Supernatural Forums

Tuesday 9:00 PM on The CWBetween Seasons

What happened to Castiel?

MatthewRaiche

[1]Feb 9, 2013
    • level: 5

He's such a great character! He's a badass and he's also funny. I loved the scene in which he intimidated Crowley in "A Little Slice of Kevin" (S8E7).

Is the actor tired of doing the show, do the producers think having an angel on their side would give the brothers too much of an advantage...?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

basenji529

[2]Feb 9, 2013
    • level: 15

Basically he ended up in Purgatory after his plan to become the new God kinda backfired and he unleashed a leviathan on the world. Now he's come back in some sort of schizophrenic situation where an angel orders him to do unspeakable acts for the good of Heaven.

gatoraderising

[3]Feb 9, 2013
    • level: 7
    He's still in the show. Just not in most ep like he was in season 4-6. My guess is he will be in more ep''s towards the end of the season.

Tyrathius

[4]Feb 12, 2013
    • level: 4

Castiel is a writer's worst nightmare: Too powerful to keep around without breaking the story, and too popular to get rid of without pissing off a lot of fans.

So basically they have to keep Worfing him every time he shows up. I think they've actually tried to write him out before (his "death" in 7x02) but eventually caved in and brought him back.

libra113

[5]Feb 25, 2013
    • level: 27

They need him to be cut off from Heaven again (perhaps after finding out what they've done to him and made him do) so that he has some power but not all his old power. He was nicely balanced during that point in time.

MatthewRaiche

[6]May 10, 2013
    • level: 5

libra113 wrote:

They need him to be cut off from Heaven again (perhaps after finding out what they've done to him and made him do) so that he has some power but not all his old power. He was nicely balanced during that point in time.

Wow, that was averyclose prediction.

libra113

[7]May 25, 2013

MatthewRaiche wrote:

libra113 wrote:

Wow, that was averyclose prediction.

Yeah, think that's the closest I've ever gotten.

Sci-FiLover22

[8]Jul 25, 2013
    • level: 3

MatthewRaiche wrote:

He's such a great character! He's a badass and he's also funny. I loved the scene in which he intimidated Crowley in "A Little Slice of Kevin" (S8E7).

Is the actor tired of doing the show, do the producers think having an angel on their side would give the brothers too much of an advantage...?

its nice that you think his a great character b/c i cant stand castiel guts.some like him i dont.i always like anna ten times more than castiel.this why i dont like castiel.

1.i said this before,when dean was torturing alastiar and anna told castiel it was wrong and he didnt listen.and then he turns anna in to be brainwash.now all of a sudden when castiel in trouble he dont go to heaven.he do want to do what heaven tells him but he felt it was oaky for anna to do what they tell her.so twisted aint it?.

2.i understand making 1 bad choice and not doing it again.castiel just keep making this bad decision over and over and over again like his god.like when he turned into some crazy god man.can castiel get more deillusional?

3.whencatiel let all the angels fall out of heaven b/csomeone whispering in his ear.castiel thought he was doing something good.which really makes me mad b/c when sam do things he believe to be good castiel give him a hard time about it.but when it comes to castiel self and what he done suddenly his mr.quiet man.

the problem i have with castiel his not growing as a character what so ever to me.he makes the same mistakes over and over.after all what he seen,it seems he would do more studying or something but he dont.anyone he never meet can whisper little thoughts in his ear and castiel listens like a dumba**.i never liked bobby but i prefer bobby over castiel.i tend to like characters that not really seen alot of supernatural like john,ava,meg,adam,anna etc. so i dont like castiel.i like eps more without him the most but there are some i do like with him in it b/c the plot moves along. everyone different i jus cant stand castiel.sorry.

Edited on 07/25/2013 8:42am

libra113

[9]Oct 9, 2013
    You do realize that Sam and Dean ALSO make the same mistakes over and over again, right? How many times have they made deals with or allied themselves with some higher power only to have it bite them in their asses? How many times do they make the choice to lie to each other and hide information from each other (hell, Dean is doing it again right now)?

At very least Cas has the excuse of still being kind of new to this whole free will thing and still learning how our world works. What's their excuse?

hamstrman

[10]Oct 10, 2013

Sci-FiLover22 wrote:

MatthewRaiche wrote:

its nice that you think his a great character b/c i cant stand castiel guts.some like him i dont.i always like anna ten times more than castiel.this why i dont like castiel.

1.i said this before,when dean was torturing alastiar and anna told castiel it was wrong and he didnt listen.and then he turns anna in to be brainwash.now all of a sudden when castiel in trouble he dont go to heaven.he do want to do what heaven tells him but he felt it was oaky for anna to do what they tell her.so twisted aint it?.

2.i understand making 1 bad choice and not doing it again.castiel just keep making this bad decision over and over and over again like his god.like when he turned into some crazy god man.can castiel get more deillusional?

3.whencatiel let all the angels fall out of heaven b/csomeone whispering in his ear.castiel thought he was doing something good.which really makes me mad b/c when sam do things he believe to be good castiel give him a hard time about it.but when it comes to castiel self and what he done suddenly his mr.quiet man.

the problem i have with castiel his not growing as a character what so ever to me.he makes the same mistakes over and over.after all what he seen,it seems he would do more studying or something but he dont.anyone he never meet can whisper little thoughts in his ear and castiel listens like a dumba**.i never liked bobby but i prefer bobby over castiel.i tend to like characters that not really seen alot of supernatural like john,ava,meg,adam,anna etc. so i dont like castiel.i like eps more without him the most but there are some i do like with him in it b/c the plot moves along. everyone different i jus cant stand castiel.sorry.

Obviously my post is purely subjective, but just seeing the statements that you always disliked Bobby and Castiel (which is objectively fine) and LIKED, for example, John and Adam (yikes!) puts things in perspective as to whom I'm responding. You're saying the less you see of a character, the more you like them? That's to say the less developed they are, the less we learn about them, their mistakes, their redemption, their regular interactions with other characters makes them better? That seems backwards to me.

I think Misha Collins has played so many different character types and that's great to see how well he pulls them off. From dead-faced follower of heaven; his mopey attitude over rebelling against heaven; his confusion over trying to fit in as human; glimpses of actually displaying humanity in his relationship with Dean; his aggravation over fighting the war in heaven; his crazy havoc attitude when he had the Leviathans in him (albeit brief, I loved it - "This is gonna be fun!"); his broken, insane personality after he takes on Sam's affliction; and now his curious human experience. They're all so different!

And Jim Beaver's been possessed by a demon, he's been a vengeful spirit; a figment of the brothers' imagination...

The character of Adam was created just so we could watch him get screwed over repeatedly (and to provide a "plan B" for heaven). What's to like about him? He was innocent, yes, but we knew almost nothing about him. And John was a total jerk.

You are absolutely right that Castiel is a hypocrite. He continues to make mistakes because, as we saw in the premiere, he's WAY too trusting. His garrison kept telling him how "human" he kept acting since he met the brothers. You don't have to be sorry that you don't like him. It's your opinion. But he keeps making mistakes just like the Winchesters do. He then feels like crap and doesn't know how to deal with it because his decisions tend to have HUGE ramifications.

libra113

[11]Oct 18, 2013
    Now, while I agree with you assessment of Cas and Bobby (and the actors playing them) I cannot abide with the John bashing. I've never understood this attitude toward John especially when you have Sam (perhaps his biggest critic) finally admitting that John did the best he could with the situation he was given.

If not for the upbringing John gave Sam and Dean as children they wouldn't be the men they are now. That has bad sides of course but he also put a lot of good stuff in there too. Everything they are, good and bad, springs from him.

As for Adam he has potential. At first he seemed like a silly idea but then the whole Plan B thing (which wasn't really a plan but a trap) gave him a bit more meaning. What's bad, right now, is that everyone seems to have totally forgotten him and I would like to see him come back as an enemy to Sam and Dean. Someone who is human but totally f'ed up by his time in the cage and out for their blood.

sunfiretakesit

[12]Nov 20, 2013
    • level: 2
    By reducing his powers to nil helped to make him more interesting...and humble! Still, I hope they do return him to strength eventually!

libra113

[13]Nov 23, 2013

sunfiretakesit wrote:
    By reducing his powers to nil helped to make him more interesting...and humble! Still, I hope they do return him to strength eventually!
    I think Cas works better when he has some power but not all of it. Like he was in season five when he could do some things but couldn't do others.

He also seemed surprising capable when he, Bobby and Sam stormed that warehouse to try and stop the Croatian Virus being released. Seem to recall him even elbowing a guy and knocking him out.

hamstrman

[14]Dec 4, 2013

libra113 wrote:
    Now, while I agree with you assessment of Cas and Bobby (and the actors playing them) I cannot abide with the John bashing. I've never understood this attitude toward John especially when you have Sam (perhaps his biggest critic) finally admitting that John did the best he could with the situation he was given. If not for the upbringing John gave Sam and Dean as children they wouldn't be the men they are now. That has bad sides of course but he also put a lot of good stuff in there too. Everything they are, good and bad, springs from him. As for Adam he has potential. At first he seemed like a silly idea but then the whole Plan B thing (which wasn't really a plan but a trap) gave him a bit more meaning. What's bad, right now, is that everyone seems to have totally forgotten him and I would like to see him come back as an enemy to Sam and Dean. Someone who is human but totally f'ed up by his time in the cage and out for their blood.

libra113,

We've always been in agreement on everything (not that we have to be). I stand by my John bashing. I read an review by one of the writers on TV.com recently - I think it was with respect to "Bad Boys." And how the way Dean defends John is classic abuse victim behavior. Having a couple of friends who act like that and, to a point, so do I, you can't help but love your father, but it doesn't make him less abusive.

Of course they wouldn't be who they are today without John's presence in their life. They'd be different. Saved fewer lives? Not become hunters? Happier? More well adjusted? Probably all true. But I still find it indefensible. He was a loner who happened to have kids and wanted them to keep being alive. But he wasn't a father. It reminds me of The Walking Dead (and I don't need to spoil anything) to say you can be a guy armed with weapons, saving a group of people from danger, but that just makes you a soldier, not a father, not a leader. So, what, should I agree that he tried his best given he was demon hunting all the time? OK, fine. It's not saying much.

And yes, my John bashing sounds incredibly personal, I know. But you're watching two brothers who are so dysfunctional because they got dragged around, taught to be soldiers, and had no lives (sans Sam's runaway college period). There's no redeeming quality to him during his life. We saw him argue with Bobby in Death's Door all the time about letting them be kids when supervised. His redemption was his sacrificing himself to save Dean and even that left them screwed up because Dean got left with the guilt and the burden of maybe having to kill Sam. Sam got left knowing that.

John post-Mary was a bastard.

libra113

[15]Jan 12, 2014

But what was the alternative? If he had kept them sheltered then when something DID happen to him they would be sitting ducks. You've also gotta figure that he worked out that whatever killed Mary had designs on Sam as well and that the best way to keep Sam safe was to keep him moving around, train him as he grew up and teach Dean to protect him.

In the world they live in it would have been more of a disservice to Sam and Dean NOT to teach them how to defend themselves and how to make it on their own than doing so.

Sci-FiLover22

[16]Feb 6, 2014
    libra113 wrote:
    You do realize that Sam and Dean ALSO make the same mistakes over and over again, right? How many times have they made deals with or allied themselves with some higher power only to have it bite them in their asses? How many times do they make the choice to lie to each other and hide information from each other (hell, Dean is doing it again right now)?

At very least Cas has the excuse of still being kind of new to this whole free will thing and still learning how our world works. What's their excuse?

i know sam and dean makes the same decision over and over.

the thing thats makes sam and dean different from castiel.castiel is a angel.he should know better and not to mention when castiel does something wrong he dont wanna talk about it he act like it never happen.thats very annoying.

when sam and dean do something wrong they talk about it and try not to let it happen again.and
    last time i check sam and dean was brothers.so of course their gonna keep saving eachother.whats castiel excuse?castiel dont ahve an excuse.

its strange how castiel being in the world for a very long time now and yet still dont get it.

i just dont like castiel and dont plan to try to like him.

Sci-FiLover22

[17]Feb 6, 2014
    hamstrman wrote:

Sci-FiLover22 wrote:

MatthewRaiche wrote:

Obviously my post is purely subjective, but just seeing the statements that you always disliked Bobby and Castiel (which is objectively fine) and LIKED, for example, John and Adam (yikes!) puts things in perspective as to whom I'm responding. You're saying the less you see of a character, the more you like them? That's to say the less developed they are, the less we learn about them, their mistakes, their redemption, their regular interactions with other characters makes them better? That seems backwards to me.

I think Misha Collins has played so many different character types and that's great to see how well he pulls them off. From dead-faced follower of heaven; his mopey attitude over rebelling against heaven; his confusion over trying to fit in as human; glimpses of actually displaying humanity in his relationship with Dean; his aggravation over fighting the war in heaven; his crazy havoc attitude when he had the Leviathans in him (albeit brief, I loved it - "This is gonna be fun!"); his broken, insane personality after he takes on Sam's affliction; and now his curious human experience. They're all so different!

And Jim Beaver's been possessed by a demon, he's been a vengeful spirit; a figment of the brothers' imagination...

The character of Adam was created just so we could watch him get screwed over repeatedly (and to provide a "plan B" for heaven). What's to like about him? He was innocent, yes, but we knew almost nothing about him. And John was a total jerk.

You are absolutely right that Castiel is a hypocrite. He continues to make mistakes because, as we saw in the premiere, he's WAY too trusting. His garrison kept telling him how "human" he kept acting since he met the brothers. You don't have to be sorry that you don't like him. It's your opinion. But he keeps making mistakes just like the Winchesters do. He then feels like crap and doesn't know how to deal with it because his decisions tend to have HUGE ramifications.

i dont know where to start.

you get why i dislike castiel.his a hypocrite to ofetn for my liking..i can understand once or twice but over and over.his a angel.he should know better.and like i said to libra.sam and dean are brothers so of course they will save eachother over and over.so why do castiel do what he do when he know it may not be good choice.long as castiel beeen seeing the world and stuff it seems he would get the hang of it but his going nowhere but in circles.

far as bobby.it wasnt that i didnt like him.he was a cool character i just dislike a charater trait he had.it seem to me bobby was always trying to replace john as the brothers father.it was just strange.it really annoyed me over the years.over than that bobby is fine.its just when it begans to get personal that bobby tends to get on my nerves and try nad be the borthers father.

far as adam.the reason i liked him was because we saw what dean and sam life could have been.they could have had a normal life like adam if all that stuff with their mom didnt happen.the point is i didnt start to really like adam until i relize that his borthers sam and dean have no plans of getting him out.so to just think his in a cage fighting everyday and his two older brothers arent doing anything.thats makes me like adam.sam and dean saved eachohter over and over because they are brothers but yet they dont save adam.that just makes adam more likeble to me.

and john of course i like john.he took care of his sons.and taught them how to potect themselves.i dont understand why someone wouldnt like him.

Sci-FiLover22

[18]Feb 6, 2014

sorry 4 spelling most ppl on sn forums no my spelling just sucks so bad.

anyhow i used to have an old account but i lost the password and had to get a new one.my old one was jack 75 something else.i cant remember.

anyhow me and libra never agree on anythingabout supernatural

i mean its nice because you get to hear other view points from your own.

i just think me and libra see the show so differently.

but everyone on this forums know i enjoy coming here, i just dont do it alot.

i felt like i needed to write this so no one would think i was trying to mean with my other two posts i just wrote.

WickedNix

[19]Feb 9, 2014
    • level: 4

I agree that lately Cas had been at a disadvantage since he had to learnhowit really felt coping as a lowly human.

I think he learned quickly and adjusted pretty well all things considered (working at diner, etc.) But, now that he has a bit of power back they should be giving him a meatier role in the eppys. But when he can't figure out why his vehicle ceased operating (ran out of gas) that makes me want to bang my head against the wall. Is it really necessary to make him appear totally clueless? There's a difference between being stupid and adoringly innocent. He's spent enough time in the car with the boys in the past seasons to have picked up a few basic details. Give me a break writers.

At least having Crowley for a few eppys was a welcomed breath of fresh air. Was kind of disappointed that he couldn't stick around a bit longer.

I was disappointed in last week's eppy (the fat-suckers) other than it showing that Dean was all too ready to kill the remaining fat-sucker.

He finally gave in to Sam's request to give her a 1-way ticket back to her country of origin. Now, they are back to deciding whichdemons, monsters get to live and which have to die? Apparently, they haven't resolved that issue between them.

My main question is with these angel factionsbusy fighting each other, Castiel being at low power, what in the Hades is Metatron up to? I know he wants to be the new main man in charge, and offered Cas a spot as his second, but is that plan changing? Or has it been dumped? The plot lines seem so fragmented that I can't make heads or tails out of them. Or I could just be dense. Undecided

libra113

[20]Feb 20, 2014

Sci-FiLover22 wrote:
    libra113 wrote:
    You do realize that Sam and Dean ALSO make the same mistakes over and over again, right? How many times have they made deals with or allied themselves with some higher power only to have it bite them in their asses? How many times do they make the choice to lie to each other and hide information from each other (hell, Dean is doing it again right now)? At very least Cas has the excuse of still being kind of new to this whole free will thing and still learning how our world works. What's their excuse?
    i know sam and dean makes the same decision over and over. the thing thats makes sam and dean different from castiel.castiel is a angel.he should know better and not to mention when castiel does something wrong he dont wanna talk about it he act like it never happen.thats very annoying. when sam and dean do something wrong they talk about it and try not to let it happen again.and last time i check sam and dean was brothers.so of course their gonna keep saving eachother.whats castiel excuse?castiel dont ahve an excuse. its strange how castiel being in the world for a very long time now and yet still dont get it. i just dont like castiel and dont plan to try to like him.
    Well, Cas doesn't know better because angels don't normally have free will and the whole thing about making choices and figuring out how to make choices is a whole new concept for him. He's learning but it's not easy. Yeah, Sam and Dean talk about their mistakes but only after months of hiding their bad choices. As for not letting it happen again their track record in that regard is not great. Doesn't need an excuse but I would say the first time he messed up he was trying to prevent the whole Michael/Lucifer thing from starting up again and wanted to keep Dean (who at the time was playing house with Lisa) out of it (and Dean was a jerk for not listening and understanding while I'm on the subject). The second time he trusted the wrong angel to try and clean up his own mess and now he's just trying to make amends. Our world is very complex and Cas is still trying to work it all out. Some things he's picked up and some things he's still learning. It would be pretty hard to swallow if he just knew it all at once.