Supernatural

Party On, Garth

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Mar 30, 2012 on The CW

• Awesomefest!

-Ha! Awesome bit of continuity! Bobby: "No, Garth, not me the FBI, the real FBI! How are you still alive?" I love that a random crazy hunter introduced only by name in a gag one and a half seasons ago in Weekend at Bobby's later becomes a full-fledged awesome character.

-Telling ghost stories around a campfire in a Supernatural teaser? That's not going to end well.

-Haha, love the feathers from the disemboweled down vest floating around!

-Garth trying to act all badass and cool to the tune of Bell Biv DeVoe's Poison. And while wearing chucks with his police officer outfit!

-Going back to the woods at night where your brother was disemboweled? That's not going to end well either.

-Sam: "I wish I wasn't like the damn tape from The Ring. I wish I wasn't okay because I passed on the crazy." Nice reference to the Japanese horror movie, seeing as the Shojo pays homage to every ghost in every J-horror movie ever, including Samara in The Ring.

-"Corporal James Brown." Love that Garth obviously gets a kick out of playing dressups and shares Dean's affinity for cool aliases. Garth puts the fun in hfunting.

-Dean: "Invisible Ghost Werewolf?" Garth: "Why do you think I called for backup." Smart move Garth.

-Mr. Fizzles! Bwahahaha! I particularly love when Mr. Fizzles and Mr. Fitzgerald both give Dean identical "I told you so" looks.

-Whichever of the writers thought of a creature that can only be seen while drunk is a genius! All the drinking scenes were awesome. And spawned many fandom drinking games. Bet most of us were seeing Shojos by the end of the episode. (I would've liked even more drunken shenanigans, but executive producer Jim Michaels tweeted that was the maximum amount of drunken shenanigans that the network's Standards and Practices would let them get away with it.)

-Sam: "Can you even get drunk anymore? Isn't that like drinking vitamins for you?"

-The normally eloquent-and-erudite-when-sober Sam: "So he let that thing outta the box and it must've followed him to the place with the thingies."

-It's so awesome they go to a random chef at a Japanese restaurant for all their translation and spellwork needs.

-I love that for all that he's a spaz, Garth is actually a good hunter in his own way. He's smart enough to figure out Baxter had a child that no one knew about and brave enough to go off to save him even though totally defenseless against the Shojo. And completely pickled in tiny booze bottles.

-Larry, Curly and Moe rescue the janitor at the brewery. But they got her done in the end! With maybe a little help from an old friend?

-"What did I miss?" That's gonna be Garth's catchphrase.

-Finally, a Supernatural character not afraid to hug!

-Trivia Alert: this week's car is an AMC Pacer, which happens to uncoincidentally be the same car driven by Wayne and Garth in Wayne's World, from whence comes the title "Party On, Garth!"

-And now we get to the most awesome part yet. I have no words to describe how awesome it was, but I'm betting the awesomeness of it jumped right out at you and you don't need any explanations or embellishments from me:

-BOBBYYYY!!!!!!!

-"I'm right here, idjit!"

-"Balls!"

-A few things made that moment even more awesome, aside from the total awesomeness that is BOBBYYYY!!!! One is that they simultaneously foreshadowed Ghost Bobby while also throwing out red herrings to make us believe the guys were imagining it due to their grief. So when BOBBYYYY!!!! actually does appear, it is both a climax they have built up to, and one that is unexpected.

-The second thing that increased the awesomeness exponentially is the lengths to which the cast and crew went to disguise the fact Jim Beaver was working on the show again. For those of you not part of the fun and games that is Twitter, Jim threw up an elaborate smokescreen about working on an abominable snowman movie in the mountains of British Columbia, complete with tweetpics of frozen toilet seats, fictitious crew members in icicle-trimmed parkas, and blizzards on mountainsides. He really pulled the frozen wool over our eyes! He even exchanged several tweets with Supernatural crew saying they hoped to meet up in Vancouver and how much they missed each other. Right after the episode aired, Jim tweeted that someone really should make that abominable snowman movie. They basically punk'd the whole fandom--and a fandom full of spoilerhounds at that!

-Hahaha! Did you notice in the end credits? "Mr. Fizzles as Himself"

Really looking forward to the next episode on April 20. Hope we see more of Bobby, Garth and Cas!