Supernatural Forums

Wednesday 9:00 PM on The CWBetween Seasons

Why doesn't Dean just say yes?

CrazyAsian1080

[1]Feb 15, 2010
    • level: 7
    Apparently Michael can take over someone and leave them fine afterwards. Why doesn't Dean just say yes, kill Lucifer in his lesser vessel, and call it a day.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

kdtfiles

[2]Feb 15, 2010
    • level: 23
    well, for 1. it would make for a short and dull season now wouldn't it?

The reason he doesn't want to say "yes" is because he doen't want to believe that his fate is already set, that he has no free will over what will happen to him. Plus, he could also be worried that if he isn't there to watch after Sam, he (Sam) may say yes to Lucifer, then their meat will be in a life or death battle and they won't be in controll - killing Lu/Mike will surely kill either Sam/Dean... There is no garentee that Michael will be able to kill Lu, so who's to say Lu isn't the one doing the killing.

Gislef

[3]Feb 16, 2010
    • level: 102
    Also, what makes you think Michael is telling the truth? Just because he can doesn't mean he will.

libra113

[4]Feb 17, 2010
    • level: 27
    Well, really I think it all boils down to not wanting to be a pawn AND not wanting to kill half the world's population in this final battle.

Even in Nick (a lesser vessel) the devistation would be great and he wants two things: (1) To make his own way and (2)to save the most people possible.

The ONLY way Micheal is going to get what he wants is if he can PROMISE Dean that no one else will get hurt and he and Nick can do the fighting to the death bit. Otherwise Dean will continue to say no.

waisal14

[5]Feb 23, 2010
    • level: 10

I think the reason why Dean doesn't say yes to Michael is because of his internal fears. We don't know much about his internal fears and in the "My Bloody Valentine" episode Famine mentions Dean has no carvings because he senses Dean feels dead inside. With that being said, Dean it is quite obvious Dean is probably suffering from depression and anxiety. I think there's a lot of anxiety building up inside of him that is giving him fears about what will happen in the future and his fate. What Dean needs is some help and a friend to open up about his feelings. However, Dean doesn't seem to be the kind of guy who is willing to open up about what's going on in his mind. I think a great way to explore what's going in Dean's mind is do an episode where the writers explore his mind and expose his fears.

libra113

[6]Feb 23, 2010
    Even beyound that I have a sense that Dean feels that he has to save everyone himself, on his own terms for two reasons: (1) To make up for what he did in Hell and atone and prove (if only to himself) that has value as a human being and (2) to prove that he (and by extention Sam) have choices and don't have to be anyone's meat puppets and dance on their strings.

More than just WANTING to prove these very important points he NEEDS to prove them and if he fails it will be the biggest blow he has suffered.

englishshewolf

[7]Feb 24, 2010
    • level: 14

I think it's lack of trust for the Angels after they let Sam kill Lilith. Once he says yes he has no control and he want's to be sure that the Angels are telling the truth this time. If they had left Lilith alone then the Apocalypse wouldn't even be happening. It's the Angels that wanted humanity desroyed (Cleansed).

Dean will also want to give Cas the chance to find God if possible in the hope that will help.

Maybe Dean would say yes if Cas said that was the only way but he hasn't.

feraflower

[8]Feb 24, 2010
    • level: 17

There are several reasons why Dean refuses to say yes to Michael:

1. No way is he ever going to be comfortable as being Michael's "angel condom". Dean has been f'ked over so many times in his life, it's reasonable that he wants to stay himself. It's his body, his life, his mind. I don't quite believe Michael when he said that he would be willing to let Dean's mind be preserved after Michael's through with him.

2. If Dean falls, Sam will fall. Simple as that. If Dean says yes to Michael, he knows one or none of the Winchesters are getting out of this alive or in one piece. If Michael ends up being the one killing Sam/Dean and even if Michael keeps his word and leaves Dean's mind preserved, Dean will have to live for the rest of his life without his brother, knowing "he" killed his own brother.

3. Armageddon end time-Think the times are bad now? Just wait until the angel's vision for Armageddon is fully realized, after they destroy Lucifer, once they establish "peace on earth". The angels are all for only letting the "worthy" survive. Anyone who doesn't live up to their code will/should be neutralized. Essentially, while the angels' plan is "nicer" than Lucifer's, it's not by much.

4. Dean still believes there is a better, safer, more moral way to end Armageddon. His hope for this is dwindling more as the season goes on but the Winchesters have always been for alternate choices. It would make sense that Dean would exhaust every possible alternative to end the angel-demon war before he would ever be desperate enough to succumb to Michael.

libra113

[9]Feb 24, 2010
    feraflower wrote:

There are several reasons why Dean refuses to say yes to Michael:

1. No way is he ever going to be comfortable as being Michael's "angel condom". Dean has been f'ked over so many times in his life, it's reasonable that he wants to stay himself. It's his body, his life, his mind. I don't quite believe Michael when he said that he would be willing to let Dean's mind be preserved after Michael's through with him.

2. If Dean falls, Sam will fall. Simple as that. If Dean says yes to Michael, he knows one or none of the Winchesters are getting out of this alive or in one piece. If Michael ends up being the one killing Sam/Dean and even if Michael keeps his word and leaves Dean's mind preserved, Dean will have to live for the rest of his life without his brother, knowing "he" killed his own brother.

3. Armageddon end time-Think the times are bad now? Just wait until the angel's vision for Armageddon is fully realized, after they destroy Lucifer, once they establish "peace on earth". The angels are all for only letting the "worthy" survive. Anyone who doesn't live up to their code will/should be neutralized. Essentially, while the angels' plan is "nicer" than Lucifer's, it's not by much.

4. Dean still believes there is a better, safer, more moral way to end Armageddon. His hope for this is dwindling more as the season goes on but the Winchesters have always been for alternate choices. It would make sense that Dean would exhaust every possible alternative to end the angel-demon war before he would ever be desperate enough to succumb to Michael.

Well, except:

1. We KNOW Micheal was inside John and he was never a drolling mess so it's possible.

2. I would think it would be much MORE likely the other way around. Sam says yes and Dean does to TRY and free Sam by taking him out. While, I COULD also see Sam being lured into saying yes AFTER Dean for some reason it's a much less likely road.

3. That sounds like a season 6 issue. Fight the Heavenly power.

4. Yes, said as much myself many times. Also, as I posted further up he has a lot wrapped up in doing this on HIS terms.