Survivor Forums

Wednesday 8:00 PM on CBSIn Season

And the winner of Survivor Samoa is..... (Major spoilers obviously)

imbrugliasboy

[41]Dec 21, 2009
    • level: 3

Well i for one didn't see anyone other than Natalie winning this since it became apparent that Russell was going to take her to the final. All you guys saying she did nothing to deserve the win are missing the point. She chose to align herself with Russell, she let him make all the unpopular moves and didn't make herself unpopular with the people who have to vote the winner. You know this game is about more than finding immunity idols and deceiving people don't you? You can't go to the jury as arrogantly as Russell did when he'd pretty much lied to and abused all of them.

He actually recognised that none of the others were playing even a remotely similar game to him and yet he expected them to applaud his game and award him 1 million dollars. He failed to find any empathy with the jury and payed the price for his one dimensional game. I guess we'll see if he's learned his lessons on the next series!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Brodoin15

[42]Dec 21, 2009
    • level: 20

I'm starting to think that people are not only mad Russell lost, but that Natalie didn't deserve it. Kind of a double wammy. I still think Mick deserved it more than Natalie. Even Jaison did.

I just don't get why Russell lost because Natalie was there. She didn't do much of anything. She was nice, but Russell played the game. That is what is meaningful, that is what is important.

I know that even if I hated Russell's guts that I would vote for him to win if I were in the jury. He played the better game. He deserved the title.

At least he got the 100 thousand and will most likely be in next season.

ImNotDarioUAre

[43]Dec 21, 2009
    • level: 11
    imbrugliasboy wrote:

Well i for one didn't see anyone other than Natalie winning this since it became apparent that Russell was going to take her to the final. All you guys saying she did nothing to deserve the win are missing the point. She chose to align herself with Russell, she let him make all the unpopular moves and didn't make herself unpopular with the people who have to vote the winner. You know this game is about more than finding immunity idols and deceiving people don't you? You can't go to the jury as arrogantly as Russell did when he'd pretty much lied to and abused all of them.

He actually recognised that none of the others were playing even a remotely similar game to him and yet he expected them to applaud his game and award him 1 million dollars. He failed to find any empathy with the jury and payed the price for his one dimensional game. I guess we'll see if he's learned his lessons on the next series!

Yes that was Natalie's strategy but the point is that countless other survivors had ridden coatails to the final three and none of them were ever given a second glance. This was a revoltionary season in that a player choosing to do nothing and riding alont with a player who did EVERYTHING was seen as a good strategy. This has never happened before and frankly it shouldnt.

SludgeVohaul

[44]Dec 21, 2009
    • level: 7
    I can't believe everyone on this forum claiming that Russell deserved to win this! I was a Russell fan from the very beginning of the game. I even choice him in my Survivor group's pool to win before the first episode aired. Survivor frustrates me win coattail contestants win the game, so I didn't want Natalie, but that doesn't change the fact that Russell didn't deserve to win.

Everyone is going on and on, but you have to remember the three words are outplay, outwit, outlast! Russell didn't outlast Natalie. She outlasted him. The winner isn't the person who out-entertains the TV viewers. So while I think Russell was one of the most entertaining Survivors ever, that does not qualify him to win in any way.

We all saw in the Reunion show that if Russell hadn't made the crucial mistake of voting off Shambo and Jaison, he would've won. He made that huge blunder because he was so scared of Brett. He messed up big time right there!

Also, in every season of Survivor we see that rarely does the most cocky and arrogant player ever win. Russell was way to cocky the entire game. Did He really think he had Brett's vote when Natalie had been sweet bible talking him the entire time? People need to stop saying Russell should have won, when he was so cocky that he antagonized the entire jury during countless tribal councils.

I wanted Russell to win. He was so fun to watch. But he didn't deserve it, because he didn't outlast everyone.

mumbleboy

[45]Dec 21, 2009
    Dude, first off, Natalie didn't outlast Russell, technically speaking. They both made it the same distance, which is the whole way through, so that shoots down your main argument. But the other thing is, sometimes the nicest people aren't the most deserving. Yes, Russell was an arrogant little douchebag the entire time, but he outplayed and outwitted everybody by FAR. He played the most strategic and crafty game this show has seen in a long while.

SludgeVohaul

[46]Dec 21, 2009
    mumbleboy wrote:
    Dude, first off, Natalie didn't outlast Russell, technically speaking. They both made it the same distance, which is the whole way through, so that shoots down your main argument. But the other thing is, sometimes the nicest people aren't the most deserving. Yes, Russell was an arrogant little douchebag the entire time, but he outplayed and outwitted everybody by FAR. He played the most strategic and crafty game this show has seen in a long while.

Dude! Are you aware of how Survivor works? I know sometimes they edit the last day with all the contestants that go to the final tribal council all happy-go-lucky on the beach, but that does not mean they make it the same distance! Natalie got farther than Russell because she won the game!!!!! #1 and #2 are not the same distance!!!

Yes, I agree with you that Russell played the most strategic and crafty game, but guess what? His strategy failed. He made a terrible decision taking Mick and Natalie to the finals with him. In his own arrogant mind he really thought he was going to beat Natalie. He should've paid more attention about all the bonds Natalie was making with Galu.

Again, I wanted Russell to win and I hate Natalie. But the name of the game is not "Make it to the final tribal council and the craftiest person wins." Natalie outlasted Russell because she won the game and Russell lost!!!!! That's a fact. It cannot be changed!

longterm60

[47]Dec 21, 2009
    • level: 3

Probably the greatest winner ever was Fireman Tom [the 'Tominator'] who kicked every body's butt in ICs after the merge AND they all liked him because of his excellent interpersonal skills and hard work on behalf of his tribe before the merge. Russell didn't win much of anything himself until the last IC, he mostly Richard-Hatched folks into voting against others. And he went out of his way to anger and belittle others. So, IMHO, Russell didn't play that great a game - he mostly damaged others rather than doing things to build himself up and he failed to understand that the end game is to win the final vote at the jury. If he hadn't in effect won the lottery by finding the HIIs [good for him] he would never have gotten close to the Final 3 - they would have taken him out a long time before that.

And I really didn't like his sour grapes sour puss at the reunion. Talk about a really bad sport!

He'll be in Villians, I expect, but he'll last about as long as Johnny Fairplay did in All-stars!

Edited on 12/21/2009 1:44pm

mumbleboy

[48]Dec 21, 2009
    SludgeVohaul wrote:
    mumbleboy wrote:

Dude! Are you aware of how Survivor works? I know sometimes they edit the last day with all the contestants that go to the final tribal council all happy-go-lucky on the beach, but that does not mean they make it the same distance! Natalie got farther than Russell because she won the game!!!!! #1 and #2 are not the same distance!!!

Yes, I agree with you that Russell played the most strategic and crafty game, but guess what? His strategy failed. He made a terrible decision taking Mick and Natalie to the finals with him. In his own arrogant mind he really thought he was going to beat Natalie. He should've paid more attention about all the bonds Natalie was making with Galu.

Again, I wanted Russell to win and I hate Natalie. But the name of the game is not "Make it to the final tribal council and the craftiest person wins." Natalie outlasted Russell because she won the game and Russell lost!!!!! That's a fact. It cannot be changed!

"Outlast" is in regards to how long you last IN THAT SETTING. They all made it to day 39. End of story.

Plus, do you think it would have been wiser to take Brett over either of them. It doesn't take a dumbass to know that Brett would've won due to all the jury being Galu.

FunnyRoger

[49]Dec 21, 2009
    • level: 6

For **** sake. Just finished watching final and im pissed off. Those morons wernt voting for Natalie but against Russel. One of the worst juries ever. And i thought Erik will start to cry when he started to tell how deserving and good player Natalie are, he tried so much to convience jury and sadly he did..

And to all those who are posting here "omg omg im so happy Russel didnt win, go Natalie!" you are doing same thing what jury did - voting against somebody not for somebody. If there wasnt Natalie but somebody else you would vote for him just because you dislike Russel, no because that , that somebody deserves it.

Great season, retarded final.

Edit: o ye, and Jaison crying about how bad Russel is and how he cheats as just stupid. Its not a bloody RL, its a game , in game there is different rules than there are in real life, how hard can it be to understand that?! Oh and when Russel backstabed and lied to others it was ok, but when he votes out Jaison he suddenly realises that Russel is bad and starts to cry about it.

Edited on 12/21/2009 2:27pm
    Edited 3 total times.

charley28

[50]Dec 21, 2009
    • level: 66
    I thought it was hilarious.. you could see how pisssed off russell was. I thought it was kind of funny that he was going to give Nat $10,000 for the title of sole survivor.

kind of ticked me off that they talked to everyone except for john. Granted they barely talk to the ones that were voted off early but nothing for him. that sucked. i'm just glad that it's over. I really didn't like the last 3 anyway to begin with. What i can't wait for is the next season.. Heroes vs Villians... oh that is going to be too awesome

HaydenAvery

[51]Dec 21, 2009
    • level: 21
    i am so glad that natalie won. should of been brett but better than that overconfident undeserving russel.

FunnyRoger

[52]Dec 21, 2009
    • level: 6

HaydenAvery wrote:
    i am so glad that natalie won. should of been brett but better than that overconfident undeserving russel.
    thx for proving my point that people just vote against somebody , not for somebody who deserves it.

Edited on 12/21/2009 2:41pm
    Edited 2 total times.

SludgeVohaul

[53]Dec 21, 2009
    mumbleboy wrote:
    SludgeVohaul wrote:
    mumbleboy wrote:

"Outlast" is in regards to how long you last IN THAT SETTING. They all made it to day 39. End of story.

Plus, do you think it would have been wiser to take Brett over either of them. It doesn't take a dumbass to know that Brett would've won due to all the jury being Galu.

End of Story? What show are you watching? They don't reach day 39 and then just stop the game! The final tribal council is part of the game! Yes, the Survivors do in fact have to outlast during the final tribal council as well! Then it's end of story, which is why Russell ended at #2!

I definitely didn't say that Russell should have taken Brett. He just should've been thinking that he needed to stab Mick and Natalie in the back instead of Shambo and Jaison. Entertaining, yes. Perfect strategy, no.

chaotic_midget

[54]Dec 21, 2009
    • level: 8
    SludgeVohaul wrote:
    mumbleboy wrote:
    SludgeVohaul wrote:
    mumbleboy wrote:

End of Story? What show are you watching? They don't reach day 39 and then just stop the game! The final tribal council is part of the game! Yes, the Survivors do in fact have to outlast during the final tribal council as well! Then it's end of story, which is why Russell ended at #2!

I definitely didn't say that Russell should have taken Brett. He just should've been thinking that he needed to stab Mick and Natalie in the back instead of Shambo and Jaison. Entertaining, yes. Perfect strategy, no.

So instead of backstabbing the two he did, he should instead backstab the two he took? How does that make sense? They may have taken an impromptu vote but that's no guarantee that Russell would have won. Everyone didn't even vote. They only polled 7 people and there's no guarantee that Natalie and Mick wouldn't have voted for Shambo or Jaison to win it all. Point is that his game should have been respected more than the non existent one that Natalie played. If all it takes to win the game is to hide behind an enforcer, act polite and talk about religion to people, I'll join right now and dominate.

swtt

[55]Dec 21, 2009
    • level: 18
    100% I don't think Russel deserves to win the money, but he could deserve the title for being the best player like ever. I don't believe Nat should've been the winner and definitely not the best player ever, but I would rather see her than Russ get it.

chaotic_midget

[56]Dec 21, 2009
    • level: 8
    Also, analysis about Survivor China from wiki:

At the final Tribal Council, Herzog was confronted for his actions by every jury member. While Kimmel was criticized for apologizing too much and not giving direct answers and Yates for riding on coattails, he was seen as the most deceiving and manipulative of the three. Jean-Robert, in particular, interrogated Herzog on why he betrayed their alliance, to which Todd admitted his fear of being eliminated by him. Although he had lied, the jury felt that he was the most honest about it and was playing the game since day one, unlike Courtney.

I hated the decision at the time but in the end, they did make the correct choice. This is how the game should be decided and how the jury should be voting. Even Amanda played a better game than Natalie did, even if her final TC was atrocious. Russell admitted every single move he was questioned on and this season's jury held it against him. That's just absurd. It's sad when Shambo is the only one who realized that Natalie did nothing and that Russell did everything.

mumbleboy

[57]Dec 21, 2009
    chaotic_midget wrote:
    SludgeVohaul wrote:
    mumbleboy wrote:
    SludgeVohaul wrote:
    mumbleboy wrote:

So instead of backstabbing the two he did, he should instead backstab the two he took? How does that make sense? They may have taken an impromptu vote but that's no guarantee that Russell would have won. Everyone didn't even vote. They only polled 7 people and there's no guarantee that Natalie and Mick wouldn't have voted for Shambo or Jaison to win it all. Point is that his game should have been respected more than the non existent one that Natalie played. If all it takes to win the game is to hide behind an enforcer, act polite and talk about religion to people, I'll join right now and dominate.

Thank you for proving one of my points. Seriously, he's saying that Russell didn't deserve to win because he played a dirty game, yet suggests that he should have been even DIRTIER by backstabbing more of his allies.

SludgeVohaul

[58]Dec 21, 2009

chaotic_midget wrote:

Again, we are only discussing hypothetical situations now. The game is over and Russell officially lost. No matter how many people say he should have won, doesn't change the fact that he lost! Actually on the show Jeff Probst did include Mick and Natalie in the "fake" poll. I understand what you are saying, and like I said in every single one of my posts I wanted Russell to win! But he was so cocky and he antagonized all of the jury so much that they chose to give the million dollars to some girl who no one will ever remember. You can't just ignore the fact that Survivor does have a "social" aspect to the game. I think the coattails strategy is stupid, but ever since Vecupia or whoever was the first one, everyone sees that as an option when they don't have the mental skill. It is a real part of the game though, so even though I think it's dumb, it still means Russell didn't realize that taking Natalie was a mistake.

SludgeVohaul

[59]Dec 21, 2009

mumbleboy wrote:
    Thank you for proving one of my points. Seriously, he's saying that Russell didn't deserve to win because he played a dirty game, yet suggests that he should have been even DIRTIER by backstabbing more of his allies.

Hold your horses there cowboy. You can go review all my points. I never said that I had any problem with how dirty he played the game. I stated multiple times that Russell was the most entertaining Survivor and that I wanted him to win. My point was that it doesn't matter if Natalie's strategy was no strategy at all, but Russell angered the jury and Galu so much that they preferred to give the money. And that is all part of Survivor. You can't just go willy nilly threatening all the Galu members and being the cockiest person on the beach and really expect them to vote you to win. Russell lost. That is now a fact. It can't be changed. So obviously there were some flaws in his master plan. The game is over and Natalie outlasted Russell no matter how stupid that fact is.

Edited on 12/21/2009 8:50pm

drig44

[60]Dec 21, 2009
    • level: 4
    Money and title or not, I, and I'm sure a lot of others, will always consider Russel the winner of this season.