Supernatural

The Devil You Know

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Apr 29, 2010 on The CW

• this was a good ep .

in this ep the deamon is willing to help them find the third ring but they have to locate the peslances stable boy. and dean goes up there and they bring him back as there bringing him back the deamon says lets take another root but dean insist they go back to were sam is but he does not realized that the stable boy know each other from college. and it was the person that got sam into all this mess he started it all by making sam introudced to jess and then killing jess .and that is what got sam started from thebeging dean learns what the deamon was trying to tell him but sam tricks dean and locks him in the closet they get the info out of him and sam kills the stable boy at the end after they get the location
  • The brothers try to hunt down Pestilence with the help of Crowley.

The brothers hit a snag while hunting down Pestilence, they meet a person that can get them to Pestilence, and that person is Brady, Sam's old college buddy who is now possessed by a demon. Turns out Jess dying was all one big set up to get Sam back to his old way. Brady was possessed when he introduced Sam to Jess only to take her away so he can go back to hunting, another eventful episode definitely. This episode was too similar to what Ruby did to Sam. Sam believed Ruby more than Dean. In this case, Dean left Sam for Crowley. The same situation. So it was kind of out of character on Dean's part to trust a demon. When Sam finds out about Brady, he tries to get his revenge, only to be interrupted by the thought of getting information to get Pestilence. The rest of the episode, they are just interrogating Brady. A hell hound tracks down Crowley, you think Crowley is going to leave them, but he brings his own hell hound to fight the hell hound that tracked them down. Since they saved Brady's life, Brady gives the address where Pestilence is at. Sam ends up killing Brady after getting the information. In the end, Crowley gives Bobby an offer regarding the fourth horseman, that he cannot refuse. He has to sell his soul to get the location of the fourth horseman, before he answers, it cuts to black. A good episode, that was just another step of the way to the Apocalypse. Good episode.
  • The brothers get help from a demon to track down the remaining horsemen and Sam encounters a surprise from his past.

As we're nearing the finale things are really beginning to get set in motion as Sam and Dean's search for the remaining horsemen. The "Then and Now" bit showed the horsemen and the Croatoan virus implying they would both play large parts here. This unfortunately wasn't the case, as they were barely a framework (especially the virus) to the episode and more of a setup for the final two.

What we did get here instead was still really good, just not quite what I was hoping for. I do like that Sam and Dean are seen actively searching for Pestilence as opposed to stumbling into the Apocalypse plot which has happened a lot this season. However their search is in vain until Crowley shows up to lend a hand. He was a great character earlier in the season and it was great to see him back. Sam constantly trying to kill him was played with the right balance of action and comedy that it worked nicely. Of course it did have Crowley doing the old off-screen disappearing trick. Obviously it's an artistic choice by the show to do this, but for shots like Sam swinging and Crowley teleporting behind him, not showing it really didn't work.

So Sam understandably doesn't trust Crowley whereas Dean does (reluctantly though). When Dean went with Crowley instead of Sam it had me thinking of Dean's "You trusted a demon over your own brother" line from earlier this season. However the difference here is that they really are out of options and Dean's questionable choice is understandable. Crowley and Dean's teamup to grab Brady was pretty fun. I was a bit surprised Dean wasn't angrier at Crowley for murdering the security guards, but maybe at this point he's accepted collateral damage. Crowley's trick to use Dean as bait to get Brady was fairly obvious I thought, but brilliant nonetheless! Crowley's "that's what you get for trusting a demon" line actually made him more trustworthy in a weird way. Certainly more honest about his end game which at this point I think we can take at face value.

Then however came the point of the story I wasn't so huge on. When Crowley said Sam and Brady had history I initially thought he was Meg in another body, but I was just a bit wrong there! Retcons are rarely a good thing. It's understandable that in a long running series the best way to give an emotional connection to a new character is to find a way to tie them into a story but more often than not it just feels forced. Now to be fair retroactively adding Brady into the show's continuity was far from bad. There was always a bit of a question about how or why Yellow Eyes killed Jessica, so having it be one of his lackeys made sense. Also that Azazel would've been keeping an eye on Sam also made sense, so it was done a lot better than similar situations on most other shows. However, it was nowhere near as good as previous tricks like this on the show. Quick examples: last season we found out Sam and Dean's mum had been a hunter. However at the end of season 2 we saw that Mary Winchester recognised the Yellow Eyed demon in Sam's nursery. Similarly this season we found out the Trickster was an Arc Angel, but a mere two episodes after his first appearance they did an episode about the possibility of Angels.

When rewatching the show seeing these things makes you think that maybe they were set up all along which gives more validity to it. I'm fairly certain Brady wasn't in the first episode (because I would've recognised Smallville's Eric Johnson) so it doesn't tie in well. Also wouldn't Sam have noticed if there was a demon around him for like two years? They seem to ignore it a bit now, but back then demons gave off sulphur as well as various other tells which you'd think Sam would've picked up on.

Sam eventually killing off Brady was an interesting bit. I'm not sure whether it was the best choice, but it worked for the character. Surely letting him suffer at Lucifer's hands would be a worse punishment (as well as possible save his old friend). But it all worked and was a cool scene. Also glad to see they've improved the demon killing effect, as it didn't look quite as good in the false profit episode a few weeks back.

The final scene had Crowley try to seduce Bobby. It's a clever trick to use a loophole in the deal making thing. However do any of us trust that Crowley would return Bobby's soul, or if he even can after completing a deal? The scene had me actually saying at the screen "don't do it, Bobby" and for any show to invoke a verbal reaction like that obviously they're doing something right. It was a cool cliffhanger to end on, as while Bobby might realise it's a stupid thing to do it may be the only option they have.

So this was a decent episode to move us closer to the final episode. While not the best use of a retcon it did still work and didn't hurt the overall story. Maybe a bit more action might've been nice here (still not a fan of the invisible hell hounds) but it all worked. With two episodes to go I'm confident the show can finsh this season with the high quality its had throughout.
  • War makes strange bedfellows so when Crowley comes round with plans within plans to use the boys to save his own behind, well, things could get sticky. then again, blood usually does.

This was a strong ep chock full of major setups for the finale, as well as a few within the ep itself. **Spoilers ** We see the beginnings of a possible plan for getting Lucifer back into his box, not that Dean would let it happen, but... it's possible. We also see another shoestring being grabbed and ready to be tied in the guise of Bobby being made an offer by Crowley who is an interesting bad guy though not nearly as clever as he thinks he is. The fact that Sam and 'Brady' had some history didn't pack an iota of impact though, don't know why. I think it's because I knew Sam wouldn't let Dean down, so there was no real surprise. (Personally I would've liked it if Sam had indulged a little bit in some carving of his own instead of a little shaving nic) once he had Dean trapped in the bathroom. And for some reason, that Dean enabled Sam to take him out at the end, there just wasn't that satisfaction I was hoping for, maybe cause we figured the whole Jess thing was already resolved with Azazel's death... don't know for sure but. all in all it was a fair ep with some very strong setups. So good work Kast and Krew. And as always, special love to Jensen and Jared.
  • This episode was just okay.

***********Spoiler Alert***************************

I don't know what I was expecting from this episode but it didn't deliver. It felt like one of the longest episodes of Supernatural I had ever watched. I did find it funny that they had demons using a pharmaceutical company to try to spread the Croatoan virus. Other than the surprise with Brady and Sam having a past connection nothing really happened in this episode. I did like the O'Death trailer but I just hope that the final two episodes are much better than this one was. I can't wait to see the Winchesters meet Death and Pestilence.
  • The "I Use To Date Lana Lang" Reunion

The Devil You Know-To save humanity and demonkind alike, Crowley offers the Winchesters the location of the remaining Horsemen rings so they can trap Lucifer. However, Crowley's insider within the Horsemen camp has a change of heart and sends Pestilence to destroy the brothers.

With the final run of the season's episodes winding down, "The Devil You Know" doesn't really create that truly doom and apocalyptic feel of the past episodes, but it does have entertaining aspects to it:

-Mark Sheppard returns as Crowley and is hilarious for the most part when he isn't yelling. He pretty much steals the show from Dean and Sam this week. While Crowley is helping the brothers find the last 2 Horsemen rings, he obviously has his own agenda, especially his confrontation with Bobby toward the end.

-Eric Johnson guest stars and boy, has he come a long way from the early years of Smallville. I'm use to his All American, one-note performances on Smallville and his work on Flash Gordon wasn't much better. As Brady, he impressed me for the most part, especially his scenes with Sam. So Brady was sent by Yellow Eyes and was the one who killed Jess? Shocking, yes. But did we really need a revenge story for Sam at this part of the season? -Watching Brady and Dean interact was just hilarious to me considering both actors were on Smallville and the characters they played dated Lana Lang. I was half expecting Kristin Kreuk to pop out and break up their fight. lol

-That hellhound vs. hellhound fight was the oddest thing I've seen on this show yet one of the funniest, especially Crowley mentioning his was "bigger". lol

-Sam's little plan to stop Lucifer was an interesting development and would make for an awesome conclusion to the season if that happened. Just imagine Dean watching on as Sam was trapped in Hell with Lucifer inside his body. Would be a powerful cliffhanger! Nothing much to say about this episode, it wasn't bad, there was more talking about how to find the other rings than actual searching for the rings. It just seemed way too laid back knowing this is one of the final 3 episodes of the season. Next week, Death looks creepy as hell, the trailer was brilliantly put together. As for this week, one of the rare instances where Supernatural was just "okay".
  • Trusting a demon...again

With only a handful of episodes left before the planned arc of "Supernatural" comes to a rousing finish, I'm a bit surprised that the urgency is not quite at the anticipated level. I had hoped, once the writers got the light-hearted fare out of the way during the first half of the season, that the second half would be a relentless drive to the finish. I think a lot of important ground has been covered, to be sure, but if the writers are still planning to wrap up the Apocalypse this season, it doesn't exactly feel like it.

That isn't to say that this is a bad episode, or that the writers aren't trying to bring the tale full circle. Crowley is a great recurring character, and if he survives, it will be interesting to see if he becomes a fixture of the sixth season. After all, even if Lucifer is tossed back in his cage and the real Apocalypse is postponed to a later date, the demons are still going to exist and will still be roaming the earth. Based on Crowley's offer to Bobby at the end of the episode, there's plenty of reason to think that the Brothers Winchester will have debts to pay once the big dance is over.

And bringing in Brady was an interesting idea. It's already been well established that Sam's current role was the result of a long-term plan going back generations, if not millennia. So it's no surprise that Azazel was manipulating Sam far more than realized. After all, if the death of a lover was something that Azazel thought would be needed to propel Sam in the right direction to become the perfect means of releasing Lucifer (his development as the Antichrist Superstar in the first two seasons being the prelude to Ruby's manipulations, in retrospect), then having a demon set Sam up with Jessie makes perfect sense.

With so little time, I was concerned that Pestilence might get short shrift. After all, we already know from "The End" that Pestilence unleashes the Croatoan virus on the world, and the means wasn't ground that really needed to be covered. Yet the methodology is clever and in keeping with the notion that the Horsemen use human weakness to bring destruction.

In this case, it is fear of infection and death from disease. I would have preferred a scenario that didn't play into the irrational conspiracy theories of the anti-vaccination camp, but it is a wonderfully ironic strategy. Spread a mild but potentially serious flu around just enough to start worldwide panic, and then offer a vaccine that actually holds the Croatoan virus. (My only quibble being that a latency period would be more effective to maximize spread of the virus before the homicidal tendencies begin.)

I even liked the notion that these characters can't stop trying to sacrifice themselves. It's a stark contrast to Crowley, who is wonderfully focused on self-preservation, but it's also a bit predictable after a while. At least it's still being offered in the spirit of active resistance vs. passive submission, which is consistent with recent events.

Sam's decision is a bit ridiculous, though. Sam is well aware of the fact that he was tempted to the dark side because he was meant to be ready to offer himself as Lucifer's meatsuit. Even though Sam stepped back from the brink, there's a huge part of him that is still tempted. If Sam were to go through with this plan, and somehow overcome the possessing power of an angel (not a demon, and a key difference), it would seem a little too convenient, given what has been established.

But it was interesting to see that Bobby seemed to consider what Crowley was saying at the end of the episode, even if he delivered a fairly strong rebuttal in the form of a rock-salt barrage. It would be a reasonably logical end to Bobby's long and difficult path this season, so it could be justified on that level. And for that matter, it would also be a sacrifice on the order of John Winchester's sacrifice, which would be thematically fitting.

So there was a lot to like about this episode; it's just that it seemed to end before coming to a strong enough conclusion to move the story towards the resolution of the apocalypse. The required story elements are still waiting to be triggered: getting the final two Horsemen rings and luring Lucifer back into his cage. Now only two episodes remain to make it happen. Unless the producers are going to break their promise and have the resolution spill over into the sixth season premiere (leaving the fifth season with a cliffhanger), I don't see how this can all be done without it feeling rushed.
  • Already holding my breath for the finale.

I still miss the Trickster, but I like what they've done with Crowley. I wasn't expecting to see him again, but they developed him well and brought him back in a way that didn't seem forced. I liked how from beginning to end he kept lying and proving that the boys couldn't trust him, but he never totally screwed them over. Hopefully Bobby knows that even if Crowley can help them find Death, he shouldn't count on getting his soul back. This episode seemed really tense, like the show is bracing itself for one hell of a season finale. Can't wait to see what they've got for us.
  • Crowley returns

Crowley is awesome! Yet another brilliant episode from Supernatural. This last few weeks have turned out top notch episodes; you only need to look at the top listed episodes to see this. Season 5 has been the best yet and season 6 will find it hard to top it. But I see no reason why it can't. If I have on gripe its how Sam was; he was really moody at the start. This didn't seem to make much sense; if anything its Dean who is usually obsessed with not trusting demons, especially when he thinks Crowley got Jo and Ellen killed. Yet how he was after was superb. So it was his best friend, possessed by a demon, that killed Jessica. 11th hour plot twist but it worked. A nice little continuinty there. Azazel really did like to mess around with Sam. Sam's plot, however, to try and take control of his own body is plain crazey. Has it not occured to him that the only reason he would ever say yes to Lucifer is if he was trying to trick him? He will fail, which I guess is why Lucifer wins Sam's body in the end. If he does, Dean will have to say yes to Michael. Will it honestly be a showdown between them for the final? If the pictures released are anything to go by, it would seem so. No Castiel again. And Bobby... NO!!! Selling his soul to Crowley!!! I'd have asked to be taken out of that wheelchair. I guess that's what he will ask for, albeit temperally.
  • the episode where dean and sam find a demon that is going to help them get the other two horsemens rings

i think this episode is a game changer bobby selling his soul to crowley and pestlnece and death walking free and around killing people and demons for their own pleasure .i really think that bobby dosen't need to sell his soul to crowley .why don't they just remove deans rib markings and death will come running sparing bobby . i think that sams plan about letting the devil posse him is not what he really wants to do but i think hes tired of watching dean gat his ribs kicked in and wants to help his brother but is this really what lucifer and michael wanna do ?
  • another unholy alliance formed

The devil you know is better than the devil you don't. At least in theory, right? The end begins and I can feel every. . .tense. . .minute of it. If this is Kripke's plan, great job. Still annoying though. In this episode, the brothers enter yet another unholy alliance to save the world and Sam confronts a few demons (some literal) from his past. Pestilence is raking through the country, carrying death, plague, and swine flu in his wake. Yes, Pestilence's idea of playtime is to infect the populace with swine flu. Joy. Crowley meets up with the boys, willing to align himself so he can save his demon brethren and his own skin. He's even willing to offer up how to find Pestilence: they need his handler, an annoying piece of demon named Brady, who, as luck would have it, is pulling behind the scenes of a pharmaceutical company looking to treat the new case of swine flu. The End is a lot closer than you know-Even though the opening scene might seem a bit like a throwaway, it unveils a subtle clue about the Croatian virus. Dean wonders why Pestilence, with all his batches of plagues, chooses swine flu. Let's just say I believe Pestilence is playing around until the real "fun" begins and is secretly testing the Croatian virus on the unsuspecting to finehone it and make sure it works. So when Sam finally says yes to Lucifer, the Croatian virus will be all primed and ready to go. Crowley, the unreliable ally-Is it so wrong that I really like Crowley? Yeah, he's unreliable and yeah, I'm sure he'd sell out the brothers in an instant if he was given the right incentive but, hey, at least he's honest about being unreliable. He doesn't try to hide the fact he's unreliable. He doesn't try to hide that he's only about preserving himself in this deal, unlike, say, Ruby. But the boys don't exactly have a lot of allies lining up to the table willing to help them and Castiel's still MIA so when in Armageddon, you have to make due. Crowley for now, is sincere in his offer to help the boys, and the way he made Brady squeal out Pestilence's location is nothing short of ingenious. Role reversal-I feel like I've been flipped upside down. Only a few year ago, Dean was the hot-blooded one while Sam was the calm voice-of-reason. Now it's Dean that's the logical voice of reason while Sam's cold, infallible brother. Weird.
    All demons, all the time-It was a refreshing change of pace to have the angels elsewhere this episode. Because as much as they're interesting, they are such screen-hogs this season. It was nice to have the show return to its roots and have good old traditional nasty-as-all-spite normal demons.
    Sam-As much as I love Dean, and I can't say this enough, but I'm glad that this episode took a break from his angst and focused on Sam. Sam's role this season has varied and more often than I would like, he was shunted off to the side when Dean needed to sort out his issues. I love both brothers equally and I just think they deserve equal attention, that's all. As a fan, (gripe alert!), I was disappointed that this season barely scratched the surface on how Sam's taking all this. Because he was the one who really set the Apocalypse off. The Horsemen, the plagues, the swarm of demons and angels making earth their battlefield, that's on Sam's shoulders. On top on that, he's found out he was always destined to become Lucifer's chariot-wheel in making the world a literal hell. Not to mention wrestling with his own personal dark side. That can't be easy on anyone. Yet this season glossed over a lot of that. Just like Lucifer and Michael rarely appearing, I lament the missed opportunities. End gripe. I could understand Sam's reserve towards Crowley. Ruby played him like a piano key and he doesn't want the same experience to happen to him ever again. Sam starts to concoct a deadly plan to snare Lucifer, one that could be his demise. He thinks that if he allows Lucifer to possess his body for a short time and Sam can hold him off, Dean can easily send him back to Hell. Bobby rightly tells him how bad an idea that is. Because Bobby barely fought off his possessor and he lost the use of his legs from winning the fight. Sam's thinking about having Lucifer possess him. Once Lucifer gets in, he's not getting out. Sam drops the subject but something tells me that might be his final plan. Sam's past turns up to bite him once again when he recognizes Brady as an old college-friend. And not just any friend. Brady was the one who introduced him to Jessica. Brady, or the demon impersonating Brady, fills Sam on just how much the demons screwed him. "Brady" was set in as a mole during the middle of Sam's sophomore year of college, swiping the real Brady's body while he was on a ski trip. Sam did notice a change of behavior but he chalked it up to alcohol and partying, normal college personality changes. "Brady" however, eventually perfected his host's personality and Sam went on, none the wiser. Brady set Sam up with Jessica because to the demons, she was a toy they could easily yank away if they needed to. It was Brady who set Jessica on fire, not Azazel. (I'm really not sure why the necessity of the retcon but I'll let it go.) Brady torments his old "friend" and Sam almost undoes the whole quest. He wants to kill Brady so bad, but he didn't because he didn't want to go off the deep end. Because good old brother Dean trusted Sam enough not to screw everything up after he needed to hear the truth. After Crowley has Brady done singing, he lets the boys deal with him, and Sam's given the opportunity for revenge. Brady digs in that Sam's just like the demons and that's why they're able to keep playing him. Because kin calls to kin. Maybe deep down, Sam's a demon as well. Sam's able to dust Brady, pondering Brady's final words. Whatever Sam is, human, demon, both, he'll fight for his own destiny. As if that wasn't enough, Crowley offers Bobby his help in Death's location in exchange for Bobby's soul. Crowley promises he'll give it back but I don't trust him enough to believe him and Bobby shouldn't either. But the end is coming and Bobby's desperate. I have a feeling he'll take the deal. Noooooo! Small complaint(s): Can we please, please, please cut to the chase. I really don't think I can take much more. Questions: Did Brady ever appear in Supernatural before? I don't remember him but then again, I don't remember everything over the last five years, so I'm not sure. How was Crowley able to summon a hell hound? Is that a power all demons possess or just the higher ups? Two episodes left and my tension is left unresolved. The finale better be worth it.
  • demonds can be trusted?

I do not know where to start but the ending was a terrifying silence, our dear uncle bobby selling his soul, karma is a thing of the same family that sells souls hahaahhah But in order crolwly is the demon baby can be haahhhha he wanted? yes I can miss the irony of him when he left cuz he'll actually die! and remember the words you know the "real" Ruby's 2nd temp "every demon has a purpose" and of itself is far from crolwly only get rid of lucifer. But knowing that the poor jess brady was killed that was a punch in the stomach and we thought it was a thing of azazel. Poor dean think it was a temp who got more of both demons and angels. but the scene of tense hellholds was funny and I would to see the dog's crowly hahaahahaa. But one thing is certain sam was a test to see if he can self-control, will it work with the big boss? I know not! bj cau!, anxious for the finish line!
  • Brilliant! When it comes to the endgame Supernatural knows how to keep you on the edge and always wanting more!

-------------Spoilers galore-------------------
    ;
    What a brilliant episode! After last weeks special appearance by the trickster/Loki/Gabriel this week they pull out Crowley another great addition in the brother's quest to capture the devil.
    ;
    At first when Crowley shows up we didn't know whether his offer to help Sam and Dean was serious or just another trick to save his own butt and throughout the whole episode this doesn't change.
    Although he delivers on his promise to get them the location of pestilence by offering a deal to the horsemen's stable boy, he tricks Dean and gets him quite a beating.
    Meanwhile, Sam who was left behind waiting while Dean and Crowley went after the stable boy, comes up with his new plan to get the devil into the cage in the end, by saying yes to him and once he's in the cage taking control over his possessed body. Bobby tries to set him straight over the phone, but I'm not really convinced that calling Sam to irresponsible to even control himself alone, let alone get control over the devil helps to convince Sam.
    The stable boy then turns out to be Brady, an old "friend" of Sam's from university, sent to him back then to keep Sam from getting to be a mild mannered lawyer and distract him. Since he was the one who introduced Sam to Jessica back then this causes quite some friction and after all of Sam's struggle with power and control, for a moment, when Sam decides to lock Dean away in the bathroom and have a go at Brady alone, I thought Sam would go back to his old ways and start drinking Brady's blood to prepare for his encounter with the devil. Fortunately Sam is able to see the bigger picture and doesn't just kill Brady, but let's Dean and Crowley get on with the negotiations.
    In order to get anything from Brady, Crowley has to spread the word that the trusted stable boy switched sides and is now fighting against the devil. Crowley turns a demon's nest upside down, leaving only one survivor to tell the tale. Unfortunately though this whole exercise leaves Crowley bugged and with a hellhound on his trail, heading for Sam, Dean and Brady. Just when you think Crowley zapped out and left them to die, he returns with his own hellhound (which is bigger *g*).
    While the dogs fight, the boys make their getaway and in the end secure a deal with Brady to get the location of the third horseman. Sam gets his revenge and kills Brady with the knife, before they head for the ring.
    Finally Crowley shows up at Bobby's house to offer him a deal: Bobby's soul for the location of the last horseman. Although Crowley promises that he will return Bobby's soul immediately and it will only be a loan, who can trust him after the way he tricked Dean just a couple of hours ago?
    But we don't get a conclusion as to whether Bobby will make the deal anyway and have to wait till the next episode.
    -----------------Spoiler over--------------------

This show is just brilliant and Supernatural just knows how to pull out all the stops in the final few episodes. It's almost torture not being able to watch the last 5 episodes back to back and having to wait yet another week only to be surely be left hanging with another cliffhanger.
    So kudos to yet another episode that leaves you wanting more!
  • Another great episode, and one that leads me to believe some awesome stuff is on the way! Warning, spoilers contained below.

Crowley is back in this episode, and he seems to still want to help Sam and Dean. But I just don't trust him, something about him is sneaky. We find out that Sam had demons controlling aspects of his life even before he knew it, and Sam finds out one of his friends who introduced him to Jessica and then killed her. At the end we see Crowley approach Bobby with a deal. I don't know what to make of the deal, but I have a feeling Bobby might go through with it. I still don't trust Crowley but I also realise that desperate times call for desperate measures. I am really curious to see how the next couple of episode will work out! So far things have been heating up quite nicely, I have a feeling something big is coming!
  • Means to an end

For the past few episodes I've wondered how they can stop Lucifer if the Colt doesn't work or if God or Gabriel can't without Dean saying yes to Michael. But as long as Sam doesn't say yes to Lucy then it's all a little delayed right? Although Crowley had a minimal role to play in "Abandon All Hope" Mark Shepard's presence on screen is powerful as he feels that both sides lose if Lucy wins so he gives Pestilence to the Winchesters in the hopes of trapping Lucifer back in the cage from whence he came from last season, sounds easy right? No, this episode is layered and highly enjoyable and a real shift from the slight comic relief/heavily paced Gods centric one last week. The end is nigh' and it's going to take all that the Brothers have to stop it, hopefully it'll work otherwise the world ends, no pressure though.
  • wow another great episode with only two to go of the season what will happen we got to see some of sam's past which was very cool now with only two options left and a long wait until season six begins the fans can't wait until more happens keep a going!!!

wow can I say wow another great installment of our favorite show of all time jared and jensen fantastic job as always what will happen to our winchester boys I can hardly wait for episodes 103 can't believe supernatural has made it to 103 episodes congratulations to the cast and crew on 103 episodes. The winchesters what will they do next time will tell can't wait go supernatural you rock have been watching the show since day one and the characters have grown alot these past five years and continue to grow and its all thanks to the cast and crew of the show
  • Gore, wit, character development, and a chilling twisty-revelation to an old murder that goes all the way back to the very first episode.

While this season has been a little off balance with the standalones, vs. the apocalypse (sometimes referred to Nopocalypse for the lack of real development for about 7 episodes midseason) since it picked back up with the stupendous "Dark Side of the Moon" Episode, the stakes have finally been amped up, the show has jumped back into serialized mode, and apocalypse is on bigtime. Last week's episode was brilliant for its use of multiple religions, etc. but it ended up stalling out in a way, and we lost a dear fan fave. However, that episode started on the last leg of the season, which now has the brothers on a race to find the remaining rings of the 2 horsemen left over. The episode begins with the brothers finding Crowley in the back of their car. After some skirmishing, the demon tells the brothers he's had his eye on them and wants to help with finding the last rings. He says he knows the demon who is in direct relations with the horsemen and he claims he can help the brothers get the information. Dean has to make a decision to trust a demon and leave his brother behind, mirroring Sam's decision with Ruby, but with thankfully more positive results. They capture the demon, but then it is revealed that the demon who goes by "Brady" happens to already know of the Winchesters, and has a history with Sam. We come to realize that Azazel's plan goes so far back that they killed Sam's college buddy and impersonated him. Then he set sam up with Jessica, and he was actually the one that killed Jess, not Azazel after all. Crowley then runs away when a hellhound starts to howl in the distance. Sam says "toldyaso" about trusting a demon, and the hound then comes in and attacks the brothers. However, Crowley shows back up with his own hound. "Mine's bigger" he says with a smirk, and he sicks the rather larger hound on the other one while the brothers make their escape with Brady. After convincing other demons that he and Brady are secretly together against Lucifer, (which was genius and HILARIOUS) Crowley forces Brady's hand on Pestilence's whereabouts, and then Sam gets to have his revenge, and kills the demon who murdered the woman he loved most. Afterwards Crowley shows up at Bobby's house and tells him that he can find Death as well if he can get Bobby to sell his soul for it. He claims that he doesn't want to keep it, but it's a spell that is foolproof and it'll only be a temporary loan. Overall, this episode was practically perfect: it had the necessary angst, the development, it even had an well-laid out twist that changes some of the mythos of the shows to be even more in-depth. The way the writers have the brothers coming into these situations and seeing the other side of it (the whole having to trust a demon, etc.) and getting ever closer to the end is just riveting. The climax: a vicious and intense brawl between two hellhounds was just awesome and at the same time, terrifying. The way the show is building up, it's shaping up to be one hell of a finale that might've originally warranted the original plan of a series finale, after all!
CW