Survivor Forums

Wednesday 8:00 PM on CBSIn Season

My proposal to tweak the game a slight bit.

EdgeOfThorns316

[1]May 5, 2012
    • level: 8

So heres my issue with survivor. Its figured out, yes its always interesting to watch and i love this game. But Survivor has been through many changes and i feel that there is something that "needs" to be done so that the strong arent judged so quick to be a threat, heres what i think would be unique and something to change the game up in a way weve never seen before.

So as we all know, if youre any kind of athlete, youre pretty much gone asap. Now the issue i have is i feel that we get way more boring little coattail riders these days, whereas i think some of the better contestants are gone way to soon "because" people dont want to face them come the merge.

Well, heres my idea.

I think that after they merge in challenges that people are paired into "twos" and win immunity for the both of them. Yes, that would mean that two people are immune during Tribal.

What this does though is makes you think about who you get rid of so quick. So basically this would mean that you WANT a strong person on your challenge group, and therefore it wont be so cut and dry to get rid of the so called strong players.

This would only be for challenges after the merge. They would probably draw teams with stones, and you are striving to win but you wouldnt want to so quickly get rid of the strong.

Because i find it annoying that half the time, the so called strong players suck at challenges. Not everyone is an Ozzy or Colby or Rob out there, so i think its stupid how we see so many possibly interesting players are gone from the game so early.

Since so many challenges are puzzles and athletic stuff, it would be interesting because while you may want someone out...they may be quite a valuable asset IF you are teamed with them in a challenge which could win you immunity. Think of the possibilities with this little tweak, i think the game would become confusing again for people, it wouldnt be so easy to just say "hey you with the muscles, youre a threat"....they just may need that dude to win immunity.

I think it would be great, and i think it would breath life into the beauty of Survivor.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

lost

[2]May 7, 2012
    • level: 4

Sounds like a pretty good idea that would mix up the game a bit more. I also hate seeing the strong players go so early just because they're considered to be such a "threat".

EdgeOfThorns316

[3]May 7, 2012

lost wrote:

Sounds like a pretty good idea that would mix up the game a bit more. I also hate seeing the strong players go so early just because they're considered to be such a "threat".

Me too, it sucks because soon as you see someone thats got an athletic look, they are going to be gone. Its like they cast more of the smaller type people and they seem to band together more than anything.

This way i feel it would make someone WANT a strong person around through the whole game. I have been thinking of numerous ways to do it and this to me seems like the most efficient way to do so without changing too much of the game.

Edited on 05/07/2012 3:09pm

Dragonsteel

[4]May 9, 2012
    • level: 1
    How about make the game all individual immunity from the start all the way to the end of the game and the last person to finish is out of the game. Create challenges that require brains and athletics and strategy in every challenge. Rename the game Sole Survivor: Last Man Standing.

dragonradar

[6]May 9, 2012
    • level: 11
    Dragonsteel wrote:
    How about make the game all individual immunity from the start all the way to the end of the game and the last person to finish is out of the game. Create challenges that require brains and athletics and strategy in every challenge. Rename the game Sole Survivor: Last Man Standing.

this is an interesting concept. Which is somewhat fair. although doesn't stop the fact that they would still vote off the "strong" competitors.

I like EdgeOfThorns316's proposal. The only thing is I don't think they'll sway away from the tribe vs tribe formula.

EdgeOfThorns316

[7]May 9, 2012
    dragonradar wrote:
    Dragonsteel wrote:

this is an interesting concept. Which is somewhat fair. although doesn't stop the fact that they would still vote off the "strong" competitors.

I like EdgeOfThorns316's proposal. The only thing is I don't think they'll sway away from the tribe vs tribe formula.

Actually Dragon, tribe vs tribe would be just as it is. My idea means "after" tribes, when they merge, they go into a team formula for immunity which makes someone want that strong person to further their chances.

So lets say im a weak player, but some dude named John is like James perhaps...maybe my initial instinct is to get rid of him but knowing that when we merge i could be teamed with him so that we "both" win immunity, i would maybe keep him around.

I think thats honestly the only way to do it without tampering with the game itself too much.

anthem47

[8]May 10, 2012
    • level: 6

I'm not too sure on the idea, but I just wanted to throw one thing in there...you're totally right about strength not being as important as people make it out to be. It seems to make a big difference in tribe vs tribe challenges, but once you get down to individual immunity there's just too many variables. Also - I won't pretend to know anything about fitness, but it seems to me there's size and strength and then things like athleticism, dexterity and balance. Guys like Michael or Jay from this season are big guys and probably quite strong, but not necessarily high on the other three (athleticism, dexterity, balance). I seem to remember in Ozzy's first season he didn't immediately jump out to anybody as a physical threat.

So yeah it does seem unfair that stronger players are so heavily targeted. I've always liked that there's that balance in this game, that it's not just all about strength, but you're right the pendulum has swung too far the other way.

This might not address the issue, but I do sometimes wish there was more than one immunity going. When they merge at 12 like this season and one person wins immunity, immunity doesn't often make much of a difference. You can come second out of 12 and it doesn't mean anything. Also when it's a 6v5 split, those 6 people will just cycle around who they vote off regardless of who gets immunity.

(As a side note, re: the suggestion of a no-tribes season, would there still be 18 players? You'd need a voting block of 10 people in the first episode, haha, I would love to see someone corral that many people)

EDIT: Oh but to address the suggestion, you could possibly end up with two weaker players on the same tag-team, or a powerhouse combo of two strong players. Unless it wasn't random?

Edited on 05/10/2012 4:59am

Dragonsteel

[9]May 10, 2012
    • level: 1
    dragonradar wrote:
    Dragonsteel wrote:

I think you miss understood my concept, I should have stated it as the person who finishes last in a challenge is out of the game and there is no tribal vote off or if you just love the tribal vote off then take the last three to finish a challenge and put them up for a vote off.

EdgeOfThorns316

[10]May 10, 2012
    Dragon, the main reason im not down to much with that is because the game itself as a whole would changed dramatically to where it wouldnt feel much like Survivor if there werent two tribes. The only reason i feel my idea would work is because you still start off with 2 tribes, one tribal immunity, then the merge, and then its duo immunity which all that changes is 2 people have immunity going into tribal after the merge, its just less of a shock to the game overall i think.

Anthem, most definitly you could get two weaker ones as a duo. It would change challenge to challenge, it could be a school yard pick, it could be drawing rocks...the point is to have that chance of having a stronger member whether its physical str or more agility etc...on your side.

I think people would then in the social game not be so quick to say "well once we get to the merge hes going to win every challenge, he needs to go now".

That statement i think would become a thing of the past.

dragonradar

[11]May 10, 2012
    • level: 11
    EdgeOfThorns316 wrote:
    dragonradar wrote:
    Dragonsteel wrote:

Actually Dragon, tribe vs tribe would be just as it is. My idea means "after" tribes, when they merge, they go into a team formula for immunity which makes someone want that strong person to further their chances.

So lets say im a weak player, but some dude named John is like James perhaps...maybe my initial instinct is to get rid of him but knowing that when we merge i could be teamed with him so that we "both" win immunity, i would maybe keep him around.

I think thats honestly the only way to do it without tampering with the game itself too much.

Sorry, reading comprehension fail on my part. I missed the after merge part.
    Dragonsteel wrote:
    dragonradar wrote:
    Dragonsteel wrote:

I think you miss understood my concept, I should have stated it as the person who finishes last in a challenge is out of the game and there is no tribal vote off or if you just love the tribal vote off then take the last three to finish a challenge and put them up for a vote off.

Sorry, I failed reading here too. But I don't think its a good idea to entirely get rid of the voting system. It would then be too unfair to the "weak". since if you remove the voting system there is no reason for schemes or strategic plays... just good competition. Which is fair but somewhat boring.