Survivor

Breakdown

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Feb 09, 2006 on CBS

7.8
  • I agree with previous reviews that merging the four tribes into two this early seemed a little premature. However, still a very interesting episode in its own right.

So Jeff calls the tribes together and an old-fashioned school yard pick ensues, with Bruce being neglected. My first instinct was that Bruce was being sent home, ala Jonathan and Wanda from Survivor: Palau. How horrible would that be. But there was already Tribal Council, so it didn't seem to fit. No worries. He's Immune!
    He goes to Exile Island, skips Tribal Council and then joins the losing team after they vote out one of their own.
    Bruce gets 3 days on Exile Island. THREE DAYS to try and find the Hidden Immunity Idol. If he can find that, the power totally shifts to him. From being the only person not picked, to having a precious Idol would be quite a swing. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like he found it.

So from 4 tribes of 4 from the premier, we're down to 2 tribes of 7 by the end of this episode.

The new La Mina tribe consists of Austin, Dan, Misty, Nick, Ruth-Marie, Sally, and Terry.
    The new Casaya tribe consists of Aras, Bobby, Cirie, Courtney, Danielle, Melinda, and Shane. Casaya ends up losing Immunity, with Melinda going and Bruce replacing her.

The interesting thing in this episode was watching Shane lock down a 4-person alliance as soon as they came back. He picked Aras and two of the younger women. That's a good balance of 2 men and 2 women. Apparently Bobby is on the outs already, and original tribemate Aras could care less. Interesting. On the other camp, each pair of original tribemates made an alliance with each other (Trish and Sally, Dan and Terry, Austin and Nick, with Ruth Marie being the odd one out due to Tina's elimination). Will be neat to see how this all plays out now that we have some loose original bonds (or not).

Another fascinating thing was crazy Shane asking to be voted off because he was in one of his moods. His alliance-mates knew this would be horrible for them (a 3-person alliance being much weaker than a 4-person alliance, especially in a 7-person tribe), and, especially Aras, convinced him to stay. Which he did.

Shane was quite rude/upfront to Melinda and Cirie (the Older Women), telling them that whichever one didn't go tonight would go at the next tribal council. If I had a penny for everytime I hear that in Survivor...