Supernatural

Shut Up, Dr. Phil

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Oct 21, 2011 on The CW

7.9
  • Best Marital Spat Ever!

The fight between husband and wife was priceless for several reasons:

-It featured Charisma Carpenter and James Marsters. Both were excellent in their roles, and I have only watched Angel for the first time just recently (Buffy was before my time), so I was thrilled to see them.

-It was between two witches who have been married for centuries, so they dragged up past trespasses dating back to the Renaissance.

-Two witches in a marital meltdown led to some awesome gory and funny deaths as they take out their fits of jealousy and revenge on the people around them.

-The marriage counsellors were played by Sam and Dean. As Dean predicted, he sucked at it, much to my amusement. (Feather clamps?) Sam is more talky-feely, so he was a little better at it, and managed to reconcile the couple so their relationship troubles would stop taking out collateral damage.

-The fighting couple kept casually flicking their marriage counsellors around the room while they were hashing it out. It's one of those Supernatural scenes I really love, like when the old couple tied to chairs look on in shock and incredulity as Death and an Angel duke it out in their living room. I get a big kick out of the quirky incongruity of it all, the ridiculous spin on a serious situation. The fact two hunters are acting as marriage counsellors to two witches who keep pounding them with their powers throughout the counselling session really tickled me.

Speaking of being tickled, is there something wrong with me that when a man enters a port-a-potty or a woman bites into a cupcake, I'm all "teeheehee" with anticipation of the gory possibilities? (Nailgun and beating heart—did not see those coming.) I also got a kick out of Jennifer's "hearts in my cupcakes" meltdown, and Dean's "Should I slug her?" to Sam's "Give it a second."

Yep, this episode was fun!