Supernatural

Out With the Old

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Mar 16, 2012 on The CW

• Out with the old, more like out with the new!

After witnessing last nights episode I have one word on my mind. Fatigue. No I'm not talking Sam's choice of a "Triple Red-Eye" to keep him awake and away from Lucifer's torments. I'm talking the episode and series at this point.

SPOILER ALERT FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE REVIEW!

First we have ballerina who spins her self into oblivion her feet explode and faux blood (more than what could be in the human body) is sprayed all over the place, yet the shoes remain blood free. I would think maybe her brains would have turned to slush first and she simply would have dropped dead but whatever, more gore the better. With our heroes driving into town to investigate we see two kids in no real danger as Sam and Dean save them in typical last minute fashion. One girl has the cursed ballet slippers and another boy has his mother's antique Gramophone posess him into killing his mother. Why? We'l get to that later. So let's follow the girl first.

After her father drags her into an evidence locker (Bringing unauthorized persons into an evidence lockup even if it's your kid is wrong and I believe is against rules and regulations plus it's wrong period! Kids are unpredictible and if something catches their eye and they take it this could very well mean Johnny rapist goes free.) she is stricken by the shoes she then goes into the bathroom and finds the shoes are mysteriously there. She then puts them on and the shoes magically shrink to a perfect fit. Just then the boys rush in and pry the shoes off her, as she starts having an uncontrollable urge to dance her feet off. Put in some kicks to Dean's face for added comedy and you have a more humorous situation rather then terrifying. This leads Dean and Sam to an old antique shop where shocker shocker the man unknowingly sold cursed objects his mother had collected over the years. So we have two more on this list the gramophone, a cursed tea kettle and a "gentlemen's magazine".

So Sam and Dean split up to find each object after they fail to save a woman who decided to pour some hot cocoa in her mouth straight from the kettle and without the cocoa. Sam finds a boy about ready to kill his mother with a large butcher knife, while Dean finds his magazine in use. NUFF Said! This plot is no more than a lead in to what's really going on in Portland (yeah the story takes place in Protland sorry folks about not mentioning earlier.)

The big L are in town taken the shape of relators and buying up all of main street for some unknown purpose. In the middle of this buyout a store proprietor has the urge not to sell so what does Joyce (the boss) do? Well give him the handshake of typical Leviathan fashion one that spells DEATH! Then we see her assume his form and well use it to sign the deed over to her. GENIUS! So what to do with the body well they could eat him since that's what happened in the first few episodes or after monolouging on why the head honcho simply known as Dick doesn't want them eating his corpse simply lay him out as if he had a heart attack. They choose the later. Oh and not explain the purpoe for main street's buyout. Uggggh really cmon Sera and Co. in order for your Leviathan to be the least bit threatening at this point you have to give them a clear motive, or at least be terrifying have them eat people or torture them or something not seen in the show as of now. It's season 7 for crying out loud!

So with the help of Frank; the Bobby clone, who's more neurotic than surly, and cynical rather than witty and a real pill hacks into some datbases finds the real estate and everything over the past couple of months is in fact Leviathan related since it can all be traced back to Dick Roman as he owns it all. Sam is spotted by George the other bad guy and traces him back to the antique stand and notifies Joyce, who then insists she come along for the feeding. The L force the store owner to call our boys to lead then there, they follow the bait. Insert a pointless scene involving the owner and how George will kill then assume the form and misdirect our boys into a trap, and you have a setup to an interesting action sequence. One where George actually let's the boys win.

A tub of borax is under a desk which George has Sam dunk his head into. To distract Joyce who is pummeling Dean. Sam then slices and dices poor Joyce and George reveals how they are going to build a research center in the heart of main street to cure Cancer. Wait these murderous fiends are going to help us in the end now? WTF!!! Not believing it one bit. I know better however our heroes shutter to think what it could mean other than good. Let's not go into that one for too long though, let's not have this episode end on any satisfactory note. George asks to be let go and to keep Joyce's remains as he wants to eat her. Ok? So we then jump to the owner thanking the bros for saving him and with a uhaul with all the cursed objects Sam and Dean ride off to Frank's where they find his trailer empty in disarray and blood all over. End Scene!

This was a boring routine episode with no real danger to our heroes nor to the victims they did save. Mostly cause they were children. The Leviathan's themselves Joyce and George seemed more like comedy reliefs than actual threatening supernatural beasts. When I see Joyce and George I see Bulk and Skull from Power Rangers. The overall Leviathan plot thus far has been a total waste. Sera has been trying to build an arc with a mysterious motive but when your Leviathan baddies are simply Demons with more teeth and capitalist sensibilities without throwing something interesting to diversify them from demons, you dont care about the mystery. Plus do not give a twist that relies on misdirecting the viewer into thinking the Leviathan's are good that they only want to help. If a person is eaten by one of these creatures early on I doubt they are here on good intentions. Plus if that was true why the aquiring of Biggerson's resturants which have turned countless people into freaks of nature, if they are only here to help us. It's my guess that they plan on turning us into Leviathans or something better suit to their liking and killing the rest.

Also you should realize that you are in season 7 to keep the die-hards happy you have to push the envelope. Show a boy stab his mother or at least write in a scene detailing an attack before Sam comes in and saves the day. Detail some real danger here. Put children in real peril show the audience that even children arn't safe in this show, KILL one. It used to be in the first couple of season but afterwards this has stalled. Stop throwing in comedy to the action or fright sequences. How am I supposed to feel scared for a child in danger if I'm laughing at Dean getting kicked in the face repeatedly. Plus I feel the IQ of the characters has gone down 100 pts since they are not intelligent to realize how paper thin this plot is. Remember when the characters used to be self aware of their surroundings? Well not no more. The show has been growing old and stale and I fear the writers are suffering from fatigue. Not only that but more Die-Hard fans find themselves drawn away to other programs. They find it hard to watch these days. So it's fatigue on both parts.
TNT