Surface Forums

NBC (ended 2006)

Surface CANCLLED

bowling255

[1]May 15, 2006
    • level: 66

It is officaly canclled

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/pr.aspx?id=20060515nbc01

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

LincolnBurrows

[2]May 15, 2006
    • level: 7
    They can't just leave it like that.   NBC better bring it back still, or else some other network should pick it up.   Yeah, I'm looking at you Sci-Fi...

kingman99

[3]May 15, 2006
    • level: 2

While the show had merit the writer's wrote the scripts like it was a step child. It is not the kind of series that could endure more then two or three seasons because of the way they scripted it.

With better writers this could have been a winner.

Sorry to see it go, may be sci-fi will pick it up.

broncoboy0622

[4]May 15, 2006
    • level: 4
    Someone has to pick up Surface. WB, Sci Fi, hell MTV? Just somebody please pick up this show

newantt

[5]May 15, 2006
    • level: 2
    2nd NBC show ive watched regulary and cancelled....screw NBC. im not watching anymore from them 

broncoboy0622

[6]May 15, 2006
    I got your back brother. I'll watch the HIGHLIGHTS of SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL ON ESPN. @#$% NBC!!!

InfamousJR

[7]May 15, 2006
    • level: 13
    LincolnBurrows wrote:
    They can't just leave it like that. NBC better bring it back still, or else some other network should pick it up. Yeah, I'm looking at you Sci-Fi...

Come on SCIFI don't let us down

akademien

[8]May 15, 2006
    • level: 3
    God damnit. This sucks. Why do the USA cancel all the good shows? Turds.. Pick it up NOW..

dandrayan

[9]May 15, 2006
    • level: 8
    It's a sad day indeed.  What's it take to start your own television network?  It might be the only way to finish great under-appreciated series like Surface, Invasion, Carnivale, Space: Above and Beyond, and many others I've loved but were canceled.

MDB316

[10]May 15, 2006
    • level: 13
    [This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
    Edited on 05/15/2006 4:09pm

Rezdogg

[11]May 15, 2006
    • level: 1
    While I see that Surface was omitted from the press release... wasn't it a summer series anyway?  Sort of a non-sweeps-week kind of niche show?  I guess what I am getting at is maybe the show will come back as a midseason replacement for a failed new franchise or possibly a summer show after the fall shows sign off for the year.
    Edited on 05/15/2006 3:48pm

broncoboy0622

[12]May 15, 2006
    No it's a fall program!!!

tvguy8472

[13]May 15, 2006
    • level: 7
    dandrayan wrote:
    It's a sad day indeed. What's it take to start your own television network? It might be the only way to finish great under-appreciated series like Surface, Invasion, Carnivale, Space: Above and Beyond, and many others I've loved but were canceled.

Umm...a lot of money, I think.

Rezdogg

[14]May 15, 2006
    • level: 1
    Well, maybe since this is a family affair (the Pate brothers) they will fight to keep the show alive and pitch the show to The CW or SciFi or something.  But it seems like they knew the end was coming, I read an article a while back with one of the Pate brothers and he seemed to know the cancellation was coming... which kind of led them to write the season one ending the way that they did.

VanVoorhis

[15]May 15, 2006
    • level: 5

I think it's a mistake on NBC's part to cancel this show.  It seemed to be building lots of interest toward the end which, when combined with promotion via DVD, could have seen this show EXPLODE in the ratings in the second season.  Hopefully another network will pick it up.  It can't be that expensive to produce, there are no "stars" in the cast and the FX are probably the biggest expense.

I just wish some of these network honchos would learn from history, remembering that the BIG hit shows are often not BIG ratings winners in their first season.  With current practices, "Cheers," "Seinfeld," and "The X-Files" never would have last beyond their first seasons; and they all ended up becoming TV classics and running 9-11 seasons.

So, I hope you're listening, network execs.  Everytime you cancel a show after one middling season, you could very well be killing the golden goose that would carry your network for the next 10 years.  But I guess it's en vogue in network programming today to keep starting over at square one with a completely new show if a show isn't a ratings barnburner out of the box.

Edited on 05/15/2006 5:20pm

QuackerJackets

[16]May 15, 2006

Does anyone know "Sci-Fi's" email address or address we send letters to in order to beg them to pick up the show? What other stations are worth trying to convice to pick up the show?

Minarvia

[17]May 15, 2006
    • level: 39
    VanVoorhis wrote:

I just wish some of these network honchos would learn from history, remembering that the BIG hit shows are often not BIG ratings winners in their first season.  With current practices, "Cheers," "Seinfeld," and "The X-Files" never would have last beyond their first seasons; and they all ended up becoming TV classics and running 9-11 seasons.

But that was a different time for all those networks, where they would take a risk, now a days it looks like that they won't take a risk, if the show pulls decent and good numbers kept it, but if a show pulls bad numbers, yank it off the airs, the hell with its fanbase.  That is the reason why I was so happy that the SF Channel took a shot and air new episode of Doctor Who, which it seems to be pulling in Stargate SG-1 numbers. But, to get back to my point, as I stated before when their shows aired, it was a different time for them, for one when "Cheers" and "Seinfeld" aired, NBC was a its height of its power and could take a risk. Also with the "X-Files", FOX was still trying to make a name for itself and the "X-Files" did for them.

MaxoidRodi

[18]May 16, 2006
    • level: 17
    QuackerJackets wrote:

Does anyone know "Sci-Fi's" email address or address we send letters to in order to beg them to pick up the show? What other stations are worth trying to convice to pick up the show?

Here is their email address: feedback@scifi.com

And by the way, I think that the only quality show left on NBC now is LAS VEGAS! I seriously do not watch anything else on this network. After the end of Friends it became so "old" and I couldn't be intreseted in any of their other shows including Law and Order... Cancelling Surface now is a mistake indeed.

VanGriffin

[19]May 16, 2006
    • level: 8

I don't understand NBC. As the show did not make "great" ratings it still made ratings. It was a constant in the top ten downloads for Itunes TV shows.

Shows on other networks which had horrible ratings (the O.C for one) are coming back.

What on earth are these exectives thinking?

blackIceJoe

[20]May 17, 2006

Just incase any one wants to sign a petition there is one here.

It most likely will do nothing but it can not hurt to try.

http://www.petitiononline.com/surface/petition.html