Supernatural Forums

Wednesday 9:00 PM on The CWBetween Seasons

Which female character should not have died?

Which female character should not have died?

libra113

[61]May 8, 2011
    • level: 27
    Had to be the one who played Ruby since Bella rarely engaged in combat as it was beneith her.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

tvtome_xena321

[62]May 18, 2011
    libra113 wrote:
    Had to be the one who played Ruby since Bella rarely engaged in combat as it was beneith her.

aww thanks I always got confused which one.

libra113

[63]May 18, 2011
    Ruby was the demon and Bella was the human theif who sold her soul to Lilith so that she could get rid of her abusive parents.

basenji529

[64]May 19, 2011
    • level: 15

Bella is more sympathetic, to the point of Anti Villain. Ruby is just The Dark Chick and Sixth Ranger Traitor.

And Lilith is magnificent, the marital status of her parents notwithstanding.

saicr

[65]Jun 7, 2011
    • level: 10

I miss Ellen, she was like a female Bobby.

libra113

[66]Jun 7, 2011
    saicr wrote:

Yeah, when she was well written. When she wasn't she wasn't so much fun to watch.

Seems there was a major learning curve to get her right and by they time they were starting to get the hang of it they killed her instead.

Beecharm3r2

[67]Jun 11, 2011
    • level: 8
    libra113 wrote:
    saicr wrote:

Yeah, when she was well written. When she wasn't she wasn't so much fun to watch.

Seems there was a major learning curve to get her right and by they time they were starting to get the hang of it they killed her instead.

I always liked Ellen but this is how I felt about Jo. I was just starting to like her when she was offed but if I had to choose between the two I'd rather Ellen not die.

libra113

[68]Jun 11, 2011
    I dunno, I think they made two major mistakes with Ellen. (1) Was it was too soon after John's death to try and force in a surrogate parential figure and given their history with their own mother (as in they had none becasue she died when they were so young) it was even more odd to have this woman show up and try to mother them so much. (2) They didn't give Sam and Dean any past with her, so here was this total stranger trying to be a surrogate parent to two grown men who never really had a mother and just lost their father.

I still say they should have, at leat, had Dean remember knowing them. Just becasue he remembered them wouldn't mean he would have known WHY they stopped seeing them or what happended to Ellen's husband so there was really no reason to make them total strangers.

I think the reason Bobby worked so well was that it was clear that Sam and Dean KNEW him and that he was like a member of a family and that perhaps Ellen would have worked better that way.

shopgirl318

[69]Jun 12, 2011
    • level: 7
    I chose Ellen since after that flashback episode with Ellen/Bobby together just made me realized how much I truly missed her. The show should never have killed off Ellen or Jo. Jo was a bit annoying in exit Wounds in season 2 but clearly by season 5 the actress really found her groove and she had grownup alot. I would have loved to see her progress a little more.

tvtome_xena321

[70]Jun 13, 2011
    shopgirl318 wrote:
    I chose Ellen since after that flashback episode with Ellen/Bobby together just made me realized how much I truly missed her. The show should never have killed off Ellen or Jo. Jo was a bit annoying in exit Wounds in season 2 but clearly by season 5 the actress really found her groove and she had grownup alot. I would have loved to see her progress a little more.

Maybe the problem was they didn't show enough of her growth, they had her MIA for two years, yes she had grown up alot, but fans dislike is what drove her away after season 2, and probaly why we didn't get to see her grow, and Ellen got dumped in season 3 because the CW wanted Bela/Ruby, well I read they dumped her as a recurring player in favour of a hot young female.
    Beecharm3r2 wrote:
    libra113 wrote:
    saicr wrote:

I always liked Ellen but this is how I felt about Jo. I was just starting to like her when she was offed but if I had to choose between the two I'd rather Ellen not die.

I agree between the two, I dont know I guess I'd take Ellen. But Jo had alot more to offer, but like a majority of supporting characters, the writers haven't used anyone to there full potenial, expect Bobby and Cas.

libra113

[71]Jun 14, 2011
    The thing I feel the most sorry for the writers of this show about is that some viewers get kind of ticked off if Sam and Dean aren't front and center for most (if not all) of the time.

In that situation it can be kind of hard to feature anyone else and show their charater devlopment and all that since there are only so many minutes in an episode and so many episodes per season.

Difficult balancing act for anyone to be sure.

tvtome_xena321

[72]Jun 15, 2011
    libra113 wrote:
    The thing I feel the most sorry for the writers of this show about is that some viewers get kind of ticked off if Sam and Dean aren't front and center for most (if not all) of the time.

In that situation it can be kind of hard to feature anyone else and show their charater devlopment and all that since there are only so many minutes in an episode and so many episodes per season.

Difficult balancing act for anyone to be sure.

True, I do feel sorry. I suppose its the only thing that I've ever disliked about the show, I admire the fans love of Sam/Dean, but sometimes it goes go too far. But I guess its common in two-regular people shows, like X-Files also. But Xena and Hercules were also two-people shows, and really did wonders with the supporting cast, if not better and really balanced things out. But I guess its true and hard to balance, but maybe its just the series started out with two regulars, and thats how it was presented, had the show been a 4 or 5 cast show from the begining, I'm sure things would of played out alot different.

libra113

[73]Jun 15, 2011
    Yeah, you start adding characters after the first season and some fans will feel like the new characters are 'taking the show away' from Sam and Dean.

The sad fact is: If you want to properly develop charactes it takes screen time and there's only so much screen time so every minute you give to one character has to be taken from another and there are a lot of vocal people who don't like it when the time comes from Sam or Dean.

Hell, it wasn't until this season that Bobby had an episode of his own and it was also this season that Cas got an episode of his own (the only reason Jimmy got an episode to himself before that was becasue the story required it and even then Jimmy's parts were short flashbacks).

It's too bad they didn't see the need sooner so they could have had a large group of characters from the start but they made their choices and now they're stuck with them for better or worse.

tvtome_xena321

[74]Jun 15, 2011
    libra113 wrote:
    Yeah, you start adding characters after the first season and some fans will feel like the new characters are 'taking the show away' from Sam and Dean.

The sad fact is: If you want to properly develop charactes it takes screen time and there's only so much screen time so every minute you give to one character has to be taken from another and there are a lot of vocal people who don't like it when the time comes from Sam or Dean.

Hell, it wasn't until this season that Bobby had an episode of his own and it was also this season that Cas got an episode of his own (the only reason Jimmy got an episode to himself before that was becasue the story required it and even then Jimmy's parts were short flashbacks).

It's too bad they didn't see the need sooner so they could have had a large group of characters from the start but they made their choices and now they're stuck with them for better or worse.

Thats true, but to be honest you kinda have to add new characters to keep the show fresh, if they stuck to the season 1 format with Sam and Dean doing cases and not ever adding any significant characters, it wouldn't improve the series.

When you add characters, the show is from Sam and Dean's POV, so I dont see whats the issue with new characters. Thats true with Bobby and Jimmy, and yes the story required it.

Yeah thats true, they didn't see it sooner until it was too late, and yep they made their choice. If it were me, I'd have turned the show into a 5 person show, but only Sam and Dean appear in all 22 episodes, whereas everyone else appears in 13-15 episodes. This is what they did on Charmed or Vampire Diaries, and it worked well. The attention was still on the main's. But they made their choice, and its tough luck.

libra113

[75]Jun 16, 2011
    Yeah but there's an odd phenomanon with this show where if Sam and Dean aren't front and center for most of the episode (or nearly all of it) then there are people who are gonna complain and be unhappy.

Not only that but there are Sam fans who get upset if Dean gets more screen time than Sam and visa versa. That's why when they part company it's not for long and why they would never have Sam go full on evil and take off and have Dean trying to track him down for more than a couple of episodes. Which is a shame because it kinda closes a lot of doors storywise.

tvtome_xena321

[76]Jun 16, 2011
    libra113 wrote:
    Yeah but there's an odd phenomanon with this show where if Sam and Dean aren't front and center for most of the episode (or nearly all of it) then there are people who are gonna complain and be unhappy.

Not only that but there are Sam fans who get upset if Dean gets more screen time than Sam and visa versa. That's why when they part company it's not for long and why they would never have Sam go full on evil and take off and have Dean trying to track him down for more than a couple of episodes. Which is a shame because it kinda closes a lot of doors storywise.

hehe aww theres that, but I never complained about those issues, you cant expect a perfect balance with characters. I love supernatural, but sometimes the fandom really goes too far with complaning. Thats a shame, theres so many story ideas, that I think both the writers and fans are to blame half the time. But I kinda envy the writers for not having the guts to tell there story like they wanted, what we want, isn't what we really need.

libra113

[77]Jun 16, 2011
    Kinda like that line from "Legion" where Micheal tells Gaberial that God favored him because he (Micheal) gave him not what he wanted but what he needed. Always loved that line even if it comes off a bit like two chicks fighting over a man.

Yeah, in the early days there seemed a real drive to keep the fans happy (or at least as many as possible) becasue ratings were so low, guess they didn't want to alienate anyone. By the time the ratings got to the point where they didn't have to worry so much the damage was done and it was such a habit to bend to the will of the majority (or at least the majority that was vocal enough to make their feelings heard).

Maybe once they're at a point where things are winding down for good and they know there won't be another season they will start to take chances and do the bold moves, at least I would hope they would go out like that.

tvtome_xena321

[78]Jun 18, 2011
    libra113 wrote:
    Kinda like that line from "Legion" where Micheal tells Gaberial that God favored him because he (Micheal) gave him not what he wanted but what he needed. Always loved that line even if it comes off a bit like two chicks fighting over a man.

Yeah, in the early days there seemed a real drive to keep the fans happy (or at least as many as possible) becasue ratings were so low, guess they didn't want to alienate anyone. By the time the ratings got to the point where they didn't have to worry so much the damage was done and it was such a habit to bend to the will of the majority (or at least the majority that was vocal enough to make their feelings heard).

Maybe once they're at a point where things are winding down for good and they know there won't be another season they will start to take chances and do the bold moves, at least I would hope they would go out like that.

Good point with that line, haha I forgot about that, yep like that.

Thats true they did that in the early days, I wouldn't say the ratings were that low, they were at its highest in season 1, got 5 million in the early episodes. But your right when the ratings got to a certain point, they didn't have to worry about stuff like that. SPN fandom does have a very local and wanting to be heard voice. But tbh I didn't think if they stuck there guns to there original stories, it would of effected the show much, other than fans complaining, but I think over time fans could accept storylines, I think the problem is some just cant wait for things, like in season 6 with answers to current storylines.

I hope once the now the end is coming, they will make bold moves and I hope they do attempt this.

libra113

[79]Jun 18, 2011
    tvtome_xena321 wrote:
    libra113 wrote:

Good point with that line, haha I forgot about that, yep like that.

Thats true they did that in the early days, I wouldn't say the ratings were that low, they were at its highest in season 1, got 5 million in the early episodes. But your right when the ratings got to a certain point, they didn't have to worry about stuff like that. SPN fandom does have a very local and wanting to be heard voice. But tbh I didn't think if they stuck there guns to there original stories, it would of effected the show much, other than fans complaining, but I think over time fans could accept storylines, I think the problem is some just cant wait for things, like in season 6 with answers to current storylines.

I hope once the now the end is coming, they will make bold moves and I hope they do attempt this.
    I remember in the early days there was always concern the show was going to get cancelled and if it would come back from one season to the next so yeah I can see a fear (either overt or more subliminal) that if they didn't keep the fans they had happy they would leave and it really would be over. That said, yeah they needed to stick to their original plan but then again at least some of the plan changing was forced upon them by real world issues of money and all that.

I will admit, I didn't care much for Jo or Ellen when they first showed up and Ash was VERY hit or miss but I don't think writing them out/killing them was neccisarly the way to go so much as just trying to make them better and not feeling like they had to be in every episode even if it was just a couple of minutes.

Anyway, that's all in the past I rather look forward. Gotta agree on season six stuff it DID seem this season like everyone wanted the whole story laid out before them in the first episode rather than just being patient and let it unfold at it's own pace.

It also seems that there are more people just looking to punch holes in that story without even bothering to perhaps reason out things on their own before blasting the writers. Guess that's what happens when a show peaks late and some people think it's too late.

lostcause78

[80]Jun 19, 2011
    • level: 9
    Not sure why I've not put in my 2 cents here.

Personally I'd want Ellen and Jo around. If I had to choose between the 2, I'd say Jo. They got a Bobby already and meh have to admit I had a teen crush on Jo when she punched Dean out