Surface

Episode 112

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Jan 09, 2006 on NBC

• Bravo to Martha Plimpton's exposition of an essential 'plot point' -- with the addition of doing so from a 'she-coon of womens' lib' (appologies to Jerry Clower)perspective!

Just can't say enough about Ms Plimpton's characterization of the 'bad' secret agent. Her portrayal leaves the 'thugs' chasing our heroes so far in the dust as to be 'non-characters' in the entire series.

Intellectual, apparently well-read in fields other than her 'specialty,' and possessed of a variety of atypical skills, Ms Plimpton gives us (IMHO)a very well-thought-out portrayal of a techno-thriller character whose motivations aren't all negative. (By the way: she also confirms [at least to me] that she's not a 'one trick pony' as an actor: she doesn't portray the same thing(s)in each character she plays.)

Perhaps the writers deserve a big chunk of the credit due her scenes: note how cleverly ambiguous most of her answers are to the questions posed to her. Is this really a 'government agency' given a clever nickname "The Corporation"?

Also intriguing are developments with Miles: if there's a genetic connection between him and Nimrod (apparently, the latter's saliva [or whatever passes for that in this creature] healed his wounds [as Ms Plimpton's character more or less confirmed]), what're Miles' yuppie parents gonna think? Who'll they sue?!!?

More to the point: what'll Miles do? Not often mentioned in the reviews of this show I've read, the societal impact of what this show proposes is, I think, quite germane. Sure: it's science fiction so it doesn't really count; however, the basics of the plot are current-events NON-fiction: gene-splicing/mixing/designing has been happening for some years, and 'mistakes' are always possible.

Another reason I like this show: it gives me interesting things to consider during the quiet times in my days.

Thanks!