Supernatural Forums

Tuesday 9:00 PM on The CWBetween Seasons

Would the Winchester Brothers ever have to kill god?

feliz82

[1]Feb 12, 2012
    • level: 2

Sorry if this topic has already been brought up. I've just been thinking about it. Considering hunters kill anything supernatural (I have issue with this, but I know that has been discussed), especially anything that kills humans. Would this mean if the god ever did make and appearance and started offing people would the Winchesters have to start hunting god too? They sure have kill enough pagan gods already. Please know I am not trying to start a controversial discussion and I am purely applying this to the Supernatural universe.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

lachlan_j_g

[2]Feb 13, 2012
    • level: 11

feliz82 wrote:

Sorry if this topic has already been brought up. I've just been thinking about it. Considering hunters kill anything supernatural (I have issue with this, but I know that has been discussed), especially anything that kills humans. Would this mean if the god ever did make and appearance and started offing people would the Winchesters have to start hunting god too? They sure have kill enough pagan gods already. Please know I am not trying to start a controversial discussion and I am purely applying this to the Supernatural universe.

i thought they only hunted things that killed humans - i remember them letting a vampire go who chose not to feed on humans but cattle instead. considering that God is omniscient he could probably see any attempt to hunt/kill him from miles away. I know there was debate about whether Chuck was God - if he was, then he managed to stay undetected right under Raphael's nose. God also nullified the magical amulet that was meant to burn hot in his presence without lifting a finger. so even if the Winchesters hunted him down, and had a weapon that could kill him, what's to stop God from nullifying that weapon. Death said he was as old as God, don't know if that means he is just as powerful, and he managed to stop Dean from killing him without even moving.

gatoraderising

[3]Feb 13, 2012
    • level: 7
    They could try to hunt God but they would never end up killing him. Yes they have killed alot of pagan gods but God seems to be ALOT more powerful then the pagan gods IMO.

libra113

[4]Feb 13, 2012
    • level: 27
    Well, they've often debated about that. At first Dean's position was that if something was supernatural they killed it but Sam's point was that they were only supposed to kill supernatural EVIL. It's a point Dean too to heart after their encounter with Lenore and her group of vampires in season two.

Now they have gone back and forth on this a number of times with varying notions and so it should be. It should always be a case by case basis and not a blanket one way or the other. As for what would make them decide to hunt God in the first place, yes he would have to make an appearance and yes he would have to kill people. Of course on the practical side it would take something REALLY special for them to actually be able to hurt or even kill God so unless they had something like that they would be out of luck and probably best turning a blind eye.

dragon22a

[5]Mar 7, 2012
    • level: 32
    At this point they have technically been hunting him for a while but only to find him. Either way, Dean will likely have some words for him if they ever find him. Who knows, maybe they would end up having to save him from something.

libra113

[6]Mar 7, 2012

dragon22a wrote:
    At this point they have technically been hunting him for a while but only to find him. Either way, Dean will likely have some words for him if they ever find him. Who knows, maybe they would end up having to save him from something.
    Okay, when did I miss them declaring they were hunting God? Seems to me they're trying to get dirt on Dick Roman and laying low at this point.

lachlan_j_g

[7]Mar 8, 2012
    • level: 11

libra113 wrote:

dragon22a wrote:
    Okay, when did I miss them declaring they were hunting God? Seems to me they're trying to get dirt on Dick Roman and laying low at this point.

they haven't started hunting God - they were in season 5 to ask him to stop the apocolypse but gave up after talking to Joshua.

libra113

[8]Mar 8, 2012

lachlan_j_g wrote:

libra113 wrote:

dragon22a wrote:

they haven't started hunting God - they were in season 5 to ask him to stop the apocolypse but gave up after talking to Joshua.

Yeah, I was wondering if maybe the other poster was just that far and was talking about that or maybe the part at the end of season five where Dean said he was coming for God next which wasn't really serious just anger talking. Have to be carefulbecauseyou never know where someone is from or how far into the series they've watched.

AimeeMorgan

[9]Mar 9, 2012

i thought death said he was older than god and would one day reap him too, so i figured that ment the only thing to kill god would be death and even then it would probably only be when god wanted it cause death gave the impression that he was seperate to god and not really controlled by him. it is all rather confusing :-s

gatoraderising

[10]Mar 9, 2012
    • level: 7
    AimeeMorgan wrote:

i thought death said he was older than god and would one day reap him too, so i figured that ment the only thing to kill god would be death and even then it would probably only be when god wanted it cause death gave the impression that he was seperate to god and not really controlled by him. it is all rather confusing :-s

Well Death said that God and him are so old that both of them cant remember who's older. Death may not be controlled by God but in a way he does work for him. It's Death and his reaper's who kill and take soul's to Heaven or Hell but its God's who says where the souls go.

libra113

[11]Mar 9, 2012

gatoraderising wrote:
    AimeeMorgan wrote:

Well Death said that God and him are so old that both of them cant remember who's older. Death may not be controlled by God but in a way he does work for him. It's Death and his reaper's who kill and take soul's to Heaven or Hell but its God's who says where the souls go.
    Well I don't know if I would put it that way exactly. The Reapers collect souls and take them where they're supposed to go but Death isn't reallyinvolvedin that since he was locked up forcenturiesand people still kept dying and going to Heaven or Hell without him. Likely, Death just is and the Reapers are sort of connected to him in some way but since we have not only God but the lesser gods and other entities it's a bit unclear who decides where they go and it may not even be a matter of someone deciding so much and just someone keeping track of the nature/status of their souls or their actions and carrying them where they belong. Fate might have something to do with that (or did until Fate was downgraded after theapocalypsethat never was). It's clearly a very complex system that we will never fully understand. All we can hope to know are the parts that are in play at any point in time.

basenji529

[12]Mar 24, 2012
    • level: 15

"God is dead."

--Nietzsche, who loves rhyming

libra113

[13]Mar 24, 2012

basenji529 wrote:

"God is dead."

--Nietzsche, who loves rhyming

That doesn't rhyme, or did it lose something being translated from German?

RichardCarlso

[14]May 7, 2012

Sam and Dean kill God? No way, no how. God is all powerful and omniscient. There is no weapon that can harm him, much less kill him. For all the power Lucifer has, he couldn't overthrow God. Even Lucifer's power combined with the power of all the Angels that sided with him couldn't overthrow God. Dean was just trash talking when he said he was going after God, too. Death is the most powerful being to appear on the show so far. Even he can't kill God. In the Chicago ep where he's eating pizza, he said he would reap God AFTER he dies, suggesting God would eventually die of old age. But since God is immortal and invulnerable, I think Death was doing a little trash talking himself.

libra113

[15]May 7, 2012

RichardCarlso wrote:

Sam and Dean kill God? No way, no how. God is all powerful and omniscient. There is no weapon that can harm him, much less kill him. For all the power Lucifer has, he couldn't overthrow God. Even Lucifer's power combined with the power of all the Angels that sided with him couldn't overthrow God. Dean was just trash talking when he said he was going after God, too. Death is the most powerful being to appear on the show so far. Even he can't kill God. In the Chicago ep where he's eating pizza, he said he would reap God AFTER he dies, suggesting God would eventually die of old age. But since God is immortal and invulnerable, I think Death was doing a little trash talking himself.

We don't know enough about their version of God to know if any of that is true or not.