Supernatural Forums

Wednesday 9:00 PM on The CWBetween Seasons

WHEN did Castiel become your favorite character?

When did Castiel become your favorite character?

Mickis

[1]May 18, 2010
    • level: 4

Yeah, for those of you who consider Castiel a favorite character of the show... can you pinpoint when this happened? In what episode did you realize you cared more about him than you did your previous fav character?

I've liked Cas from the beginning. But more like, yeah, he's okay. Entertaining enough and complex and all. But all the way from the first episode with the Lady in White, Dean was a clear favorite. No doubts about it. He had no competition in Sam, for me. And when Cas came on in season 4, he was a nice addition to the show, but no threat to Dean. .....Or so I thought.

When I was watching the finale Swan Song, I realized that pretty much everything was OK in my book, as long as Castiel came out alive. I was like. Fine, send Sam to Hell, kill off Bobby, whatever. Just leave Cas alone! Turning him human felt like a way for the writers to weaken him so they could kill him off, and I was seriously worried about that the whole week before the episode actually aired. When he entered the scene where Dean confronts Lucifer and Michael, my stomach completely twisted, and I was like. Okay, this is it. He's gonna die. And then when he exploaded, I was totally in denial. Going to myself, OK so he died. But the episode ain't over. He could still come back to life. My sister was like... "Uh... he freaking exploaded!" Yeah, but he's done that before. There's still hope. And well, I was right.

But even now, that he's "new and improved" I still fear he might not be in the next season. Which is not a good thing, I would say. Anyway, I realized that somewhere along the road, he became a clear favorite of mine, even surpassing Dean. I hadn't really noticed. I mean, I know I liked Cas. The episodes he weren't in, I was like. Okay, that's fine and all, but where's Cas?

So it got me thinking. WHEN did he become a favorite character for me? I went through the episode guide for this season, and I think I can sorta pin point the moment where I just cared more about him than I did any of the other characters.

In the episode 99 problems, at the end where Sam and Dean are carrying a wounded Cas and that Priest into the back of the impala, I got worried for him. Like, when Dean drove off and basically confirmed to the fans that he had given up and was gonna say yes, I was like. But what about Cas? How's he doing? That Whore chick did something to him and now he's unconscious? Is he okay? Throughout that whole episode, I just felt really bad for him, because it felt like rock bottom. Like the moment where he called himself a bad example of an angel. You could really feel his pain. So, here I definately cared more for him than I did Dean.

Which means, it must have happed before that epsiode. And I think it was in Dark Side of the Moon.

Castiel didn't have a major role in that one. He sometimes appeared through like a radio or a TV set. Didn't think much about that. But then at the end, I knew the whole "God doesn't think it's his problem" was gonna break his heart, and when he found out and it did. Wow. I think that was it for me. That was THE moment he became no. 1. He was like, maybe Joshua lied? The character just fell apart and that did it for me.

Now I wanna hear when you guys had your AHA moment, (those of you who consider him your favorite character).

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

libra113

[2]May 18, 2010
    • level: 27
    For me it was moment he walked into that barn and just shrugged off everything Dean and Bobby threw his way. That and I saw his John Constintine inspired clothing.

SohiHien

[3]May 18, 2010
    • level: 8
    I agree Libra the first moment he showed up in the first ep of season 4 I loved him. I was also thinking the same things as you Mickis "Sam can go to hell and bobby can die but Cas has to live!!" I was even hugging my little Castiel doll the whole episode and when he exploded I was so pissed I almost wanted to turn the tv off, I was thinking "I'm so done with this show!!" but then he came back and I settled down I too was a huge Dean girl until Cas came into the show and then Dean became second to the amazingness that is Castiel

libra113

[4]May 18, 2010
    SohiHien wrote:
    I agree Libra the first moment he showed up in the first ep of season 4 I loved him. I was also thinking the same things as you Mickis "Sam can go to hell and bobby can die but Cas has to live!!" I was even hugging my little Castiel doll the whole episode and when he exploded I was so pissed I almost wanted to turn the tv off, I was thinking "I'm so done with this show!!" but then he came back and I settled down I too was a huge Dean girl until Cas came into the show and then Dean became second to the amazingness that is Castiel
    You have a Cas doll? I didn't know they made thoes.

Mickis

[5]May 18, 2010

So you guys fell instantly for the coolness that is Cas? Me, I guess I'm a late bloomer, then. But hey, it wasn't that I didn't like him, I just liked Dean more.

But yeah, that changed. I remember the scene where Cas was like "I rebelled for you!!" and was beating the crap out of Dean, and me I sat there. 'Eh, he had it coming.' I was practially cheering him on for putting Dean in his place. Like a year ago, I would not have felt the same way watching that scene. So yeah, used to be a Dean girl, but obviously not anymore.

Haha. Love your line about "Sam can go to hell!" I mean, in Supernatural, this is litterally. If one didn't know that... Haha. Sam can go to hell!

8ie7

[6]May 18, 2010
    • level: 6

I think he beame my favorite in "Lucifer Rising", when he rebeled and sent Dean to stop Sam.

LordSothe

[7]May 18, 2010
    • level: 5

Much as I like Castiel, he's definitely not my favorite character.

cherry_brandy

[8]May 19, 2010
    • level: 9
    I adored him from the second he walked in that room. He had this incredible aura of intense power but also seemed to convey an innocence and vulnerability. And yeah he just oozed cool - however he isn't my fave - I don't really have a fave. I've always been a bi-bro fan anyway - can't be doing with the Sam versus Dean crap but I also think Bobby is a vital part of the show. I'm not sure how Cas is going to fit in next season but if they find a way then great, but I don't think it will be tragic if he isn't around. Much as I love the character if he doesn't fit into the story then it would seem a bit stupid and pointless to have him showing up randomly and eventually I think it could destroy the character, making him a parody of his former awesome self.

alyssa01

[9]May 19, 2010
    • level: 15
    I loved Cas the second he entered the show but the time he became my favorite was when he layed into Dean in the second episode of the 5th season 'I pulled you out of hell and I can throw you back in'

I have always loved Dean so much it's not healthy but when that happened I was just relieved that Deans fake-lightheartedness wasn't going to fool this guy, he wouldn't take any crap from our dean and so had more of a chance of getting him to actually do something as apposed to falling into the same pit of depression he is acustomed to. Since then I have truly believed that Deans mind wouldn't have survived returning from hell, remembering everything he did down there and dealing with Sam the demon-blood junkie if it weren't for Castiel. He was Deans rock.

For that I loved Cas even more than I loved Dean. Cos Castiel rules all, including Dean

SohiHien

[10]May 19, 2010

libra113 wrote:
    SohiHien wrote:
    As far as I know they don't I made him myself. He's crocheted with a little felt trenchcoat and tie. I held him very tightly during that episode

libra113

[11]May 19, 2010
    SohiHien wrote:

libra113 wrote:
    SohiHien wrote:
    As far as I know they don't I made him myself. He's crocheted with a little felt trenchcoat and tie. I held him very tightly during that episode

Awww that's adorable. Wow, I think I'm losing my edge, excuse me a moment while I regroup.

supering

[12]May 20, 2010
    • level: 20

Favourite character...Favourite character...

I loved Cas from the second I first saw his feet back in Lazarus Rising. He was just so cool! He had this aura about him that was so complexed. He was this mighty, powerful being, who could smite you in a heartbeat, yet he had this innocence to him. He was very much in the know of pretty much everything, yet so naive, curious and confused. And Misha was able to jam all that into just one frame! So that had a lot to do with Misha aswell, especially at first. I don't know how many times I rewatched his scene(s) in the first 3 eps. I saw them over and over and over and just wanted to see more of him. I sometimes just about cheered when he stepped onto the screen. When he was there, he had my attention, and when he wasn't there, things were storming all around Sam and Dean, but "Where is Cas?" Yes, I do love Castiel.

But favourite character? I don't know. In a way, yes, I guess so, absolutely. But at the same time, Supernatural is still about Sam and Dean. This is their story, they're the ones I was watching for before this angel guy ever showed up. Only, lately they have been rather detached. I mean, Sam has been all over the place, I haven't really felt him for a long time. Dean has been falling apart, to a point where it's not entertaining anymore, even from a "Yey, angst!!" perspective. But Cas is good!

In PONR, the end, that's my fave part this season. Sam had just shown Dean he trusts him, and Dean repayed that trust. They were back, finally! Cas was gone, but Sam and Dean were back!! As much as I love Castiel, I cannot get myself to say he's my favourite. It's a tie between top three.

Edited on 05/20/2010 2:04am

libra113

[13]May 20, 2010
    Love that confused head tilt he does when he doesn't understand some refrence Dean or someone makes.

Also love that he didn't get the Delorian refrence or what a Glen Close was "no she's being a Glen Close".

Love it.

SohiHien

[14]May 20, 2010
    libra113 wrote:
    Love that confused head tilt he does when he doesn't understand some refrence Dean or someone makes.

Also love that he didn't get the Delorian refrence or what a Glen Close was "no she's being a Glen Close".

Love it.

I love the head tilt too! Makes him look like a dog thats hearing something weird or a bird. I also love that he probably only understands half of what Dean says to him. It makes me laugh everytime!

krisalfen

[15]May 20, 2010
    • level: 3

When he went "I'm an angel of the lord" and I felt that they really did something new with the show. Or maybe when he's absolutetly clueless, like holding the FBI thing upside down...

libra113

[16]May 20, 2010
    SohiHien wrote:
    libra113 wrote:

Love it.

I love the head tilt too! Makes him look like a dog thats hearing something weird or a bird. I also love that he probably only understands half of what Dean says to him. It makes me laugh everytime!
    Yeah I sometimes imagine him tilting his head and doing that Scooby Do 'huh' noise. Be funny if he did that in an outtake.

Mickis

[17]May 20, 2010

So I guess then what makes Cas such a popular guy - to sum up - his coolness, his powerful "aura", his dashing outfit, his ability to take no crap from Dean, him rebelling against all the other douche angels, his sort of cluelessness to humans and our culture, his trademark head tilt, and for me, personally, I guess it was his vulnerability. He made me empathize with him.

And also, I would have to add, a HUGE part of the reason why I think the character works so well - Misha.

I just don't think anyone else would have been able to pull it off as well as he has. He's given the character so many layers, without revealing much emotion at all, keeping the angelic sense of feel to him. I dunno. I fell like his eyes do most of the talking, where his voice is always sort of monotone and down to business. Hmm... Yeaah.

Haha. So far, I'm the only one who chose the "second half of the 5th season" option. I must be retarded or something. Everyone else seemed to catch on immediately. Pretty much all of you chose the 4th season. Yah. I guess I'm a little slow.

libra113

[18]May 20, 2010
    I watched the finale again today (gets better each time) and I have to say my two favorite funny parts are when he's alseep in the back of the Impala and when he's lying to Sam to make him feel better.

Well, thoes and the part where Lucifer confronts him about burning Micheal and his reaction and the part where he comes back, heals Dean and brings Bobby back (the last part is less funny than cool).

Next time I wear my Cas t-shirt I will do it with a little extra measure of pride.

PS- I just read an awful thing on here that they're moving "Supernatural" to Friday this fall. What!?

SohiHien

[19]May 21, 2010
    libra113 wrote:
    I watched the finale again today (gets better each time) and I have to say my two favorite funny parts are when he's alseep in the back of the Impala and when he's lying to Sam to make him feel better.

Well, thoes and the part where Lucifer confronts him about burning Micheal and his reaction and the part where he comes back, heals Dean and brings Bobby back (the last part is less funny than cool).

Next time I wear my Cas t-shirt I will do it with a little extra measure of pride.

PS- I just read an awful thing on here that they're moving "Supernatural" to Friday this fall. What!?

yeah I'm a fan on facebook and I got a message from them about supernatual starting back this fall on Friday so that is true. Yeah I loved the snoring in the backseat part too it was cute. The only thing I wish was that Cas and Dean had a nicer goodbye that wasn't them having a bit of a fight, like a happy goodbye, not like that would ever happen on this show haha,

libra113

[20]May 21, 2010
    SohiHien wrote:
    libra113 wrote:

yeah I'm a fan on facebook and I got a message from them about supernatual starting back this fall on Friday so that is true. Yeah I loved the snoring in the backseat part too it was cute. The only thing I wish was that Cas and Dean had a nicer goodbye that wasn't them having a bit of a fight, like a happy goodbye, not like that would ever happen on this show haha,
    No, that's not in the nature of the show. In "Supernatural" good byes are either a fight or someone dies.

Still, I'm hoping he will return next season to deal with 'how did Sam get out of Hell thing' and what the fallout of that might be.