Supernatural

Hunteri Heroici

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Nov 28, 2012 on The CW

• Supernatural takes a step back

Ahhh Supernatural. A show that has always been pretty unique. It can do drama. It can do dark. It can even raise the devil. But something else it's always been able to do... is comedy. The French Mistake, every episode featuring the Trickster... I don't think I've ever watched a show that's prepared to take such risks, and for those risks to, every time, really work.

This episode was another shining example. A guy making the area around him like a cartoon? Sounds ridiculous, yet as usual Supernatural pulls it off. And does it shiningly.

Of course, the best thing about this episode was Cas. It's a tad ironic how the first half of season 8 has found much more to do with him than the first half of season 6 (a season in which he was still a star biller). This week, it focused on the comedy side of the character, which is one of Castiel's brilliant traits. This episode showed why having Cas as a full time Impala companion would just not work. He's always worked better as a powerful ally the boys call on from time to time, and whilst that means he doesn't feature as much as I'd like, it's the only way they can include him without continuously neutering him. And while this episode took a week off from the arc, it still dropped some more things to be interested in. Just who is Naomi? Just how powerful is she, and how can she stop Castiel from returning to heaven? Cas says he has no idea what has happened up in heaven since he vaporized all of Raphael's followers. Has Metatron taken over, replacing Michael and Raphael as some sort of dictator?

Another ongoing story was of course.... Sam. Obviously, this episode was supposed to be hitting us in the face with the, "don't live in an imaginary world theme," and here we saw that Sam was doing just that. You could tell Sam didn't really feel like her belonged there, and Amelia's dad saw it straight away. However, it takes a shock like a husband coming back from the dead to jolt Sam back into reality. So what happens now? Did Amelia choose her husband over Sam? If so, what was Sam doing in her house right at the start of the season?

So, in all a very enjoyable light episode, as always. Castiel continues to shine, even though I knew all the way through the episode that they would find a way to get him away from the boys by the end. Season 8 of Supernatural continues to impress and I'm very excited for next week, and a return of Benny!!!!