Survivor Forums

Wednesday 8:00 PM on CBSIn Season

Survivor 26

silvioStrippers

[1]Dec 21, 2012
    • level: 6

Anyone hoping they go back to the old days and stop stuffing food down their throats evey 3 days??? What happened to rice, fish, bugs and gross stuff like that?? Remember those days? Drinking ox blood mixed with milk. That was great TV. Now they are pampered. I wonder what changed.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

mcepin3

[2]Dec 21, 2012
    • level: 16

yep, I agree. "Old school" Survivor was/is the best. 7 person jury,2 finalists and people in finals, who deserve to be there. More or less was really surviving out there, with lack of food,became who can hang in there mentally. Great competitors and people willing to play game, take risks, do blindsides,etc.

What changed, is how "old" Survivor as a game/reality tv has become. People watch previous seasons and from those they create their plans how to play the game. Challenges pretty much repeat themselves, very rare we see any really different challenge from all those before.

I like watching Real World/Road Rules The Challenge show as well and it is the same thing there(more or less,since they are not completely the same shows). Back in the day,it wasn't so much drama,backstabbing,etc. People came to compete and nowdays you got all sorts of wannabe celebrities and some really nasty characters, who just cause drama,fights,etc.

Edited on 12/21/2012 11:56pm

EdgeOfThorns316

[3]Dec 22, 2012
    • level: 8
    I agree, im rewatching All Stars and they get to their island with a machete and thats it, and they werent given fire at tribal...they had to actually start the fire on their own, or after a few days when Jeff cut them all a deal for flint. I miss these types of elements in the game where it wasnt just a basic, get to the island, get your flint quick, get fire from tribal, have rice etc....

I mean that to me is brutal, and Survivor needs to bring back the Survival elements. Man, that was rough for them to not have fire and all they had was a machete.

See the problem today is since its so easy, they can just sit and plot nonstop. Whereas before they had to actually come together as a tribe and get these things going, which then down the road it turns into more planning, plotting etc...

I agree on the 7 man jury, it also made the season last longer to me for some reason. But i think a final 3 is stupid to be honest, because its always a final 2 even with 3 pretty much since someone is generally not even a consideration.

anthem47

[4]Dec 22, 2012
    • level: 6
    EdgeOfThorns316 wrote:
    But i think a final 3 is stupid to be honest, because its always a final 2 even with 3 pretty much since someone is generally not even a consideration.

That's true, although I think even though someone usually gets zero votes, going down to final 2 doesn't guarantee that zero-vote person is gone. I mean the first time they did it with Yul, Ozzy and Becky, the votes were 5-4-0, (one of the closer tribal votes!) but if those three had gone on to final 2, depending on who won a final immunity, I think either Yul or Becky would have booted Ozzy and taken the other, pretty much giving Yul a clean sweep. So in that season I thought it was a good change. Or even this season, unless Denise won a final immunity, Skupin and Lisa would have booted her.

So yeah I'm not defending it really, I don't mind either way, but I can see how sometimes it does make a difference. Something that just occured to me...if they had started the final 3 system one season earlier with Panama, Terry probably would have won instead of Aras. I wonder if that had something to do with it coming in.

Nine person jury I'm not a fan of though. It's just too big, and since they seem to start the jury at the same time as the merge, I think it pushes the merge a bit earlier than it used to be (not sure on that one, but it feels like it). I do remember in Heroes vs Villains two jury members came from pre-merge(!), potentially voting for people they had barely met, but I suppose it wasn't as big a problem that season.

Actually, having thought about it, maybe they were trying to avoid a situation where the first two votes after merge, which are usually pretty critical, are people who don't get a say in the final vote.

EdgeOfThorns316

[5]Dec 22, 2012
    • level: 8
    Oh im fine with a sweep, its just i find that in any sort of competition having the finale be battled out by 2 remaining entities is just a lot more practical.

I think final 3 just guarantees that someone is really not a factor, and id rather have 2 people where it might be a lot closer overall since theres only 2 sitting there and only those 2.

mcepin3

[6]Dec 23, 2012
    • level: 16

On final 3:

I agree,3rd person really doesn't matter much.Here are some reasons: Either jury(and we audience) sees them as coasting along or they so pissed at that X person being there instead of them,when Y person on jury thinks he/she played better game then they did,so for that reason they will never give them vote--->meaning they didn't do anything worthy being in finals or were just so much under the radar,that they stayed there even,when is time to get votes for win.

Sorry to say,but in every season,..yes every season, 3rd person was just there for...well I have no idea why they were there

I didn't love Skupin first time on Survivor,but he changed my mind in this season,but that said,I just couldn't see him winning game over Denise,Malcolm or even Lisa. Yes over Abi 100% He was saying how he was such a threat as returning player,but only real threat of vets was Penner. But this season at least all 3 people in final got 1 vote,not just 2 of them.

With 3rd person in jury it kinda gives another option yes,but if you were to have final 2,then jury would only have option of choosing either one or the other. As anthem47 said,if in Panama were final 3,Terry would have won with landslide,but they only had option of Aras and Danielle. If it were final 3, jury might consider Danielle,but saying it again, if Terry would be there,there would be no vote for any other person.

Becky got no votes(fact,that she couldn't start fire was woooow ) and there are dozens of others,but I can't remember some of their names,because they were just a snooze-fest.

I love to a certain degree fact,that jury is pissed or bitter at who is sitting in final tribal. While it should be "hey congrats,no hard feelings",we know that isn't the case. Some people go and play "balls to the walls" game,some play very strategic game and some think,if they win every immunity challenge,they should win by default. Some are like,congrats on betraying everyone and stabbing them,scarring them emotionally for life and you got my vote for doing all of those,but some are really hurt by those actions(remember Kathy,Lex and Tom?...that was brutal,what Rob did to them).

Edited on 12/23/2012 2:18pm

mcole19018

[7]Dec 23, 2012
    • level: 1
    I think the idea of returning players again is good I hope Brenda from Survivor Nicaragua comes back as a favorite