Survivor Forums

Wednesday 8:00 PM on CBSIn Season

Jeff Probst Ranks All 19 Seasons

S13AR10AFan

[1]Feb 27, 2010
    • level: 9

Here's a link. http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20343257,00.html

If you don't want to read the commentary, here's the list with my commentary:

19. Thailand (Brian was a great winner, but yeah, it stunk otherwise)
    18. Marquesas (not terrible)
    17. Fiji (yeah, poor)
    16. Guatemala (a bit higher maybe)
    15. Vanuatu (see Guatemala)
    14. Gabon (Eh...)
    13. Panama (Cirie was awesome here)
    12. Africa (meh)
    11. Tocantins (see Gabon)
    10. Amazon (that was a good one)
    9. Cook Islands (this is my #1. That comeback...WOW.)
    8. Australia (good one)
    7. All Stars (yep!)
    6. China (a little lower)
    5. Pearl Islands (I hate the Outcast thing more than Probst does. So dumb. But good otherwise)
    4. Palau (One of the few seasons where pre-merge is better than merge. That was awesome.)
    3. Samoa (NOT THAT HIGH! Just because Russell was awesome...geez! #3!)
    2. Micronesia (good, not fabulous. Still in the top half)
    1. Borneo (his #1 is my #2. Classic season.)

Do you agree with Probst?

I personally really liked his list, except Samoa at #3. Russell was the season's one saving point, and that damn jury...

Also, Cook Islands is way higher IMO. That cast...each of them impacted the game big time.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Goliath_unit

[2]Feb 27, 2010
    • level: 5
    Samoa should be MUCH lower. It was a horrible cast and having Russell shoved down our throats (and who I cannot possibly see why people like him in the first place) made this a bad season to watch. If I were to hear about a tribe down 8-4 and come back, I thought it would've been the greatest season ever, but with Russell.... ew.

Australia and Cook Islands should be MUCH higher IMO, but other than that, I agree with him on the list.

D-DawgMan1

[3]Feb 28, 2010
    • level: 48
    I mostly agree.

I'd put Australia as my Second favorite because I like the castaways in that season. They were a good cast.

Everything else I mostly agree with. Samoa should be a little lower, maybe at Number 5. Russell did keep it interesting, but with everything that happened, it should be a little lower.

Borneo is (and probably always will be) NUMBER ONE! I've never seen a season that could beat it and probably never will. It was just great!

martinfjord

[4]Feb 28, 2010
    • level: 4
    Maybe we could post our lists here and see how it compares to Jeff's, my has only 5 matches with his. I think Borneo as No1 is a sentimental pick, (as Jeff says its like your first girlfriend, always has a special place in your heart) I also think that Guatemala and Panama are really under-rated and China is just ridiculously over-rated. Other than that I actually like Jeff's list. Here is mine:

19. Thailand (no doubt, it was a dark season, highly unlikeable people, care factor = zero) 18. Vanuatu (poor casting)
    17. Fiji (poor casting but better twists)
    16. Maraquesas (this is the only season i didnt see in full, it could be a little higher)
    15. China (most over-rated season ever, complete morrons led by annoying short dude)
    14. Borneo (ive bought the dvds to watch this season after Palau and it was just sloooooooow, utter boredom, seeing it on TV back in 2000 coulda been a different experience, seeing it today is just crap)
    13. Africa (one of the better oldschool sh1tz)
    12. Gabon (weakest cast ever, but the storyline was still kinda decent, good twists and all, but when you have a mexican housekeeper and a 60yrs of high school teacher from Maine in F2, hard to get that excited)
    11. Australia (really good cast, and this one didnt get rusty over the times, good show)
    10. Tocantins (if it wasnt for Coach and Tyson It would be somewhere between Fiji and Vanuatu, with that two it was the funniest season to date)
    09. Amazon (good location, good twists, casting coulda been must have been refreshing at that time and its entertaining)
    08. Guatemala (most under-rated season, absolute killer location, bad winner but hey, most winners are bad)
    07. All Stars (cool stuff, best one-man show ever)
    06. Samoa (wait a minute, maybe this was the best one-man show ever)
    05. Micronesia (highly unpredictable for the most of it and the first that had real comedy value too, thanks napoleon dynamite, i mean eric)
    04. Palau (THE ONLY winner I really like no one was as deserving as Tom in the history of the show, brilliant location too)
    03. Panama (also under-rated by many, personally I loved Terry's battle against all odds, if he won it, it would be hands-down the BEST season)
    02. Pearl Islands (classic stuff with epic twists)
    01. Cook Islands (moral story, I just wish Ozzy's won it, other than that it was perfect, life can write the best under-dog stories)

yaminion

[5]Feb 28, 2010
    • level: 23
    what do you guys think about what jeff said about pearl islands. would you agree that the outcast twist was lame because savage may have got robbed and lil made the final 2 or are you glad they had it because burton made the game interesting and fairplay was able to get to the faily challenges and told one of the most evil lies ever on survivor?

CJ42090

[6]Feb 28, 2010
    • level: 12
    Samoa is way too high on his list. Way too high.

vmandkingdomfan

[7]Feb 28, 2010
    • level: 2

Ranking! Fun

19.) Africa: I found this season so boring. It was the hardest to get through with all the stupid gameplay and annoying characters(Lex and Big Tom? Bleh) Although Ethan is not a bad winner looking back.

18.) Fiji: The has-not versus the rich team was one of the worst ideas survivor has ever had. The season was saved from last by yau-man.

17.) Thailand: I don't hate this season as much as some people do. The final immunity challenge was brutal and it was a very funny season. A bunch of **** holes who don't realize their **** holes? Gold. Brian is a slimy prick who shoots dogs with arrows.

16.) cook Islands: I hate Cook Islands! The characters were barely fleshed out. I love comebacks, but when it is four very boring people it's no fun to watch. The bottle twist was just producers meedling so the Aitu four could continue their comeback. Jonathan, parvati, Candice, and Nate were fun to watch though.

15.) Samoa: the Russel show. I can only take so much of a player calling himself the best when he is clearly not. Russel forgot about the social game when that is 50% of what survivor is about. Outplay, outwit, and outlast with one's tribe mates. Natalie winning makes this season better than the others below it. She played a much better game than Russel, because not only did she make key moves(Eric boot) but she played a great social game. Natalie has said that she had an alliance going with laura and Kelly which would have saved her, but she knew Russel had the idol so she stayed with the Foa Foa four.

14.) Tocantins: Eh. The tyson boot was funny and Coach provided some laughs, but not the most exciting season. If Erinn won it would be higher.

13.) Gabon: I liked Kenny and Crystal. Sugar was somewhat fun to watch, but she handed the win to Bob which makes this season a very annoying one, but it had a good pre-merge and the post merge was exciting until the last two episodes.

12.) All Stars: The pre merge was akward and glorious. Post-merge was rather boring with really the only exciting moment being the Shii-devil winning immunity. Plus theheated final tribal.

11.) Palau: Pre-merge is what makes this season great. Stephenie was a great hero to root for and Katie supplied a slew of one-liners." We can't make a female alliance because Karen sucks." Tom winning was a little too anti climatic.

10.)Bornero: the first season may be a little bit dated, but its still fun to look back at how Richard Hatch developed how the game is played. The finale episode is one of the top three survivor episodes of all time.

9.) Panama Exile island: the Casaya tribe was very funny to watch in their beautiful dysfunction. Shane was robbed of a spot on heroes vs villains. Aras and Danielle were a great final two even though Danielle played a better game and lost.

8.) Vanuatu: Yes, Chris is a fat **** however, i really enjoyed watching the ruthless female alliance headed by queen Ami. Eliza was a great character who I would want to see play for a third time.

7.) The Australian outback: maybe one of the best casted seasons in the history of survivor. Tina was a great strategic mastermind and a great winner. Jerri and Colby were always entertaining and Elisabeth was such a sweet heart before she became a psycho **** on the view.

6.) Pearl Islands: Love Sandra, Jon, and the randomness. What doesn't give this a spot in the top five is the outcast twist and the camera whore Rupert who had no idea how to play the game.

5.) Marqueses: Great, Great, Great season! The first time there was a power shift in survivor history. kathy was an awesome charatcer to root for, John was an awesome villain who got his just deserts for being so damn cocky, and the Paschal andNelly relationship was so sweet. Vecepia winning may of been anti-climatic, but looking back she did play agood game even though the edit ignored her.

4.) China: Todd ran this season and he was great at it. HowTodd playedis how Russel should of played the game. Great characters in Courtney, Peih-gee, Jean-Robert, Erik, Denise, Frosti, James, Amanda, and Todd. Great cast even though fairly predictible gameplay.

3.) Guatamela: Underated as hell. The transformation into evil Steph was a fun one to watch. Her and Rafe kept trying to cover their ****es which allowed Danni to slip through the cracks and claim the 2nd greatest underdog win. The pre-merge was also filled with awesome characters.

2. Amazon: The most unpredictible early season and the best pre all stars season. Rob was always fun to watch along withbubbly Heidi. The transformation of Jenna from a **** into a true player was awesome and made for the number 1 underdog win in survivor.

1.) Micronesia: Every week I had my mouth hanging open. The first female alliance that worked. Parvati made for imo the best winner out of every survivor season.

My pov prob differs from casual fans.

Goliath_unit

[8]Feb 28, 2010
    • level: 5

This is my list (I didn't do Borneo since its too different from the others. It feels like an entirely different experience than all of the others):

1 Fiji: Yao-Man saved the season, but this season was a bore.

17) Vanauatu: Never liked this season. Weak cast. Chris' comeback was amazing, but I never got into this season.

16) Samoa: Poor cast, I DESPISE Russell. The Foa Foa comeback was fun to watch, but Russell being shoved down our throats annoyed the hell out of me. Best part of the season was Russell losing.

15) Thailand: I don't think it is as bad as people say, but it is still pretty weak.

14) Tocantins: JT was a likable winner, Coach and Tyson made it entertaining, but other than those three, it was a boring season.

13) Guatamala: This season isn't bad, but I don't consider it great either.

12) Marquesias: Loved the power shift in it. Could've been better, but I like it better than most others do.

11) Panama: Exile Island: Loved Terry's heroic struggle to stay in the game and Shane was one of the funniest Survivors ever (should've been a Villain this season)

10) Africa: Decent cast with Lex, Big Tom, Ethan and Kelly. Brandon's HUGE blunder was also memorable and shaped the game, but no water source made it more boring than it should've been.

9) Amazon: Rob was a mastermind at the game and Jenna turned into a very different person after the season ended. Cast wasn't that great but it was a good season.

Gabon: I liked this season more than most did. I loved Sugar, the power shift after Marcus got voted out, Randy going out due to the fake idol (and Crystal's voting speech before that), and an underdog winner taking it.

7) China: The twist which eventually screwed Aaron over was one of my least favourite twists ever. However, Todd was a true Survivor mastermind, gave birth to two of the most popular characters in James and Amanda, and the rest of the cast was decent as well.

6) Palau: Great season. The pre-merge was better than the post-merge, but it was still entertaining to watch, and Tom is a true Hero, and one of the greatest winners ever.

5) All-Stars: I was a little disappointed to watch, but watching Rob power through the game, Lex's blunder and a very bitter jury still made it one of my favourites.

4) Pearl Islands: Gave birth to the most popular Survivor ever in Rupert, one of the biggest villains in Johnny Fairplay, an unpredictable boot order and one of the most underrated winners ever. Outcast twist was one of the worst, but it didn't destroy the season.

3) Cook Islands: Loved the cast of Ozzy, Yul, Johnathan, Parvati and Candice (I loved Candice, unlike a lot of others). The comeback was amazing, and it had arguably the greatest final two ever in Ozzy and Yul.

2) Micronesia: Four blindsides in a row, an extremely powerful female alliance, two people voted out due to hidden immmunity idols and the biggest blunder in Survivor history made this a great season week after week.

1) Australian Outback: I don't think that there has ever been a greater cast in Survivor history, and I don't think there ever will be. Elisabeth has been my favourite Survivor forever, Colby was a true Hero (and right behind Elisabeth as my favourite Survivor ever), Tina was one of my favourite winners, Jerri becoming the first female villain, and some memorable characters behind them too (Jeff, Michael, Rodger, Alicia , Amber). Kel's beefjerkey incident, Michael killing the pig and falling into the fire, Alicia/Kimmi going at it, the flood washing away the camp. This season delivered every week and did not get rusty for me.

Edited on 03/29/2010 2:08pm

EdgeOfThorns316

[9]Mar 1, 2010
    • level: 8
    Yea that list is decent, i agree about Samoa....other than russell it was one of the worst ever if you ask me. That group of people was so boring, it was just bad. And like someone above said, rusell got crammed down our throats and i got tired of it.

For me, my number 1 season is Australia....i know it was a different game back then, but i liked that. I liked that it was a game more around survival, and THEN it was "oh who do we vote out?"...it was just a simpler time in the game which is what made it enjoyable and just seeing that cast was such a joy.

D-DawgMan1

[10]Mar 1, 2010
    • level: 48
    yaminion wrote:
    what do you guys think about what jeff said about pearl islands. would you agree that the outcast twist was lame because savage may have got robbed and lil made the final 2 or are you glad they had it because burton made the game interesting and fairplay was able to get to the faily challenges and told one of the most evil lies ever on survivor?

I think that it just depends on how you look at it. I think it should have been handled a little better. I don't think they should have been given Immunity before going right back into the game.

Not to reference another show, but when Big Brother allowed somebody back into the game, they didn't automatically give them Immunity. I think the voting still would have went the same even if they could have voted out Burton or Lillian.

I think Fairplay still would have made it as far as he did even without the Outcast twist. I have no doubt in my mind about that.

ImNotDarioUAre

[11]Mar 25, 2010
    • level: 11

Samoa was honestly one of my favorites. Russell gets too much credit for it. The fact that a team of four could go into a merge and dismantle an 8 person alliance was amazing.

imbrugliasboy

[12]Mar 28, 2010
    • level: 3

My favourite season was "all stars" but to be honest i love every one! I watch an episode every day whilst on my exercise bike and even though i know whats going down i always cheer when the blindsides go down at tribal.

vmandkingdomfan

[13]Apr 3, 2010
    • level: 2

imbrugliasboy wrote:

My favourite season was "all stars" but to be honest i love every one! I watch an episode every day whilst on my exercise bike and even though i know whats going down i always cheer when the blindsides go down at tribal.

All stars left a bad taste in my mouth due to the intense negative energy.

I love me an Amber win though.