Supernatural

Time After Time

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Jan 13, 2012 on The CW

• Perfection!

Sometimes an episode comes along where absolutely everything just came together beautifully. That's the case with Time After Time. The writing, directing, ac ting, sets, costumes, music, lighting, props, hair, make-up, it was all perfect, and fit perfectly together. There was not a single quibble I had to handwave away. It was a joy to watch.

It was all so well done it didn't even bother me that Sam and Dean were apart for much of it. (Obviously they're trying to lighten the schedule load on Jared and Jensen a bit.) And I thoroughly enjoyed both their parts in it, and their interactions with the other characters.

It's always fun to watch Dean get a kick out of things, and he was just stoked he got to play Untouchables with none other than Eliot Ness. Landing Nicholas Lea for the role was a real casting coup. In fact, all the guest stars were top notch this episode.

And I enjoyed even more watching Sam with Jodie Mills. In part because I think the Sheriff is awesome, but also because in recent years we don't often see Sam connecting with people other than Dean and Bobby. In the beginning, it was Sam who was more social, keeping in touch with his friends from Stanford and having more of a way with the people they met along the way, whereas Dean was more of a lone wolf without as much social finesse. They switched sides on this just as they have on so many things. It used to be Dean who was more ruthless, more committed to hunting, and more in agreement with their father's decisions, but gradually Sam took over these positions as Dean moved away from them. The same is true on this count, as Sam hardened through his struggles with the dark side he became less social, while Dean developed closer ties to people and better people skills. So it was really good to see Sam interact with Jodie. I hope we see a lot more of her. Alive.

After a great time-travel story, I really liked the way they brought it straight back to the mytharc with a spine-chilling warning from Chronos. The Leviathans are everywhere and their future is covered in black ooze. That really left me looking forward to the next episode, which sadly is three weeks away.

BTW Canadian peeps, Space moved Supernatural up from Wednesdays to Sundays. So now only two days to wait to see it without any annoying bottom-of-the-screen CW promos.
CW