Supernatural

Houses of the Holy

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Feb 01, 2007 on The CW

• Sam starts to show his weakness

I like this one because it is that start of Sam having doubts about God, angels and the devil inside him. Glimpses of the the stresses that will be put on the brothers in the near future!
  • Sam and Dean investigate a series of murders, which were supposedly ordered by an angel. They disagree upon the reality of angels and anything “good” existing in the supernatural world.

As a believer, I always get a little nervous when Hollywood addresses a religious issue, but I very much enjoyed this episode. To repeatedly show how powerful evil is, we get to see glimpses of the good side. Sam’s hopefulness is contrasted strongly to the darkness that Dean carries from so much he has endured in his life. I thought the end of the episode did a good job of showing how Dean may have a grain of faith even if there was no real angel. Sam is left despondent which may lead to his possession in the next episode. The true hero of the episode is Father Reynolds who grants final peace to very much confused, but not evil, Father Gregory. Even in the face of supernatural events, Reynolds’ faith remains strong. He knows his stuff, “Men cannot be angels”, “what you are doing is not God’s will” shows that he is a faithful man. He knows God’s word and follows it. The Father Reynolds’ character is so strong, I would like to see him work more with Sam and Dean in future episodes.
  • Definitely a filler episode, but not without it's interesting moments.

I suppose it was to be expected that there'd be a lull in the incredible streak of episodes Supernatural had, but even for a filler episode, it's well made and exciting. I wasn't a huge fan of the "monster," or "spirit," and found myself less than interested in the outcome. After all of the hoopla between Sam and Dean about whether or not the culprit was an angel or not, it turns out its just another vengeful spirit. I'm a big fan of any supernatural being that Sam and Dean have to get rid of, but this felt a little too vague.

The one thing I was interested in was Sam and Dean's reversal in terms of faith. In the beginning, Sam was a believer and prayed every day that he would be saved when the time came. Dean, meanwhile, despite believing in demons and werewolves and vampires, finds it hard to believe in angels since he's never seen one. Throughout the episode, they both finds that challenge their beliefs, and by the end, they've both met in the middle. It was quite the emotional episode.

I don't know if it's just because of the lack of Ellen and Jo, but this episode felt as if there was very few people in it. It seems as if the last five or six episodes, there has been a lot of characters we've either known or have seen before. The last few have felt like season 1 episodes (new and improved season 1 episodes, that is).

Now that it's the halfway point, I'm expecting some yellow eyed man!
  • The perfect episode to couple with "Faith" (1x11)

Sera Gamble is one of my favorite writers of the show, I've made no mystery of that. This episode, "Houses of the Holy" (2x13), is just a perfect example of why I love her episodes so much.

Back in Season One, Sera and Raelle Tucker co-wrote "Faith", an episode about the things you do for love, about faith and delusion, about the often ironic tragedy of life. "Faith" is one of Supernatural best episodes, and whilst "Houses of the Holy" isn't at par with it, it shows nonetheless a depth that the vast majority of nowadays shows utterly lack.

Being an atheist myself, I'm nevertheless fascinated with religious subjects and angels are indeed a rich material from an aesthetic perspective. Angels were written in this episode with cleverness and subtlety, and thus they became less a storytelling gimmick and more a creative device to deepen Dean and Sam's own systems of belief, their characters and to enrich their background. Sam prays every night for his redemption, because Dean's revelation about what John told him before dying shattered him. Dean, on the other hand, keeping in mind the tragic history of their family, can't believe in higher powers, in other-worldly goodness or in God's will. The top-notch script maintains constantly high the tension between these two poles, and it is clever enough to resolve the doubt only in the end, and not before shuffling the cards once more, that's saying before Sam realizes his delusional desires and Dean aknowledges the possibility of a Greater Good. What is really interesting is that Sam's agnosticism and Dean's skepticism are more than this. Sam always had faith; always he thought that what Dean and him were doing was some sort of mission bestowed upon them. It was evident in his urge to vindicate Jessica's death, in his will to believe in a grand scheme, an overarching truth capable of explain everything in the world. Dean, on the other hand, had always seen what they do as a job, a hard-to-do but necessary job, an heavy legacy, but a legacy nonetheless. Dean believes in free will, and he's a true Humanist, considering nothing human extraneous to him and considering his fight against the evil in terms of "saving people". Sam, on the other hand, is more of a Fatalist, and this help explain what happened to him in between Season Three and Four (see "Lazarus Rising", 4x01): it's interesting, in fact, that Dean CHOSE to make a deal with the Crossroad Demon and that the same choice was forbidden for Sam. This philosophic richness is what really set "Supernatural" apart from any other show!
  • I really like this episode.

In this episode Sam thinks they are dealing wiht an angel whereas Dean doesn't. They end up having a few arguments about faith and the angel.

Turns out they there isn't an angel but the spirit of a recently departed reverend who died outside the church. He is getting rid of all the evil people from within his congregation that have confessed to him thing he knows are wrong.

Sam is dissapointed that there is no angel and Dean questions his lack of faith.

It is good how they figure it out though, that its a spirit and not a angel. I really like this episode.
  • Here comes the debaters.

The last episode on "faith" was one of the best episodes in all of Supernatural. Guess lightning doesn't strike twice, but not to say this episode is bad or anything because this is still very much a quality episode lacking some fine tuning. The episode started off brilliantly well for one, with the whole case of the hooker being visited by a mysterious white light, only later to find out she actually committed murder because an angel told her to. And watching Dean just nonchalantly use the vibrating bed listening to rock music, awesome transition from the bank robbery one before. Though as the case developed, it got more complicated and although it did an admirable job of balancing between faith and the supernatural, it couldn't quite handle it for all it was worth.
  • Dean begins to question his lack of faith while Sam begins to lose grip on his own faith.

I think this episode is essential to the series. When this episode first aired it was really cool to see how Dean actually witnesses an act of God's will and it throws him. He's not sure what to think but it does get him to believe even for a little while that maybe there is a God. Of course, that doesn't last after everything he goes through in later episodes but come Season 4 and he's starting to believe again. I think the events of S4 would be really strange and out of nowhere if it had not been for Houses of the Holy. The episode introduces concepts used later on and because of this I believe it's important to the whole series.

I do like how we get a glimpse into Sam's desperation for answers. He wants to know why they have to do what they do and if it means anything. Dean on the other hand is more accepting to the way things are and doesn't fight it so much. He's at peace with how things are - which is oddly enough a big part to having faith. Sam has faith but isn't at peace with anything. It was interesting to see this paradox and the comparison between the two brothers and how they viewed the world, God, etc.
  • The end was chilling.

This episode looked like a typical "Touched By An Angel" episode from the promo. Dean doesn't believe in angels but towards the end he does. this episode surprised me in so many ways. It turns out the angel is a spirit, and Sam learns that angels aren't real, a little atheist but whatever. The subplot is perfect. Someone is about to do something terrible & Sam has to stop him, Dean eventually stops hims but in a deadly way. when the pole stabbed that man simultaneously was another sign of a real angels which luckily gave Sam so hope. I like how this episode had a subplot. Great episode!
  • The ultimate clash of faith … or lack thereof.

I like the episode, it addresses a subject that should've been addressed ages ago, given the boys' line of work it was about time they present the other side of the realm (the good side) into the mix. Even if the existence of such side wasn't established, I think with the existence of demons, spirits and various other evil creatures, it's safe to assume the existence of an opposite force, and discussing this subject was way overdue.

I'm a believer myself, so it was interesting seeing my favorite character on TV on the exact opposite end. His view of the world was painful to hear, it was such a cynical take on life, gave me the shudders! On the other hand it was also painful hearing Sam's reasons for believing, it shows just how desperate he is, hanging onto any glimpse of hope or redemption.

"Dean what did you see?"
    "Maybe God's will"

It was a good episode, it'll be awhile before they come across a real angel, but in the meantime, it's great seeing Sam clinching on to his faith no matter how irrational it seems to Dean, at least he's supporting his brother, he wants him to keep the faith, faith that he could be saved, and who knows, after all everything is God's will ...
  • The boys go after people who have killed at the behest of an "Angel".

This is a terrible episode. Let me rephrase that...THIS IS A TERRIBLE EPISODE.

Following one of the best episodes ever, "NightShifters", comes this awful mess of tripe. Quite possibly the worst episode of the series so far. Come on guys lets keep the focus on demon hunting and off the unnecessary character mis-development. Ok you want to make the guys more "religious" but more episode like this and I'll just go back to my discs of "Kolchak" and "X-Files". Many don't want writers agendas thrown in our faces. I didn't for one moment believe that the two had such an about face in their beliefs in such a short time. Too bad, with major rewriting this could have rated perhaps a 1.1.

Please stop the requisite episode fighting between the brothers, that is getting very boring.
  • Sam investigates allegations that an angel is telling people to kill, while Dean lays low due to being a wanted man.

This episode is another humorous beginning with a fairly profound ending. The people who do the killing for the angels confess afterwards and are at peace. Sam believes that an angel may be telling them to do the killings, but Dean is skeptical. The people that are dying are not good people. One was a murderer and another one a pedophile. Dean's disgust "Oh, I don't want to hear this," at the pedophile's house while Sam read the emails was endearing. The man was supposed to meet a young girl the day before he got stabbed, and Dean says good timing.

I find it a great character trait that Sam prays every day and Dean does not. I think that is illustrative of their characters. Poor Dean. Losing his mother when the last thing she told was that angels were watching over them? It explains so much about his character. Sam doesn't have even the 4 years of good memories that Dean has. Sam didn't know another way of life other than the one he had, Dean on the other hand had memories – fuzzy memories, but still memories of what he lost. It is of no surprise that he lost faith.

The sadness on Sam's face when Father Gregory shows up after the séance is so profound. Makes you want to give the poor guy a hug. I also love the interaction between the two priests. It was nice for once to not have to salt and burn the bones. They need to have a priest on call or something.

The ending was so touching. The core of this show is about these two men, about these brothers. The fact that Dean sees something he believes is God will is so wonderful and it comes just in time to help poor Sam.

One of the best episodes ever.
  • “When Angels Attack,” or “It Came From the Sky” – a 1950s sci-fi flick title could have come in handy here, eh? He he...

I got the feeling that this episode was primarily in order to expose the Boys’ personal beliefs in religion rather than show any particular Thing that Goes Bump – the Thing was, after all, just a ghost in the end. The question that I wrote down to myself towards the beginning of the episode was only partly answered, though. I wrote, “Do they think there is a God? Is there an ultimate Good for which they fight? Is that goodness humanity?”

The first answer was clearly answered, at least nominally. However, the difference between what a person says and what they do (and sometimes even what they think) can be quite large. I think, especially in Dean’s case, atheism is quite in character not for any convictions towards chaos theory or against God (although this was used when Dean talked about Mama Winchester dying), but because his character is impetuous and lives in the present.

Speaking of such a one, this episode reminded me quite a few times of my British friend, Phil. I’ll have to tell him, he’ll be flattered. The first reminder came from the second “sinner,” a man whose crimes apparently include drinking alone and reading comics. Phil would certainly get a kick out of it – this is a guy who, last fall, came to a seminar on historical linguistics (which started at 3:30) absolutely trashed because he had been talking to friends back at his home school in England over a webcam (and also a guy who still harbors some deep-rooted dreams of using a major in English and Communications to become a comic book author). Phil is also notorious for his hip flask, so I had to laugh when Dean whipped that out. (Has he had that previously and I haven’t noticed?)

Even though we the audience get the Boys’ reactions to the possibility of Divinity, the Powers that Be don’t give any hint as to what they will put forth as the reality, at least in the Supernatural universe. I really think, at this point at least, that the Powers treat anything Supernatural as Evil and anything Good as Human. (An interesting test of whichever number logical fallacy that is – that statement would not mean the same thing if I had reversed the order of either set of components.) Personal feelings as to what I believe of the real universe, I feel slightly as Sam stated towards the beginning of this episode – if there are Things that Go Bump in the universe of Supernatural, why can’t there be Things that Are Groovy? I think the Powers that Be would be fully capable of doing an episode or even an arc on this without upsetting any viewers – and at the risk of sounding callous, if someone did get upset at such an episode, I have no sympathy for them. I highly doubt that every person who watches Supernatural believes in Things that Go Bump in the real universe, which means that some suspension of disbelief is required to become an audience member. I therefore see no difference for how a person could watch an episode about Things that Are Groovy – their presence in a television show doesn’t mean that the producers of that show are trying to convert the audience to a specific religion or sect. I’m going to perform some self-editing before I go into too deep a rant about Puritanism and censorship going both ways...but oh, it’s there beneath the surface. ;)

On the other hand, I truly deeply fear the Powers that Be doing an exposition on The Things that Are Groovy because it would probably come at the point where I would have to label it as Jumping the Shark (I can use that phrase correctly now that I know what it means!) So while I think that there’s potential there and probably some cards still held to tPtB’s collective chest, I am leery to see anything come to fruition, and will settle now for the statement that all Supernatural is Evil, all Good is Human.

This probably sounds shallow, but the highlights of this episode for me were the noises made by Zach’s victim. I can only hope they were listed as “grunts” or not expounded upon in the script at all. Wait, what am I saying? If a script actually had, “Ah! Ooh!” as death rattles, that makes it even more awesome. Of course the Boys were great in their roles (and I believe that raspy-voiced!Sam only made an appearance for a brief segment of the final scene, which was wonderful). I also have written ‘lovely use of color/tint,’ and it’s right about the note about Phil and the hip flask, so if it’s not in reference to the whole episode it’s that specific scene; this response is a little bit late in coming, so I’m not absolutely certain.

This episode was fine. Not an outstanding example of what Supernatural can do, but an acceptable episode. I had a problem with the fact that (this is me speaking as someone whose Mama sent him off to CCD every week until sophomore year of high school) the dead priest essentially forgot Divine Will 101. The fact that he could become a tormented soul (especially, as we learned from “In My Time of Dying,” when the Reaper will tell the soul that they can let go or become a tormented spirit; a priest, final rites given or not, should have no problem with saying bye bye now.) was quite out of character for a priest, as was exemplified by the horrified expression on the other priest’s face as soon as he realized the angel was not one in fact. In this case, I’d prefer to classify this as a...plot hole, I suppose would be the phrase...rather than an example of what someone does for work and what they believe being different things, just because I’m already trying to self-edit myself on the whole media-perception-of-religion thing.
  • Winchester boys come across killings that angels could be behind.

I always start off with commenting on the wonderful acting. Absolutely great. This episode was a necessary one to the fans of Supernatural. We really needed to know where Sam and Dean stand on the religious idea and I think this episode answered it. I liked the beginning when Dean is in the hotel and he is talking to Sam. It's really funny. The ending was great. Really creepy and Ironic how the guy died in front of Dean, but it all fits together and I think that one little incident can make a person do a 180 on any point of view. Great job you guys!
  • Quite an exciting episode

Sam dives into an investigation involving angels, but Dean isn't too sure. Dean simply has trouble believing that angels really exist. He explains to us that his mother used to say that "angels were watching over him" every night before he went to sleep. In fact that was the last thing she ever said to him. So with a lot of investigation, Sam finds out that it is not really angels that are doing the bad thing but it is really a spirit. So Deans theory about angels was correct. I quite ike this episode, because it was kind of exciting, and it revealed a bit about Deans past. (and the fact that Sam prays everyday!)
  • A very deep episode for Supernatural

I missed the first ten minutes or so of the episode but it was easy enough to figure out when they were talking to the priest and the episode was quite inspirational and dealt with faith in a very real way. I for one don't believe in God, but some of the best episodes of any show deal with faith and I think this episode is a terrific example of how Supernatural works, with a misguided spirit masquerading as an angel and Sam wanting to believe and the end showing something that could be considered God or irony, but all the same this episode is one that is very memorable and a great episode of Supernatural.
  • "There really is magic in these magic fingers" - Dean Winchester

Violent spirits, Vampires, Shapeshifters, Black Dogs, Demons... The list goes on about the evil things Dean and Sammy have hunted and seen throughout their lives. Isn't it about time they encoutered something good?
    In this episode of Supernatural the boys investigate the mysterious circumstances surounding ordinary people in a small town being committed to mental institutions after murdering random strangers after an angel told them to do so.
    Dean is at his most skeptical after having never before seen an angel with his own two eyes and believing that if there were angels, surely more people would have 'something' watching over them and we find out that Sammy has quite a bit of faith.
    As the boys dig deeper Sammy becomes more and more convinced that it is an angel doing good rather than a vengeful spirit... if only he could convince Dean.
    A lot of answers and questions about the boys faith emerge in this episode though I was left feeling a little in the dark about what Dean actually believes.
    This episode also has several humourous moments in regards to Dean's new found addiction. Not a top episode for scares though, but as it's dealing with angels I suppose I can let it slide.
  • WFT?!

All the way through watching this I wasn't sure what to make of it. At the end I was just like 'wtf?!'. I didn't exactly hate it but it definitely wasn't my favourite storyline. No where near the usual standard. We found a couple of things that we didn't know about Sam and Dean and their views on religion. I was just kind of bored by it. It just seemed that the whole episode was about finding out about their stand point on religion and that was it, and discussing beliefs about religion and angels and whatever. I guess part of the reason I didn't like it was because I'm not religious in the slightest, I'm an atheist. So the episode just didn't interest me at all. Maybe it would have been different if I had been religious I don't know.
  • All about Angels.

In this episode the brothers believe that an Angel is somehow telling people to kill evil people. The brothers soon work out that all the victims where evil and rapists and murders, and Dean notices that they all go to the same church. So they investigate the church and find out that one of the priests died there and his spirit is somehow telling people to kill those who are evil. Sam stops the spirit while Dean goes after someone who the spirit told Sam kill. The brothers save the day, but Dean reveals to Sam that he believes a higher power killed the man. Sam also tells Dean that he prays to God.

Overall this was a very good epsidoe we have now learned a little more aboutt he brothers. Looking forward tom next week.
  • So very funny to watch!!!

Another amazing episode!!! So fun to watch!!! Dean in the vibrating bed was the funnyes thing!!! I laughed so munch!!!
    And Dean, was so cute, being all skeptica bout the whole angel thing, even when Sam sees it...
    Sam in the other hand, believes everything without questioning! He, who is allwais the most sketpic of the two!!! He always doubt Dean, and is always trying to find a reasonable, plausible explanation for the wierd stuff before accepting it has something to do with supernatural beings...
    But the quarters gag throughout the show was hilarious!!! Congratulations, boys, you did it again!!! The show was awsome!!!
  • A normal episode but i wanted more from it

I was expecting more from this episode, but it was ok. Is very hard for us that we are used to getting great episodes and see when the drama or adventure slows down. In this one the brothers have to investigate a series of angel like aperences that leads to the killing of inocent persons. THe good part comes when one of the brothes see the smae light and get a message from this angel, that he has to wait for another signal and stop some one that is going to do something. This brings the other brother to separate from his brother so he can prevent him to kill or harm.
  • they finally do an episode that talks about the religouse implications of a show like this, I only wish Dean had more faith. What does he think he survives death all the time by sheer dumb luck and charm?

I wonder if thier father ever took them to church while on the run from demons in thier childhood, and if not thats dumb and pretty ballsy I have to say, but in the long run he did his boys a huge disservice. I like the Frailty movie story line w/ the twist that the avenging angel was really a lost spirit. And to talk about the question that would GOD really forgive sinners for past mistakes and for a sin like killing the supposed wicked. It was also cool how that guy had a Final DESTINATION type death at the end. I also thought Deans reactions to SAM's belief in the spirit and the whole situation was hilariouse some of the best jokes he has ever cracked. Final thought I wonder if Sam started praying when he found out he might be a tool for evil a few episodes back, but if he wants to continue to fight an ever growing evil w/ his brother and prey on the side he should take the time to read the bible and maybe start memorizing some bible scriptures. I would think that help him spiritually and even physically for the challenges ahead, b/c when you get down to the essence of what the show is trying to say its all about taking on wickedness. Even w/ insurmountable odds you dont flinch in the valley of the shadow of death b/c you should fear no evil when you have the Lord on your side and at the end of day the guys should believe in them selves more for all the evil they have faced and taken down, they still keep moving forward so even though Dean says otherwise by his actions he has more faith than he knows, unlike the Athiest/Exotentialist type person he trys so hard to come off as. W/o believing in something greater than themselves they would of been killed off by now, and thats all what its about in this dark cruel world, that the Lord has a plan for everything and everyone and you should search for him b/c he is always waiting his children to come back home, so have faith like the characters in the show, well show! We possibly have 5 yrs folks find Jesus NOW 12/23/2012 GodBLESSus and every 1
  • I personally found this episode quite interesting and revealing

7.6
    I must admit, the episode Faith kind of worried me when I first saw it. There are too many series, films, and books that tend to belittle the Christian faith - or any other faith they mention.

I actually thought that this episode would be the same, despite Faith. I must say that it kind of surprised me, although I'm not sure it was all that necessary to have an episode like this. In some ways, it seemed almost forced - although Sam's comment of, 'I pray every day' almost made sense, in a way - but I can't really see Dean turning around on the whole thing like he almost seemed to do.

I thought it was interesting the way that Dean made the comment about Mary having faith as well. I'm also glad that it turned out to be a spirit rather than an angel manipulating the people to murder, since it being an angel really would have lowered Supernatural in my opinion.

All in all, this was a good episode - but I don't think it was particularly necessary.
  • Was it really worth it??

6.1
    This episode is mainly about religion and faith. I was expecting more of what Sam and Dean normally do. It was a little weird. However the episode was not that bad. It was worth watching. Dean's acting threw me off. He almost or even started to bring faith back into his life, which was a bit odd considering he's not into religion and all. The acting was not that bad it was mediocter not their best. It was a really slow moving eposide, at points, I feel asleep and was tempted to change the channel. worth watching - once...yes! watching it twice...NO!!
  • The boys deal with something that makes them question their faith.

This episode was a lot like "Faith" was last season but it was also different.

The boys go after what they think may be an angel that is telling people to kill the wicked. Sam believes that it may be a real angel but Dean is hesitant. He says that he has never come across anything in his hunts that supports the existance in angels and therefore they must not be real. While they are investigating the "angel" comes to Sam and tells him that he must kill someone. Dean of course will not allow this and when Sam shows Dean the person he is to kill Dean goes after the man while Sam sneaks into the local church to conduct a seance to see if he can call on the spirit of a recently deceased priest who Dean believes is the "angel" everyone is talking about. The seance does call the spirit of the priest who believes he was told by God to kill the wicked. The father of he church happens to come across Sam and his seance and ends up putting the spirit of the priest to rest with a prayer. Dean meanwhile is pursuing the man Sam was told to kill and after stoping him from doing something "wicked" like all of the other victims he takes off in a car and Dean pursues in the Impala. After a car chase the man ends up being killed anyway in a bizarre twist of fate that has Dean questioning his faith while Sam's faith is wavering due to the fact that the "angel" ended up just being an unrested spirit.

I really liked this episode despite the slow pace and lack of action. It really made you think and I love how the spirit was put at rest by the father of the church instead of Sam burning his bones. The car chase scene was awesome and I love how both boys faith was rattled by what happened.
  • This episode explores the questions many are afraid to have the answers to. Why are you so ready to believe? Why so ready to disbelieve? Is there really a higher power? This is the kind of scary that doesn't end when the episode does.

This has to be one of the best-written television episodes of all time, for any show. It is filled with delicious irony, and it courageously explores one of the most infamous of all supernatural lore-- angels.

In the city of Providence (you gotta love that), Sam and Dean have to determine whether there really is an angel at work, smiting evildoers, or whether it is the work of an angry spirit.

The deepest and probably most luscious of all the episode's ironies, is that of all the beings of myth and lore, angels are the ones that most people would be ready to believe exist. Ask most people on the street if they believe in shapeshifters, werewolves or demons that appear and disappear literally in puffs of black smoke, and you'll get a snort or a chuckle or a roll of their eyes. Ask about angels, and a lot of people will pause.

With Sam and Dean, we see two young men on very opposite ends of the spectrum of belief, though they both arrived at their respective end of the spectrum due to the pain of tragedy and loss, and due to fear for the future. From the beginning of the episode, belief in a higher power (and by association, angels), is a matter of faith for each of them. It comes down to a very simple thing: do you need proof or do you not. Sam does not need it, and appears to believe purely as a matter of faith. Dean needs that proof, and without it, appears to have zero faith.

The episode provides an uncomfortable and truly frightening conundrum with the question: how far are you willing to go if you believe you're doing God's will? Is it possible to find yourself on the path to evil, in a desperate attempt to keep your innate goodness?

Of course, the episode doesn't provide any answers to the big questions-- except when it comes to the angel/spirit smiting evil in Providence. Absolute answers aren't really the point, though. Faith can be shaken and it can be found again, even if just in a faint glimmer.

I disagree with other reviews that say the end is weak. I think it's perfect for showing that Sam's faith wasn't as absolute as he wanted it to be, and Dean's lack of it wasn't as complete as he'd believed it to be. In the end, neither of the boys shuts the door on faith in a higher power, nor do they fling it wide open. But they're more honest with each other and themselves when it comes to why.

This is a powerful episode no matter where you situate yourself on your own spectrum of belief, and that can be scary. It's also damned good storytelling.
  • This was really different from wut we usually encounter with this episode although it still was pretty good.

so there is this dead guy who thinks hes an angle and starts to send ppl who need redemption out to kill ppl who are evil or have done bad things and not been cought. Sam is one of these ppl who apperently need redemption. the boys defenetly get closer in this episod and dean starts to believe in God!
  • We se a different side to Sammy's character, much to Dean surprise

I enjoyed this ep. It showed the slight diffence in opinion that Sammy & Dean have, it also showed how althou brothers, working together in a field that the average Joe would find unbelievible they still dont know all there is to know about each other.

The look on Dean's face when Sam, stated that he prayed every day for a long while now was classic. A look of total amazement.

This ep was not as fast paced and dark as some in the past, but it was totally neccessary for the characters growth.

And it brought to the forefront the differnces in what they believe.

Mystic
  • Boring but necessary.

I liked the episode it's not one I'd watch over and over again, but it is one that was necessary for the development of the characters. I can easily see Dean developing faith even though he probably won't tell anyone. I thought the episode had a great meaning in showing that God's will can be done even when things seem to be unexplained. I guess that old saying 'God works in mysterious ways' played a large part in how this episode was written. I liked that the spirit in this episode wasn't evil, he was truly trying to help people. All and all, the episode was good... a bit boring but good.
  • Great episode revealed alot.

It was great how Sam and Dean talked about the angel. Dean also revealed something about what his mom believed and how after she died he didn't belive angels were looking over his familly it was so sad I couldn't believe it. Another great part was how Dean chased the guy and then saw him die. Dean came back to the motel to Sam. I never thought I would hear him say " I saw gods will". It was great! I also like how Dean acted.
  • Dean and Sam investigate what seems to be the work of an Angel of Vengence working through those in need of redemption, sending them off to kill people who have committed unpardonable sins.

Once again the writers of Supernatural take the backdrop of 'the hunt' to bring forth a story that reveals more to us about the complex nature of Sam and Dean Winchester and their connection to each other as brothers and warriors in the battle.

I think the most compelling thing that this episode brings to the table is something that we have seen alot of this season..and that is how much Dean believes in Sam. The one thing I have noticed and really admire the skills of the writers in presenting it to us in such a subtle way, not to mention the incredible acting talent of Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki, is that Dean is, when you come right down to it, not a leader, he is a follower. The subtle way that you see that while on the surface Dean seems to be the alpha male, it's actually Sam that is. Sam is the leader because Dean desperately needs something to believe in and to follow that he can see and know for sure has a tangible presence. For years the thing he believed in was their father, but that believe was rocked to it's foundations when John Winchester made a deal with a demon to trade his life, not really for Dean's but for a means to have Dean there to look after Sam.

I found The House of The Holy to be more than just a good vs evil issue or 'is there really a God' issue. I found it to be more of a metaphor about the changing relationship between Dean and Sam. About leadership and redemption. The 'angel' in this story was giving those who had led less than good lives the chance to redeem themselves by hunting down and killing real evil...which is a perfect allegory for what has happened with Dean and his father. John Winchester to whom Dean followed and hero worshipped his whole life gave (in Dean's own opinion of himself) his less than perfect son Dean a chance at 'redemption' by saving him from death to be there to protect and follow (in Dean's own opinion) John's perfect son Sam.

The ending car chase scene, the scene where Dean is doing, without question, what Sam wants him to do. Following the man Sam says is bad to keep him from killing that girl and Dean witnessing a 'devine intervention' was so well written. It was a revelation to Dean that there is something higher than what he can see. That there is something more to who he is than someone to be a follower.

That the angel turned out to be a vengeful spirit was well written too. Not once did it take away from the idea of a higher power, but it brought home that man has to be careful with the powers he is given. That Sam has to be careful with whatever it was the Demon wants him for..that Sam himself might be all on his own become the one to use it incorrectly without any influence from the demon at all. That he has to be careful not to become something he is not ready to be yet or should never be in the first place, not without someone there to balance him. Not without Dean there.

Very good episode, very well written and acted. Rock on Supernatural!
< 1 2 3