Survivor Forums

Wednesday 8:00 PM on CBSIn Season

Survivor E1 - Blood is Thicker than Anything Discussion Thread

maritimer00

[1]Sep 18, 2013
    • level: 71

This is a discussion thread for the first episode in the Survivor: Blood Vs. Water. Spoilers are allowed.

Interesting that two got sent right away to Redemption Island...and that Rupert STILL hasn't learned about strategy in the game. He takes his wife's place and severely hinders both his and his wife's chances in the long term, imo. Btw, I was a wee bit surprised that Colton didn't get voted off right away...memories must be short, I guess.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

skbrettbug

[2]Sep 18, 2013
    • level: 19

maritimer00 wrote:

This is a discussion thread for the first episode in the Survivor: Blood Vs. Water. Spoilers are allowed.

Interesting that two got sent right away to Redemption Island...and that Rupert STILL hasn't learned about strategy in the game. He takes his wife's place and severely hinders both his and his wife's chances in the long term, imo. Btw, I was a wee bit surprised that Colton didn't get voted off right away...memories must be short, I guess.

I picked the Roop in the pool, I guess I am starting to regret that

And me too, Colton was my initial thought to get kicked out.

And by the way...GO RED SOX!

maritimer00

[3]Sep 18, 2013
    • level: 71
    Quick note on the tribal challenge: Gervase swimming...no, just no....that should have cost them the challenge but they got lucky at the puzzle part.

skbrettbug

[4]Sep 18, 2013

maritimer00 wrote:
    Quick note on the tribal challenge: Gervase swimming...no, just no....that should have cost them the challenge but they got lucky at the puzzle part.

That celebration...

mcepin3

[5]Sep 19, 2013
    • level: 17

What a great start of season. Couple of jaw dropping moments at start,few times laughed my ass off as well. Gonna be a little longer post,since it is first episode.

Woow,Candice got voted off quick. Guess people see through her fake smiles. I thought she will be flying under radar and stabbing people in the back. Her husband is a coward,for not stepping up. But I am glad Candice is already "out". At least I won't have to listen to her fake speech on her high horse,if she loses in RI.

Go Rupert,but at the same time...damn! Think Probst really fucked him up,because he said to him and only him,if he really loves his wife,now is the time to prove it and Rupert of course went right ahead. Probst didn't ask John same question. He just gave him a chance to swap place. Whimp.

I am glad,that Rupert isn't doing much and just resting there,because no need to do much,since you are not really in the game,but not really out of it. Laura also is in a tough spot. Think she might be first to go,if/when returnees lose.

Colton had two great funny moments. First is at start with "hello,I am Colton,did you not see my season"..2nd is on that boat Caleb is level headed guy,so I wish him the best and that he gets far.

Monica is 2-faced bitch and her husband is dumb. If Cochran was there,he would use him as a piece to advance and vote him off at first chance he don't need him no more. Brad is as thick as Monica...we got 5 guys...then he says,we got 4 guys and a gay guy. Like Caleb is anything less than them. I WANT THIS IDIOT(Brad) OUT NOW!!!

Shame for Marissa,because she could go further in the game,but Gervase really screwed her over. And poor Gervase at that challenge

Tina and Katie didn't really impress me,same goes for Laura and Ciera.

Tyson and Rachel were great. I am rooting for Tyson and seems I judged Rachel wrong for the moment. My bad.

Same goes for Vytas and Aras. I actually like them both atm and rooting for my pick Vytas

Edit: Forgot Kat and Hayden...kinda meh about them atm.

People I am rooting for are: Vytas,Tyson,Rupert,Caleb,Marissa and even Rachel(atm).

People I want out asap : Monica and Brad

Rest I am not decided on..they need to convince me more.

Edited on 09/19/2013 3:48am
    Edited 2 total times.

skbrettbug

[6]Sep 19, 2013

Yeah it was rigged against Rupert, the emotions and all.

EdgeOfThorns316

[7]Sep 19, 2013
    • level: 8
    Of course any survivor season excites me. But I am just really upset that Candace and Rup, the two I was really wanting to see started off this way.

I think Redemption Island in itself is just, well im not a fan lets just say that. I think the family twist was enough in itself, we don't need RI on this season.

But my biggest annoyance and I understand its small, but no opening theme??? Were back to that again?? That just IRKS me beyond belief, that opener just kicks things off for me like you wouldn't believe. But that's simply what the opening themes are meant to do. All shows have them, all shows use them. I don't get why Survivor is exempt from using its classic song.

But overall, should be a good season...from the getgo im not loving the returning cast, but it is what it is. I hope Brad hangs around. I love how he said what is so true, the cochrans of the game are the threats now...being physical is not a threat anymore, the under the radar players now are the bigges threats and he called it perfectly.

Teayay

[8]Sep 19, 2013

Rupert made one of the dumbest moves in Survivor history by changing places with his wife.

- He pissed off his tribe

- He showed his loyalty is only to his wife. Period. Making him useless as a team player to his tribe if he'd be back.

- He showed everyone that he doesn't think his wife can take care of herself, making her a target as well. If the Returnees had lost the IC they would have voted her out pronto.

I can't believe that Colton didn't get voted off straight away when they had the chance. He is such a vicious scheming little troll. It's a mystery what his boyfriend Caleb, who seems really nice, sees in him.

Out with Colton, out with lazy I-can't-swim-Gervase, and then we can start enjoying this season.

joepetrizzo7

[9]Sep 19, 2013
    • level: 9

So much to say...

First off, I was disappointed with the Day Zero twist. It hardly got any screen time and did not show any returnee giving advice to his/her loved one. That was really the only thing I didn't like. I'm glad Rupert is on RI because I never really understood the fuss about him. He was not a good strategic player in his three previous attempts. This showed again when he switched with Laura because he very likely took himself and her out of the game. Unless Colton reverts to his old self (and the previews suggest he does) or Gervase continues to underperform, Laura B. will be out first for Galang. I'm also glad Candice is on RI, but I'm surprised she was voted out because I felt there were better choices. The Tadhana men are going to be a strong alliance. I hate gender-based alliances because I feel they make the season predictable. This is how Hayden won Big Brother - on the first day he formed a strong all-male alliance that was really the brainchild of someone else. I hate Brad's attitude and domineering personality. Vytas is my favorite new player (and not just because I picked him to win in the Outwit/Outlast/Outpredict Game) I like how he came clean about his drug past to some of the castaways and how he tried to form meaningful relationships with the female Tadhanas. He's definitely playing a good, strategic game from the beginning, while not being too obvious about it. Interestingly, I remember reading somewhere that Aras is friends with Tyler/James from Amazing Race 10 and they were also recovering drug addicts.

I like how CBS is showing that drug problems can be beaten. I felt like we didn't get to see enough of Galang.

The Immunity challenge was very reminiscent of the first from Heroes v. Villains. One team fell way behind in the rowing part but caught up and dominated at the puzzle. I thought Galang was done for when Colton was screaming at Kat for not paddling, when he was the one not paddling. I thought Gervase was over the top in his celebration considering he almost cost his tribe immunity. I wouldn't have cared if someone else who had actually done well celebrated as rowdy. I think Tadhana made a huge mistake by not voting out Katie. She didn't really do anything at the puzzle and doesn't look like she would perform any better at a physical competition. Also, I thought she'd be a target because her mother is a previous winner. I could tell Marissa was going home at tribal council when she was talking about judging and Vytas looked at Brad with a look that said "we shouldn't vote her out." I don't think Marissa was an asset to her team, but Katie was a burden.

Right now, I'm rooting for Aras/Vytas. They have what it takes to go to the end. They both can play strategically, yet quietly and are both physically strong that they can help their tribe in challenges, but not so physically strong that they will be a huge threat post-merge. I really want Brad to go next because he's obnoxious. I think going forward contestants are going to want to split up as many pairs as possible before the merge or tribe swap (if there is one.) With the hidden immunity idol rules, I think the duel winner will always give the clue to their loved one if possible, making them a huge target. Rupert will definitely give it to Laura B., but she doesn't seem to have the skills to find it. This will contribute to her downfall when Galang goes to tribal council.

Edited on 09/19/2013 8:36am

skbrettbug

[10]Sep 19, 2013
    Teayay wrote:

Rupert made one of the dumbest moves in Survivor history by changing places with his wife.

- He pissed off his tribe

- He showed his loyalty is only to his wife. Period. Making him useless as a team player to his tribe if he'd be back.

- He showed everyone that he doesn't think his wife can take care of herself, making her a target as well. If the Returnees had lost the IC they would have voted her out pronto.

I can't believe that Colton didn't get voted off straight away when they had the chance. He is such a vicious scheming little troll. It's a mystery what his boyfriend Caleb, who seems really nice, sees in him.

Out with Colton, out with lazy I-can't-swim-Gervase, and then we can start enjoying this season.

Dumbest move ever...that's what I was thinking.

mcepin3

[11]Sep 19, 2013

Rupert didn't really have much choice,after Probst's speech. Yeah ok,he pissed of his tribe,but that is his wife there! Do you get this? This season is different than others. It's not like Rupert went in for total stranger...he went in for his wife(think he says even best friend,soul mate,etc.). Much respect for this. Clearly John is a coward and as buffed up as he is,he is afraid to go against Rupert and just told his wife,she would had better chance. Whimp. Then he cries,how he should be there,etc. Pure BS and cowardness.

He lived in the moment and protected his wife. What will happen later in the game,is for later. Sure,it is full of what if's and when something might happen,but if Rupert stayed and Laura lost first RI challenge,I bet he would beat himself for rest of life,for not swaping places. Also Rupert played for 3 times now,so he wanted to give his wife a chance at proper Survivor game and experience. He even asked her,if she wants to play and she said yes.

About loyalty...it's not like others are loyal to death to their tribe. It's all part of game.

Brad didn't discover new element or something groundbreaking(though I am sure he thinks he did...so full of himself). Physical threats were always on chopping block,when it came to individual immunity and those few lucky ones,who made it to final,didn't win. Some did,some not. People get rid of persons,who they think will win the game. If player is social,physical or all around threat,that's who they will be gunning for. First vote doesn't really matter,because it's too early to tell just based on 3 days.

If you can make proper alliance and have numbers(which is the really most important thing in Survivor),are grounded and not living in clouds(thinking everything is ok,no one will vote you out or see you as threat),then you have very high chance of getting towards end.

EdgeOfThorns316

[12]Sep 19, 2013
    Well heres a few things, firstly though I think it was a bit unfair since Laura was the older woman on the tribe. You got all these young athletic people, it just wasn't really fair to her because I mean lets face it, that stuff doesn't go away. When we all were in school and in gym class, the person that looked like they weren't going to be athletic at all was not picked, simple as that. So I think it was a bit unfair for her because she was doomed from the getgo.

I get ruperts decision, I mean hes played numerous times...if she goes home at RI without even playing that would suck . I just wish Candaces husband would of stepped up...I know he hasn't played but come on man, don't let another man show you up...he should of stepped up to take on Rupert and get back in the game.

I dunno but Candace is lookin hot to me this season....yum.

Yea, how does Colten...that worthless sack of garbage not get voted out instantly??? THAT is a stupid move, they are morons...that was imho an EASY goodbye quick to Colten, so stupid.

skbrettbug

[13]Sep 19, 2013

Colton...how did he stay?

and yes I know about the gym theory very well. Sorry Edge, looks like Candice will not be staying much longer

20 bucks says the Roop wins every battle like Matt Elrod

joepetrizzo7

[14]Sep 19, 2013
    • level: 9
    It's really shocking that Colton, not only stayed, but no one voted him out, not even Monica.

skbrettbug

[15]Sep 19, 2013
    So true.

Teayay

[16]Sep 19, 2013

About Colton. I think that maybe everyone is thinking that it is a strategic move to keep Colton as no one likes him, and no one would vote for him in the end. And that's painfully annoying for us viewers who has to watch him week after week... It's like with FBI-Phillip, who just made me want to go inside my TV screen and just drag him outta there! Out with Colton I'd say, but keep his fiance, who so far has been nothing but sympathetic.

As for Rupert, I still think it was a terrible mistake. I understand why he did it, but he never was a strategic player - he put both himself and his wife on the chopping block. I wouldn't be surprised if Rupert and his wife will be the first couple eliminated from the game. She is an outcast now in the Returnees camp, and would have had more chances in the game if she was connected to the Newbies. She's doomed, and Rupert isn't the best in challenges so his RI experience might be short-lived.

But...

...as I understand the duel rules this season. Before any duel any loved one can make the choice to swap with their other half and take the duel instead. That means that Rupert's wife has the option to do the duel, and, Candice's husband might change his mind too. But I don't think that Gervase would even consider to step up to help his niece.

I think the key factor this season is to realize that you have to let go of your loved one, and accept that they have to play their own game. I'm pretty sure that the winner this year would be someone that watches his/hers loved one get eliminated, but accepts it and moves on. Everyone knows from previous seasons that 'couples' are always considered a threat in this game. That is what Rupert just showed them now. His bond to his wife goes beyond any other alliances, which means everyone sees him and wife as a threat that must eliminated.

skbrettbug

[17]Sep 19, 2013
    Teayay wrote:

About Colton. I think that maybe everyone is thinking that it is a strategic move to keep Colton as no one likes him, and no one would vote for him in the end. And that's painfully annoying for us viewers who has to watch him week after week... It's like with FBI-Phillip, who just made me want to go inside my TV screen and just drag him outta there! Out with Colton I'd say, but keep his fiance, who so far has been nothing but sympathetic.

As for Rupert, I still think it was a terrible mistake. I understand why he did it, but he never was a strategic player - he put both himself and his wife on the chopping block. I wouldn't be surprised if Rupert and his wife will be the first couple eliminated from the game. She is an outcast now in the Returnees camp, and would have had more chances in the game if she was connected to the Newbies. She's doomed, and Rupert isn't the best in challenges so his RI experience might be short-lived.

But...

...as I understand the duel rules this season. Before any duel any loved one can make the choice to swap with their other half and take the duel instead. That means that Rupert's wife has the option to do the duel, and, Candice's husband might change his mind too. But I don't think that Gervase would even consider to step up to help his niece.

I think the key factor this season is to realize that you have to let go of your loved one, and accept that they have to play their own game. I'm pretty sure that the winner this year would be someone that watches his/hers loved one get eliminated, but accepts it and moves on. Everyone knows from previous seasons that 'couples' are always considered a threat in this game. That is what Rupert just showed them now. His bond to his wife goes beyond any other alliances, which means everyone sees him and wife as a threat that must eliminated.

What if his wife did swap next time...

mcepin3

[18]Sep 20, 2013

I think Laura(Rupert's wife) burned any chances with her tribe,because soon as she got first vote and it was only 1 vote at that time,she already flipped and showed she is kinda crazy Last part is a little joke,but she showed her emotions right away. Candice took it in with her fake smile,while Laura took it more personal. Plus tribe already said we don't want you(at least majority did...shame we didn't see,who others wrote down),when they voted her out. And Laura was in danger either way. If she stayed there or is on Galang tribe. At least at Galang she can breathe easy as long as they win. And Probst is guilty of this swap(sorry keep coming back to this,but it's true )

I can take Colton better than Phillip. Phillip was just going on and on,they made him look crazy,etc. Colton says what he thinks,what he says is harsh,but I imagine that's how he is,because how other people treated him in his past. Just part of his defense mechanism he developed to deal with everyday life and people. I am surprised he is with someone like Caleb,because they seem kinda opposite from each other,so I guess it's a good thing for both of them.

skbrettbug

[19]Sep 20, 2013

I do like Phillip better than Colton, in fact I like him a lot.

No offense to anyone but IMHO when they have a gay couple on any of these shows, one of them acts like a stereotypical gay person and another doesn't

Dfan46

[20]Sep 20, 2013
    • level: 15

skbrettbug wrote:

I do like Phillip better than Colton, in fact I like him a lot.

No offense to anyone but IMHO when they have a gay couple on any of these shows, one of them acts like a stereotypical gay person and another doesn't

Colton's mannerisms are stereotypical, but his behavior isn't. I think the gay community is pretty turned off by the show's decision to bring back such a vile player, because he really is a poor representation of his community - his partner on the other hand deserves all the praise he's getting.

Here's what stuck out to me in the premiere:

-The Day Zero twist probably worked better in theory than in execution - nothing really substantial came of it, other than everyone getting a confessional in the intro.

-Rupert definitely hurt both his wife and his chances with his decision to swap. Their chances were slim before, and now they're basically nonexistent.

-I know I predicted the returnees to win the 1st challenge, but I found myself really pulling for the newbies to take it - it's too bad they fell apart at the end.

-Kat definitely had the quote of the night ("Oh, hell no!" in response to Colton's threat on the boat). If she keeps this up, her casting on this season just might be warranted.

-Brad needs a warm glass of shut the hell up (yes, that is a nod to last season's zingbot Corinne)

-Of the newbies, I'm pulling for Rachel, Vytas, and Caleb. I think Rachel may be in trouble though based on her ties to Tyson. Her tribe may send her to RI hoping that Tyson will switch with her and weaken the other team.

-I'm looking forward to Marissa calling out Gervase at the duel - he deserves it after that horrendous display at the challenge.