Supernatural

Southern Comfort

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Nov 07, 2012 on The CW

• Winchester, Texas Ranger

Alas, Garth returns this time more bearable and quirky than ever but with the added twist of being the "new Bobby," helping hunters as an encyclopedia of how to slay such and such monster. The Winchesters encounter him investigating a town where a woman killed her husband in a blind rage that she couldn't remember afterwards and it being about her husband going to the prom with another girl almost forty years earlier. The brothers suspect a vengeful ghost but it keeps affecting random people and doesn't fit the pattern. Garth deduces that it's a spectre which is a little different in that it attaches to an object and keeps wreaking havoc after they burn the body of the Unknown civil war soldier. The montage to Soundgarden's "Fell on Black Days" to the transference of the penny was unnecessary but I liked the song being there so much that I was able to overlook it. When a cop has the penny and Dean trash talks the spectre it passes the penny onto Dean and he holds Sam and Garth at gunpoint and vents all about how Sam had left him to rot for his year in purgatory and leaving him for a girl and I really felt for Dean finally getting to vent his feelings at Sam and Garth getting him to calm down was utterly predictable. They melt down the penny and the spectre is gone but Sam makes it crystal clear that if Dean keeps giving him crap he will no longer be along for the ride anymore to which Dean reluctantly agrees. Dean not letting Garth be "Bobby" was good especially how cringe inducing the usage of "idgit" and "balls" Bobby's signature phrases. Sam's flashbacks with Amelia were forced and the spectre being killed by his brother was forced and cliche even for this show. Not a bad episode overall, it was good to see Garth get further developed and is much less annoying than last season. Hopefully we can get back to Kevin soon since I'm utterly curious about what's up with him and his mom now. Also Sam pointing out the fallacy of Dean's logic of working with Benny with his killing of Sam's friend creature last year as paradoxical.