Supernatural Forums

Tuesday 9:00 PM on The CWIn Season

Trying too hard to be more funky and modern?

Dandeleo

[1]Apr 11, 2013
    • level: 15

I'm a big fan of Supernatural and have been since the start, but over time (and mostly of late) they've gotten rid of their older secondary characters and replaced them with progressively younger and 'quirkier' characters. Gone are Winchester senior, Bobby and Rufus and many other old mediums and hunters to be replaced by Charlie (urgh!), Garth (he's only alright), Kevin (he's moving the plot at least) and the hunter teenager from the last week (nope, not for me)... and it goes on. The only older persons apart from the boys are Crowley, Cas and Naomi (because now Benny's gone). I can't say I'm that impressed. It's become more a roll-call for supposedly hip, young smart things that you'd really rather just got bit on by a vamp. I liked it when Dean was the sassy smarty and Sam his mostly straight man... they were the exception, not everyone else like them.

So am I alone in missing some older characters and disliking many of the young ones (even though I'm in the 'young' age group)?

And I so hate Charlie.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

BearSharkWeek

[2]Apr 11, 2013
    • level: 1

I don't mind Charlie and I love Garth. I've been watching Supernatural loyally since the first episode when itpremieredbut I don't think it has that spark anymore. I still love Sam and Dean (ParticularlyDean :s) to death and get sad thinking that the show will eventually end. However for a long time I feel it's lost that super fun quirky side of itself that was all about chasing monsters and being badasses. Now there is so much emotion and angels and blah blah blah... I honestly couldn't care less about the story plots since they're so unbelievablyridiculous. I didn't like that vampire hunter chick from that previous episode. She was very yawn yawn.

libra113

[3]Apr 14, 2013
    • level: 27

Not sure how the plots now are any more ridiculous than before. I mean a show like this the plots are going to be kind of like that as a given. We're talking about a show where monsters and demons are everywhere, the average person has no clue what's going and law enforcement make the stupidest assumptions because they just don't know. A certain level of ridiculousness is built right in.

As for the characters. We all knew that Bobby's days were numbers the moment he appeared (it's only sheer luck and character popularity that he lasted as long as he did) and of course Rufus was even more likely to get the chop since he was sort of a third or fourth string character (depending on how you count) and there have been many other characters who had the potential to stick around who didn't even make it out of the first episode and hell that little girl's hunter dad didn't even get the dignity of an onscreen death.

I like Charlie and Garth both and their characters wouldn't really have made any sense if they were older. As long as the show has been running we're in a shift right now where Sam and Dean are working their way into being the 'elder statesmen' of the show and the newer and younger hunters and people who help are coming up to take on the next generation. It's really only natural.

Edited on 04/14/2013 11:08am
    Edited 2 total times.

hamstrman

[4]May 1, 2013
    • level: 15

libra113 wrote:

Not sure how the plots now are any more ridiculous than before. I mean a show like this the plots are going to be kind of like that as a given. We're talking about a show where monsters and demons are everywhere, the average person has no clue what's going and law enforcement make the stupidest assumptions because they just don't know. A certain level of ridiculousness is built right in.

As for the characters. We all knew that Bobby's days were numbers the moment he appeared (it's only sheer luck and character popularity that he lasted as long as he did) and of course Rufus was even more likely to get the chop since he was sort of a third or fourth string character (depending on how you count) and there have been many other characters who had the potential to stick around who didn't even make it out of the first episode and hell that little girl's hunter dad didn't even get the dignity of an onscreen death.

I like Charlie and Garth both and their characters wouldn't really have made any sense if they were older. As long as the show has been running we're in a shift right now where Sam and Dean are working their way into being the 'elder statesmen' of the show and the newer and younger hunters and people who help are coming up to take on the next generation. It's really only natural.

Libra113,

You say almost everything I think. You're there to reasonably address the hyperbolic comments on this board for (allowably) disappointed people watching the show. The one thing I don't agree with is that Bobby's days were numbered. On shows like Buffy or Angel, they lost and gained characters over time - usually mostly gained. So a show that, while we knew it would focus primarily on the brothers, tries so hard to NOT add additional cast members is something I find to be anomalous and odd.

To the point the OP is making about getting rid of the "older" cast, we gained Ellen and Jo at the same time and lost them at the same time. One younger than the brothers, one older than the brothers. I enjoyed Charlie until now, but now I like her as a character since we got background on her and she got some integration into working with the brothers rather than just showing up randomly.

And Bela and Ruby were young (if you ignore that Ruby is a demon and is very "old") and were disposed of because of audience backlash. I don't think there's an age reassignment going on in the writers' room. Each departure from the show has been somewhat unique, many have not been "the end" as we've seen and really most have been due to the audience's reactions (or to provoke a reaction).

And libra113, like you said, we're ending year 8 now. The brothers are in their young 30s on the show now? So yeah, it makes sense to have them be in a groove and not screwing up. The next generation is up and coming, not to be "cool" and appealing to a younger audience. It just makes sense.

The only time they have no clue what to do is exactly in these plots of Heaven and Hell, Purgatory, beings that they can't stop as humans. The people wishing for the "good old days" don't realize they could easily stop these creatures they've dealt with so many times before. And now with all of that Men of Letters research! They've put good spins on the same old creatures - like the djinn recently - but they're the only ones equipped to be in the middle of the crazy crap that's going on and be way out of their league. It makes them have to band together that much more.

libra113

[5]May 2, 2013
    • level: 27
    Well, the people running the show have said, pretty much from the start, that they and the audience know that they can kill Sam or Dean (at least not for good) so they keep the stakes high and the emotions ramped up by killing everyone around them. Basically, everyone around them is fair game and is likely to end up dead at some point.

The only reason Bobby didn't get the axe, at least forever, was because he was popular with the fandom pretty much from the first time he appeared (although, having been here at the time I do recall some people questioning his loyalty and if he might not end up turning on Sam and Dean at some point). Other than he probably would have died sooner (I know I thought for sure he was toast when he stabbed himself with Ruby's knife and when he died in "The End" I figured it really was the end for him).

Yeah, like I was saying, at this point Sam and Dean have been at this for awhile (on and off screen) and they're hitting their 30's (I just saw "The Curious Case of Dean Winchester" on TNT today and Sam said Dean was 30 in that episode and that's been a few years ago) so yeah they are sort of starting to fall in the role of vets and senior statesmen who will begin to interact more with the younger up and comes (just like their dad and Bobby did when they were young up and comers).

I really think the show should explore that more in this and next season in fact with them working with more hunters, showing and guiding those who end up coming to them for advice and help, in fact it would be a good way to slide into semi (or even full) retirement of the characters as the series comes to a final close. Of course they would probably still go out themselves from time to time (unless they had a good reason not to) like Bobby did but I really see them heading toward that role and at this point in the story it's only natural.