Supernatural

Shut Up, Dr. Phil

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Oct 21, 2011 on The CW

7.9
  • Great guest stars, badass big bads and thrilling therapy.

One of the many things I love about the show is how they will run psychological depths under it without melodramatic chick flick moments—I hate melodramatic chick flick moments. So I'm happy they will get the point across with pithy sarcastic guyspeak, like "Unemployment? My bad" rather than an emotionally overwrought "Guilt is eating me alive!!!" I do love my brotherly moments, so I really liked the two scenes where Sam is trying to get Dean to open up. "It's okay, Dean. You can unload. That's kinda what I'm here for." And I also like that, true to character, Dean is a really tough nut to crack, and Sam will have to keep trying to pry him open until finally Dean breaks and we have the traditional roadside confession.

I loved the contrast between the therapy of the two pairs in this episode: with the Starks it was funny, they talked and they worked it out, whereas with the Winchesters, it was serious, they didn't talk and they didn't work it out.

As many others have said, the marriage counseling scene was hilarious. It was a casting coup to have the Starks played by Charisma Carpenter and James Marsters. They were both so great in their roles and had such good chemistry, I hope they come back for an encore. I was thrilled watching Sam and Dean try to play therapists—not their strong suit, and they had to do it while taking magic punches, but they pulled it off.

I love the new big bad—the Leviathans are cunning trackers, they are organized and strategic, they pour nacho cheese over their victims and keep a body in the trunk for roadtrip snacks, they have no known vulnerabilities, and they are coming after Sam and Dean. The hunters are about to become the hunted. I am really looking forward to seeing how the Leviathans go after the boys.

By the way, what really enhanced my viewing pleasure this week is that a new channel, Metro 14 (out of Montreal), just started airing Supernatural on Fridays at 9 pm instead of the CW. And unlike the CW, Metro 14 does not run a single bottom-of-the-screen promo—it doesn't even paste on a logo in the corner. So Canadians can now enjoy Supernatural with a completely clear screen, free of all the annoying disruptions and distractions. I had been trying to wait until the following Wednesday to watch it on Space (which also does not plaster on any promos) but it's really hard waiting the five extra days. So I'm ecstatic I can watch it on Fridays without enduring the CW's disfiguring of the show. Metro 14 is available on Videotron in Quebec, Rogers in Ontario, and on Bell across Canada.

Another thing that increased my viewing pleasure was having seen the hilarious outtake of the motel room scene. It was a lot of fun to see where the boys--Jared playing it goofy and Jensen somehow managing to keep playing it straight--had gone off script with ad libs, and where they'd incorporated the lines into their bit. If you haven't seen it yet, it's here: