Supernatural

Sympathy for the Devil

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Sep 10, 2009 on The CW

• goodgood

Goodgood
  • A new season, new tricks and some new characters spiced up with old acquaintances... Supernatural season 5, here we go!

I think this was a rather good start to the new season, with plenty of references to the ending of season 4. It also "caught up" with events that people may or may not have forgotten from last season - and also forced us to think back further when an old character was re-introduced to us.

While nothing special happened in this episode, it tied past events together while moving forward, showing us Lucifer's next move, Dean's answer to the Angels - and the difficulties in Dean and Sam's relationship.

Top moments were Castiel kicking ass and the well constructed scenes with Nick, who is somehow special and attracting Lucifer's attention.

I must also note that representing a Wincest writing fangirl was totally awesome! I don't know how many viewers know about fanfiction - or slash fanfiction - but that was one totally hilarious scene!

I hope this season will have many more awesome episodes to show us.
  • The boys get zapped out of the chapel, Castiel is indeed not dead and supposedly Dean is Michael's vessel. Zach tries to get him to say yes, and Lucifer circles Nick because he needs a vessel.

I loved it. We find out Dean is Michael's vessel and just how twisted Zach can get when he wants someone to do his bidding. I love that scene where Dean just continues to say no even though Zach makes things worse and worse for him. Not only that but it sets up the free will theme running through the season magnificantly.

I know a lot of people that are not happy with Rachel Miner's Meg but honestly, I think they should stuff it. We found out way back in Season 1 that demons were going to be able to possess multiple bodies, and that is one of the great things about this show. You never know when a demon is gonna pop up or into whom. Yeah, I loved Nikki Aycox as Meg but Rachel has done a wonderful job and I think those critics need to back off a bit ... A demon isn't going to be the same in another person's body, you can expect that from every actor that plays the same demon. If those people don't like it then they should be mad that Jared played Meg as well, to which I say BAH! Jared was awesome when he was possessed, he pulled it off and then some. I really hope my view of this gives people a better understanding for Rachel. It's not always easy to step into another's actor's shoes with a well established character. I think some fans are just being too damn picky.

Anyway over all loved it! These are just my thoughts on the episode! =D
  • So Lucifer has arisen and the apocalypse is nigh as the fifth season of the CW's superlative Supernatural begins.

So Lucifer has arisen and the apocalypse is nigh as the fifth season of the CW's superlative Supernatural begins. After having bowled over just about every critic under the sun with a truly monumental 2008/09 year, which saw the programme transform itself from occasionally insightful guilty pleasure to dark, twisted, mature, considered, absolute-must-see television, Eric Kripke is now faced with the unenviable task of maintaining the momentum, surpassing all of our lofty expectations and providing the mother of all pay-offs to the season-spanning narrative of the decade. The writing staff essentially spent year four laying the foundations for what is to come, moving the players into position for the 'final showdown', if you will, so they really have one hell of a lot to live up to. And on the evidence of 'Sympathy for the Devil', the series five premiere (neat pun, by the way), it seems a little like they may already be buckling under the pressure.

The episode is by no means a bad one. Kripke's script is a roller coaster ride of quick thrills, dramatic tension and fan-pleasing 'squee!'s that keeps you glued to the screen throughout, waiting for the next revelation. The interplay between Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki is absolutely spot on once again, demonstrating that no amount of time apart can negate the very palpable chemistry that exists between the two. Sam and Dean's two-handers, however brief, steal the show, and all parties do a highly impressive job of subtly delineating the undercurrent of unspoken tension that now permeates their relationship. While Dean's ultimate rebuttal of Sam comes as no surprise, it is a thoroughly logical result of the younger Winchester's actions and fits in perfectly with our perceptions of the characters. The scene is beautifully underplayed by both parties; there are no raised voices or aggressive tones, simply resignation and disappointment. Consequently, the emotional gravitas of the situation is greatly amplified, and one is left with the ambivalence of Dean's rightful moral indignance, weighed against the horror and remorse that Sam so evidently feels. It's a messy dilemma and one that the viewer experiences with just as much investment as the characters.

Kripke also demonstrates his masterful command of suspense by making the very bold, and wise, decision to slowly and methodically introduce Lucifer to his audience. While his name has been bandied about since the early hours of season three ('Sin City', to be precise), his actual identity has always remained a mystery; however, season four's concentration on the attempt to free him from Hell has positioned the character on such a lofty pedestal that a quick reveal would arguably fall rather flat. Instead of presenting us with an actor and asking us to buy into his representation, Kripke cautiously feels his way around the issue, using the concept of the 'human vessel' to lengthen the process of his incorporation. Such a move sells the character as a threat to the stability of the show's world to a far greater extent than if he were simply to pop out of Hell, say a few "hello"s and asphyxiate the nearest homo sapien. The process makes him all the more frightening, since he needs our permission to use one of us and, evidently, this requires the subtle use of persuasion. The individual that Lucifer has targeted is expertly characterised by Kripke as a fairly run-of-the-mill guy who has been struck by the most horrifying tragedy, which gives considerable credence to his ultimate decision to let the angel in. The viewer is able to understand his reasons, to feel his pain, to empathise with him, and this, in turn, makes the narrative strand's denouement all the more terrifying and tragic. Cleverly, this will impact upon our perception of Lucifer in the weeks to come, as the preface will make our emotional responses to the character highly ambiguous. Lost's Marc Pallegrino is predictably fantastic in the role too; his casting is a stroke of genius as the actor's considerable versatility and ability to maintain an air of underlying mystery will undoubtedly pay dividends in the future. And it's worth also giving a mention to Bellamy Young, who does a stellar job as Lucifer manifesting himself as Nick's deceased wife Sarah, delivering her lines with chilling calmness and serenity. This entire sequence of scenes is just wonderful, quietly and meticulously creating something deliciously unnerving.

Unfortunately, the decision to hold back on Lucifer's inauguration into society, to be narratalogically calculated rather than abrupt, seems to have had an adverse effect on the rest of the episode. In refusing (rightfully, this reviewer believes) to get straight down to brass tacks, Kripke essentially robs Sam and Dean of a plot with which to entertain themselves; the logical thing for them to do, in the wake of Lucifer's ascension, would be to smite the bastard. To have him searching for a vessel for an entire episode requires that the Winchester brothers be side-lined, or at least given some other form of distraction to deal with. However, rather than have them concentrate on one plot development, Kripke bogs them down in a veritable quagmire of swerves and revelations which simply aren't given the time and attention that they deserve. It feels rather like he suddenly realised that he had no story to tell, panicked and began throwing things at the narrative in the hope that they would stick. So, Sam and Dean are magically whisked onto a plane to escape the explosion caused by Lucifer's ascension, and then, within seconds, it's hurtling to the ground because of this. Cut to title card (nowhere near as good as season four's by the way, but then, it was never going to be, was it?) and once we come back, the brothers are in the Impala, practically unscathed. The jump is too great and the cut too intrusive, which damages the flow of the story. Then we have the illustrious Michael sword which is introduced and then brushed to one side within the space of a few scenes, as we learn that Dean himself is the object (or rather, Michael's vessel). This reveal should be absolutely huge as it has the potential to greatly impact upon the ongoing narrative, but its significance gets lost amongst the bravado and bluster of the character's interactions with Zachariah (all the insults and quips feel overwrought through the whole episode, grafted on rather than arising naturally from the plot) and later, Castiel's miraculous resurrection. Now sure, this clearly has implied significance that is ripe for explanation in a future episode (is God himself responsible?) but it really does feel like something of a deux et machina, however ironic that may be. Throw in Bobby's demonic possession, which feels far too hurried and is far too conveniently overcome, Meg's abrupt, practically throw-away return, a case of 'blink and you'll miss it' when it should be afforded significant fanfare, and the highly unnecessary 'fangeek' (really guys, does every representation of a 'fan' of a television show have to be this cumbersome, ludicrous and insulting?) and you've got an over-abundant recipe, trying too hard to please.

'Sympathy for the Devil' certainly has much going for it. Kripke's script deftly sets the scene for the season, introducing the much-lauded 'biggest of all bads' into the Supernaturalverse in a pleasingly methodical and terrifying fashion. Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles return to their roles with the greatest of ease and the episode's emotional drama between the two brothers is both moving and believable. The plot generally moves along at a satisfyingly brisk pace, maintaining the tense momentum generated by the concept of the apocalypse, but this also seems to work to its detriment. At times, it feels like there is simply too much going on, that there are too many revelations and developments being thrown at the viewer, and as such they threaten to lose their dramatic impact. Sequences like the re-introduction of Meg, the 'Michael sword' explanation and Castiel's resurrection feel fleeting when they should be shocking, and as a result they fall a little flat. Nevertheless, this remains an enjoyable instalment and one that demonstrates much promise for the future.
  • Brotherhood of the sword

Well, now, I'll be mucho impressed if the season can follow through on the promise made in this hour: Armageddon (Four Horsemen n'all). A New season brings with it new titles, new Road So Far music (which I'm not entirely loving...) and BIG AMBITION. Lucifer has left the building, gone and found himself a unique vessel and gatecrashed earth, it simply cannot get bigger than this.

Normally, I wouldn't be the fondest of Supernatural Premiere episodes, but this one has plenty to chew on and mull over, it almost warrants a second viewing. Even from last year's finale, so much has changed within this hour; it takes everything to a much darker place. I mean, you can't trump The Devil as a Big Bad!

Becky said it best, Sam has a firm…I mean, er, I love what the show has done to its mythology, having the angels act as bad, if not worse, than the demons themselves. Zachariah is a sadistic feather flinger, isn't he? Alistair would have done well to take a few notes from his book of torture: broken legs, removing lungs and stage four stomach cancer, this angel holds no punches.

I really enjoyed the scenes with Lucifer explaining his side of the story. Firstly, I really got a kick out of his apparition being a woman. Secondly, this show is so warped, it has warriors of God behaving demonically, while Lucifer comes across as an almost sympathetic figure here. This show has balls.

The brothers are at an interesting crossroads, and it's only right that they cannot go back to the way things used to be. Throughout the episode Sam attempted to apologize, hoping to evoke some sort of emotion from Dean, but the big fight that usually ends in man-tears and a group hug never comes. Instead, the episode ends with the brothers fizzling out. It's an off-beat ending that's surprisingly effective.

--Additional Thoughts--

+ I was a little worried when Dean thought Ruby was back, I'm so relieved to see Meg again (even more so now that she'll have a few actresses to possess as opposed to season 4s Ruby fiasco, although I'll miss her original meat-sack).

+ Is it me or did Jenson sound rather horse, almost husky, but definitely deeper than usual? His line delivery felt a little off in places…

+ Glad to see Misha in the cast. Why not Bobby, though? + If this is the last season, I wonder if we'll see a few familiar faces? I hope so!

+ Is Cass working for Anna? If he died, did he go directly to the head-honcho?

Overall, a terrific start to the season!
  • Lucifer has risen, so what happens next ???

At last, season 5 in the UK, fantastic, so yes I know I'm way behind in whats happening but a couple of things
    Does Sam know that Dean broke the first seal ?,and
    does Dean know that it was Castiel who let Sam out? Sorry if these questions have already been asked and answered, but like I said the Uk is just a tad behind. Anyway back to the episode, just awesome , loved it, that was short and concise wasn't it? Loved everything about it but please don't let Bobby be in that chair too long and would someone please off Zachariah, what a completely loathesome individual, Angel or not, at last Castiel actually kicked some serious butt, about time, so here's to the next episode for more of the same, looking forward to it especially after the way this one ended, love those boys.
  • After a long much anticipated wait, I can't help but feel overwhelmed.

Now don't get me wrong, I enjoyed this episode, but it just feels like a lot has happened and I don't even know where to begin. The end of the world, and I can't see things getting better. Lucifer and the Angels are in a battle? Is it wrong to think humanity stands no chance? Probably a bit pessimistic, we must have something to help us, but it just doesn't seem like we stand a chance, at least not on our own. But it does pose a new question, who really is the bad guy, the Angles are not exactly the lovey dovey ones we all once believed. This show definitely put a new spin on them. How far is too far, and have they crossed the line? That's something I ask myself again after this episode. The interesting and scary thing is, this episode sheds a bit of light on Lucifer as well, but is it all a lie, or is he really just misunderstood. Would make sense seeing what other angles have done, maybe he just went 1 step above what they were willing to do. Hard to really know what is real and what is not after we found out how badly Sam was used.
  • Lucifer has risen, all hell is gonna break loose.

Season 5 starts off with Sam and Dean looking for Castiel, they go to Chuck's place where they find out that the ark angels have killed him. Zachariah shows up and tells Dean it's time to kill Lucifer before he finds his vessel. Chuck has a vision that the sword of Michael is on earth, Bobby tells them that he was powerful and that if they could find the sword then they should be able to defeat the devil. Dean finds out where the sword could be but not until Bobby punches Dean's light's out, a demon has got inside of him so he stabs himself to get it out. Sam and Dean get Bobby to the hospital, Zachariah shows up and tells Dean he is Michael sword and is the one to defeat Lucifer. Zachariah threatens him by breaking Sam's legs, Castiel shows up and kills the angels and puts something in the boys to prevent the ark angles from finding them. Lucifer has already started picking his vessels.
  • Lucifer has risen...the apocalypse is here. The boys better get their act together if they want to get out of this one.

The season premiere started with a bang...then a OMG...and then a huh?

I have to admit I got a bit confused when they went from the plane to the car. I was afraid I missed something. The rest of the episode was great. I really don't like those angels and was so glad when Cas came back and kicked their butt. I knew Bobby was a demon as soon as he turned up though I don't know how he managed to get possessed after all he's been through. And Meg's back. That girl really doesn't know how to stay dead. It was funny that Sam picked her out straight away. I thought it might have been Bella.

It wasn't the best episode but they had to fit so much information in that I think they did a great job for the time they had. Can't wait for the next episode.
  • First installment of what looks to be a rocker season! Can't wait for more and we haven't even started yet!

The writers are continuing with the plotline of the previous season, where you don't really have any good guys or bad guys. Angels, demons, apostate angels, hunters and innocents, everyone plays a part but it is not defined by moral strongpoints, only by their goals and ambitions. Perhaps the apostate angels and the hunters have the most clearly defined "moral agendas" in the show, while angels and demons behave pretty much in the same way, issuing a destructive war against eachother, not caring for the consequences.

So after all that I was extremely curious to see how Lucifer would be depicted. I wasn't in the least bit disappointed. No cheesy cliches were used, no monsters, growling, digitally manipulated voices or overdone horror music. In fact, Lucifer didn't even use fear or threats. He came in the form of a loved one, and simply stated the reason for every human to doubt the existence of God: if God is there and he really cares, why do all the bad things keep happening? Why is the world like this? Lucifer's rage and frustration at God identifies with that of humans.
    The scenes with Nick and Lucifer were effortlessly spooky, and the whole sequence was amazing.

That said, I love Dean's give-them-hell attitude even though it's pointless to resist the facts. Two human hunters can't possibly stop the Apocalypse, nomatter how committed they are. Which is something that Dean admits himself at the end of the episode. Castiel will play a significant part in helping the situation, which is cool because I love both the actor and the character, and want to see more of him. Bobby gets injured and I have to wonder, will he spend the whole season in a wheelchair? Doesn't sound like Bobby to sit in a chair while the Apocalypse is taking place... Would like to see his legs fixed at some point early in the plot.

Sam and Dean are having intense issues, something which will culminate in the next episode. Fingers crossed for that one!
  • The Apocalypse is here and it looks like it's going to be awesome.

Unlike previous seasons the episode picks up right where the previous one ended (a few seconds before even) and the first question that is addressed is how do Sam and Dean survive their initial confrontation with Lucifer? Considering Castiel burnt out peoples eyes when they looked at his true form you would assume Lucifer would be even worse. And indeed he was, with the door to the room being blown through by the light. Then Sam and Dean somehow ended up on an airplane, only to see a giant blast of energy come from the ground. There were more than a few similarities to Lost, but whether intentional or not, it worked brilliantly.

So with the brothers out of harms way for the moment they could regroup which meant going to find Castiel. I was disappointed that we only got to see the aftermath of the battle between Cass and the (or many as was implied in Lucifer Rising) Arch Angel. Considering Mischa Collins had been bumped up to series regular I didn't really think he was dead but it was interesting to see how they'd address that. Before that though the guys were visited by an overexcited fan of "Carver Edlund's" Supernatural books. This was the only real weak point in the episode for me. Chuck's episode in season 4 was superb, as it started as a load of great in-jokes that ended up superbly working with the show's mythology. However here it felt unnecessary. While Becky's erotic fan-fiction was funny, it felt out of place and like that joke had already been done. The line about it being a good idea to add Angels to the mythology also fell flat for me, like they were trying a bit too hard with the in-jokes.

Still like I said that was the only real misstep in the episode. From there there was some great stuff with a very emotional scene between Bobby and Sam before the reveal he was possessed and the return of Meg. The demon mislead is one that's used a lot, but it always manages to work nicely. Bobby managing to fight the demon and stab himself was reminiscent of John doing the same thing with Azazel in season 1 and was an excellent moment. I'm not quite sure about the return of Meg. While she was good in season 1 and it's nice to tie the story into earlier seasons she felt a bit unnecessary. Plus I didn't think the actress that played her was very good, of course I don't know if she'll continue to play Meg now that she escaped from her.

While Dean and Sam's story was going on Lucifer was circling his vessel in an attempt to get him to accept him. The scenes were incredibly creepy and very well done. While I knew that Lost and Dexter's Mark Pellegrino would be playing Satan this season I did hope we'd see some part of his true form. And I guess we did in a way. We saw a huge glowing light which I think is meant to be pretty much them. Well if demons are black smoke why not have Angels be glowing lights? A lot of effort was put into why it had to be Nick who accepted Lucifer and enough time was spent on him to make him sympathetic without taking too much screentime away from the main cast.

And while I did complain earlier about not showing the fight where Cass died, there was still some great action here. The best fight being Castiel's return where he took out two Angels. The scene that preceded it was very brutal as Zachariah began mutilating Sam and Dean. Castiel's rescue was both a great fight scene and a great moment in the story as well as setting up a very exciting character. Again Supernatural shows its genius by having a seemingly unsolvable mystery make perfect sense. It worked brilliantly with the reveal of Angels in season 4 and that it was seemingly God who saved Sam and Dean and resurrected Castiel was fantastic.

Of course it wasn't all story and action, there was a good bit of character work too. While I didn't think Bobby would die, from an artistic perspective it's better that he's been significantly injured, in this case apparently wheelchair bound. They've never managed to take out a demon with the knife without killing the host too, so if he'd just walked away from that injury (maybe a poor choice of words there) it would've been a bit of a cop out.

But the main scene was the very end one where Dean told Sam that he couldn't trust him anymore. It was a great moment and, while sad, I'm glad they didn't just make up. Considering everything they went through last year it wouldn't have worked for them to be best buds again. My only complaint about that is one that the show has always been guilty of. Sam will try to talk to Dean about an emotional issue, but Dean's will try to avoid it to keep up his strong image. This is until he eventually just changes his mind and just opens up to Sam, which just comes off as a cheap way of building the suspense. The same thing happened about his time in Hell last year and while I don't think it's a character weakness (as Dean's just awesome) I do think it's a bit of a weak writing.

But my quibbles are fairly minor as the episode simply rocked, and how amazing was the bit where Dean had the Angel spell ready to get rid of them!? So it's a strong start to the season that nicely set up some of the new (and old) characters as well giving us a great episode in its own right. On top of that we got an idea of how the Apocalypse will be played out this season and it looks like we're in for another fantastic year!
  • WINCHESTERS RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greetings fellow fans!!! So, where do we start from... Ah... yes! I'd like to talk about some reviews of other fans... First of all... Come on guys, of course they didn't jump the shark! Think of it as a video game: Yeah, you fight all the bad guys but, in the end, you MUST fight the boss (A.K.A Devil)... And remember this! There WILL be an episode where we see the destruction of the earth... the one with Dean going to the future and all. The best are yet to come!! About the episode... FINALLY!!!! We caught a glimpse of the good guys' boss!!! Dean and Sam instantly transported in an aeroplane thus away from danger and Castiel's ressurection!! Yeap, that was God alright!!! Furthermore the devil is wickedly cool... You can see why he is the mastermind... he used every weakness of his vessel and finally turned him. Ok, meg was an unexpected arrival... someone might say that her appearence was a drawback but don't forget that this is the last season so any unfinished business must be done... Besides there be tons of characters from the past such as hunters and others. even Sams old girlfriend pays him a visit... And man o' man she is beautiful... Last but not least... the brothers' relationship... Guys that hole been there before is not right... we didn't see this in the previous season. In season 4 the brothers although having a bad time had hope and they trusted each other... Now we can see their relationship has hit the bottom... No worries!!! That's good... because once you've hit the bottom there is no other way but up... Stay tuned folks!!! Supernatural rules!!!
  • The new season started but not in a good way

I can't believe that the producers will treat the end of the world theme so lightly . Everything was superficial and shallow , unlike the traditional episodes of Supernatural , which i came to like . The very plot was weak in a very disturbing way , anticlimatic and non-imaginitive . The computer graphics lacked terribly . What i would have liked to see , is both Dean and Sam be hurled temporarily in hell and briefly catch a glimpse of what will happen to Earth if Lucifer completes it's endeavour . Better CG would have been in order to recreate the spiritual form of demons . Furthermore lucifer should have never even reached Earth . There seems to me that in the idea of the devs , there is a high breach between material and immaterial , thus Satan cannot act without a vessel ?! Pathetic ! . I;m guessing that they way too cheap skaky to implement greater CG . Instead they bring me pity squables between an old character like Meg which i didn;t want to see , the possesion of Bobby and the so called comic scenes with Becky :( . The only interesting thing i saw in the episode and sort of surprised me is the dialogue between Lucifer and his vessel . Lucifer's honesty was totally cool , and intent to corrupt man .
  • The brothers are back!!

This episode ROCKED!! What a great way to start off the season. It was an emotional rollercoaster; with Sam's guilty feelings (and rightly so!), the guys being saved miracously from the rising, Bobby stabbing himself to safe Dean, Cass returning (YAY!), and finally (but not least) Dean telling Sam that he can't trust him anymore. I think my heart just broke a little. "We can never go back to how we were..."?!?!??!? I'm sure they can. They have to! I thought the way the devil worked the vessel was amazing, he pushed the poor guy right to the edge and then tipped him over. It was really well done. A good season-starter leaves you wanting more, and this epi curtainly did just that! :)
  • The ten things I like about this episode.

I hadn't originally formatted my review this way. The first time I wrote it, it turned into a recap, so I figured this way would be easier.

1. The nifty new title card.

2. The addition of Mischa Collins to the regular cast.

3. "Is that a molar? Do I have a molar in my hair? This has been a really stressful day."

4. The introduction of Sam-girl slashfan, Becky, who we first see as she is writing a fan fiction for a site called morethanbrothers.net (I checked, the website isn't real). She squeals when Chuck tells her that the stories are real, hyperventilates when she first sees Sam, and gets excited when she is just like how she pictured him. On the other hand, she didn't think Dean was how she imagined him. She also can't get over Sam's firmness. "Can you quit touching me?" "No."

5. The return of my favorite demon, Meg, who's in a brand-new meatsuit and elated that papa Lucifer is now on earth. "These are the days of miracle and wonder, Dean." I did find it interesting that Sam recognized her right away, while Dean thought she was Ruby…

6. Bobby. The prospect of Bobby dying scared me and the idea of a demon in his body killing Dean just about did it. I let out a sigh of relief then a shriek of horror when Bobby breaks free for a second to stab himself in order to save Dean. Thankfully, he makes it to the end of the episode.

7. Dean is the Michael sword, or more accurately, he's Michael vessel, and the angels need his permission for Michael to enter his body. Dean won't abide ("On the other hand... eat me. The answer's no.), so Zachariah gets real creative: "Mouthing off, I'll break more than his [Sam's] legs." "How about we heal you from stage-four stomach cancer." "Let's see how Sam does without his lungs."

8. Castiel's entrance. Although the archangel nuked him, he was put together by some force that put the boys in the plane in the beginning of the episode. Wonder who that could be?

9. The last scene, where Dean walks away from his brother. "I don't think that we can ever be what we were."

10. Nick, Lucifer's vessel, a man so broken after his family's murders that he has lost his faith. The Devil shows up as his dead wife and convinces him to say yes by promising him peace and justice, leading me to conclude that this will be the show's best season.
  • A fantastic start to season 5 with all new mythology to play with.

This is an exceptional premiere, possibly the best of all the seasons – it's all here: action, angst, everyone we love survived, the renegade angels are told where to get off and Castiel is back - bigger and more badass than ever, Sam is overwhelmed by guilt and Dean's true destiny is even cooler than it was before.

There were so many theories about how Dean and Sam would get out of the room but without hesitation I can say: no-one remotely saw *this* coming. Yanked out and dumped on a plane flying overhead?! Poor Dean – as if he doesn't have enough to worry about, he's on a plane! Then said plane goes into a dive – it's definitely not going to help Dean's fear of flying!

I am thrilled that Dean's first plan of action is to find Cas. After what Cas did, he's family now, even more than Sam after what Sam did. Sam betrayed him and raised Lucifer; Cas defied Heaven, risking death for disobedience, all for his faith in Dean – gee, I wonder who I'd pick? Is it bad that I laughed when Chuck hit Sam with the plunger? Frankly I expected more damage to Chuck's house, guess the fight was short and brutal. Dean's face is a picture when Chuck describes his vision of Sam, complete with black eyes. Hearing about Cas' death is bad enough but the molar in Chuck's hair?! Oh God, poor Chuck, Cas!! Dean's reaction about Cas is exactly what I knew it would be – sorrow and guilt, typical Dean. I hope this all is an indication that the writers will continue their stellar work with building Dean and Cas' friendship.

The first clue that Dean and Sam aren't on the 'most wanted' list comes from the fact that no archangel appeared when they went to Chuck. Our concerns about Zachariah being bad were thankfully wrong, they really are determined to stop Lucifer. Zach is all hugs and kisses, all is forgiven, 'we're all on the same side now'. Dean's reaction is typical and gives Zach a good tonguelashing. Yet again, Zach is talking in riddles, telling Dean only as much as is needed – but one thing is obvious: they still need Dean and desperately. I absolutely loved Zachariah's "Them's the rules." bit, it was just beautifully done by Kurt Fuller! Dean's 'my friend Cas' was great, the first time Dean calls him that. I am puzzled about the symbol though – the blood is very obviously dried but they've only been in the house a few minutes, when did Dean draw it since he's still bleeding?

Sam's hex bags: since when does Sam know how to make ones that powerful for angels *and* demons? He had a decidedly guilty reaction when Dean asked how he knew, he got that puppy dog 'I'm in trouble' look so I think it was just Ruby's involvement. There's no need for the demon blood detox - simplifies matters, bit of a shortcut by Kripke, but we don't need to go through that again.

Becky was writing Dean/Sam slash! Kripke is actually mocking us! Gotta love how in tune he is with the fans! Then there's the 'Galaxy Quest' "I knew it!" moment. Very cute. Good news is that Chuck's still getting his visions, that could be useful. I hope the writers continue to bring Chuck into the story, love him! Castiel said that in the future, the Winchester Gospels would be in common circulation – doesn't it bother Zachariah about how he and his fellow angels will be portrayed? Or will they just alter the Gospels to paint a more flattering image?

Something I noticed: Becky called Sam 'Sam Winchester' and knew about the angels: the books didn't get published about the angels and Chuck said he never put their surname into the books. At first I thought this was a goof until the obvious hit me: Chuck sent her to look for them, I would have told her their surname too (especially to convince her they were real) and he had to tell her about the angels so she could relay the message.

Bobby brings Dean's baby home! Sam's confession to Bobby fits perfectly: Dean is the primary authority figure in Sam's life but Dean can't and won't tear a strip off him and Sam needs someone to tell him how bad he was, air the whole thing out; with John gone that duty falls to their surrogate father. Instinctively looking for parental punishment. Bobby was harsh – and possessed or not - totally understandable and notice that Dean doesn't say a word in protest.

Given that we're now looking at Armageddon, it was inevitable that Michael would come into it, and there's been speculation among the fans for months that an archangel's sword could kill Lucifer. I even read a fanfic about a lost archangel's sword that Dean had to find. Bobby does raise an interesting point about John's warning – what if Dean had killed Sam as John said: Dean would have never gone to Hell, never broken the first seal, Lucifer wouldn't have been released. Dean's mercy and love of his brother may have condemned the world.

Then comes the shocker: Bobby's possessed! Sam and Dean have had the anti-possession tattoos for two years, how does a Hunter as experienced as Bobby not take the same precaution?! Especially with the apocalypse being nigh? Then there's Sam and Dean: they hadn't salted the doors and windows even though demons are after them and don't even bother with a 'Christo'. Very, very sloppy, boys.

The next shock is right on the heels of the first: Meg. Rachel Miner plays her to perfection, even mimicking Nicki Aycox's tone and speech pattern. It's no surprise that Dean's got a bullseye on his back, Lucifer's first step will be to take Dean out and he'll sic every demon he has on Dean. Loved Dean's response to being mauled by Meg, "What is that? Peanut butter?". That entire fight scene was brutal and leads to a déjà vu moment: Dean's father about to torture and kill him… and Bobby manages to do the same thing John did. For a horrible moment I thought Bobby was dead. Great symmetry. Meg escaped so does that mean we're going to have a repeat of Ruby? Another actress to play Meg next time we see her? We could get stuck with another Genevieve, is it too much to hope for that Meg'll possess the same girl again?

"Oh, thank God, the angels are here." Being cryptic must be genetically engineered into angel DNA because it has taken Zachariah long enough to tell Dean the truth, and knowing him, who knows if this is finally everything? "You're the Michael sword." Not just that, but he's Michael's own vessel! How incredibly awesome is that?! We knew Dean was special but we never guessed anything like this! The prophecy makes more sense now – it's not technically Dean that is supposed to kill Lucifer, but Michael in Dean's body.

Zachariah talks of the sword as a (lost) weapon but then says that Dean *is* the sword. It definitely sounds like the 'sword' is a separate thing from the vessel so Dean is both, vessel and weapon? With Jimmy and Claire, Castiel said it was in their 'blood', makes you wonder if any other Winchester/Campbell was a potential vessel. Sam's obviously ruled out because of the demon blood contamination as an infant. I look forward to the elaboration on this, there's too little to go on yet.

As we saw with Jimmy, Michael needs Dean's consent. Demons can forcibly take a vessel but angels need permission. I had always wondered if this was a uniquely Castiel thing or if it was a rule – question answered. Zachariah proves to be terrifying and ruthless, willing to torture not only Dean but Sam and Bobby too to get what he wants. I miss Alastair, at least he was fun, Zach is just horrifying. This is just one indication of Dean's change in feeling toward Sam – he continued to say no even when Zach was torturing Sam. There are several such moments in the episode, where Dean doesn't react to Sam the way he would before, Dean's entire mentality has changed toward Sam. This could be a good thing in a way – if Dean is less willing to sacrifice himself for Sam then it's something that cannot be held over his head as it always has been before.

At first blush, Dean's refusal seems stupid – whatever Zachariah's motives, Michael can kill Lucifer and could do it if he had Dean's body. But look at Dean's reasoning, which is backed up moments later – Zachariah and his cronies are renegades and just the fact that Zachariah wants it so bad makes me very worried. I'm also disturbed that Zachariah implies Michael's participation – is he working with the renegades?! If it comes down to it, Dean might have to eventually give in to Michael to kill Lucifer.

Then the moment we've been waiting for: Castiel's triumphant return! Only it's the new improved version – the old badass Castiel is back and then some – where'd he learn to fight like that?! Cas couldn't fight to save his own life and was always having to be rescued, and now he takes down two angels in possibly the most impressive fight in Supernatural's history! Thank god the writers finally fixed that, it was always annoying having an angel that fights that badly, made it impossible to take him seriously as a soldier. That was hands-down the most awesome thing I've ever seen Cas do. He fights like Dean, exact same fighting style though strangely it's all the more impressive when performed by the awesome Misha Collins.

I'll bet Zachariah never ever thought he'd be afraid of Castiel! "I won't ask twice." Ooooh! Cas is so hot when he's all smitey! Then I guess Daddy's home! Explains who rescued Dean and Sam, and Castiel was resurrected, probably as a reward for his loyalty for standing against the renegade angels. Does Cas actually know that God has returned or is he just making an educated guess? God does seem too obvious given Kripke's track record and it would mess with the whole renegade angels storyline, plus how on Earth would they explain where God was?! Very cool how Cas protects the boys with the sigil. "I carved it into your ribs." Um, thanks? He said it would protect them from all angels, that would include Cas – how will he find them later? Or are the writers finally going to make use of the handprint on Dean's shoulder, could Cas use it to find Dean? It's probably a safe bet that Jimmy is either dead or moved on.

Something I found interesting: Cas knew about the hex bags. Was he looking for them and when he couldn't find them, followed Zachariah? Even Zach had to use Chuck's prophecy to lure them out of hiding.

Nick is physically Lucifer's vessel but the tragic circumstances of his family's murder make him emotionally vulnerable and allows Lucifer to convince Nick to give his consent. Seduction rather than Zachariah's torture – remind me who's evil again? The actor is obviously excellent, I think we'll like him, he's got a gravitas which will make for a compelling Lucifer. Compare Lucifer's honesty to Zachariah's constant lies and evasions – it's quite disturbing. All of the Lucifer/Nick scenes were well done, disturbing and creepy.

Bobby can't walk! That's going to make things difficult, certainly remove him from the more physical side of the war that's coming. Loved him chewing out the doctor, pure Bobby! Dean talks a good game and he certainly has a point: this isn't our war, it's between Heaven and Hell and we're just caught in the middle. It's actually a great idea but near impossible. So Dean!! "*I* got no idea." If we needed proof that Bobby considers both the boys as his sons, we just got it, pure unconditional love. I'm not sure John could have handled Sam this well. In fact, I *know* he wouldn't have.

I have never been more proud of Dean than when he told Sam what he did. For too long, Dean's been letting Sam get away with anything and everything. They did it because they were all they had, they had to let stuff slide in order to keep from breaking apart. Dean's love for Sam has always been unhealthily powerful, all consuming, at the expense of himself. Sam's gone too far, hurt Dean too badly, destroyed Dean's faith and trust in him and there's no going back. The best Sam can ever hope for is that Dean will learn to trust him again – and even then it will never be completely. Sam's selfishness and arrogance has ruined the only truly good thing in his life – his brother's love and faith in him. As if that wasn't enough, it was sacrificed for nothing. I was very pleased that Dean told him flat out that he's struggling to 'forgive and forget' – Sam will have to work for that forgiveness. Every time Sam apologized, it felt like he was looking for a quick-fix, I'm glad Dean didn't give in. Sam is apologizing because he was *proved* wrong, because it didn't work out, not because he had an epiphany that he was doing the wrong thing – he's sorry after the fact, in hind-sight and *that* is why Dean can't forgive him.

Last thoughts:
    - New title: Eeeeew! Blood in water?! Yuck!
    - Misha Collins just got listed as the third star! Awesome! Jim Beaver is still listed as a guest-star though?!

Wow, now that was a satisfactory premiere!
  • An awesome season opener.

At the end of the last season finale, I was acctually both longing and dreading this episode. I was worried about how they would portrait Lucifer, that it would be like when you're watching a horror movie and you actually get to see the thing in the dark you've been fearing for the last hour. Once you've seen it, it's not scary anymore (not that I would get scared of Lucifer but you get the point). Therefor, I was glad that Lucifer needed a meatsuit,'cause then you won't have to see him in the flesh, so to speak, for at least a while. With that said, I really enjoyed this episode, It really was worth the long wait! Now we've just got to manage waiting for the next episode! Loved Emily Perkins character by the way, she was so cute and funny!
  • Talk about jump the shark. it can only go down hill from now on.

I personally like Supernatural but the plots are getting so riddiculous now it will be hard for me to watch to the end if the episodes are going to be like this from now on.We are told the devil has risen and it will destroy the world and yet it has to hide in a mans body???

Dean doesnt trust Sam well we have heard it all before!!!

Supernatural is best when the brothers are fighting ordinary demons not these silly subplots that every american series has after a first season ends and a season two begins.

I hope it gets better.
  • Supernatural is back and it's ROCKING!!!!

This episode was absolutly FANTASTIC!!!

Right at the begining of the episode I was completly WTF, how did they get on that plane??!! I thought 'the angels, maybe?' but Castiel says nope, not the angels... I think maybe it was God!!!

Then the boys went to Chuck's place to look for Castiel. Chuck is just really awesome!!! I was really glad to see him back on the series, and I hope we get to see him even more!!!

The fangirl was just hilarious!!! She was writing one of those Wincest fanfictions (that I really don't get how some people like those...) when Chuck contacts her to get a message to the boys. And when she met them was sooo funny! She just wouldn't stop touching Sam... "Sam, you're so FIRM" XD When Sam tells Bobby that he was the one breaking the final seal, and Bobby tells him to loose his number, well, it was really heartbreaking and I was really finding it hard to believe that Bobby would do that to Sam.
    But then, we find out that Bobby was possessed and Meg shows up. I really liked seeing Meg again. The actress was good (not the best...) and she managed to keep Megs personality, very close to Nicki Aycox's interpretation (not like what happened with Ruby's character...)

Dean being Micheal's sword/vessel is just awesome and makes total sence!!! I mean we know it takes an angel to kill another angel, and that's what Lucifer is, a very powerfull angel... But Dean didn't really like the idea of beeing a vessel, so Zachariah tries to convince him by torturing him and Sam... but Castiel shows up, and kicks some serious asses!!! It was just AWESOME!!!

During the episode we also saw Lucifer approaching his vessel, Nick. The guy lost his wife and child, murdered on their own beds, and now he's basicly loosing it...
    Lucifer takes the form of Nick's dead wife. He may be the villain but Kripke wasn't joking when he said that he was going to be a very likeable character...
    He talks so gently, speaks of his crime - loving God too much - the reason why he was punished and is now called the Devil... He talks about Nick's loss and how it was God's fault because He did nothing while Nick's family was beeing murdered... Lucifer promises justice and Nick says Yes! And we see a blast of light while Lucifer takes possession of his vessel...

I can't wait to see Mark Pellegrino as Lucifer. In this episode, as Nick, he was really Great!!!

The last scene of the episode was very emotional and heartbreaking, with Dean telling Sam how things would never be the same between them, how he feels betrayed 'cause Sam prefered a demon over his own brother, and even though Dean knows how sorry Sam is, it's just too hard to forgive and forget...

Bottom line, this was an AWESOME episode and I'm sure this season his going to be EPIC!!!
    Can't wait for next week!!!
  • Season opener - Kripke just keeps giving

As always, Supernatural was brilliant. Not my favorite season premire - too many events felt like cop-outs - but it definitely ranks very highly.

The Thunderstruck recap was awesome. They used all the right scenes to intro the events, reminding us what had gone down four months ago (as if we could forget). And then it's straight into the episode as a brilliant white light emanates from Lillith's blood. The doors close and it seems like our boys are trapped.

Then, with a great segway featuring Yosemite Sam (foreshadowing for our Sam?), they're on a plane, which starts to crash. And... wait, now they're in a car. A rental. So they obviously made it to the airport, but they don't really explain what happened. That whole scene felt sketchy to me, but I guess they'll reveal everything later, because that's what they do.

Dean's immediate reaction to their situation is to find Cas - it makes sense, because he's kind of the resident authority on angels and all things apocolypse. They show up at Chuck's house, and have one of the best conversations ever. I love Chuck's character - he has a way of understating things so brilliantly, and really seems to roll with the punches, in a fatalistic sort of way. Then the angels show up and do some exposition. Dean sends them off with the blood sigil deal that Cas drew in the 4th season closer, which felt like another cop-out. It seems like there was supposed to be a scene between entering the house and finding Chuck. Maybe there was, and it was just too much for the episode.

They introduce the character of Nick, a man who just lost his wife and child and is now having terrible hallucinations of them (courtesy of our friendly neighborhood Lucifer). Considering the terrible time he's had lately, I totally forgive Nick for unleashing evil on the world.

The whole Becky the fangirl thing, while funny, made me a little uncomfortable. Mostly it was how she touched Sam constantly - have some respect for personal space, woman! That's certainly not how I'd treat my hero.

All the while, Dean's avoiding talking to Sam about what just happened. But when Sam breaks the news to Bobby (well, Evil!Bobby), he rips him a new one, which was heartbreaking, especially given Bobby's track record as the boys' anchor. Once Sam leaves and Dean realizes where the Michael Sword is allegedly being kept, Evil!Bobby reveals himself and Meg comes on the scene. I wasn't especially fond of the actress, but she at least seemed like she'd studied Nicki Aycox's interpretation (unlike Cortese), so she was all right. Then we get a scene that mirrored the season one finale in so many ways - Dean's about to be killed by someone he considers a father figure, who then snaps out of it and sacrifices himself for Dean. It shows how much Dean means to Bobby, and vice versa. It was a mind-blowing, scary scene. The question is, how did a demon get up in there? Bobby was the one who gave them the charms to ward off possession - why wasn't he carrying one?

After this, we get more intense Nick scenes - baby blood everywhere. He's pretty much losing it, and Lucifer's vessel is almost ready. These are some great scenes, great psychological torment. Props to the Lightbringer for that - it made for great TV.

The boys drop Bobby at the hospital and dash off to the storage unit, only to find that the angels beat them. And that Dean's a metaphorical sword, and Michael's vessel. Zacharaiah tortures both boys and threatens much more, and Dean still says no to being an angel condom. That's a great contrast between Sam's behavior of last summer - he'd say yes to anything as long as he could get revenge, and he ended the world. Also, maybe the Winchesters are learning not to bargain - it never ends well. By the time the cavalry arrives, Dean's got stomach cancer and Sam's got a hurt leg and no lungs.

Then Cas bursts in and badasses all over the place. He's back with a vengeance, apparently, and he schools Zachariah, alluding that someone really powerful saved him and put the boys on that plane. I've read a lot of reviews that say it's God - I think it's the very opposite. So far, Lucifer's been a lot nicer than the good guys, and Kripke has said that they're going to make him a very sympathetic devil. I know it looks like a God move, but since when has Supernatural ever been predictable (except for whenever one of the boys dies)? I think they're trying to throw us for a loop, and I think Lucifer's just the sort of guy who'd go there.

Speak of the devil, at this point he's slowly seducing Nick in the form of his dead wife. He speaks very kindly, promising justice, and Nick accepts. Lucifer doesn't lie once, not about anything - not typical demon behavior, and a very classy twist to the character. I'm beginning to like this Satan fellow.

Back in the hospital, we find out that it's unlikely that Bobby will walk away from it, which really gives a lot of weight to the whole apocolypse threat - one person they know and love has already been all but taken out, so this is serious. I can't wait to see his storyline play out, and how he deals with it. But Dean gives him a pep talk - including possibly my favorite lines ever uttered: "I got no idea. But what I got is a GED and a give 'em hell attitude, and I'll figure it out." Bobby lets Sam know that he's never going to cut him out, and it seems like the ending's practically going to be happy.

Then Dean opens up. Says he knows how sorry Sam is, but he can't forgive what he's done, and he doesn't know if there's anything that will restore his trust in his brother. It's understandable, but still heartbreaking. They have a lot of fences to mend here, and it's going to take time.

This episode felt like two episodes to me - so much happened in the forty or so minutes. So many questions have to be answered. It feels like Kripke's heaping on the presents early this year so we can sort them all out before the world ends.
  • SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL

It was great episode....I enjoyed a lot....it's a big question:How Dean and Sam got into airplane and after survived crush?...I hope they will explain ecerything...because Castiel said that Angels didn't save the :-s......also Lucifer rose from hell...and he's looking for the vassel....also Dean is the vassel of Michael Angel...it was a big surprise for me....Dean is the sword of Michael Angel's.....but Dean has to die for this mission :-s.....I think he never agrees with them....Sam lost his powers and old friends arrived from the hell...and they want to kill Dean...and Sam a little bit....Funny ha :d...I want next episode so badly
  • Peaks and valleys - something was missing - yes good but it will i'm sure improve from here

Not sure why but something seemed off/missing with this episode. It had some highs - like Lucifer pitching to the vessel, in the form of his murdered wife, very well done I thought. I thought Sam's sheepishness about starting the apocalypse was pretty cleverly demonstrated and well acted and I liked the slash fan scene. but, i thought the opening montage/music was lacking in flow and adrenaline compared with previous season openers, and there seemed to be a flatness in the episode that i'm not use to with this show. Bobby being possessed could be seen a mile away before the reveal, and the Zaccharia torture scene was somehow not scary or tense - so obvious that someone or something would be coming to D & S's rescue any minute. And , did Sam really look like someone whose lungs had just disappeared? (not to me he didn't) I'm not complaining - it was great to have it back and lucifer is a very promising character and I think Mark Pellegrino will be amazing and I liked getting to see the vessel pre-possession, because it's hard to imagine who would say yes, but somehow in that scene it did come off as emotionally plausible for that guy to give the insane response he did to L's request. But I know, I KNOW it's going to get much better from here.
  • Awsome opener

Great episode. The writing was fabulous and I can see who the writters are saying that it is a lot of fun in the Apocalypse. Because lets be honest Dean just loves to piss people off and the Apocalypse is just greatest excuse for him to mouth off at people.

I like how the episode jumps from Sam/Dean to Nick/Lucifer. This gives us the audience a good chance to really get to know the Devil before he meets the boys.

I also really like how Dean is Micheal's vessel, not him like a lot of fans thought and that although Dean knows that he could become the vessel, I doubt that it is in his nature to allow that to happen to himself.

Great episode, for seasons premire I think that it is only behind season 4, because really how can you beat digging yourself out of your own grave as an opener?
  • What Do You Do When the Devil's at Your Door?

Lucifer Rising-Sam, Dean, and Bobby must deal with the aftermath of the Devil's escape from Hell, and receive startling news from the Prophet Chuck.

Well, it was a long (but smooth) wait since the 4th season finale when we saw the Sam frighteningly grab Dean as they watch Lucifer beginning to arrive on Earth. It wasn't the cliffhanger I had picture, but a good cliffhanger none the less. "Sympathy for the Devil" picks up exactly where the finale left off and looks like the Winchester boys are about to get slaughtered by the Devil himself when they appear on a plane flying over the town where they were. I loved how the scenes are edited as we see a cartoon about the devil on the plane. But how did Dean and Sam get on airplane and who saved their butts from feeling the wrath of big daddy evil? That's what the premiere essentially does, gives us a lot of questions, some are answered, some aren't. While this premiere isn't the "all hell breaks loose" type of premiere, Eric Kripke does a fine job of setting up the ultimate showdown between heaven and hell as the apocalypse begins with Sam and Dean once again being caught in the middle.

There are quite a number of twists throughout this episode, which Supernatural is great at, that left my jaw dropping a few times. Like when Dean and Sam appear on the plane when suddenly Lucifer's arrival causes the plane to dive, Bobby being possessed (how did that happen by way?) and especially Dean being Michael's sword aka his vessel! I really like this development and wonder if the writers will have Michael possesses Dean's body toward the end of the season, which would be so badass! There was also a great dose of comedic balance to the script. I swear Supernatural has the best comedic timing of any sci-fi series since Angel ended 5 years ago. The scene where the boys visit Chuck and especially the fan girl had my sides hurting. The writers just love poking fun at the fan base, but they always do it in a way that respects their fans as well.

Another great highlight was Castiel's sudden return to send Zachariah packing. But how is Castiel back after Chuck said he died? Did God save him? Did God save Dean and Sam? It's all so confusing, like how Castiel cloaked Dean and Sam from the angels and Lucifer. I feel like this is either God's work of there's a 3rd party here in this war...who knows! But this is all very intriguing stuff and will be anticipating each episode to find the answers to these questions. The episode ends in probably one of the most heartbreaking notes thus far. Finally Dean tells Sam how he feels about what he's done and he couldn't be more right. It's not the fact that Sam started the apocalypse, it's the fact he chose a demon over his own brother. It looks like that was the last nail in coffin for Dean and Sam's brotherhood. But I think in the end, they'll become the brothers they once were cause the world is about to end and they need each other whether they like it or not. Not as thought-provoking as last year's premiere "Lazarus Rising", but "Sympathy for the Devil" is great in its own right as it brings up so many interesting questions and plot developments like Lucifer choosing a grieving widower/father as his vessel. I can already tell by Mark Pellegrino's stunning performance in the premiere that he's gonna be exceptional as Lucifer. Bring on the rest of Season 5, please!!!
  • The new Review season is upon us!

The season 4 finale left off in a very tight situation that most of us really wnated to see get resolved, and making us wait 3 months for it was torture, but well worth the wait. I like the whole kinda mystery but its not really behind what saved Sam, Dean and Castiel. Its like no one really wanted to say it, but there was really no other way to explain it. For the most part I thought this episode was brilliant, we have new opening credits, hwich are the bomb, a new series regular in Mischa Collins who is also very very good, but a couple of things really bothered me, like for one How was Bobby able to break the hold that the Demon had on him? Was Lucifer's presence on earth disrupting the natural Demon flow? I hope its revealed later on. And the New Meg really bothered me basically because the actress they had playing her couldn't act. They did that with Ruby as well, Katie Cassidy was aweosme but she was replaced with someone who wasn't very good. In the end this is a great show and start to the season, the end left me wanting more. See you next week folks!
  • A superior start to the season

Several times during the fourth season, I mentioned that the actions and statements from the angels, the demons, and the Brothers Winchester were all based on their limited point of view. As many times as the characters said that "God had left the building" and that there was, perhaps, no God at all, it was too easy to assume that it was the case. (That didn't stop some from assuming the worst, of course.)

I pondered in the review for "Lucifer Rising" that this may have been intentional from a storytelling perspective. Perhaps the angels were led to believe that they were on their own, because the final resolution to the apocalypse was never supposed to be in their hands. After all, the thrust of Christian religious tradition is how it all comes down to what humanity chooses to do. And, in keeping with that, we have our erstwhile champions, Sam and Dean.

A common religious proverb states, "God helps those who help themselves". It's a simple way of saying that waiting around for deliverance is never going to work; one must take active agency to solve a problem before divine intervention is likely to kick into gear. The beginning of this season arc practically screams that sentiment. The solution to this impending doom is taking action, however hopeless it might seem.

Both sides of the equation seem to be expecting humanity to lay down and accept their role in the process. Demons expect humans to be easy pickings as they take rightful ownership of the planet. (Demons being, in this mythology, humans who have fallen and been corrupted in Hell in parallel to the fall of Lucifer.) The angels expect humanity to make whatever sacrifices they deem necessary to take down Lucifer and fight the war their way.

It all boils down to reflections of the same mindset. Angels may need to ask permission to take on a human vessel, but they still expect it to be done at their whim. Demons don't bother with permission at all. Both treat humans like tools to be employed. Meg's minion uses Bobby against the Brothers Winchester, and moments later, Zachariah tries to torture Dean into becoming the vessel for Michael the Archangel. This is an intentional display of how both sides view humanity as lesser beings in the scheme of things.

Castiel's resurrection, never mind the timely rescue at the beginning of the episode, both point to a guiding authority that has a very different point of view. I don't expect the writers to be too heavy-handed about it, but the context is fairly obvious. This is the intervention of God into the equation, and that suggests that everything has been going according to plan.

Which, quite to the contrary of those who have objected to the negative talk about God in the fourth season, is exactly what I predicted would happen. And it is really the best possible direction for the writers to take. Assuming that this will follow the usual pattern and God's plan ends up well for the world and his chosen, then this initial setup is perfect for the exploration of how an increasingly doubting world struggles with the notion of God and his plan for humanity.

Sam is a character who will be grasping for any chance of salvation, and as an established believer, that has amazing possibilities. Dean, as the agnostic brother, is perfectly positioned to address how someone with those personal leanings might react to the reality of God's hand in his world. (That journey already started during the fourth season.) By taking the Brothers Winchester this far down the road, the writers prepared them (and the audience) for the moment when their psychological states would be perfect for this kind of exploration.

No doubt all of this will be missed by those who want to be offended, and they will likely focus on the portrayal of Lucifer. I thought it was spot-on. While the demons might revel in the notion of their depraved evil, it makes more sense that Lucifer would see his actions in a more positive light. Or, rather, that he would express his motivations in a way that made them seem reasonable.

But even that reinforces the point being made by the episode. The characters are speaking entirely from their own limited point of view, filtering through the blinders of their psychological state. The deeper truths are left to the subtext of the tale as a whole. And because that's the case, it's impossible to judge the message of the series until the entire subtext is revealed.

It might seem like the episode succeeds due to its mythological content, but as usual, the heart and soul of the story is the relationship between Sam and Dean. And in that regard, the writers pull no punches. It would have been all too easy for Dean to forgive Sam and let the slow degradation of trust in the fourth season wash away in the face of a greater threat. Instead, the writers maintain the strong characterization tradition and take the road less traveled. Dean's bitter rift with Sam will be a core aspect of this fifth season.

Such a deep and dark tale could have been light on humor, but that wasn't the case. Kripke has never been afraid to poke fun at some of the more ridiculous segments of fandom, and that's certainly true here. I would say that the Wincest crowd was lovingly mocked, and they should take that as the compliment to their devotion that it is. How many other producers would pay homage to fans who obsess over incest? (And no, Kripke is not saying that Sam and Dean are lovers, but that in the "Supernatural" universe, there are also crazy people who dream about the possibility.)

This premiere is such a winner that it almost makes me wish that the series were still the best kept secret on television. The success of the fourth season may have guaranteed that the show will get its planned five-season arc after all, but it has also led to the likelihood of future seasons beyond that. The problem is simply this: saying that it's possible telegraphs the survival of the Brothers Winchester. And frankly, some of the power of the narrative was the underlying possibility that the brothers might not survive in the end. I can't help but wonder if success came a season too late to give "Supernatural" the chance to choose its own fate.
  • Since everyone did a summary, I will not write more about the plot. It was well written and acted.

I wish to know more about what happened to Castiel. The Prophet and Zach are amazing. I am happy that Jim Beaver, Bobby was still alive. I know that a lot of people were disappointed on the action side. I waited for 3 months to see this. Like lots of people, I was disappointed, too. I realized at the end that it was more about the relationships on the show opposed to the actions. You can see where the loyalties lie. I also want to see more of Anna. I don't like how her story ended last season. She need a happy ending.
  • Supernatural is back!

Supernatural Season 5 Episode 01 Sympathy for the Devil
    Sam and Dean appear on a plane after Lucifer rises, and then they head to Chuck's place to hear the bad news Castiel is dead. Lucifer gets a vessel. Bobby gets possesed and tries to kill Dean, but he mannages to stab himself. Then he's taken to the hospital. Zachariah reveals Dean is meant to be Michael's vessel, and Castiel returns and saves the Winchesters. Meg's back from hell and tried to kill Dean, but she escapes.

Angels, Demons, Apocalypse... Supernatural! The TV show we love is back, and with a great season opener, shocking and full of suspense action and drama! This episode was so awesome! I loved it so much! I cant believe how good it was!
    It rocks!
    We'll be seeing alot this season, and I'm loving it already! The season is gonna be amazing! Its gonna kick some major ass! So freaking good!
    Dean being Michael's vessel... amazing!
    I cant wait for the next episode!
  • They're back!!!! And boy am I glad to see them

After a very long wait...they're finally back to fight hell and all it's demons. But this time they've got to fight the big boss: Lucifer!!!

This episode was a great start of a new season. They've set up the basic storyline and we now know what the brothers have to face. Or at least we would like to think that. Because when S4 ended I thought that Lucifer would rise with all his evil, minions, fire and brimstone. To my surprise the writers gave the introduction of the angel of darkness a different twist. Which was, in my opinion, a brilliant move.

I'm also happy to see that Castiel is still a member of the group we're going to see more of. Greatest choice of words in this episode: Angel condom
  • Yes yes yes!!!!!! The Winchesters are back and how!

First up. The Road so Far is one of the best ever. The music by AC DC is perfect. The whole episode is well paced and the characters used are excellent. Dean facing off against Angels. Outstanding. Might get bored with Sam wallowing in self pity, but at the moment it is understandable. Cas is back!! Thank you God (Poor pun, but watch the show you will see why!) Bobby is around and thank you for not killing him. Lucifer looks interesting as well. Can't wait to see where this goes. I am sitting here buzzing trying not to give anything away. Very difficult because it had it all! Loved the fan girl. Not sure about her fan fiction though! More now!! Sorry True Blood, you are now my second favorite programme again. When's the next episode!!!
< 1 2