Survivor Forums

Wednesday 8:00 PM on CBSIn Season

Corrine blindsided

silvioStrippers

[1]Apr 4, 2013
    • level: 6

Hey, she was great to look at, and I'll miss her walking around in her Victoria Secrets, but WTF was with her and the gay guy??? She loved this guy, but I don't understand why? Did she say and I missed it?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

mcepin3

[2]Apr 4, 2013
    • level: 17

She said she loves gays. So him being gay,made Corinne love him just for that.

anthem47

[3]Apr 4, 2013

Yeah I think she just gets along well with gay guys usually, which is stereotyping a bit but they did seem to genuinely bond well, so it must have been based on something. You're right it was a bit crass though. "Love me a gay!", yeah nice Corinne, his name is Michael by the way >.> It's hard to tell though because we don't really see them just hanging around camp much. As much as I love the game and prefer it feeling more like a game show than a reality show, I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more non-game interaction to get a feel for who's who. Like in this episode, they said Sherri is "weird". Is she? Who knows, they never show us these things!

AdaHui

[4]Apr 5, 2013
    That's one of the things that annoyed me the most about Corrinne. Her constant referral to Michael as "the gay". As if he's a different entity than human. Seriously, so rude, IMO.

EdgeOfThorns316

[5]Apr 5, 2013
    • level: 8
    Yea, i dont think ive ever in my life heard someone refer to someone as "the gay"....i mean, call me crazy but that sounds so absolutely rude i cant even begin.

mcepin3

[6]Apr 6, 2013
    • level: 17

I think she called him Michael and yes also gay,but the way they edit episodes,it was shown only as her calling him gay. I also get how some people are offended as labeling someone in such a way,but(again I think) Corinne didn't meant it once in a bad way.

EdgeOfThorns316

[7]Apr 7, 2013
    mcepin3 wrote:

I think she called him Michael and yes also gay,but the way they edit episodes,it was shown only as her calling him gay. I also get how some people are offended as labeling someone in such a way,but(again I think) Corinne didn't meant it once in a bad way.

Its not that she called him gay, its that numerous times in her sentence structure should would keep saying, "well all i have to do is convince "the" gay"

Or "i have "the" gay in my back pocket".

There is just something not right with that. Calling him gay is fine, calling him "the gay"...is just where it takes a turn imho.

marknmo

[8]Apr 8, 2013
    • level: 12

I really liked Corrine this season, and I was sad to see her go. I keep hoping someone will best Phillip out of the game, but it's just not going to happen, I think.

About Corrine's use of "the gay" labeling - I agree it was unconventional, but I wasn't bothered by it at all. Listening to everything she was saying, she meant it completely well - she was constantly saying things like how she loves "the gays" and such. To me, that example is no different than referring to a specific group of people, like if she was just saying "I love the jews." Yes, some phrases have been abused in languages, but "the gays" is still an acceptable way to describe the group of people she was referring to, since they are, after all, gay.

As for her calling Michael "the gay," I'm not bothered by that, either. Michael was "the gay" in the group. Corrine is smart enough at recognizing what she needed to do in the game to proceed, as are lots of the players this season. She knows how the game is structured and seems to know the inner workings of success for it. Having that great of an understanding of the game, these players probably all understand the casting design as well. Every season has specific casting roles that are filled. This season, Michael was "the gay" role in the casting. Her calling him "the gay" could have been some sort of joke the two of them shared, or even the entire tribe shared, cause they know he's the token gay guy of the season. He may have started referring to himself as that first, even, as a joking way of letting everyone know that, yes, he's gay, but to also get people to like him by playing into his casting position and using it to make people laugh. There could be a whole side story that the editors just didn't show us.

I think overall this was Corrine's way of being endearing through her edgy personality. She's got a sharp tongue, but I think she can also control that sharpness so that it grazes you in a tender way if she likes you. Yes, saying "the gay" is taboo, but given the context of what she was saying and her intentions, I don't believe she crossed a line here.

Edited on 04/08/2013 11:45am

EdgeOfThorns316

[9]Apr 8, 2013
    I guess in this PC world we live in, and im not PC at all and honestly i hate how PC everyone is....it just felt weird to me. Basically my stance is, why not just call him "Michael"....since thats his name, why title him the gay?

Like i said, im the most un-PC person in the world....and it bothered me.