Supernatural Forums

Tuesday 9:00 PM on The CWIn Season

why is the artwork so screwed up for supernaturals dvd frontcover!

jack756

[21]Jul 5, 2010
    • level: 14

what im trying to say is little things like who bigger arent important but to others it is and i dont think nothing is wrong with that b/c sometimes i can make a fuss about a dvd cover just last year i was so mad b/c i thoght fringe dvd cover had a frog on it but then it turned out it had all the ppl on there but the frog was like in 3d or something.so as u can see we all can make things that dont seem important be so huge

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

SohiHien

[23]Aug 9, 2010
    • level: 8
    I really don't see Sam as being the main character. Really both Sam and Dean are both equal in terms of being the "main" character. One season or half season might focus on one brother more then the other but it all evens out over the 5 seasons. If one brother was more main then the other it would be Dean, he's had entire episodes focused entirely on him wit barely any Sam. But in reality they are both the "main" character and anyone who thinks otherwise is too stuck in the one main character mentality that all shows blindly use. Supernatural is different in this regard with two main characters and a few regulars, instead of a single main character and a huge supporting cast. I have loved all the DVD covers. They always show both brothers side by side and characters/images relative to that season. I really loved the third season cover with Dean looking down as if at hell. In my mind it is the imagery as a whole more then who is more in front then the other that determines how I'm attracted to a cover. Plus supernatural makes shiny covers! Thats an attractant right there!

libra113

[24]Aug 9, 2010
    • level: 27
    Well, there is a very real perception that Sam's role in the demon plan kinda makes him the central character and Dean is his bodyguard of sorts.

It IS true but when Dean became 'the only one who could end it' and the angles had him brought back he became just as important to the story (if not more so).

I would say the first few seasons were ABOUT Sam but through Dean's eyes as an observer, but once he was choosen he bacame an important part of the main story itself. In fact I just read something in one of the mags (trying to catch up because I'm SO behind on them) where JA says pretty much the same thing (guess that's where I got it).

basenji529

[25]Aug 10, 2010
    • level: 15

Well, they're sort of bothnecessary to imprison Lucifer again...

libra113

[26]Aug 10, 2010
    • level: 27
    basenji529 wrote:

Well, they're sort of bothnecessary to imprison Lucifer again...

Yeah, but before that the story was all about "what's going on with Sam" and "Sam could become evil" and Dean was just there to protect him and to watch him and make sure he didn't turn evil.

Then Sam died, Dean sold his soul for him and the story started to shift a bit more toward Dean and it was "how do we get Dean out of his deal" and "Dean was choosen by God to stop Lilith and the end of the world".

Personally, I think the shift supplies a good balance and that even when one is the focus the other doesn't just dissppear, they always have a role to play even if it's a backup role from time to time.

Maybe part of the shake up for this coming season will be something that puts them both in the spotlight. I'm sure there are some renegade angels who are hiding from Heaven to avoid punishment for their role in the whole Lucifer thing and we KNOW Meg and the demons are out there still and BOTH of them will want their hide for what they did taking out BOTH Lucifer and Micheal in one fell swoop.

SleepingDeath0

[27]Aug 16, 2010
    • level: 4
    I noticed this! In seasons 1 and 2, the covers made Dean seem more central when both were very much about Sam, which 3 and 4 (the latter to a much lesser extent) more showcased Sam when they were about Dean, though argument is open for Season 5.

But I realize the makers of the covers don't realize this.