The Significance Of Faith

Oziez

[1]Oct 12, 2010
    • level: 6

it's always been a heated debate to whether or not the episode "faith" had any real significance and many people belived it did, i think that the unprompted the line that Roy said to dean, "I didn't pick you Dean, the lord did" had much more significance than it let on. The entire show proves to be based on that line, from killing yellow eyes, to being picked by michael, and even going to hell, the creators did not intend this line to be of any importance but it does go to show you how mysterious Supernatural truly is.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

libra113

[2]Oct 12, 2010
    • level: 27
    Well I wouldn't be suprised if they DID mean it to hint at things to come it just didn't SEEM all that significant at the time.

I've found a LOT of stuff like that shows up if you go back and watch old episodes in light of current events.

Stuff like Yellow Eyes wanting John's soul more than the Colt ("In My Time of Dying") and Mary telling Sam "I'm sorry" ("Home").

AnimeMadness

[3]Oct 15, 2010
    • level: 22
    Personally I feel like the writers go with the flow and they don't know what they have planned for the future. The episodes that seem like they whole significance now were probably lucky flukes.

libra113

[4]Oct 16, 2010
    AnimeMadness wrote:
    Personally I feel like the writers go with the flow and they don't know what they have planned for the future. The episodes that seem like they whole significance now were probably lucky flukes.
    I don't think so. I suspect (and have read) that they had the major elements planned out but the details were filled in while they go.

So major stuff like was locked in from the start but the details were adjustable and were adjusted as needed.

basenji529

[5]Oct 31, 2010
    • level: 15

That "go with the flow" thing only seems to be true if they say they have this planned out since they first pitched the idea. (For example, every new edition of Star Wars is how George Lucas imagined it in '73.)

Anyway, no, I think they have some stuff planned. I mean, the demon storyline covers most of the myth arc.

dpebbleson

[6]Oct 31, 2010
    • level: 24
    basenji529 wrote:
    (For example, every new edition of Star Wars is how George Lucas imagined it in '73.)

Ahaha, so true! He even planned the inconsistencies!

libra113

[7]Oct 31, 2010
    The that always bugged me is how better the techonolgy is in the prequals than in the original but then I read that the Empire supressed techonolgy so it couldn't be used against them it made sense.

basenji529

[8]Nov 1, 2010

That's why the Rebels can't clone Luke a new hand. Like they really would; there are already three Luke clones running around the Expanded Universe, and cloning new body parts is literallypowered by a forsaken child.

libra113

[9]Nov 1, 2010
    Well, in the movies the implication is that once the Empire was established that Palpatine suppressed technology. I'm sure he kept stuff for himself and his elite but the normal, everyday, technology grew stagnate and that's why in the original trilogy everything is grungy and broken down and seems less advanced that in the prequals that are actually further in the past.

It's not that out of line really, anytime you have an absoulute dictatorship going on technology gets suppressed and even backslides. Even now China is working overtime to suppress and control the internet in their borders so it isn't used against their goverment and while a LOT of Cuba's issues are due to the US embargo it's not entirely the reason people are driving around in cars from the 50's and 60's and yet SOME have camcorders and newer tech. Oh and I would also add that it's also implied that Jedi oppose cloning so yeah cloning Luke a new hand might be an issue. As I understand it some of the EU stuff (like you were talking about) suggests that clones don't give off force energy (becasue they're clones) and thus Jedi don't care for them much. It might also explain why Jedi seem to kill them with about as much thought as they crush droids, becasue, to them, they're just biological droids.

basenji529

[10]Nov 2, 2010

Jossed: In the animated series, Yoda says the clones not only give off Force energy, they each have a unique signature in the Force.

libra113

[11]Nov 2, 2010
    basenji529 wrote:

Jossed: In the animated series, Yoda says the clones not only give off Force energy, they each have a unique signature in the Force.

Another case of the written text not being considered 'official' or whatever.

basenji529

[12]Nov 3, 2010

Supposedly, the reason the Jedi couldn't sense the clones' intent was because the clones weren't doing it out of any malice, just following orders. They seriously believed they were defending the Republic because the Jedi tried to assassinate Palpatine. (The Jedi, of course, tried to assassinate Palpatine, so it wasn't a lie.)

libra113

[13]Nov 3, 2010
    basenji529 wrote:

Supposedly, the reason the Jedi couldn't sense the clones' intent was because the clones weren't doing it out of any malice, just following orders. They seriously believed they were defending the Republic because the Jedi tried to assassinate Palpatine. (The Jedi, of course, tried to assassinate Palpatine, so it wasn't a lie.)

Well outside the EU or whatever it's called it's mentioned that they opposed the clone army becasue clones have no soul and thus are outside the force and given the way they're shown cassually killing Clonetroopers (and later Stormtroopers) despite the anti-killing teachings of true Jedi training that must be true on some level otherwise they would all go darkside.

Still, the EU is like a totally diffrent universe really (think of the movies as one universe and EU as AU) so it doesn't really matter.

basenji529

[14]Nov 4, 2010

Well, I think it's clear that the whole purpose of the clones is to show that both sides are corrupt. So, Powered By A Forsaken Child?

libra113

[15]Nov 4, 2010
    basenji529 wrote:

Well, I think it's clear that the whole purpose of the clones is to show that both sides are corrupt. So, Powered By A Forsaken Child?

Yeah, building the clone army was Palpatine's show of power, the first step toward building his empire. I mean the Republic had been at peace for so long there was no army just the Jedi and he knew he couldn't really corrupt or control the Jedi fully and compleatly so he needed an army, but first he had to be installed as the head of the senate which meant he had to discredit and remove Valorum which worked like a charm using his home planet of Naboo as a rallying point. Once that was done and he hyped the so-called Sepratists (who he ALSO controlled in secret) as a threat to the Republic and made sure the droid founderies on Geanosis were discovered he was able to scare the senate into approving the clone army (a clone army he was ALREADY growing in secret on Cameno).

Once that was done all he had to do was discredit the Jedi, declare them outlaws (except for Anikin who had under his thumb as his new Sith apprentice) and the rest fell into place.

Funny, he could do all that but in the original movies he couldn't manage to crush the rebel alliance, stop the Millinum Falcon from blowing up the first Death Star or pretty much do anything properly.

I guess he had been in power too long and had grown soft and over confident while Vader grew older and rusty in his skills without a worthy enemy to fight.