Supernatural

Time After Time

Aired Unknown Jan 13, 2012 on The CW

• There is so much awesome in this episode I didn't know where to start!

I had to rewatch it and take notes to compile all the awesome into a list. Here it is!

-Sam: "What's the plan?" Dean: "Don't die." Great plan, Dean! Wish Cas and Bobby and Jo and Ellen and pretty much everybody else on Supernatural had thought of that.

-Dean: "Don't give me that dirty diaper look. I ain't calling you."

-No, it's Sheriff Sassy calling! And she can wake up Sammy any time she pleases, because I love her.

-(Don't anyone tell Sera Gamble this, but it is Sheriff Sassy's fifth time on the show. Clearly her days are numbered, but let's try to stave off the inevitable for as long as possible)

-Sam: "I can't believe I'm about to say this, but I hope you're watching cartoon smut, because reading Dick Roman crap over and over again is just self-punishment." Isn't self-abuse the whole point of watching cartoon smut?

-Dean: "It's called anime. And it's an art form." That's right, Dean, you stick up for your cartoon smut.

-Hee, I love how proud Dean is of his hacker skillz, and how jellus Sammy is!

-Dean: "How does paper beat a rock. It's stupid." Poor Dean, he finally stops throwing scissors but Sammy can read his big brother like a book. All that looking up to him, trying to be just like him, apparently. Dean's right about the stupid thing though. There's a good reason nobody ever throws paper in a riot.

-Sam: "You gonna look at more anime or you strictly into Dick now?" One of the most awesome lines ever! Also, love the look on Sammy's face.

-Sam: "The thing that's been mummifying people took him in a freakin' ball of light and disappeared."

Sheriff Mills "You guys get that a lot?"

Sam: "Yeah, more than most people."

There are lots of quotable lines in this episode. I am officially declaring writer Robbie Thompson awesome.

-Oooh! 1940s set with 1940s costumes and 1940s cars! It's all so awesomely 1940s! Even 1940s handcuffs!

-Oooh! 1940s music! (It is so awesome it deserved a bullet point of its own on the List of Awesome.)

-Hi Krycek! Hi! Didn't get enough black ooze on the X-Files I see, you're back for more. Well, stick around, apparently we're going to be swimming in it soon!

-Dean: "I'm twelve monkeyed anyway." Evidently, Dean watches a lot of movies in his downtime. Some of them repeatedly, like 50 times for The Untouchables. I adore the continuity of seven seasons later and Dean is still doing movie impressions and thinking he's great at it.

-Is Ezra Bobby's aunt or something? Even if she is no relation, I love her. She called them idjits.

-It's always so much fun watching Dean geek out about stuff. He's such a little kid about it, playing dress up, fanboying on Eliot Ness and impersonating the Untouchables. It's all fun and games until it dawns on him he could be stuck back there 20 years before the sexual revolution. Without even any anime.

-Dean: "He's using the Biff strategy." Love the Back to the Future references. A time travel episode just isn't complete without Back to the Future references. You gotta give credit where credit is due. Or go back in time and do it before them so they have to credit you.

-Love Dean and Eliot Ness playing WWII-era good cop, bad cop.

-And I'm really digging the fedoras! Both Dean and Ness cut a fine figure in them.

-Dean: "Sweet merciful awesome!" Yes Dean, that is a mighty fine trunkload of 1940s guns.

-Aw, a bottle of whiskey from Rufus, with a very Rufusian old note attached to it. Clearly Bobby won a bet.

-I'm really digging the Sam and Sheriff Sassy scenes. I hope they got really pickled together with the Rufusian whiskey.

-Sheriff Sassy: "Don't make me use my mom voice." Well, at least when Sera kills off Sheriff Sassy, she and Ellen can throw back whiskey, play poker and boss people around in a tough yet maternal manner together in the afterlife.

-And Back to the Future saves the day! Love Dean lying on the floor in the exact same spot Sam is 68 years later.

-Kronos is a great bad guy, he's not all one-dimensional. "I know your future. It's covered in thick, black ooze. It's everywhere. They're everywhere. Enjoy oblivion." But his other dimensions, not all that good either.

-No wait, don't end now, I want mooh cool, more 1940s music under the end credits!

CW