Supernatural

Meet The New Boss

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Sep 23, 2011 on The CW

• A disturbing but powerful episode to lead us into season 7. (Warning for spoilers!)

This episode is possibly one of the most disturbing episodes of the series so far, and I loved every minute of it.

Misha portrays Castiel extremely well in this episode as a prime example of absolute power corrupts absolutely as he delivers his brand of righteous judgement throughout heaven and earth. But I believe his most powerful performance came at the end when the Leviathan's take over. The manic glee as he throws Dean and Bobby around and happily proclaims Castiel is dead is creepy but brilliant and as much as I hope Castiel eventually returns to redeem himself, I am looking forward to Misha portraying our Season 7 big bad, the Leviathan's, a bit more.

Of course, on the other side of the episode we have signs of Sam's hell memories resurfacing. Despite trying to protect Dean from more disappointment by telling him he's fine, Sam is silently suffering hallucinations like seeing hooks with bloody chunks in them and having chains wrapped around his throat like a noose. Extremely disturbing but for someone who's been to hell and back, it's to be expected.

Dean's powerless in this episode, unable to heal Sam and unable to get through to Castiel and so he focuses on fixing the Impala as it is one of the last, few things he is able to fix. It's heartbreaking to see such a strong character reduced to such a state and there's something very bitter in his every action as he moves about this episode and especially when he refuses Castiel's apology.

The guest stars in this episode were outstanding, three of my absolute favourites all rolled into one. Mark Sheppard returns as Crowley for a brief but enjoyable few minutes showing how far he has fallen since Castiel took over as god. Julian Richings returns as Death and I always adore the interaction between Dean and Death as he is one of the few beings terrifying enough to make even the great Dean Winchester shake in his boots.

However it is Mark Pellegrino's comeback as Lucifer which was possibly my favourite performance of all because he is perfect as Lucifer and whenever he and Jared Padalecki are in a scene together, I always love it. Sam's fear and Lucifer's glee are so well done and I look forward to seeing them together again in the future.

So all in all, a fantastic season opener and it makes me very excited about the rest of the season.

CW