Supernatural Forums

Tuesday 9:00 PM on The CWIn Season

Supernatural to become an anime?

Writerpatrick

[1]Jun 9, 2010
    • level: 13

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-06-09/supernatural-the-animation-project-launched-in-japan

I suspect it will be a OAV DVD like the Animatrix, Batman:Gotham Knight or Halo: Legends.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

libra113

[2]Jun 9, 2010
    • level: 27
    Have no clue but I DO hope it's available here AND that it does the shows, characters and everyone justice.

dpebbleson

[3]Jun 10, 2010
    • level: 23
    Finally they'll be able to show some special effects if they do that

Though, as you say Libs, first they need to do it justice

Writerpatrick

[4]Jun 10, 2010

Further info:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-06-10/madhouse-makes-anime-for-warners-supernatural-tv-show

It's going to be a 22-episode series concentrating on the story from the first two seasons. So it sounds like it's going to be more episodic ghosthunting stories and less about deamons.

The DVDs come out in January, although that may only be the release date for the Japanese DVDs.

libra113

[5]Jun 10, 2010
    What set during the first couple of years OR retelling it? Who is gonna do the voice if not the original actors?

So hope this doesn't blow.

wwjd_

[6]Jun 10, 2010

Oh that is SUWEET! I seriously cannot wait! I LOVE anime and Supernatural (The best show on earth) having an animated series is kinda awesome...I can't wait to see how they do this. I'm soooo gonna but it!

ScareyKitty

[7]Jun 15, 2010
    • level: 5

libra113 wrote:
    What set during the first couple of years OR retelling it? Who is gonna do the voice if not the original actors? So hope this doesn't blow.

see full article here http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-06-10/madhouse-makes-anime-for-warners-supernatural-tv-show I am assuming from the article that these are being created for video release only?

the voices will be as shown:

posted on 2010-06-10 05:49 Yuya Uchida (Soul Eater's Dr. Franken Stein, Naruto Shippūden's Rinji) will dub the role of Sam, while Hiroki Touchi (Trinity Blood's Abel Nightroad, Bokurano's Kokkpelli) will dub the role of Dean. Both actors dubbed these same roles for the live-action version in Japanese. Sources: AV Watch, Presepe News

tvtome_xena321

[8]Jun 19, 2010
    So some eps get remade (cut down to suite Anime length 22 mins) and new ones is it?

basenji529

[9]Jun 23, 2010
    • level: 15

1. This sounds great, but let's see if the 22-minute format works well.

2. Just what we need: More justification for yaoi fangirls.

ToxicAngel503

[10]Jun 23, 2010
    • level: 26
    Sorry, but I think this is the dumbest idea ever. Granted I don't give two craps for anime or manga or any of that stuff, but still. Why? This show doesn't need to be made into an anime. If people want more, there's plenty of badly written fic for them to consume.

libra113

[11]Jun 23, 2010
    ToxicAngel503 wrote:
    Sorry, but I think this is the dumbest idea ever. Granted I don't give two craps for anime or manga or any of that stuff, but still. Why? This show doesn't need to be made into an anime. If people want more, there's plenty of badly written fic for them to consume.
    The part I don't get is retelling season one. What's the matter they won't watch it in Japan if it's not all anime or whatever? Why don't they just watch the DVDs and put the money toward something else.

How about original stories? How about a spotlight on Cas and what he was doing in season five and six when he wasn't around Sam and Dean? How about using the format to tell stories that the show has neither the time or budget to tell properly?

ToxicAngel503

[12]Jun 25, 2010
    • level: 26
    Actually I don't think they're retelling season 1 so much as using the original formula of the show (roll into town, find monsters, kill monster, roll out of town) to make into some kind of series. Either way I think it's stupid and unnecessary. Probably a way for the CW to keep making money off the show once it ends after the 6th season.

libra113

[13]Jun 26, 2010
    ToxicAngel503 wrote:
    Actually I don't think they're retelling season 1 so much as using the original formula of the show (roll into town, find monsters, kill monster, roll out of town) to make into some kind of series. Either way I think it's stupid and unnecessary. Probably a way for the CW to keep making money off the show once it ends after the 6th season.
    Well, there's plenty of other ways for them to do that already rolling so this seems a bit pointless.

Now, I do like more adult oriented animation so it might not be SO bad as long as they handle it right.

basenji529

[14]Jun 28, 2010

ToxicAngel503 wrote:

Animation can be a good format. Don't know if the cartoon will be canon or not. I just hope they have good animators. Poor rendering of Sam and Dean will ruin this franchise.

zan4

[15]Jun 28, 2010
    • level: 10
    odds are it going to be pretty good... they can get away with more then what the tv show could of with special effect wise..

libra113

[16]Jun 28, 2010
    So I'm a little unclear on one point: Is this going to be distributed in the U.S. and through what method? Is it going to be on tv somewhere or direct to DVD? Will the dvd just have one episode per disk or whole 'seasons'? What's the deal on all that?

basenji529

[17]Jun 30, 2010

zan4 wrote:
    odds are it going to be pretty good... they can get away with more then what the tv show could of with special effect wise..

True. But I'm just worried about poor renderinig of Sam and Dean. As far as I'm concerned, my image of the boys will always be the live action image.

I always used the Star Wars Holiday Special as an example. The only good thing about it was the Boba Fett cartoon (Boba Fett uses Han as bait for a trap to catch Luke and present him to Darth Vader. Basically Empire reduced to fifteen minutes.), but even here, the portrayal of Han Solo doesn't really look like Han Solo, which kind of negatively impacts it.

The other thing I'm worried about is yaoi fangirls. Supernatural already gets a lot of them, and TPTB love to make fun of it, but animation is the yaoi fangirl's favorite medium. Think about it: Neon Genesis Evangelion, Gundam Wing...A lot of yaoi subtext in anime.

libra113

[18]Jun 30, 2010
    You lost me after "Star Wars Christmas Special" after that I didn't understand a word you said.

basenji529

[19]Jul 1, 2010

libra113 wrote:
    You lost me after "Star Wars Christmas Special" after that I didn't understand a word you said.

A horrible holiday special from 1978. Han takes Chewie home to visit his family for Life Day. In the mean time, we see some hilarious idiotic sketches. The only good one was the aforementioned Boba Fett cartoon, and in it, Han looks really weird. His hair reminds me of Spike Spiegel, and he has a weird hook nose and flat face.

As for yaoi fangirls, this show gets a lot of them already. I believe they're also called "slash fans". As in Sam slash Dean. Together. But they're even more common in animation. Here are some examples:

Dragonball Z With all the male nudity in this franchise, yeah.
    Neon Genesis Evangelion True story: Gainax actually put a 64-page Shinji x Kaoru spread in June, Japan's premier yaoi manga. Or so I heard. Either way, I'm sure both boys wanted their prog knives to penetrate the other's AT field.
    Gundam Wing Of course. Heero and Duo, Trowa and Quatre, Treize and Wufei. Ririna gets bashed for being female, and therefore a threat to the yaoi fangirl's fun. Standard "bash the threat" element of shipping.
    Pretty much any other anime or manga. Some like Gravitation are deliberately yaoi.

By the way, yaoi fangirls have no issues with yuri (lesbians). Yuri fanboys, OTOH, have a huge problem with yaoi, even when the homoeroticism was deliberately put in there. Yuri fanboys can be seen hanging around Tenchi Muyo (with its six-females-per-male ratio) and Sailor Moon (Haruka and Michiru are lesbians in Japan, not cousins.)

m-o-o-n

[20]Jul 1, 2010
    • level: 2

This has got to be the worst idea ever in the history of Supernatural. I don't mind anime or manga, I didn't mind Animatrix (although I saw very little connection to the real story) but making an anime on Supernatural, then in my opinion they might as well kill the series.

But I really, really, really, reallyhope they don't!!!