Supernatural

Meet The New Boss

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Sep 23, 2011 on The CW

• Welcome back boys!

Well, Igenuinelycannot fault this episode. I think it even tops "Sympathyfor the Devil," which was my favourite seasonpremierso far. Up until season 6, the first episodes where always superb, yet last year's felt like a bit of a let down. The story was slow and focused too much on Lisa and Ben (at least. now, they are gone.) But season 6 developed and became brilliant. Many say it's the weakest. I disagree. Sure, it didn't live up to the high of season 5, but it certainly comes second best. I really enjoyed the story arc of monsters and the Mother of All, and the fact that the show introduced loads of new things and developed while still remaining, at its core, Supernatural, is the main reason why it got a season 7. And wow... what a season this is shaping up to be.

I think this episodebenefitedso much from who was in it. Castiel, Crowley, Death and Lucifer; my favourite supernatural creatures all in one episode, each with their own agenda and their own story. Castiel's story is very tragic. He's been through so much in the name of a God who never answers his prayers, so has decided that its his job to sort out the wrongs in the world. It was clear from the start it would not end well for Cas. He was only an Angel and not even an Archangel at that. I hope that he comes back in some way. The fact that my favourite character is no longer a series regular has disappointed me, but again I saw it coming. Last year, with no Lucifer storyline, the writers seemed strained to find a way to include him. Thankfully, they rectified this in the season final, and I hope this isn't the last we see of Cas.

I also liked how the show is continuing its trend of introducing new things; Levianthans. Neither Angel or demon, yet so bad that God locked them away (why didn't he just destroy them? Or Lucifer for that matter?) Obviously the big bads of this season, I can't wait to see just how evil they are.

The other major storyline was, of course, Sam. The wall has come down in his head, and his hallucinations were fun. It was fantastic to see Lucifer again, even though what he's saying does not make any sense. If Sam's still in the pit, then the whole of season 6 is kind of confusing. His body was brought back, then his soul, except it wasn't? We know that everything that happened last year can't be all one big hallucination... so what's going on? Did Lucifer let Death think that he had Sam's soul? Lucifer has outsmarted Death before. Anyroad, with Sam seeing visions of Lucifer it opens up a Michael return as well, and Adam. Nobody seems to care about Adam. Poor guy.

So... overall. A brilliant start to what is shaping up to be a brilliant season. Supernatural isdefinitelyone of the best shows on TV. It keeps changing, keeps evolving, and keeps impressing. Bring on a season 8!!