Supernatural

Meet The New Boss

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Sep 23, 2011 on The CW

• Season 7 premiere.

It seems that everybody had a different idea of what Season 6 was. To some, it was a highly uneven effort that had moments worth praising but had no focus whatsoever. The problem was that the season started off focusing on Sam having no soul and quickly jumped over to Death putting up a wall and then onto Sam, the brothers' grandfathers looking for Purgatory and Castiel teaming up with Crowley to get souls. If you split those things into three different seasons, you have a pretty good show. Cram them into one and you have a fustercluck of massive proportions.

I'm not sure I'm convinced that the show is going to attempt to straighten things out here because the show was moving a mile a minute at times tonight, but there's still 21 episodes left of the season and a really good chance for it all to slow down and focus on some good ol' fashioned Monster of the Weeks.

The premiere picks up precisely where we left off: Castiel as God and the Winchesters and Bobby freaked out. Castiel ends up letting them live but takes off to begin smiting those who anger him. I think we need to give Misha Collins some respect: he did a great job here and has done an even greater job of adding multiple dimensions to the character of Castiel, which is difficult for what is supposed to be a character with only one personality.

Sam, Dean and Bobby spend most of the episode hanging around, listening to news reports about religious leaders being murdered by a man in a raincoat and Castiel goes even more off the reservation. He visits Crowley and lets him know that he'll be controlling the influx of souls into Hell. Finally, the group comes up with a good idea: harness Death and force him to kill Castiel.

I'm not one to spoil everything in reviews, as I think there needs to be some element of surprise, but let's just say that we get our new villain for the season and it's... a bit lackluster. I'm not sure who this guy is, but Misha Collins plays him perfectly.

Also, we get some development with Sam, and a pretty cool cameo by Mark Pellegrino as Lucifer, as he claims that maybe Sam is going crazy and that he hasn't been let out of Hell yet. It's a haunting idea but obviously not true. It would just render everything that's happened the past season or two moot. Either way, it's a weird development for Sam.

I think the season has a chance to rebound and have some great Monster of the Weeks. At one point, I would've complained about it, but there needs to be a balance. Seriously, imagine if the X-Files focused only on aliens all the time. We'd be burned out from the mythology. I feel that way about Supernatural. Since Season 5, we haven't had a decent string of Monster of the Weeks. Let's make that change.

TNT