Supernatural Forums

Tuesday 9:00 PM on The CWBetween Seasons

What is to stop there from a Supernatural film being made?

  • Avatar of groovydeadite78

    groovydeadite78

    [1]May 11, 2012
    • member since: 03/17/08
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 16

    It was done fairly well for the X-Files, and I think Supernatural would be able to blend rather well to the big screen. I understand that it's audience isn't huge, but I think that has more to do with the channel that it is on, and the fact that it gets lumped in unfairly with the rest of the CW shows as a chick show, which couldn't be farther from the truth. There have been numerous movies that have blended a number of monsters into one flick with varied levels of success, but I don't think any do it nearly as seamlessly as Supernatural. Also, I think they could get a number of movies with self contained story arcs, as this show lends itself very well to self contained episodes to go along with the season long story arcs.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of libra113

    libra113

    [2]May 11, 2012
    • member since: 10/04/05
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 24,385

    groovydeadite78 wrote:


    It was done fairly well for the X-Files, and I think Supernatural would be able to blend rather well to the big screen. I understand that it's audience isn't huge, but I think that has more to do with the channel that it is on, and the fact that it gets lumped in unfairly with the rest of the CW shows as a chick show, which couldn't be farther from the truth. There have been numerous movies that have blended a number of monsters into one flick with varied levels of success, but I don't think any do it nearly as seamlessly as Supernatural. Also, I think they could get a number of movies with self contained story arcs, as this show lends itself very well to self contained episodes to go along with the season long story arcs.


    Time, money and an audience. "Supernatural" has been hanging around the cancellation level for most of it's life and while the numbers are strong enough for the CW I don't know if they're strong enough for a multi-million dollar motion picture. The only reason the "X-Files" got made into a movie wasbecause, at that point, it was a world widephenomenonthat was raking in tons through rating, licencing items, etc...


    Maybe if "Supernatural" ever reaches that point or they figure out a way to make it good without spending a fortune so the stakes are much lower it will happen but I don't expect it to happen anytime too soon.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of tvtome_xena321

    tvtome_xena321

    [3]May 18, 2012
    • member since: 04/24/05
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 2,526
    I think it comes down to money and time. X-Files and Firefly were lucky to get movies, then again X-Files wasn't aired on a small network like CW or WB, so the ratings and money were much higher, but times have changed, and the economy is much harder. I really doubt we will see a Supernatural movie, but I wont rule out a comic book continuing the series.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of smegmag

    smegmag

    [4]May 18, 2012
    • member since: 10/16/10
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 162
    libra113 wrote:

    groovydeadite78 wrote:


    It was done fairly well for the X-Files, and I think Supernatural would be able to blend rather well to the big screen. I understand that it's audience isn't huge, but I think that has more to do with the channel that it is on, and the fact that it gets lumped in unfairly with the rest of the CW shows as a chick show, which couldn't be farther from the truth. There have been numerous movies that have blended a number of monsters into one flick with varied levels of success, but I don't think any do it nearly as seamlessly as Supernatural. Also, I think they could get a number of movies with self contained story arcs, as this show lends itself very well to self contained episodes to go along with the season long story arcs.


    Time, money and an audience. "Supernatural" has been hanging around the cancellation level for most of it's life and while the numbers are strong enough for the CW I don't know if they're strong enough for a multi-million dollar motion picture. The only reason the "X-Files" got made into a movie wasbecause, at that point, it was a world widephenomenonthat was raking in tons through rating, licencing items, etc...


    Maybe if "Supernatural" ever reaches that point or they figure out a way to make it good without spending a fortune so the stakes are much lower it will happen but I don't expect it to happen anytime too soon.



    I agree its unlikely, but they do have an audience. The tv ratings focus on the advertisers key demographic, but theaters don't care how old the person who plops down the admission money--and teenagers and fan(atics) will plop down that money again and again, if the product is at all worthy. These are the people keeping the DVD sales disproportionately high. Plus the ratings dont directly capture the overseas market and they do have an audience there. If this show wasnt a low budget cash cow, it would have been gone, gone, gone before now.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of libra113

    libra113

    [5]May 18, 2012
    • member since: 10/04/05
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 24,385

    smegmag wrote:
    libra113 wrote:


    groovydeadite78 wrote:


    It was done fairly well for the X-Files, and I think Supernatural would be able to blend rather well to the big screen. I understand that it's audience isn't huge, but I think that has more to do with the channel that it is on, and the fact that it gets lumped in unfairly with the rest of the CW shows as a chick show, which couldn't be farther from the truth. There have been numerous movies that have blended a number of monsters into one flick with varied levels of success, but I don't think any do it nearly as seamlessly as Supernatural. Also, I think they could get a number of movies with self contained story arcs, as this show lends itself very well to self contained episodes to go along with the season long story arcs.


    Time, money and an audience. "Supernatural" has been hanging around the cancellation level for most of it's life and while the numbers are strong enough for the CW I don't know if they're strong enough for a multi-million dollar motion picture. The only reason the "X-Files" got made into a movie wasbecause, at that point, it was a world widephenomenonthat was raking in tons through rating, licencing items, etc...


    Maybe if "Supernatural" ever reaches that point or they figure out a way to make it good without spending a fortune so the stakes are much lower it will happen but I don't expect it to happen anytime too soon.


    I agree its unlikely, but they do have an audience. The tv ratings focus on the advertisers key demographic, but theaters don't care how old the person who plops down the admission money--and teenagers and fan(atics) will plop down that money again and again, if the product is at all worthy. These are the people keeping the DVD sales disproportionately high. Plus the ratings dont directly capture the overseas market and they do have an audience there. If this show wasnt a low budget cash cow, it would have been gone, gone, gone before now.
    I guess it's possible but I would bet they would wait until the show is over and wait a bit until they can come up with something really good. You're doing a movie you have to step up your game and not just do what you do on TV. It would have to be something REALLY major that can be cleanly resolved in therun timeallowed (roughly an hour and half these days).

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.