Supernatural

The Mentalists

Aired Tuesday Nov 04, 2011 on The CW

• Sister Psychos

The Mentalists-An angry ghost goes after mediums in Lily Dale, the most psychic town in America, and the brothers have to figure out who the next victim will be from a population filled with nothing but psychics.

One thing I guess I could appreciate the writers for doing this season is bringing the show back to basics. It seems to be the trend of this season as while the Leviathans maybe the main antagonists, the series seems more episodic this year, focusing more on the brother's various cases than the actual main plot. "The Mentalists" definitely feels like a throwback to the first 3 seasons, especially Season 1. The storyinvolves scheme psychics being killed off one by one by a ghost. While the story starts off promising with some verygruesomedeaths, especially the opening where the psychic is impaled in the neck by aspirit boardmarker. But then, once the two psychic sisters come into the story, things become pretty predictable. It was pretty obvious that once it was revealed that one of the sisters were giving the psychics visions, that the other was behind killing them. Also the twist with the store owner being the necromancer didn't seem to help matters either. In the end, it's a story we've seen many times before from Supernatural and the writers didn't really add much to it.

At the heart of the episode is Dean and Sam finally coming to terms with Dean killing Amy. I guess Dean has a point about doing what he thought was right, especially when Sam was in no condition to be making decisions, considering he was losing him mind. Of course, Sam comes around and respects his brother for doing the right thing but this resolution between them just didn't have to happen.Usuallywhen there's conflict between the brothers, it's pretty heartbreaking but this whole betrayal fom Dean just never sit right from me to begin with and considering Dean contradicts his actions in "Shut Up, Dr. Phil" with Maggie and Don, it's hard to really be invested in this prettyover-dramatic turn of events. Meh, watchable, but no where as entertaining as it's trying to be.