Supernatural Forums

Tuesday 9:00 PM on The CWIn Season

Which female character should not have died?

Which female character should not have died?

dpebbleson

[21]Mar 16, 2011
    • level: 23
    libra113 wrote:

So far as I can tell the only thing keeping Bobby and Cas alive is overwealming popularity.

And with their ways of shocking us, who knows if that holds for much longer...

I'll utter a blasphemy and say that while Castiel is a sympathetic character, and well played, I really don't see much of a point of him being part of the story. Or at least being the regular member of the cast. I really don't hate him, or want him out, I just think he isn't that necessary.

That might change, of course, if we find something crucial in season finale or something, linking him to the overall story.

My five cents, don't get angry, Castiel-fans.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

libra113

[22]Mar 16, 2011
    • level: 27
    Okay I won't. However, I will say it's not like he's in it a whole lot (since he's fighting the war in Heaven) but I'm sure all the various elements interlink and when they all dovetail then Cas will be needed for his part of the story.

At least they're not having him show up for no reason or anything.

tvtome_xena321

[23]Mar 17, 2011
    libra113 wrote:
    Well, I was a bit confused about how Ellen just vanished and they didn't mention her (and more than a bit irritated at her getting mad that Sam and Dean didn't call her but apprently she did't call them either ), not sure why unless they just couldn't figure out how to drop it into the stories without it seeming forced.

They probaly just didn't know how to write it into the scripts of episodes without it being forced your right. But I always just assume the writers strike was an issue with regards to her return, she was set to return if it wasn't for the strike.
    :
    I suspect they had Ellen and Jo back and killed them off becasue if they just never showed up again it would be considered a loose end. I think that's why they kill off so many other characters as well. They don't want to just send them off into the world and not show or mention them again so just kill them off. Also, there's that whole thing they've talked about for years now about how everyone knows Sam and Dean can't die (at lest not really) so they have to take it out on the other characters.

True, but I am not a fan of characters coming back only to die, I find it rather lazy as if they just dont know what to do with them, and killing them off just so fans can stop asking where they are. No offence, but thats one thing I've always disliked about the series, there isn't enough characters who actually last long enough, its why I've given up trying to like any new character who enters. I'm just going to focus my attention on the main four.
    :
    So far as I can tell the only thing keeping Bobby and Cas alive is overwealming popularity.

Thats true but to be honest, also they allowed the fans to get to know them, I'm sure if the writers stuck to there plans and didn't worry about the fans, Jo and Bela for instance could of still been with us and fans could of eventually gotten to like/know them more.

libra113

[24]Mar 17, 2011
    tvtome_xena321 wrote:
    libra113 wrote:
    Well, I was a bit confused about how Ellen just vanished and they didn't mention her (and more than a bit irritated at her getting mad that Sam and Dean didn't call her but apprently she did't call them either ), not sure why unless they just couldn't figure out how to drop it into the stories without it seeming forced.

They probaly just didn't know how to write it into the scripts of episodes without it being forced your right. But I always just assume the writers strike was an issue with regards to her return, she was set to return if it wasn't for the strike.
    :
    I suspect they had Ellen and Jo back and killed them off becasue if they just never showed up again it would be considered a loose end. I think that's why they kill off so many other characters as well. They don't want to just send them off into the world and not show or mention them again so just kill them off. Also, there's that whole thing they've talked about for years now about how everyone knows Sam and Dean can't die (at lest not really) so they have to take it out on the other characters.

True, but I am not a fan of characters coming back only to die, I find it rather lazy as if they just dont know what to do with them, and killing them off just so fans can stop asking where they are. No offence, but thats one thing I've always disliked about the series, there isn't enough characters who actually last long enough, its why I've given up trying to like any new character who enters. I'm just going to focus my attention on the main four.
    :

Thats true but to be honest, also they allowed the fans to get to know them, I'm sure if the writers stuck to there plans and didn't worry about the fans, Jo and Bela for instance could of still been with us and fans could of eventually gotten to like/know them more.
    Yeah I heard she was going to come back but the writer's strike stopped it. Still doesn't mean that she couldn't keep in touch with the gang by phone (done off screen they don't even need the actress to come in) or have Bobby mention her and Jo taking this job or that job.

One of the oppertiunities I feel they REALLY dropped the ball on was in just letting the characters exsist off screen. One of the things they said was that they started the whole war thing then realized that they couldn't afford to do it in a massive way, well you got a bunch of characters who are out there somewhere. Let them fight the major wars while Sam and Dean handly the key battles. Let Ellen, Jo, Tamera, Rufus, etc... report to Bobby and visa versa and use them to tell Sam and Dean (and us) what's going on in the world at large. It's a prefect way to, as the old saying goes, kill two birds with one stone. Still, the structure of the show allows very little in the way exploring the world beyond Sam and Dean's own's area of experiance so's the nature of the beast.

Yeah, I didn't like Jo and Ellen and much up until they died but seeing the other side of it with Bela I can say the worst mistake they made was in cowtowing so easily to the vocal fanbase and letting them deturmine the course of the show instead of staying on their planned path.

Edward_Nigma

[25]Mar 17, 2011
    • level: 54
    Ellen definitely...but wow Bella is winning?! Honestly she was only an okay character, I only liked her cuz she was really frickin hot and had an amazing accent.

libra113

[26]Mar 17, 2011
    Edward_Nigma wrote:
    Ellen definitely...but wow Bella is winning?! Honestly she was only an okay character, I only liked her cuz she was really frickin hot and had an amazing accent.
    Well, I think it's more about the potiental she had than about what we saw already. They could certainly use someone with her connections and possibly hidden items right about now.

tvtome_xena321

[27]Mar 19, 2011
    libra113 wrote:
    tvtome_xena321 wrote:
    libra113 wrote:

:

:

Yeah I heard she was going to come back but the writer's strike stopped it. Still doesn't mean that she couldn't keep in touch with the gang by phone (done off screen they don't even need the actress to come in) or have Bobby mention her and Jo taking this job or that job.

One of the oppertiunities I feel they REALLY dropped the ball on was in just letting the characters exsist off screen. One of the things they said was that they started the whole war thing then realized that they couldn't afford to do it in a massive way, well you got a bunch of characters who are out there somewhere. Let them fight the major wars while Sam and Dean handly the key battles. Let Ellen, Jo, Tamera, Rufus, etc... report to Bobby and visa versa and use them to tell Sam and Dean (and us) what's going on in the world at large. It's a prefect way to, as the old saying goes, kill two birds with one stone. Still, the structure of the show allows very little in the way exploring the world beyond Sam and Dean's own's area of experiance so's the nature of the beast.

Yeah, I didn't like Jo and Ellen and much up until they died but seeing the other side of it with Bela I can say the worst mistake they made was in cowtowing so easily to the vocal fanbase and letting them deturmine the course of the show instead of staying on their planned path.

Thast true they could of had a random mention of Ellen or Jo keeping tabs on the boys/bobby, that they are out there somewhere and true they could of done that but I guess missed oppotunities. I actually liked Ellen and Jo to be honest, I enjoyed there characters, so I was pretty upset they died,, just It annoyed me they had to die after a 2 year absence.
    libra113 wrote:
    Edward_Nigma wrote:
    Well, I think it's more about the potiental she had than about what we saw already. They could certainly use someone with her connections and possibly hidden items right about now.

True she had heaps of potenial, and its a shame. Also I never understood why they got rid of Katie Cassidy, I dont believe it had to do with budget, if they could of afford to have Misha and make him a regular, then whats the deal with Katie. I never liked Ruby 2.

libra113

[28]Mar 19, 2011
    I dunno they claimed that botht he original Ruby and Bela got the boot for money reasons but I never bought it either (especially with Bela since she had such a hate squad on her back at the time). Never really thought about it in comparison with Cas but I guess a certain level of popularity negates money issues.

I seem to recall "Babalyon Five" had a massive war storyline running in it's five season plan and they changed leads somewhere in there but instead of killing the original station captain they sent him to one of the key worlds and used refrences to him and his actions to fill us in on parts of the war they couldn't afford to show.

They even had him come back later on and play a key role. "Supernatural" COULD have done that but they didn't. Not sure why.

tvtome_xena321

[29]Mar 20, 2011
    libra113 wrote:
    I dunno they claimed that botht he original Ruby and Bela got the boot for money reasons but I never bought it either (especially with Bela since she had such a hate squad on her back at the time). Never really thought about it in comparison with Cas but I guess a certain level of popularity negates money issues.

I seem to recall "Babalyon Five" had a massive war storyline running in it's five season plan and they changed leads somewhere in there but instead of killing the original station captain they sent him to one of the key worlds and used refrences to him and his actions to fill us in on parts of the war they couldn't afford to show.

They even had him come back later on and play a key role. "Supernatural" COULD have done that but they didn't. Not sure why.

I think it was fan hate for Bela, which is a pitty. I think it was popularity being the key factor over money issues. Yeah they could of done that with Supernatural couldn't they oh well. I guess thats the beauty of fan fiction right, when the show is over, maybe fans will do a complete alternate take on the series, and use characters to there full potenial, I know I'd love to read it. But to be honest I think its too late in the game to try and bring in any new females, who can service a long standing role of survival and fit in well. They kinda lost out when they killed off Bela, Ellen, Jo etc. but I suppose Missori can return, if she does, I'd like her to at least survive, so theres one female character who can at least survive the series.

RachelleMcAdams

[30]Mar 20, 2011
    • level: 11

tvtome_xena321 wrote:
    libra113 wrote:
    I dunno they claimed that botht he original Ruby and Bela got the boot for money reasons but I never bought it either (especially with Bela since she had such a hate squad on her back at the time). Never really thought about it in comparison with Cas but I guess a certain level of popularity negates money issues. I seem to recall "Babalyon Five" had a massive war storyline running in it's five season plan and they changed leads somewhere in there but instead of killing the original station captain they sent him to one of the key worlds and used refrences to him and his actions to fill us in on parts of the war they couldn't afford to show. They even had him come back later on and play a key role. "Supernatural" COULD have done that but they didn't. Not sure why.
    I think it was fan hate for Bela, which is a pitty. I think it was popularity being the key factor over money issues. Yeah they could of done that with Supernatural couldn't they oh well. I guess thats the beauty of fan fiction right, when the show is over, maybe fans will do a complete alternate take on the series, and use characters to there full potenial, I know I'd love to read it. But to be honest I think its too late in the game to try and bring in any new females, who can service a long standing role of survival and fit in well. They kinda lost out when they killed off Bela, Ellen, Jo etc. but I suppose Missori can return, if she does, I'd like her to at least survive, so theres one female character who can at least survive the series.

In SPN universe it's a male dominatedworld but females are still powerful a greatexample of thatbeing Lillith

So far the 5 female hunters we seen have been killed off brutally so I think recurring characters are just waste when they will just end up killing them off

Edited on 03/20/2011 11:29am

libra113

[31]Mar 20, 2011
    tvtome_xena321 wrote:
    libra113 wrote:

Well, I started one a long time ago where Cas brings Bela back out of Hell to help Dean on a job becasue her special skills and information were required but it invovled Sirens and when they did their Siren episode it kinda blew the idea out of the water so I had to go back to the drawing board but never got around to finishing it.

I also had a season three story where they had to get Bela's help to infiltrate a black market auction for artifacts related to high profile crimes to get back and destroy a bracelet made by one of the Benders out of a vic's hair and bone becasue the vic's spirit was tied to and was killing everyone who came into contact with it. That one didn't get off the ground sadly.

rugbychick1

[32]Mar 22, 2011
    • level: 1

Pamala I really lked her. she was sassy and Smart. Didn't really like Bella. I found her accent really annoyinganbd I'm from the UK. Jo and Ellen were great but I found thier deaths really added to the story.

libra113

[33]Mar 22, 2011
    I really wish they had allowed Pamela to get rid of that chip on her shoulder about angels and Cas. It was kinda all her fault and it's not like Cas burned her eyes out on purpose or anything so it would have been nice if she could have made peace with him.

dpebbleson

[34]Mar 23, 2011
    libra113 wrote:
    I really wish they had allowed Pamela to get rid of that chip on her shoulder about angels and Cas. It was kinda all her fault and it's not like Cas burned her eyes out on purpose or anything so it would have been nice if she could have made peace with him.

Hmm, I'm not sure people who have lost their eyesight would be so peaceful about it. It's a tragic loss, I understand she is bitter. I know it wasn't his fault, but then again, he could have warned her, or at least went away and came back in bodily form, to avoid the damage.

I mean, people won't forgive if they break a leg because of what someone did, let alone eyes! : )

libra113

[35]Mar 23, 2011
    dpebbleson wrote:
    libra113 wrote:

Hmm, I'm not sure people who have lost their eyesight would be so peaceful about it. It's a tragic loss, I understand she is bitter. I know it wasn't his fault, but then again, he could have warned her, or at least went away and came back in bodily form, to avoid the damage.

I mean, people won't forgive if they break a leg because of what someone did, let alone eyes! : )
    He DID warn her, several times and she wouldn't listen and the ritual she was doing was to FORCE him to show his true form to her. He didn't really have any choice in the matter, that's why he was warning her so hard not to look. She assumed he was evil and was threatening her not to look when he was warning her about the danger. That's what happens when people assume things.

krinks

[36]Mar 23, 2011
    • level: 7

Jo ... by far, Jo. I'm in love with Alona Tal because of this show, and I really loved Jo's character. At least she went out big and not like a helpless princess... *Moment of Silence*

dpebbleson

[37]Mar 23, 2011
    libra113 wrote:
    dpebbleson wrote:
    libra113 wrote:

He DID warn her, several times and she wouldn't listen and the ritual she was doing was to FORCE him to show his true form to her. He didn't really have any choice in the matter, that's why he was warning her so hard not to look. She assumed he was evil and was threatening her not to look when he was warning her about the danger. That's what happens when people assume things.

Yes, that's what happens when people assume things, but still she was blinded, and I can understand the bitterness. Imagine you were blinded by an angel (as incredible as that sounds!). You wouldn't like it. People know that fire is dangerous, and still if they play with it, they get burned, and that doesn't mean they're gonna like the fire. They will naturally stay away from it.

Btw, Castiel could have healed her, as part of making peace with her.

libra113

[38]Mar 23, 2011
    I guess he could have before he cut ties with Heaven but I doubt she would have let him try.

Still, I have to cringe when people say Cas did it like it was an intentional attack. I especially, take issue with it when Dean says it to Cas when he's mad at him and going off on him when of all people I would expect him to understand that it was something Cas couldn't help.

It's very unfair to blame someone for something they can't control.

yutg25

[39]Mar 27, 2011
    • level: 5

dpebbleson wrote:
    libra113 wrote:
    And with their ways of shocking us, who knows if that holds for much longer... I'll utter a blasphemy and say that while Castiel is a sympathetic character, and well played, I really don't see much of a point of him being part of the story. Or at least being the regular member of the cast. I really don't hate him, or want him out, I just think he isn't that necessary. That might change, of course, if we find something crucial in season finale or something, linking him to the overall story. My five cents, don't get angry, Castiel-fans.

I am a big fan of Castiel. In fact part of what made me watch was the angel storyline. Castiel is a great character and I love his interaction with the guys. I don't get tired of seeing the prophet episode or the one where they tried to capture Wrath or the future vision thing with Zack.

I had a supernatural marathon for seasons 2 and 3 during the interim first time I watch it.

You know they can bring Bella back as a demon she's been in hell what 240+ years in hell. People have been warning them of that for years I just think she can come back.

libra113

[40]Mar 27, 2011
    Yeah, but then it won't be the same actress and if it's not the same actress I don't want them to bother. I don't really want to see anyone else playing Bela, it just wouldn't be the same.

However, like I said Balthazar has a lot in common with her and would be fun if he brought her back body and soul for some reason or another.