Supernatural

Party On, Garth

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Mar 30, 2012 on The CW

• Bobby and Castiel

Great that Booby came back as a Ghost - readers of mycomments will see that I predicted it (wee-jee board pun intended)... shame that I wasn't quite right about castiel but I still think that Booby and castiel are Aces up the sleaves of the boys for a showdown with the Levianthans (actually a friendly Male Witch who once bonded a Leviathan for a few hours has shown the way)... cool... as episodes go - good, good episode bc as well as major plot advancement it used a "quirky" hunter as a foil for a good episode... not all hunters are Sasquatichs and Cavaliers... carry the torch guys, use the silver and salt... the bells the bells...
  • holy smoke

had goose bumps throughout the episode and actually cried at the ending. bravo!
  • Party On, Garth

Party On, Garth was a superb episode of Supernatural and I really enjoyed watching because Garth was funny, the creature was spooky in a "The Ring" sort of way and it seems as if Bobby is hanging by the brothers. The story was well written and intriguing. There was some good character development and plot progression for the characters as they each endure their own issues. I liked how Dean paid a Japanese cook to decipher the box and bless a sword for him. This was a cool story with some humor, action, and suspense. I look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!!!
  • Bobby is Superman.

The title may be misleading to some but to others if they think long and hard on the comparisons will fit naturally. Flashback to the year 1992. The offices of DC Comics under pressure from Warner Bros. put off the wedding o the century Clark Kent and Lois Lane and flustered for stories decided to kill off Superman, and throughout the next year thw wheels were set in motion to bring him back to life. The story was a ploy to boost sales and prolong a wedding issue.

Bobby's situation is pretty similar When Superman died protecting those he loved from an unstoppable menace he couldn't even hurt, Bobby died protecting his surrogate sons from Dick Roman the so far unstoppable Leviathan leader. Superman came back to life mere months after falling in battle, Bobby returned last night months after he died to a GSW to the head.

It seems to me that the writers pulled of what I call a "Death of Superman" moment. When the writing staff flushed for ideas kill off a major or supporting character in a way to boost ratings. Only to use that character's demise as a catalyst to fuel stories that will evetually brinag about his return the same year. Much like Superman the writers always planned to bring him back in some form ultimately leaving his monumental death and sacrifice sour. The impact and meaning is lessened.

For that ending alone I give this episode a 7 rating. It's convienient and ruins a monumental episode just months after it aired. Despite how I felt about this urban legend season 1 throwback (which was good) this ending will always leave a sour taste in my mouth.
  • Awesomefest!

-Ha! Awesome bit of continuity! Bobby: "No, Garth, not me the FBI, the real FBI! How are you still alive?" I love that a random crazy hunter introduced only by name in a gag one and a half seasons ago in Weekend at Bobby's later becomes a full-fledged awesome character.

-Telling ghost stories around a campfire in a Supernatural teaser? That's not going to end well.

-Haha, love the feathers from the disemboweled down vest floating around!

-Garth trying to act all badass and cool to the tune of Bell Biv DeVoe's Poison. And while wearing chucks with his police officer outfit!

-Going back to the woods at night where your brother was disemboweled? That's not going to end well either.

-Sam: "I wish I wasn't like the damn tape from The Ring. I wish I wasn't okay because I passed on the crazy." Nice reference to the Japanese horror movie, seeing as the Shojo pays homage to every ghost in every J-horror movie ever, including Samara in The Ring.

-"Corporal James Brown." Love that Garth obviously gets a kick out of playing dressups and shares Dean's affinity for cool aliases. Garth puts the fun in hfunting.

-Dean: "Invisible Ghost Werewolf?" Garth: "Why do you think I called for backup." Smart move Garth.

-Mr. Fizzles! Bwahahaha! I particularly love when Mr. Fizzles and Mr. Fitzgerald both give Dean identical "I told you so" looks.

-Whichever of the writers thought of a creature that can only be seen while drunk is a genius! All the drinking scenes were awesome. And spawned many fandom drinking games. Bet most of us were seeing Shojos by the end of the episode. (I would've liked even more drunken shenanigans, but executive producer Jim Michaels tweeted that was the maximum amount of drunken shenanigans that the network's Standards and Practices would let them get away with it.)

-Sam: "Can you even get drunk anymore? Isn't that like drinking vitamins for you?"

-The normally eloquent-and-erudite-when-sober Sam: "So he let that thing outta the box and it must've followed him to the place with the thingies."

-It's so awesome they go to a random chef at a Japanese restaurant for all their translation and spellwork needs.

-I love that for all that he's a spaz, Garth is actually a good hunter in his own way. He's smart enough to figure out Baxter had a child that no one knew about and brave enough to go off to save him even though totally defenseless against the Shojo. And completely pickled in tiny booze bottles.

-Larry, Curly and Moe rescue the janitor at the brewery. But they got her done in the end! With maybe a little help from an old friend?

-"What did I miss?" That's gonna be Garth's catchphrase.

-Finally, a Supernatural character not afraid to hug!

-Trivia Alert: this week's car is an AMC Pacer, which happens to uncoincidentally be the same car driven by Wayne and Garth in Wayne's World, from whence comes the title "Party On, Garth!"

-And now we get to the most awesome part yet. I have no words to describe how awesome it was, but I'm betting the awesomeness of it jumped right out at you and you don't need any explanations or embellishments from me:

-BOBBYYYY!!!!!!!

-"I'm right here, idjit!"

-"Balls!"

-A few things made that moment even more awesome, aside from the total awesomeness that is BOBBYYYY!!!! One is that they simultaneously foreshadowed Ghost Bobby while also throwing out red herrings to make us believe the guys were imagining it due to their grief. So when BOBBYYYY!!!! actually does appear, it is both a climax they have built up to, and one that is unexpected.

-The second thing that increased the awesomeness exponentially is the lengths to which the cast and crew went to disguise the fact Jim Beaver was working on the show again. For those of you not part of the fun and games that is Twitter, Jim threw up an elaborate smokescreen about working on an abominable snowman movie in the mountains of British Columbia, complete with tweetpics of frozen toilet seats, fictitious crew members in icicle-trimmed parkas, and blizzards on mountainsides. He really pulled the frozen wool over our eyes! He even exchanged several tweets with Supernatural crew saying they hoped to meet up in Vancouver and how much they missed each other. Right after the episode aired, Jim tweeted that someone really should make that abominable snowman movie. They basically punk'd the whole fandom--and a fandom full of spoilerhounds at that!

-Hahaha! Did you notice in the end credits? "Mr. Fizzles as Himself"

Really looking forward to the next episode on April 20. Hope we see more of Bobby, Garth and Cas!

• pfff...

...that was a creepy episode, liked it! :)
  • garth...

I love Garth, a tolal nerd, but they found a way to (try) to make him seem cool. He made a reference to bobby when he said "hope the fire did the trick" but they never told that Bobby was cremated....AND..... Dean magicly retrieved his sword as It slid across the floor to him! Could this be yet another hint, that Bobby lives!.......Wait for it...wait for it...and there he is!....Edgit! I hope they dont run out of story lines.I could watch supernatural forever!
  • Party on Wayne

One awesome episode. Garth is such a dork. Hilarious, but still a dork. The creature they were fighting reminded me of The Ring. Great twist, on the only way to see her was to be drunk. I liked how Bobby made a "non-appearance" appearance. I was hoping to see him back. I'm not to sure why he was "killed" off. Definitely looking forward to the next episode where they can actually see him in that "haunted mansion" of sorts. The end was awesome when Sam and Dean drove away in a Gremlin, like Wayne and Garth drive (although not yellow), but when Dean goes back in and it seems like he sees Bobby, and says "there you are baby", picks up the flask and leaves. Then Bobby says "I'm right here you idget". Loved it.
  • good time!

As already said this before eps makes me remember when frightened ghosts in the supernatural, who does not remember "Bloody Mary" (one of the eps I'm most scared of supernatural). But in the end the story was very good and bring Japanese legends (the most scary as the "Scream") was a touch of class in the series (which has been redeeming these last eps). Another point you raised the series was to bring this character garth (missed that kind of characters who cheered the series, save ash and unbeatable Gosth facers) hope to see more on him next season. And yes the end we all got goose bumps around the bobby, see him calling the dean idjit is priceless. but the question begs: if sam put the board if they cremated bobby, and if they can not see him, even with such evidence, the holding bobby?, what kind of agreement he made with reaper? there that just want answers pity that it will take HEllHiatus!

kisses cau
  • Boy we could sure use Bobby right about now!

This was a surprisingly tight ep. Though I gotta say the whole, everybody being drunk thing kinda makes me really happy to embrace sobriety! However, it was totally fitting since the creature turned out to be a spirit spirit. The first thing I thought of when I saw the Japanese writing on the box was Bobby and how useful he could've been through this case, then to find out that Garth actually forced Dean to address some of the 'coincidences' he's been experiencing was really cool.

Course finding out Sam did the talking board bit was a nice little reassurance that it's not just Dean losing his mind, but of course we know Sam hasn't exactly been on an even mental keel this season either.

I swear I almost cried at the end. There were tears. Thanks for that Kast and Krew.

Special love to all our boys, Jensen, Jared, yeah of course Jim too... maybe even a pat on the head for Garth "What'd I miss"?

Thanks for all your hard work guys. Nicely done!
  • wow amazing

this episode was aweome loved garth cool character sam and dean awesome as always can't wait until april 20th supernatural is an awesome show.