Supernatural

The Song Remains the Same

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Feb 04, 2010 on The CW

• Besides Mark Pelligrino 'Supernatural' has something else in common with 'Lost'; great mythology. After months of filler episodes the so-called final season of the Winchester brothers is picking up pace with another flashback to the seventies.

5.5
    Usually flashback episodes are for later seasons, when a show has run out of things to say, for example 'Heroes' or upcoming 'Brothers & Sisters', but for Supernatural, the flashback to the Winchester parents are actually most important to the story and offer up background information that will spin your head. Because, referring back to the Lost comparison, it's destiny! "Free will is an illusion" and we're happy to accept so for the sake of the show's plot that Dean is going to kill Sam. In order to accept that kind of premise you have to be interested in mythology, but not enough to know all the details. True fans of the show might know what's going down all along, but for a newcomer like me, this kind of storytelling is what gets you hooked.
    Though all the snappy references from Dean were neither funny nor suitable for it's audience, the story itself was great.
    Dean and Sam have to go back in time, again, to stop their parents from getting killed by someone who's not Lucifer's friend.
    Ok, so I might not know everything that's going down. At least it's darn entertaining. This vital episode promises a lot of good during the end run of the show's current season, which for the past five years, has been marked as the end date. And if that promises more of this great mix of family problems and Bible mythology, then I'm in for the ride.
  • Anna's back and looking to kill Sam. When she can't do it in the present, she goes back to the past to kill John and Mary before the boys are born.

Holy smokes. What an episode! The writing team is back on their game with "The Song Remains The Same". Anna appears to Dean in a dream, tells him to meet her only, Castiel meets her instead. They talk, Anna reveals her plan that she is there to kill Sam Winchester. Castiel warns her that if she tries to kill Sam, that he will kill her. She leaves and appears back in 1978. Castiel, Dean and Sam follow. The trip back taking so much out of Cass that he sleeps it off in a motel room while the boys set out to protect their parents from Anna.
    She enlists Uriel's help to kill the Winchesters. The plan almost succeeds, if not for a little intervention from Michael. This episode had the right combination of wit and drama. It allowed us a peek into Michael and what his plans are. Dean and Sam have some tough times ahead. Hopefully the writers, won't let us down on the ride.
  • Trust Sera Gamble to take a plot premise that's been utilised on the show before and turn it into something resoundingly original and engaging.

Trust Sera Gamble to take a plot premise that's been utilised on the show before and turn it into something resoundingly original and engaging. Season four's superlative 'In the Beginning' sees Dean transported back in time to before he and Sam are born, thrown into the lives of his lovestruck parents and given the opportunity to change history so that his mother never succumbs to the brutality of the Yellow Eyed Demon. The song essentially remains the same here, natch, as a frighteningly militant Ana throws herself back to 1978 in an attempt to prevent Sam from ever being born and the brothers follow suit, struggling to resist the temptation to interject 'for the better' and put an end to what they perceive to be their miserable existence. In the hands of lesser writers, such similarities would render the episode frivolous and predictable. However, Gamble and co-writer Nancy Weiner know better and what results is a top notch marriage of dramatic ennui and mythological advancement.

The key to its success is all in the pacing. From the moment that Ana interrupts Dean's somewhat risque dream, it's heads down, pedal to the metal, no turning back. The narrative commences its trajectory, with the viewer believing that Ana has returned for honourable reasons and that her mission is of the utmost importance. There is an immediate sense of urgency established which permeates the subsequent sequences as we move directly into the resolution of this trope, bypassing any extraneous incident or moments of character introspection. The story just gets on with it, throwing twists and turns at us in glorious succession. Very quickly, we discover that Ana isn't trying to help the brothers at all and that her time banged up in Heaven has changed her. Cue a spectacular fight sequence, some wonderful two-handers between she and Castiel and a breakneck narrative that captivates just as much as it mesmerises. In any other show, this would form the meat of the episode, but not here. Instead, this is merely the preface to the main event as the plot shifts a few gears after only the first act, becoming something entirely different in the later stages.

It's a somewhat brave move to transform your story in this manner and to do it in such a way that effectively decreases the momentum. As Sam and Dean are (re)introduced to their young parents, the motifs change dramatically; the characters inevitably find themselves questioning what they can do, how they can prevent the seemingly inevitable from arising. While the show has touched on this before, it remains a relevant and realistic concept and is distinctly well-handled. Gamble addresses the issue and resolves it quickly, demonstrating to both parties that nothing can change. Essentially, they would be no better than Ana if Mary took their advice, divorcing John and running off into the sunset. It's heartbreaking to see them realise it, which is a testament to the strength of Padalecki and Ackles's respective acting talents, but it is a necessary epiphany and one that ties neatly into the episode's thematic web. Credit should also be given to the actors portraying Mary and John, who deliver whirlwind performances with what they're given, making it seem like they've been part of the show's framework since the very beginning, not simply since last season. John is particularly good when he discovers the truth about the demon world and even exhibits shades of Jeffrey Dean Morgan at times, most notably as he's insisting that he can draw the symbol on the wall.

Of course, in amongst all of this, there's the small matter of the debut of the one, the only, motherfracking angelic Michael to contend with. After easing the pace of the plot in the episode's mid-section, Gamble ramps it up again with this knockout of a sequence, mercilessly slaughtering Ana to begin and then unpacking a whackload of mythology on Dean's ass in a spectacularly shot and written scene. Remarkably for something so loaded with development, it comes across as rather methodical, feeling less like an information dump and more like a tempered, natural progression. Michael's likening of his own situation to Sam and Dean's and his rationale for occupying the Winchester's meat suit is very effective and adds further shades of grey to this already refreshingly murky paradigm. There's a notable sense of foreboding about the whole thing too, which is perhaps due to the eerily composed manner in which Matt Cohen plays the part.

A pretty darn spectacular episode then and one that recalls Supernatural's more recent penchant for playing with its own format, taking chances with its narrative and making brave and unconventional decisions regarding the structure of its stories. At once packed with mythology and resoundingly introspective, 'The Song Remains the Same' acts as a blueprint for how this show should operate, providing a thrilling roller coaster of engaging plot and insightful cornucopia of character examination at the same time. Predictably, Sera Gamble stands victorious again. Unquestionably brilliant.
  • The winchester seriously kick but

this was seriously one of may favorite episodes of the season and defnity make the top 20 out off all the seasons. I don't know how the writers do it but they keep finding ways too make the show new and fresh. I really couldn't care if they made one about speed dating jensen and jared would find a way too make it work. misha collins is also doing such a great job, and I am glad that they have kept him as a prement chacater, hes one of my favorites. But all in all a great episode that just kept me guessing! Go team freewill!
  • Definitely one of the best Supernatural episodes.

I'm not going to review the episode itself, since it's already been done well by a few people here, but I'd just like to point out some points in a few other reviews that were completely incorrect.

First up, the episode is a vital "plot-solidifier". What I mean by this is it gives the entire story behind why Sam and Dean actually have destinies a solid MEANING to them; not only by Michael's appearance, but also the fact that they travel back to the past. We learn a lot about Mary and John. It's a completely vital episode in the show's storyline.

The entertainment in watching this episode: Straight-up 10/10: it's funny, engaging, action-packed and dead serious when it needs to be. Plus the dreamy intro scene: f*** that got me going =P. I'm sort of an Anna-hater myself, (only her as an angel: she seriously fails to make the impression that she's actually an angel, seems more like some insecure stuck-up b****) so when she gets roasted by Michael, I was satisfied ;]. The 'action' isn't just the fighting: it's everything intense that goes on during the episode, and that tension was top-notch. A VERY simplified plot:
    "Sam and Dean go back in time with Castiel (who almost dies from the effort) to stop their young dad and mom (who's pregnant with Dean) from being killed by a now-evil Anna, who teams up with a young Uriel (who she kills in the future), and succeeds in killing Sam, when the long-awaited Archangel Michael appears (for the first time) in John's body, kills her, revives Sam, and 'corrects' their parents' memories and saves the day before introducing himself to Dean and giving him a revelation about his destiny!": Holy S***: a must-see episode. Even that's enough to tell you how awesome this episode's gonna be.

Favorite scene was when Michael finally appears and speaks with Dean. I was under the impression that he would act a little more 'badass' and talk more like Dean, but I have a feeling he will be, when he comes down in the 'present'. He still mirrors that attitude in young John's body though. It also seems like Castiel and Michael are gonna be the only two angels who aren't 'dicks'. I mean come on, Michael said he hates this whole deal as well and he wants to restore Dean when he's done with him, which means he actually respects humanity.
  • Anna returns

Well this episode was surprising, I thought Anna was going to be one of those forgotten characters. I guess, not on SPN. Anna comes back, to kill Sam so Lucifer can't use him as a vessel. I love how Castiel acknowledges the Winchesters (humans) as his friend, and the way he protected them, he might as well join the family. Dean & Sam go back in time to save their parents from Anna, although there was a point they were actually considering it, but oh too late. The whole trip seemed to be a waste, but it was all for the larger showdown. Micheal, The Archangel comes to tell Dean that he is going to say yes, it's fate. And he kills Anna in the process. Ouch. A great episode that was surprisingly eventful.
  • Back To The Future Part II-When Angels Go Bad

The Song Remains the Same-To prevent the Apocalypse before it ever starts, Anna travels through time to kill Sam's parents before they conceive him.

Finally, an episode that once again reminds us why this show kick a$$! Not only do we get episode devoted to the apocalypse, but anaother episode focused on the Winchestor family. Playing as a sequel to "In the Beginning" (one of my favorites from last season by the way!), "The Song Remains the Same" is just as impressive (if not better) than that episode.

The whole cast is in top form. Jared shows amazing vulnerablity when seeing his parents and finally getting to confess to his parents. Jensen showing Dean's great humor as well as desperation as he tries to save his family once again. Then Misha just being badass as Castiel. This episode marks the final end for Anna, but I can't say I'm gonna miss her. Anna was so sympathetic as a human, but once she became an angel, all that likeablility was gone. It's sad to see her gona only because another female recurring character bites the dust. This show has now killed all of them except Meg, seriously what up with that writers. Matt Cohen and Amy Gumenick return as Dean and Sam's parents and do a great job once again. This time we get to see John find out about the hunting and it makes for a priceless scene with the whole family in the car. Matt also does a great job of conveying some of his future characteristics, which was awesome. Amy was just lovely once again, I especially loved how she revealed she was pregnant with Dean.

But what really made this episode was during the climax when Micheal finally appears, in John's body and confronts Dean about being his vessel. Mirroring everything Lucifer told Sam, Michael tells Dean he has no choice in the matter and that it's his destiny to say yes whether he wants to or not. It's a chilling scene and the way Michael killed Anna was brutal. Once again, Deana dn Sam reassure each other that they won't be the vessels, but are also worried that maybe what they do to fight their destiny doesn't matter and in the end, they will be left to suffer the consequences. All and All, "The Song Remains the Same" was action packed, emotionally engaging and full of those great Supernatural twists. It was another excellent push in this apocalypse storyline and it actually makes you worried about the brothers once again.
  • Pretty good episode, just not exactly what I wanted to see. Warning, spoilers contained below

So Anna is back, good to see her, yet now I get a strange vibe about her, like she is not really that good after all. Anna's plan to stop Sam from being born seems too easy, I doubt it would have worked, but you never know. Well at first I was glad to see Anna, now I am glad she was killed. This was a pretty emotional episode, a good one but again it does not really further the main story arc thus far, which is what I really wanted. Anyways, it was really well done, and it makes you wonder if maybe Michael and Lucifer are right, if somehow Sam and Dean will really say yes after all. I wonder though, what will actually happen!
  • First time travel episode was awesome! Second was still pretty good. Third, not so much.

I've got to say I'm not entirely sure why this episode even exists. My only assumption can be that it was pure fan pandering, but I didn't realise that the young John and Mary were so popular. So maybe it's to advance the story or give extra insight into the character's past. Well other than finally meeting Michael and destroying a good character from last season it didn't do that either.

When I read the preview for this episode I had two issues right off the bat. Firstly if the plan was to kill the Winchesters just before Sam was born then surely continuity wise they'd need to have Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Samantha Smith (which would've been awesome but wasn't going to happen). Secondly Castiel couldn't even smite Meg so how would he have enough power to travel through time? These two issues actually proved to be irrelevant as they were well explained. That it was five years before the Pilot they could get away with using the same actors from "In The Beginning" and a lot of effort was put into making it believable that Castiel taking them through time was incredibly difficult for him.

But that still doesn't get around the main problem which was "what was the point?" I'm not entirely sure what we're meant to make of Anna's plan. Castiel insisted that if she'd escaped Heaven's prison it was because she was let out and if that was the case then why would Michael have stopped her? I guess we're meant to assume Cass was wrong here and she did escape. Still, as far as advancing the storyline nothing happened in this episode. We have no extra insight into John and Mary and the main story is no further forward making this a complete waste of time.

But maybe that could be said of entertainment in general. It's all just a distraction from our daily lives. So how does the episode rate simply as a piece of entertainment out of context of the whole series? Well it was decent enough; there's far worse ways you could spend an hour of your life than watch this. There were some good moments, as you'd expect from this show. Whilst I felt there was no need to see Amy Gumenick and Matt Cohen again as the young versions of Sam and Dean's parents that didn't mean I didn't enjoy it. There were some great moments here, particularly Sam saying how beautiful his mother was. It was a nice play on Dean finding her hot before, whereas for Sam it was a "wholesome family" manner as Dean put it.

There was also some good action, particularly how they distracted Anna so Sam could put up the Sigil and get rid of her, although I can't remember it ever smoking like that before… It was also nice to see a young Uriel here and the actor portrayed him very well here, making him seem perfectly believable at being a young Robert Wisdom. Although I have a question about how that could've affected the timeline. If he believed Sam and Dean were going to kill him then surely he'd never have gone along with them in season 4 regardless of his orders.

That said I hated how they treated Anna here. Supernatural hasn't had a great track record when it's come to female characters so to ruin one of the few good ones they had seemed stupid to me. Whether it was for the greater good or not or how sorry she was it still doesn't change the fact she tried to kill Sam and Dean (in fact she did kill Sam). Sure getting to hear Castiel's reason for not wanting to hurt Sam being because he was his friend was awesome and the effect when Michael killed Anna looked very cool, but it still wasn't worth it.

Which nicely leads me into pretty much the only worthwhile scene in the episode: finally meeting Michael. The logic for how he could use John as a vessel was great (in fact my friend and I were just mentioning the Cain and Able thing before he said it). The conversation was very well written but not perfectly executed. Cohen's not a bad actor but I think it's hard not to compare him to JDM. And compared to that legend not many have a chance. Still he didn't seem quite right as Michael, although definitely not bad enough to really hurt the scene. And while the mind wipe was necessary I found it a cheap cop out to undo everything in the episode.

So in the end this was a decent episode of television that served no purpose whatsoever. I'll admit had Smith and Morgan reprised their roles as Mary and John Winchester I'm certain this episode would be marked far more highly. However with or without their participation this episode was still completely unnecessary. Here's hoping they'll leave the time travel stuff alone now and just focus on the present.
  • The song remain the same is absolutely one of the best supernatural episodes ever.

First Anna B***h was ganked, wonderful. second, it's always fun to travel in time especially in supernatural and the young Marry and John are awesome, the appearance of Michal and the truth that why Dean is THE VESSEL and what he told Dean that he is like no other angel and that when he is going to leave Dean's body it's not going to be all broken and his mind miles away that's a great twist in the series, the million changes and decisions that led them to their destinies, all of them Marry, John, Dean and Sam. The family blood is what qualifies Dean to be Michal's vessel and that's why the angel got to John's body in order to save Marry, that was actually one of my biggest concerns, why Lucifer got the chance to find another vessel while Michal couldn't? Because if he could find alternative or even back up vessel like Lucifer did, then he would've killed the devil and BAM!! the problem is over for the Winchesters. But now we all know the real reason behind that whole problem which leads to one question is Sam and Dean are going to say the magical word "YES" or not? In my personal opinion -and that has nothing to do with the series end of course- that will I guess it has to be done, it's officially their DESTINY. But to know what will happen we all have to wait to see what's in Kripke's mind.
    I'm still trying to decide what is my favorite moment, is it when Dean told Marry the truth it was really emotional, or when Sam was talking to John about the way Sam's father raised him and Dean and that Sam understand and forgive his father, OR the scene when Michal was talking to Dean Wow that was Awesome scene, mmmm or when Anna got killed by Michal???? It's really a tough call, the easiest thing to do is to add this episode to my favorite list, there is always a place for more.
  • thats it ..>WOW! BLEW ME OUT!

one of the best ...what can i say..??

Thrilling till the end...When there is no hope left and every one is about to die... Micael turns up!!
    just speechless

CAstiel is back

we finally see micael....one hell ov an angel!

micael promises not to leave Dean 'Messed Up' after hez done wearing him

i still love deans young dad...his acting with micael wearing him was another example of excellence

the writers took care not to leave any weak spots like in the previous one

i think all dean has to do is give micael his body and sam should lay low for a while micael(wearing dean) finishes off lucifer( who is still in his untrue vessel)

thats it ...apoclypse over :D
  • So why don't you make like a tree and get out of here

What is it about Supernatural? After watching so many shows do the same old cliche over and over again and yawning (Doctor Who, despite being brilliant, falls into this trap, as does Heroes and FlashForward) Supernatural can take on a cliche and make it its own. Time Travel. Once again we get to see Mary and John, played very well by their respected actors. Despite the fact that they appear to age at least ten years in five, I enjoyed seeing them again. And Dean and Sam's talks with them added to the emotion. As was already established last time we went to the 70s; they can't change the past. Mary is doomed to be killed by Azazel and John is doomed to raise the brothers as hunters. Though they forget the events it's very clear.

What about Anna? Hmm... tricky one. It was never explained why she wanted them dead. Was she ordered to? Obviously not so I'm assuming it was all on her own back. Of course, this let us see Uriel again (clearly death is no stopper on this show, a bit like Buffy, yet even so you still worry for the charactors) and we finally got to meet Michael!!! And John's actor (really need to find out his name) was superb as the Angel (I could see he definately took some tips from Mischa Collins, who was unfortunately a bit underused in this ep). His illusion talk might have worried Dean but I agree with other reviews; God must come into the fray. I can't see any other way round this. Fantastic. Much much better than previous weeks. We finally got a sense of danger; what the apocalispe holds. Roll on next week! :)
  • Anna's back and she has a solution to the whole Apocalypse problem. Kill Mary and John Winchester before they have the boys. Seems simple enough. Castiel and the boys aren't going to sit still for this though. We also get to meet someone special!

Episodes like this always worry me. This one did, but it far exceeded my expectations. Dean and Sam with Castiel's help go back to before they were born and help defend their parents against an Angel attack.

***** Spoilers *****

Anna escapes or does she? She shows up and as she can't find Dean and Sam because of Castiel's little symbol action she decides to return to Kansas past and do away with Mary and John before the boys arrive on the scene literally.

When Dean and Sam show up at the door the look on Mary's face was priceless. Of course at this point she recognized Dean from before when her father died. I was really surprised when at the house Dean blurted out that he and Sam were their sons. Let's face it. When you've been attacked by an Angel I guess you can pretty much believe anything.

Anna summoning Uriel was a stroke of genius on her part especially as he is sort of a hothead. Anna was his boss too. Also the added revelation that these were the humans that eventually off him as well.

The surprise finish was just that. It does seem like we've met all the players in the match by now. I also like the little touch of relieving Mary and John's memories so that they will not be aware of what is coming.

That whole bit about no real free will was interesting. That's pretty brutal. Pretty much saying no matter what Dean wants something will eventually happen whether he wants it to or not.

Well done on the acting, writing, and producing sides of things. I especially liked all the old cars and the city streets and stores. Good job. A surprising satisfying tale from Supernatural. Thanks for reading...
  • Edge-of-your-seat from start to finish!

I normally always rate episodes but I seldom review them, however, since this episode was so fantastic I decided to make an exception:

I hate spoilers as much as you do so I'll try to keep it as clean as possible:

Sam and Dean travel back the the year 19(78?) to stop a "bad thing" from happening, sound familiar? It should, they did the same thing with "In the Beginning" (s04e03). Now you may be thinking "oh great, Supernatural is starting to recycle content", well, they're not, although it may be on the same period this episode is *nothing* like In the Beginning, although we get to see Mary and John again we also get to see some fresh faces we've been waiting a while to see and some old faces changing, the episode has a lot of twists and turns and the end actually did surprise, which normally rarely happens, I won't give any more away, go watch this episode, now, it's one of the best ones yet and it's absolutely not a "stand-alone" episode like the last two.

10/10
  • Go Team Freewill!

As soon as this episode began, it was clear that this would be a major turning point in the season arc. I haven't always liked the depiction or treatment of Anna since her original entry into the story, but it was very clear that her presence marked a mythology-heavy piece of the puzzle.

The writers had to walk a very fine line in this episode. Anna's plan is essentially the familiar "Terminator" plot: killer from the future goes back in time to prevent an obstacle to its plans from being born. The critical flaw to that plot is the needless complexity, especially when the assassin could essentially arrive at any point in time and make the necessary changes. Also, the more often the assassin fails to make a swift, clinical move to execute his or her plan, the less effective the plot device.

For much of the episode, it appeared that the writers were falling into the trap. Anna had several opportunities to kill Mary and John, even without Uriel's help. Too often, she seemed to hesitate, when her righteous surety wouldn't have allowed for it. Had the Brothers Winchester managed to defeat Anna and Uriel, then it would have been a deeply dissatisfying episode.

In that scenario, the story would have required that Mary and John know about the hunters, the future, and their own fate before much of it came to pass. While there's a certain power to the notion of Mary and John choosing to accept their fate, as a compelling act of long-term sacrifice, it also would have been rather messy in light of the overall series narrative. (Though, the idea that John Winchester might have been led to the hunting lifestyle by Sam and Dean would have been delicious irony.)

Instead, the solution was near-perfect: the long-awaiting first meeting between Michael and Dean. Not only did Michael resolve the problems with the "Terminator" plot, but he allowed the writers to have the best of both worlds. Sam and Dean were able to have all those incredibly awkward and unsettling conversations with Mary and John, yet have it all erased by an established reset button that wasn't. (After all, Team Free Will still remembers what happened.)

On the face of it, Michael's argument is deeply compelling, and adheres to one very popular religious interpretation of human existence. In short, there is a grand design to everything and for everyone, but the perfection of the plan is that the pawns don't ever realize that they are playing a destined role. Free will, the power of choice, is illusory; all the apparent choices still lead to the intended outcome.

It's not hard to understand, especially when the destiny is decidedly harsh and painful, why such an interpretation of existence would bring despair. And it's even worse when all the evidence points to that very conclusion. Mary came from a long line of hunters; John's family line goes back to Cain and Abel, the original story of Brothers with Issues. Dean had to feel as though the weight of predestination was coming down on his shoulders.

But here's the critical part: the entire plan hinges on a choice. In this case, two choices of identical nature. Michael and Lucifer cannot simply take Dean and Sam as their vessels and complete the plan on their own. They need the Brothers Winchester to make the conscious and willing choice to play those roles. And considering how much pressure each side continues to put on Sam and Dean to make that choice, there is a very real danger (from the angelic and demonic point of view) that they won't get what they want.

So while Michael kills Anna and puts the brothers back where they belong so that the timeline proceeds as he understands it must, all his explanations to Dean are not simple confidence. It's also a calculated effort to convince Dean that the choice is meaningless, because in truth, that choice is where the power lies. Right now, in this story, Sam and Dean are the most powerful beings in the world, because their choices define the course of history.

Which is why I am still convinced that God's true plan is not what Michael thinks it is, and why the previous discussion of finding God is still relevant. Anna was wrong to lump that mission in with the use of the Colt. The Colt was always a longshot; it wasn't designed to kill angels. More importantly, the brothers tried to use the Colt and it failed. That tactic was already disproven.

Finding God and going over the heads of Michael and Lucifer, and perhaps discovering the true plan (of which, necessarily, fooling Michael, the angels, and the demons into thinking they were right would be a part) has yet to be disqualified. In fact, because it was brought up and continues to be dismissed as impossible by the antagonists makes it all the more likely to factor into the story on one level or another. This kind of foreshadowing feels very much like what the writers did to prepare for Sam's eventual fall.

I'm still confident that this is gong to default to one of the basic differences between humans and angels in many traditions: that humans have the gift of free will. Sam and Dean have a choice, or Michael and Lucifer wouldn't be trying so hard to convince them otherwise. And when that's the ultimate conclusion one is meant to draw from an episode where characters are constantly saying they have no choice, it's just a sign of how strong an episode it was.
  • The road to hell is paved with good intentions Great epsiode

I loved the episode. And it was far sadder than I thought that it would be. The fact that Dean and Sam both got to have conversations with their Mom and Dad was awsome and I loved that Sam finally got to have some closer with his Dad about the issues that he had with him.

I loved the fact that Cas was thinks that Sam is his friend even though they don't really get along that well and that Cas is willing to go to the extremes to protect both Sam and Dean. I think that Cas does want to protect Sam just because he is his friend but also because he knows that A. it would probably not work and B. that it would destroy Dean whom he considers a true friend. Although I do feel sorry for Cas in that he just does not have the power that he used to and that he really needs to learn his own limitations.

I loved the scenes where the entire Winchester clan was together but it was also heartbreaking, because we know where that is all going.

Unlike most of the people I did not thinkt hat Micheal was as big a Dick as most people thought. To me he was just trying to convince Dean to do what he thinks is right, which may or may not be right. I also think that what Micheal did to the parents was more of a kindness than some people think. To know when you die and how is not a great thing for most people and it aleast gave John and Mary a few years of happiness which I doubt they would have had otherwise.

I also feel sorry for Anna. The old saying is true more times than not, The Road to Hell is Paved with Good Intentions. To me it also omade some sense as to why HEaven was so mad at her in season 4. I always thought that just because she fell was a little harsh to have that many people wanting you dead so much and Uriel really did not like Dean and to him it was because he still thought that Dean was going to kill him.. But for Anna trying to take out Micheal's vessel I think definately would have gotten her really high on Heaven's your totally screwed list.

I also was moved that they decided to put in the last scene where John and Mary were talking, to me it was touching and still very sad at the same time.
  • Once again the boys go back in time to see if they can stop a rogue angel from killing their parents.

okay, just watched it for the second time and I have to say it's just plain excellent! All the nuances, from "The angels are watching over you" to the 'change' in John's 'fortune' after Michael got hold of him was really perfectly represented.

There are a couple of small details that are bugging me just a little bit; Lucifer himself said he couldn't bring someone back from the dead. (this could have been 'long enough dead' as in the case of his current vessel's wife... I mean a decaying corpse isn't exactly... yeah. We saw that in Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things) However... we know that even demons can animate corpses and of course we're led to believe that angels can too because Jimmy got hit with a butt load of deaders the first time Cas showed up. (however he was already inside Jimmy and maybe just protected/healed him... [which is what I'm going with]) So... if Anna could "scatter Sam's cells across the universe so that Lucifer would never find them all... " [why not just unbind his subatomic structure down to its energetic components and make it a certainty?]...what was my point? oh yeah... killing Sam is wouldn't help which... you'd think the renegade armagedsquad would know.

I loved how Michael killed Anna, though I'm sorry she got turned. Anna's murder of Sam was an awesome surprise! It doesn't matter that Michael brought him back to life and put him back where he belonged, it works because the boys never should have had to go back anyway. Anna should never have been sent to lure the boys. (which speaks to the ego and Pride of the not so angelic higher ups who are going more and more deeply rogue. Not just taking tentative steps against God's edict's but starting down that slippery slope that's gonna get 'em all dead or at least severely grounded, in the end imho).

And I am curious about something that dangles in the realm of speculation as to how all this will play out.

And here's the other little detail...

So far the emphasis has been on "Change the past to change the future". We all know, as Michael stated, the past can't be changed. The boy's can't change the past because it would change them as they are now, which would inevitably change their respective futures, we know this. The boys know this. What I'm wondering if they're going to wind up contemplating is how to change the future by changing themselves in the present. Or are they going to (which is one thing I can't help hoping since Michael said he wouldn't leave Dean a drooling mess... [are the other angels just d***s for doing so, because they're envious and hateful of humans? or is he just that much more powerful?... I'm not sure which one I hope is the truth]... accept their predestined roles and go through it in order 'fulfill' the 'contract' as it were? OR the one I'd love to see... and I'd definitely like this one better; would be the boys sticking to their guns and refusing to be weapons, forcing the angels themselves to fight it out. (maybe trapping both of them in a circle of holy oil [it's a trap to angels but how does it affect humans? I mean a human could leap through a wall of flame and survive quite easily] then stepping through the fire, effectively tearing the angels out of them and forcing them to stay inside the circle until they finish it amongst themselves!). Whether they lived or died (and here you could have a little deus ex or maybe Cas could heal them who knows) they would have saved the world and fulfilled their destinies all the while making a choice of their own as to HOW it all went down.

Sorry, kinda went off the rails there... but fact is this episode impressed me incredibly, and left me with such wonderful things to think! Thanks for that.

Beautifully done to all the kast and krew.

and as always very special love to Jensen and Jared. Perfectly played boys.

thank you all for your hard work!
  • ONE WORD: AWSOME!

Guys, I can't say to discribe this eps. In my opinion this the best eps by the whole show for long that 5 years by supernatural. Kripke and gang really deserver congratulactcions for this.

First: There's so many moments that I like it in this eps, but I choose the best ones. So the conversacion bewten sam and jonh so emocional when sam said ; " I love you" dude may heart beat so fast! so sweet sam had a chance to make in peace with her dady. Dean and mary it's one the greats moments too so cute dean said that he remenber the lullay by song : "Jud", now we kown why dean likes the rock music.

Second: Let's talk about the angels: I've kenw that anna's angles showed her real face!she plan to kill sam so horrible, she no has felling for anyone. The surguys!

third: oh my uriel return so great surprise, but he still a kick an ass hahahahaha. And Miachel , dude, great playing the young jonh, that's so amazaing!

third: in the moral noone can't scape themselves desteny. But I hope god apper in save our boys that evil destiny!

kiss cau!
  • Anna is back and looking to wipe Sam from the face of the planet. Castiel has other plans and so we all take a little trip to meet the Winchesters in 1978.

This is the kind of episode that I love Supernatural for, its a mythology one but it is beautifully done and wonderfully acted. There is the perfect blend of story,tears,love and Dean's snarky humour. In fact, I know that they did a 'valentine's' episode but this one should have been it. It was about love. The love of a family and what they would do to keep each other safe. Some great moments in this:-

Sam shellshocked by meeting his parents and especially his mother. Jared played this beautifully.

Mary fighting Anna in the garage was superb and then Sam this time doing the sigil to banish Anna.

John just wanting to get on with the fight, and Dean being reminded of his father. Patience was never John's strong point.

I loved Sam's little confession to his father, finally getting to tell him that he loved him and that he understood why John had did what he had.

Dean telling his mother that he was her son and giving her the little things that he remembers about her that shows her he is be truthful. Mary's pain when she realises that her children ended up as hunter's after all.You could feel Dean's desperation, wanting to save his mother from her untimely death and his brother from his fate. One of the best scenes was the two brothers with their mother, pleading with her to leave their father, willing to sacrifice ever being to let their mother live. Her horror at the suggestion and then the confession that she is already carrying Dean. I love this moment the best, the acting was just perfect.

I always wondered how they were going to introduce Michael, worried actually, but this was perfect. Having him appear in John was a stellar idea, the acting again was spot on, young John and Mary are great assets to the show. We learn that Dean will not be left broken if he says yes. That made me wonder if the boys are going to agree because that would leave the way open for S6 if Dean did say yes and then Michael departed.

Overall this was one of the best mythology episode yet. I loved the idea, I love the whole family bond of love that shone throughout and I loved the acting. Go Team Freewill!
  • wow a fantastic episode anna died and we got to see mary and john and sam and dean saved from the angels and seeing mary pregnant at the end with dean was pretty cool can't wai for the rest of this season another great episode of supernatural keep coming

wow can i say wow another great installment of supernatural jared and jensen fantastic as usual can't wait to see what happens next for our favorite winchester boys seeing mary and john in the past was awesome and that mary is already pregnant with dean though michael shouldn't have erased their memories becaue when the time comes for yellow eyes what dean or sam didn't tell them was that sam has demon blood in him because of yellow eyes and why the angels want mary and john dead all and all this was a fantastic episode keep a rocken supernatural