:

Basically. I just can't believe they chose "Frere Jacques" as the creepy children's song. Especially when there are many creepier ones.

I don't know I've ALWAYS found that one pretty creepy.

basenji529

[109]Apr 23, 2011

Hey, you're number 108.

I'll try to be number 27648.

libra113

[110]Apr 23, 2011
    basenji529 wrote:

Hey, you're number 108.

I'll try to be number 27648.

Okay and good luck with that.